Re: [ga] Got a virus, Ken?

  • To: Don Brown <donbrown_l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Got a virus, Ken?
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 23:02:45 -0700
  • Cc: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "kstubbs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <kstubbs@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Netcom Abuse <abuse@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Ken Stubbs (3rd E-mail address)" <kstubbs@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ken Stubbs <kstubbs@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ken Stubbs (Yahoo address)" <kstubbs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Don and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

  No Don, your a good fellow, but in this instance your wrong, I afraid...

  Ken should have taken adequate precautions.  He obviously didn't
or didn't soon enough...  Given his past and lengthy and voluminously
documented behaviors on various forms, leaves in some question
the cause for this possible virus created spoofing of Ken's Email
address...  Hence Richards correctly question of a subject line...

Don Brown wrote:

> [...]
> JW> you desire to continue to receive such fraudulent emails from one
> JW> of several other of Ken Stubbs Email addresses in the future...
>
> JW> Richard Henderson wrote:
>
> >>    I know I've sometimes expressed concerns about Ken Stubbs
> >> association with ICANN and how I wondered if that created a conflict
> >> of interest at the time that he headed up Afilias's (successful)
> >> application for the .info registry... but... I think this virus-laden
> >> message I received today was probably sent unwittingly from your
> >> computer, and I just want to advise you and the members of this list
> >> who may also be in your address book that you seem to have a virus Ken
> >> which is sending out very plausible messages to people making them
> >> think they are about to lose their e-mail accounts for improper use
> >> and tempting them to 'open up' the accompanying document. A phone call
> >> to my e-mail provider confirmed that this message purporting to come
> >> from them was not from them at all. So please be careful if any of you
> >> receive a message like this one below:
> >>

> >> -------------

> >>           Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:33:05 +0100
> >>
> >> Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:34:16 +0100
> >>
> >> To: richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> >>
> >> Subject: E-mail account security warning.
> >>
> >> From: management@xxxxxxxxxxxx

> >>         boundary="--------snip "
> >>

> >> ----------[snip]

> >> Dear user  of Ntlworld.com,
> >>

> >> Your  e-mail account will  be disabled because of improper  using in
> >> next
> >>
> >> three days, if  you  are  still wishing to use  it, please, resign
> >> your
> >>
> >> account information.
> >>

> >> Advanced details can  be  found in attached  file.
> >>

> >> Kind regards,
> >>
> >>    The  Ntlworld.com  team
> >>

> >> ----------[attached file obviously snipped]
> >>

> JW> Regards,
>
> JW> --
> JW> Jeffrey A. Williams
> JW> Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 134k members/stakeholders strong!)
> JW> "Be precise in the use of words and expect precision from others" -
> JW>     Pierre Abelard
>
> JW> "If the probability be called P; the injury, L; and the burden, B;
> JW> liability depends upon whether B is less than L multiplied by
> JW> P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
> JW> United States v. Carroll Towing  (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
> JW> ===============================================================
> JW> Updated 1/26/04
> JW> CSO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security
> JW> IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.
> JW> E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> JW>  Registered Email addr with the USPS
> JW> Contact Number: 214-244-4827
>
> ----
> Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
> donbrown_l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         http://www.inetconcepts.net
> PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
> Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate

    Pierre Abelard