Re: [ga] VeriSign takes over .name registry??

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, GAC Rep <ssene@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ICAN Contract Compliance <compliance@xxxxxxxxx>, ICANN new gTLD round <new-gtlds-dns-stability@xxxxxxxxx>, Peter Dambier <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] VeriSign takes over .name registry??
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 02:26:34 -0700

George and all,

  Agreed that ICANN is foolish, but not for introducing new gTLD's
into the Root.  VErisign buying out .NAME is not a surprise,
nor should it be.  And suggesting that $10 for the introduction of
an new gTLD is of course ludicrous, and has nothing to do with
how serious any potential registry operator may or may not be.
Hell, Osama Bin Laudin, or his business manager could come up
with $10m out of petty cash...  Would he or some shall company
he controls be a serious registry operator as a result of ponying
up $10m?  Hardly!  >:(

  ICANN should not be in the business of making business decisions
for determining whom is or is not a potential good registry operator.
We have all witnessed how poorly they have done that task in the
past.  What ICANN should be doing is, with the input and approval
of registrants, and users-non-registrants predominantly, how registries
must be operated, and coordinating what they are supposed to be
doing in accordance with the word and sprit of the MOU.  So far,
ICANN has failed on several levels in doing such.

  I am not very pleased with Verisign taking over .NAME if
true, but given that no one else really wanted it, and it has been
poorly managed due to poor oversight by ICANN in part, Verisign
taking over if true, is better than letting those registrants loose their
DN's.

  From our members perspective, .BIZ and .INFO badly need
to be re-delegated for obvious and frequently reported reasons.

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> According to:
>
> http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/10/03/domain-name-consolidation-verisign-acquires-name-guys/
>
> VeriSign has taken over the .name registry operator. This should
> demonstrate that new gTLDs are doomed, and ICANN is being foolish to
> permit speculative new ones to be inserted into the root without a
> substantial upfront financial commitment (say $10 million) to limit the
> number to truly serious registry operators.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George Kirikos
> http://www.kirikos.com/

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827