[ga] Washington Post to expose ICANN registrar ESTDomains

  • To: NA Discuss <na-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Washington Post to expose ICANN registrar ESTDomains
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 06:02:12 -0700 (PDT)

A Washington Post article by Brian Krebs entitled "Report Slams U.S. Host as
Major Source of Badware" promises a follow-up article on ICANN accredited
registrar ESTdomains:

"In a follow-up post, Security Fix will examine the activities of Atrivo's
largest customer: domain name registrar ESTDomains".

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2008/08/report_slams_us_host_as_major.html

Estdomains recently came to our attention when LegitScript and KnujOn sent a
letter to EstDomains requesting they terminate an unlicensed steroid site being
sponsored at EstDomains. We were told that EstDomains never responded and the
site is sill active.

Other online sources point to known Storm Botnet related FastFlux Domains
registered by way of ESTDomains -- see
http://www.disog.org/text/storm-fastflux.txt

Also, Estdomains recently experienced over three weeks of downtime for their
domain privacy protection service, the service failure exposing all domain
registration information to the public during that episode -- see
http://www.johnraul.com/estdomains-domain-privacy-down-for-three-weeks-now/

It will be interesting to see which (if any) provisions of the proposed
Registrar Accreditation Agreement will deal with the revelations that emerge in
the Washington Post's next article.