Re: [ga] Why ALAC lacks legitimacy

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Why ALAC lacks legitimacy
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 23:59:45 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, twomey@xxxxxxxxx, comments@xxxxxxxxx, "halloran@xxxxxxxxx" <halloran@xxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Esther Dyson <edyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

George and all former DNSO GA members or other stakeholders/users,

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> --- Andy Gardner <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 8, 2003, at 11:47  PM, Jeff Williams wrote:
> > > And I would
> > > add that Adventure.com is hardly a "Big Business", now is it???
> >
> > It's edventure.com , Cybersquatting on the domain, I believe, since
> > it's a registered TM.
> >
> > Bad faith?
>
> Hardly, as it's the name of her company EDventure (with "ED" = initials
> of Esther Dyson). Not the greatest name for a business, but I've seen
> worse (and some say mine sucks too!). :)
>
> She was at least on the right side of the Sitefinder issue, see:
>
> http://www.edventure.com/conversation/article.cfm?Counter=760040

  I and our members disagree with the majority of Esthers opinion
here.  If I were in Verisign seat, I would just say "I await your
service" and prepare to defend in court.

> VeriSign is now trying to play their political and PR games, ignoring
> the community, and ICANN insiders continue pussy-footing around instead
> of acting decisively. Thus, we have lots of unneeded drama.

  Well Esther's opinion which you pointed to above is not in agreement
with your comment here George.  Did you read it carefully?

> The decisive solution, which I recommended a long time ago, is to move
> for a consensus vote that NXDOMAIN be the standard and mandatory
> response code for non-existent domain names for gTLDs. Period. VeriSign
> and other abusers can't wiggle around a statement like that. See:

  Agreed IF this is the decision of the majority of the stakeholders/users.

> dated September 9th, which was BEFORE Sitefinder launched. While ICANN
> staffers sat on their butts for weeks, or doing other non-productive
> tasks (would love to see what ICANN felt they "accomplished" last month
> -- with the huge staff increases, not much is visible), they caused
> chaos and internet trust to be undermined through inaction. Leaders
> need to *lead* (shocking, I know!), and not just be firefighters. Part
> of leadership is taking pre-emptive action, instead of just waiting for
> emergency situations to develop.
>
> To Twomey and his cohorts: "Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy,
> or are you gonna bite?"

  No wag their tail and whine increasingly louder over a problem
their predecessors such as Esther, created at least the atmosphere
for in the first place.  So, if you mess your diapers, and your a
responsible and capable adult, don't expect others to change
them for you...

> In particular, it's time to insist that VeriSign pay back all the
> audited GROSS revenues produced by SiteFinder, as was demanded in the
> petition at http://www.whois.sc/verisign-dns/ .
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George Kirikos
> http://www.kirikos.com/
>
> P.S. On the funny side, VeriSign's ad for Games.tv, mentioned in my
> September 9th post, is now gone. It looks like VeriSign has removed the
> Wildcard from .tv. :) (although, it's still in .cc)

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801