Re: [ga] More on Sitefinder suspension

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:12:00AM -0700,
 Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 53 lines which said:

>  - People who have root systems that include TLDs that cause
>  excessive degrees of inconsistency will lose their client base and
>  either correct the situation, fade away, of simply become
>  irrelevant due to lack of clients.

Natural evolution works only if there is a pressure. When the dodo was
alone on its island, there was no pressure, so no need to "fix" its
inadapted design. Since the world of alternative roots is a small and
isolated world, not used for real activities, no such pressure exists.

> By-the-way, the way I understand DNSSEC, it pretty much quashes
> competing roots,

I'm not a great expert in DNSSEC but I do not think so. If the root
were signed, and you want to use Open-RSC instead of ICANN, just add
Open-RSC certificate to your name server and here you go (you do not
even need to remove ICANN's certificate). The only thing to do for
Open-RSC would be to sign the TLD that are secure (not all of them
need to be signed).

DNSSEC is far from being finalized so you may still bring the issue
before the IETF Working Group DNSext.

> Well the new.net folks may consider themselves to have been actively
> repressed by ICANN.

They can claim to be repressed by Open-RSC, after all, since Open-RSC
does not announce all their dummy domains and delegates some to
non-new.net registries (".home", ".mp3").