Re: [ga] Wildcards

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <ploki_xyz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Wildcards
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:06:32 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Roberto and all Former DNSO GA members or other interested parties,

 The point, which you and a few others of the ALAC and the ICANN
BoD seem to be missing is that addressing the use of Wildcards is
way behind the curve as this was discussed on "Namedropers" forum
this past June and the fact that VRSN has no obligation to comply
with ICANN belated request as VRSN owns .COM as a part
of ICANN's own short sited contractual agreement to redeligate
.ORG and eventually, .NET.  BTW Roberto as I recall, you were
at that time, very supportive of that agreement...  Interesting now,
you seem to be a "Liaison" for the ICANN BoD... ????  Very
interesting indeed...

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> For your information,
>
> The ICANN BoD mailing list is very busy discussing issues related to the
> VRSG Sitefinder "service".
> The initial action has been, as already posted by Thomas, a request to
> voluntarily suspend the service.
> Following the statement of the IAB, and individual comments from the IETF
> community, I am expecting (but take it only as a personal opinion) a
> stronger position in the future.
>
> An interesting scenario  has been also evaluated. Suppose that some company
> is unhappy about VRSG returning something different than NXDOMAIN for a name
> confusingly similar to an existing trademark, and gets a judge to oblige
> VRSG to reply accordingly, the practice of dealing with different names in
> different ways would be openly in violation of the protocol.
>
> Roberto GAETANO
> ALAC
> ICANN BoD Liaison

> Get MSN 8 Dial-up Internet Service FREE for one month.  Limited time offer--
> sign up now!   http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801