[ga] ICANN's Board ignores USDOJ advice in last week's meeting

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] ICANN's Board ignores USDOJ advice in last week's meeting
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 06:19:42 -0800 (PST)

Hi folks,

The preliminary report from last week's Board meeting have been posted:

http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-03feb09.htm

The strategic plan (which listed new gTLDs #1 in the list of priorities, and
with a target date for first applicants of mid-2009) was approved in that board
meeting 14-1. I find this disturbing in light of the NTIA/DOJ comments and the
vast opposition by the public community to new gTLDs. It would be nice to know
which brave board member stood alone against the other 14 and cast a vote of
"No" --- kudos to him or her. Perhaps that single Board member also didn't like
that "Ensure financial accountability, stability and responsibility" was at the
BOTTOM of the strategic priority list, especially after the discussion last
week of the $4.6 million loss speculating in financial markets by ICANN:

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20090203_icann_blows_46_million_stock_market/

Also, the .AERO agreement was renewed, despite our own objections, namely to
the 10-year term and to the presumptive renewal:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/aero-renewal-2008/msg00000.html

I believe these two actions ignored the advice of the US Department of Justice
who stated in page 9 of their letter that:

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/comments/2008/ICANN_081218.pdf

"If ICANN is not prepared to act now to address the competition-related issues
identified in this letter, it should at a minimum ****POSTPONE THE INTRODUCTION
OF NEW GTLDs AND THE ADOPTION OF ADDITIONAL PERPETUALLY RENEWING GTLD
AGREEMENTS**** until it receives and reviews the study that the ICANN Board
requested over two years ago." (emphasis added)

The new .AERO agreement is of course perpetually renewing, and the timeframe
for new gTLDs in the strategic plan has not changed.

It appears to me that ICANN's Board has gone rogue to challenge the advice of
the NTIA and USDOJ in such a direct fashion. As to who will be ultimately
victorious? I'd put my money on the NTIA and USDOJ on winning in the end.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
416-588-0269
http://www.leap.com/