Re: [ga] ALAC statement on resolution of non-existing domain names

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Vittorio Bertola'" <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ALAC statement on resolution of non-existing domain names
  • From: "John Berryhill Ph.D. J.D." <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:25:48 -0400
  • Cc: <ga@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>

> How can you come to a conclusion on a topic which you admit you do not have
> the knowledge to understand?

Classic.  In response to questions about Neulevel having run its "experiment"
earlier this year, this was posted to the INTA mailing list in May:

"The point John is that we have conducting a nonmonetary test in which
neither we (nor Looksmart) collected any money in order to try to increase
the utility of the .biz and .us spaces. Rather than focus on the "parade of
horribles" that you can conjure up, why don't you wait for us to analyze the
results."

Well, let's see now.  It's been a four-month wait so far.  I guess any
criticism of wildcarding TLD zones is going to have to just be put on hold
until the wait is over.  You see, anyone who does not wait until the analysis
is complete is just misinformed or too stupid to have an opinion.  We should
not rush to a premature judgment, but the responsible thing to do is to
continue to wait, as suggested by Mr. Neuman.

Of course, one answer to the question of "why don't you wait" for the
analysis is that Neulevel has no intention of publishing any information
about the test.  So, the question boils down to "Why don't you just shut up?"

Unless, of course, Mr. Neuman meant to suggest that there would be something
to wait for.  That would be the plain import of the words he used.  I prefer
to believe he was being sincere, and I continue to wait for whatever it is
Mr. Neuman has asked me for which to wait.

So, Mr. Neuman, do you have an estimate on how much longer we should wait?