Re: [ga] GNSO Council teleconference - proposed agenda - Thursday 16/17 October

  • To: <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'ga'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] GNSO Council teleconference - proposed agenda - Thursday 16/17 October
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:26:34 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Where is the New TLDs Evaluation Process?

This was meant to be a "Proof of Concept" initiative.

The Task Force set up to propose a mechanism for the Evaluation was
supported by the Board in its very detailed suggestions. But ...

Where is the agenda for this professional evaluation process?

Where are the detailed plans for how this evaluation process will be carried
out?

Where is the open and transparent recording of this Process on the ICANN
website?

Why isn't a clearcut process in operation, where all constituencies and
individuals can participate, step by step, on the evaluation of each issue?

The question of new registries and new TLDs is a matter of worldwide
interest. ICANN gives no evidence of what grounds they have for making
future decisions on these matters. ICANN displays no Evaluation Process for
the 'Proof of Concept'. ICANN seems intent on just making its own decisions,
with hardly even the semblance of a proper process of evaluation. Where are
the detailed Evaluation Reports that the .info and .biz Registries were
obliged to submit, not in private, but on an open basis (according to the
Agreements signed in advance)? They're nowhere to be seen, eighteen months
after they could have been published!

It seems to me that people are being asked to come to conclusions and offer
advise, without the detailed and professional process which the New TLDs
Evaluation Task Force advised should precede any such judgements.

And answers?

ICANN offers no answers.

I asked why the Registry Evaluation Reports hadn't been published, when they
were already overdue, back in the Summer of 2002. I asked again two months
later. Stuart Lynn said ICANN staff had had a busy phase and "hadn't had
time to FTP them onto the website". I asked again in the Autumn of 2002. I
asked again in the winter of 2002. I asked again in Spring 2003. I asked
again in Summer 2003. It is now Autumn 2003. The Reports are nowhere to be
seen...

And yet ICANN suggests people can engage in informed participation.

No Registry Reports. No Evaluation Process agenda. No Evaluation Process
interface. No Evaluation Process to be seen. Just... "This is what we think
we shall do, you can lob us a comment or two if you like..."

Please could Paul Twomey offer me the courtesy of a reply about these
matters (and the serious concerns about fraud in the last round of NewTLD
roll-outs)? I've waited 5 months for a reply to my questions addressed to
Paul. He hasn't even acknowledged my mail. Does he consider himself so
superior? Isn't there any *responsiveness* in this organisation. Of course,
my mail to Paul included a plea for a response to matters first raised with
Dan Halloran, from whom I still await the courtesy of an acknowledgement 18
months later!

These people are administering a world resource.

I do not see the professionalism of approach which should accompany such a
duty.

Yrs,

Richard Henderson
(www.atlarge.org and www.IcannAtLarge.org )