RE: [ga] All of Vietnam's Government Computers To Use Linux, By Fiat

  • To: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] All of Vietnam's Government Computers To Use Linux, By Fiat
  • From: "Karl E. Peters" <tlda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 05:40:31 -0700

font-size:10pt;">Jeffrey and others,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I would respectfully
disagree on the impact of the decision to mandate government computers use
Linux. MS is moving toward a situation where you can not own your software but
must perpetually lease, thus making one forever dependent on good relations
with MS (and LOTs of money!) to keep ones computers operating smoothly. The
backdoors they leave so they can police their licenses are a playground for
malicious hackers that one rarely, if ever, experiences with Linux. Linux and
the associated applications have come a long way in interoperability with the
MS world and the GUI of Ubuntu (My favroite flavor of Linux) is very easy and
familiar to navigate for Windows graduates. Finally, the hardware required to
run a full-blown Linux world is far less demanding than to run the very bloated
and resource-hogging new MS systems, especially the new "Vista" that even MS is
trying to distance themselves from in some respects.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In
an age where the US is finally learning that pouring lots of needless money out
for resources we have at home more cheaply, we should not criticize Vietnam for
stopping the software expense bleeding of money outside when there is a
well-maintained and free OS beckoning them that makes it nearly painless to
switch over.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Personally, I had become addicted to the GUI
of Windows for lack of real programming skills and being a rather lousy typist,
but when working on some projects for Africa and seeking out cheaper
alternatives for use there, I was shown Ubuntu and NOW, even my kids, who love
games, want to switch their fancy media laptop from Vista to Ubuntu. I still
use both systems and am making the switch slowly in the last few months, but
there is no evident reason why a capable user of Ubuntu could not compete in a
MS world and eventually win it over! I wish the US government would try to save
a little money that way!!!<br>-Karl E. Peters, President<br>Top-Level Domain
padding-left: 8px; font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: verdana;">
-------- Original Message --------<br>