Re: [ga] VeriSign fends off critics at ICANN confab and ALAC's ligitimacy

  • To: Don Brown <donbrown_l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] VeriSign fends off critics at ICANN confab and ALAC's ligitimacy
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 21:09:14 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Don and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

Don Brown wrote:

> See below --
> Thursday, October 9, 2003, 9:47:09 PM, Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [SNIP}
>
> JW> Seems for now at least Site Finder may be back and soon....
>
> Well, "N.S.," Sherlock.  What was the first clue?

  LOL!  Well I'll tell you Don, it was when ICANN threatened
to file suit against Verisign if they didn't take Site Finder down
in 36 hours.

> V$ writes big checks to ICANN and, I assume, takes good care of BoD
> and staff. Regulators, even if ICANN is worthy of that label, have, in
> our American form of Gov and Society, a way of being overly benevolent
> to those they are charged to regulate. ICANN is no different, and even
> worse, in my view.

  Here here!  Yes ICANN and Verisign are joined at the hip so to
speak.  Hence ICANN's legal threat was an obvious empty threat.
But the same is also true or Afilias, Snapnames, Nuestar, ect.,ect..
It is not in ICANN's BoD and especially ICANN's staff best
interest to "Make Trouble" for the hand's that feed it's increasingly
voracious $$ appetite..

> The only way for this dragon to be slain, in my opinion, is for
> Congress to do it and that won't happen until it becomes a political
> football, which they "have to" handle.

  Congress in the senate have already had several hearings regarding
ICANN's goings on a number of times and have warned ICANN
to mend it's ways.  All to no significant effect.  Hence I cannot
agree that Congress in either house, will take much action, especially
in the now ongoing election cycle...  Hence again only DOC/NTIA
can take specific and much needed action to manage this "Dragon"
directly.  In the mean time ICANN's own siblings are testing their
latitudes in the Registry side of things and may continue to do
so again and reach even farther when they do.

> The Registrars have done good things getting the WLS issue before
> Congress, with the introduction of the most recent bill.  I have also
> written to our Representatives in protest of WLS.  But, alas, I am
> just a little guy running a little business.  I don't have the grease
> (spelled grea$e in TX), to make an impact.

  Well there are banks that loan the kind of funds you may require,
as well as you exercising your fund raising skills to gather such
funding, should you have a strong enough desire to do so...

>  I've even written
> Gephardt, who I know personally from when I lived in MO, but didn't
> even receive a form letter.  It takes a lot of letters from a lot of
> people to make a dent . . . .

  Well it really takes allot of financial $$ to make a bigger and effective
dent.

> Just like WLS, ICANN initially came out strongly opposed, but then in
> spite of overwhelming opposition from almost all constituencies, their
> own committee and the GA, they approved it.  Therefore, I'm not very
> surprised, at all, that they are softening on this Site Finder issue
> as well.

  The ICANN BoD only created a problem so it could have something
to actually TRY to solve and justify many of the BoD and staffs existence...

> It has been said many times before: "Follow the money and the truth
> will set you free."

  Indeed oh so true!

> Jeff, as a Marine Pilot, Attorney, Judge, Planner of Desert Storm,
> maybe a candlestick maker - I don't know, among other things, and with
> a following of a Ca-gillion (or whatever number) members, you need
> to take the lead on getting the attention of the legislature.

  We have some inroads Don.  And election time is now in full
swing.

> I'm
> reasonably convinced that we can talk and complain about ICANN all we
> want, but that it won't be productive or make any difference. It is no
> different than when a little guy, a common citizen, goes into
> litigation with big insurance or a big corp - it is much harder to
> win, although right as rain, against the almighty dollar.

  Well I have done it myself 7 times. Once just recently against
one of your "big insurance" corps.  And I didn't even have
to go to court this time.  No Don, apply the axiom of
IPC - Insistence, Persistence, and Consistence...

> That's the fight here and until the Calvary (Legislature) takes a real
> charge, those ICANN and V$ Indians are going to hang scalps in their
> teepees.

Or have repetitive BM's in their loin cloths...

> That's the reality of it, as I see it and the reason you don't see me
> very active on the list. Let's cut through the B.S., call it like it
> really is and then do something about it.  Make it a political issue,
> particularly in an election year, and we've got a chance.  Otherwise,
> just resign to the reality and spend your energy somewhere else which
> is more profitable to you - life is too short to fight windmills.

  Life is very profitable to me now.  But thanks for the interest Don. >:)

> Thanks,
>
> [SNIP]
>
> ----
> Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
> donbrown_l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         http://www.inetconcepts.net
> PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
> Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
> ----

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801