[ga] GoDaddy & Nacked Transfers

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] GoDaddy & Nacked Transfers
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 09:24:48 -0800 (PST)

Most of us remember the serious community-wide effort that went into fashioning
the Transfers Consensus Policy.  It's a good policy designed to promote facile
domain name portability, and overall the policy has been effective...

Looking at the July 2009 .com/.net report we see that the medium number of
transfers nacked was "zero" while the average was 1.7 per registrar.

We also see that the Godaddy "family" managed to nack 10,437 transfers that
month.

While you may draw your own conclusions, I see that something is clearly wrong
with this picture.

Compliance Staff has argued that Godaddy is not in violation of the letter of
the Policy.  I contend that if the spirit of the policy is being violated, then
we indeed have an outstanding issue that still needs to be addressed.

In the context of the work being done in the RAA amendments WG, the issue comes
down to this:  we cannot craft legal language that will effectively guard
against every possible loophole that registrars will choose to exploit (and it
takes way too long to craft amendments to a consensus policy to address these
loopholes).

So how then are we to proceed?  How do we protect ourselves from abusive
registrar self-interest?  Suggestions would be welcome.