Re: [ga] More on Sitefinder suspension

On 30 Sep 2003 at 22:18, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:12:00AM -0700,
>  Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>  a message of 53 lines which said:
>
> >  - People who have root systems that include TLDs that cause
> >  excessive degrees of inconsistency will lose their client base and
> >  either correct the situation, fade away, of simply become
> >  irrelevant due to lack of clients.
>
> Natural evolution works only if there is a pressure. When the dodo was
> alone on its island, there was no pressure, so no need to "fix" its
> inadapted design. Since the world of alternative roots is a small and
> isolated world, not used for real activities, no such pressure exists.

As popularity of the roots/TLDs increases, so will the pressure.  The TLDs will
respond to that pressure or fail.  The evolutionary process does work.

> > By-the-way, the way I understand DNSSEC, it pretty much quashes
> > competing roots,

> > Well the new.net folks may consider themselves to have been actively
> > repressed by ICANN.
>
> They can claim to be repressed by Open-RSC, after all, since Open-RSC
> does not announce all their dummy domains and delegates some to
> non-new.net registries (".home", ".mp3").

Uh, the TLDs pre-existed in the ORSC and PacificRoot zones.  New.net was not
repressed in any manner by ORSC or PacificRoot.  They simply chose a path that
was contrary to the accepted guidelines of the greater community, just as ICANN
has done. The TLDs that were not duplicates of pre-exsiting ones have been
included in both major roots, as well as (I believe) Newroot.  However, ICANN chose
to blatantly duplicate on a grand scale and plans to repeat the travesty according to
their own statements.  These actions do not endear the community once that
community becomes aware.  Note the reaction to the sitefinder "service" that has
caused so much disruption.

Calling functioning TLDs "dummy" registries is as bad as calling any small business
a dummy business.  Keep in mind that it is only the market share that determines
the strength of a root, TLDs and their use.  How much influence do you think ICANN
will have when the other roots gain a more significant market share and respond to
the needs of the public?  Trying to create distain by name calling will not work in the
end, Stephane.  It just serves to cast a tarnished light on the  name caller.

Both ICANN and Verisign have chosen to totally ignore the wishes and needs of the
users of the internet.  One day that choice will come back to bite.  Those who serve
those needs will one day gain their confidence and support.  It's just a matter of
exposure.  ICANN and Versign are being further exposed as tyrants, panderers to
special interests and self interested cash mongerers with no interest in serving the
greater community at all.