[ga] Has there been any progress on a .REL gTLD?

  • To: "ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Has there been any progress on a .REL gTLD?
  • From: Jeffrey Williams <jwkckid2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 09:08:40 -0700

All,

  Has anyone heard of any promotion or progress on a theological based gTLD
such as .REL?
Seems to me that such if the contract language was correct/ethical in same
could be a popular and
very useful gTLD on many levels.  Perhaps ICANN fears to tread here?  If
so, I would have to
wonder and ask why?

  It's been pointed out to me in the past and again recently that many
churches of all denominations
are registered in the .COM name space.  As .COM 'was' originally intended
to be for commercial
enterprises in which churches in most countries are prohibited to be
operating as, that such
domain names in the .COM name space would or are significantly improper at
a minimum.  All
churches and religious organizations in the US are by law required to be
501(c3) organizations, as
such it would seem proper that their domain names for their web sites be
registered as .ORG domains
currently I wonder if the IRS has yet to take note of such accordingly?  My
guess is no. None the
less perhaps Churches and religious organizations of all stripes for a
number of reasons desire or
prefer their own name space such as .REL as .ORG and .COM are so flooded
with religiously
undesirables of various sorts and stripes.   However there are doubtless
churches and religious
based organizations that would prefer to remain in the .COM name space for
obvious reasons not
the least of which is a more common recognition and broader audience by
which to attract new
parishioners/followers and of course more $$ donations.  If the latter
however I am reminded of
Jesus's abhorrence and chastising of such in the Temple in respect to the
money changers.

God bless all here,

CISO
Phone: 214-245-2647