Fwd: Re: [ga] SSAC releases Wildcards report

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Fwd: Re: [ga] SSAC releases Wildcards report
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 08:26:50 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Note: forwarded message attached.

--- Begin Message ---
  • To: Leah G <jandl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] SSAC releases Wildcards report
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 20:55:22 -0700 (PDT)

Leah G <jandl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You are making the assumption that the courts will see through
Verisign's argument that they are providing a useful service for the
public good as opposed to all the others who claim that "service" is
harmful to the community, unwitting users, the DNS and all other
businesses who reference the .com TLD and don't contract for SiteFinder
advertising. And that doesn't account for those who had no intention of
being tracked by a site they had no desire to visit in the first place
or the other search engine providers who will be shut out by SiteFinder.

At this point it's a he said/she said confrontation. I keep wondering
how a public comment period could work unless it was done by a
non-participating entity asking how people feel about being
automatically taken to an unrequested page without the capability of
preventing it (average user) and being tracked at the same time.
Users already have the Verisign spin. They need the opposing argument
in order to make a determination on their own.

If past court decisions are an indicator of how this might pan out, I'm
not very encouraged. If any weight is given to the SSAC report, it
would be slightly more encouraging.

Leah

No the assumptions have nothing to do with the merits of the underlying CoA. My assumptions are made on Jurisdiction and propriety and priority.  Thresholds must be met to allow a court to review, intervene and/or grant remedy. A threshold when dealing with Govs is "exhaustion of administrative remedies" In this case it would be commissioners overseeing DoC contracts.  You can't even go around doing good things for the Gov without a permit or concession to do so.

If as it appears, Verisign is simply given a license to do what they do they must remain within strictly within that license. Who cares if it is good or bad, first they must get permission. Generally alteration of Gov. licensing requires open public forums, run by the interested Government entities. Again DoC has refused to do so.

The lazy boys over at DoC are to blame here not anyone else.

Eric