Re: [ga] RE: GA irrelevant

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] RE: GA irrelevant
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 14:34:52 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Karl and all,

  I think we already have, and have had for so many years now
what you suggest right here in the GA.  I see little need
for yet another similar different entity.  What is needed
is for the GA to be re-recognized and expanded upon a bit
as to it's structure.

  The present 'Constituency' model of ICANN is and always has
been designed to fragment particular interest groups and IMO
has in the doing so, not served ICANN and especially the GNSO
well.  But yet such a model/structure does give the largest
interest groups far greater opportunity to dominate what policies
will be adopted or considered.  And history has proven that
to be the case, sometimes for the better and sometimes not,
as all whom have been paying attention have all too readily
seen and too many have negatively and unjustly/unfairly
experienced. So what we end up with is not what is the better
policy or practice, but whom is proposing same.  As a result
we are now more and more seeing Governments stepping up to
take charge to a great degree, which the self governance
of ICANN was to a great degree intended and supposed to
avoid.  Didn't or isn't happening for many already and
frequently repeatedly stated reasons...