Re: [ga] This is funny in a queer sort of way.

  • To: RBHauptman@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] This is funny in a queer sort of way.
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:19:56 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Of course I was not referring to gayness.  But this comment did get me thinking about the gay rights movement and the stakeholder game here. So while I am not gay I called my boyfriend that is and discussed his thoughts. When I told him ICANN was supposed to be "open and Transparent" and a "Bottoms up" group he about died laughing. Then I told him of the dotcommoner that cannot get equal rights because he does not fit the same definition of a "Domain Name Holder". He stopped laughing and asked if it were the same as "marriage". Then he reminded me of how we met. (You see back in the eighties, lawyers could not really come out of the closet, so they hired litigators like I was to represent the gay civil rights.) My friend was just such a Judge. He reminded me of a case I argued for the rights of a gay couple based on a marriage, via common law. But really it was about definitions.  You must understand that at the time of the writing of our constitution "a nigger" or "a woman"!
 or "an
 injun" was not a man and therefor not entitled to vote.
Here are some defintions that may prove useful to revisit;
Stakeholder
Membership
At-large
Communities
gTLD
Restrictive ccTLD
World Wide Web
Internet
Intellectual property
Domain Name
Ownership
Warehousing
Words and their meanings must have commonality of meaning in order that we understand each other.  I have long been an Episcopal Lay minister so I know the lessons and lithurgy by heart. But I do not speak Vietnamese, so with my wife I attend Vietnamese services.  I get the meaning of the service because of habit and customs, she gets it because of each word that is spoken. But we must pay attention and ever vigilante that tradition and static meanings still keep up with the times.
Eric

RBHauptman@xxxxxxx wrote:

well it *is* gay pride month.........

hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> "The following outlines the draft procedure to be followed for the designation of a subsequent registry operator for .net.

<clipped>