Re: [ga] Governments and Country-Code Managers' Interest in the Fast TrackProcess

  • To: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>, Ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Governments and Country-Code Managers' Interest in the Fast TrackProcess
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 08:03:20 -0800

Glen and all,

  Given the responses, and lack there of as well, I view this process
to have been an relitive failure, or it's design was not very conducive
to broad participation and/or interest, meaning that the criterion of
the process were and are, not very inclusive.

Glen de Saint Géry wrote:

> [To: council[at]gnso.icann.org; liaison6c[at]gnso.icann.org]
>
> [To: ga[at]gnso.icann.org; announce[at]gnso.icann.org]
>
> [To: regional-liaisons[at]icann.org]
>
> Governments and Country-Code Managers' Interest in the Fast Track
> Process

> Last year, ICANN sent letters to countries and territories informing
> them about the Fast Track process ââ?¬â?? where a limited number of
> internationalized domain names will be added to the Internet ââ?¬â??
> and asked them to indicate their level of interest. This is an update
> on that process.
>
> A total of 252 letters were sent to national governments, and copied
> to country code top-level domain managers. So far we have received 74
>
> Out of these (not counting confidential requests), 31 said they were
> interested in participating in the Fast Track process, representing a
> total of 15 different languages. The remaining expressed they were not
> interested in participating at this time or indicated that they would
> not be eligible to obtain an IDN ccTLD under the process. (It should
> be noted that it is not a requirement to reply to the letter in order
> for a country or territory to take participation in the Fast Track
> process.)
>
> Below this announcement is an updated overview of all non-confidential
>
> The actual strings that the respondents are interested in obtaining
> have not been duplicated below but they can be seen by clicking the
> link to the PDFs for the actual replies.
>
> Receiving the information about the anticipated number of requests in
> the Fast Track Process along with the language specifics is very
> helpful in planning for implementation of the Fast Track Process.
> ICANN would like to thank those respondents for providing this
> information.
>
> If you have any questions concerning the information contained in this
> announcement please email ICANN at: idn-cctld-rfi@xxxxxxxxx
>
> Related links
>
> Sample letter sent to all governments and ccTLD registries
> http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-02oct08-en.htm
>
> Earlier announcement on responses received
> http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-01nov08-en.htm
>
> For more details about the IDN ccTLD Fast Track Process:
> http://www.icann.org/en/topics/idn/fast-track/

> Country         Interest in   If the IDN ccTLD string is  Anticipated
                 obtaining and          unknown,              time-
                  IDN ccTLD    is the script and languages   frame for
                   during the            known?               launch
                   Fast Track
                    Process
                   Yes     No    Language       Script
  ANGUILLA                 x   English      ASCII Codes
  ARMENIA                  x
  BARBADOS                 x
  BHUTAN            x                                     1-year
  BOLIVIA                  x   Spanish                    1/2-year
  BRASIL                   x
  BULGARIA          x          Bulgarian    Cyrillic      mid-2009
  CAYMAN ISLANDS           x
  DENMARK                  x
  EGYPT             x          Arabic       Arabic        6-months
  FINLAND                  x
  GREECE             x         Greek        Greek
  JAPAN             x                                     about 1-year
  JORDAN            x                                     1/2-year; by
                                                          Q1 2009
  KOREA (REP.       x          Korean       Hangeul       6-months -
  OF)                                                     1-year
  LAO P.D.R.        x          Laotian                    mid-2010
  LIECHTENSTEIN            x
  LITHUANIA                x
  NETHERLANDS              x
  NORWAY                   x
  MEXICO                   x   Spanish      Latin
  MONGOLIA          x          Mongolian                  3-months
  MOROCCO           x          Arabic       Arabic        18-months
  NEW ZEALAND              x
  NIUE                     x
  PAKISTAN          x
  PITCAIRN                 x
  RUSSIAN           x          Russian      Cyrillic      ready
  FEDERATION
  SAUDI ARABIA      x
  SINGAPORE         x          Chinese,
                               Malay,
                               Tamil
  SLOVAK                   x
  REPUBLIC
  SWEDEN            x          Yiddish                    ready
  TONGA                    x   Tongan       Roman
  TUNISIA           x          Arabic                     1/2-year
  TURKEY            x          Turkish      Latin         6-months
                                            w/extensions
  UNITED ARAB       x                                     2nd half of
  EMIRATES                                                '09
  UNITED STATES            x

> Country        Interest in   If the IDN ccTLD string is Anticipated
                obtaining and          unknown,           timeframe for
                 IDN ccTLD    is the script and languages    launch
                  during the            known?
                  Fast Track
                   Process
                  Yes    No       Language       Script
  ALGERIA          x
  ANDORRA                 x   Catalan
  ARMENIA                 x
  AUSTRIA                 x   German           ASCII      2-years
  BRASIL                  x
  BULGARIA         x          Bulgarian        Cyrillic   immediately
  CHILE                   x
  CHINA            x
  COSTA RICA              x
  CROATIA                 x
  CZECH                   x
  REPUBLIC
  GUADELOUPE              x
  IRAN, ISLAMIC    x          Persian(Farsi)              ready
  REPUBLIC OF
  ISRAEL           x          Hebrew                      up to
                                                          6-months
  KENYA                   x   English          Latin
  LIBYAN ARAB      x                                      1-year
  JAMAHIRIYA
  LITHUANIA               x
  LUXEMBOURG              x
  MONGOLIA         x          Mongolian                   3-months
  NETHERLANDS             x
  NEW ZEALAND             x
  PANAMA                  x
  ROMANIA                 x   Romanian         Latin      N/A
  RUSSIAN          x          Russian                     end 2008
  FEDERATION
  SRI LANKA        x          Sinhala, Tamil   Sinhala,   Dec '08
                                               Tamil
  SWEDEN           x          Yiddish                     ready
  SYRIAN ARAB      x          Arabic           Arabic     6-months
  REPUBLIC
  THAILAND         x          Thai                        6-12 months
  TUNISIA          x          Arabic                      1/2-year

> Glen de Saint G�©ry
>
> GNSO Secretariat
>
> gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> http://gnso.icann.org

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827