Re: [ga] 67 Registrars Still in Undisclosed Locations

  • To: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ICANN Admin supp Manager Karen Lettner <karen.lettner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] 67 Registrars Still in Undisclosed Locations
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 22:29:28 -0700

Joe and all,

  In this case, yes it is about public trust and confidance mostly.
But it is also about accountability and transparency as well as
competance.  Did ICANN do it's due diligance before accrediting
these "Secret" registrars, and when did they do it?  Where is the
data regarding the particulars of this due diligance documented?
What was the nature ( specifics ) of that due diligance?  When,
if ever, will ICANN make publically avaliable the locations of these
Registrars and the contact information for each?  And finnaly, why
wasn't or isn't this information publically avaliable now?

  There may be very reasonable reasons why these 67 Registrars locations

are not publically known.  If so, ICANN should make that information
also avaliable for public review and perhaps questions in those regards.

  We all have to remember the decisions on some if not most of these
undocumented Registrars were made by a ICANN GNSO and Bod
that in part does not now exist and that may not have been given
accreditation today.  I don't offer this as an excuse or reason, only
as food for thought.

  I and many of our members have often thought that ICANN has
acted as if it is not bound by US law and policy and that it is a US
Non-Profit California 501(c3) corporation.  When it even appears
that it is or has done so, it should be open to be made aware by
any member of the public that it has or is possibly acting or
considering
to act in such a manner, and address that preception or relitive fact
immediately and with the open participation of the public.  Failure to
do so, as ICANN has too often done, engenders distrust and creates
more problems for ICANN's Bod and staff than it is worth.

Joe Baptista wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Danny Younger
> <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>      This is about building public trust and confidence.
>

> ICANN buried the public trust and confidence a long time ago.  Of
> course its never too late to start.
>
> regards
> joe baptista
>

> --
> Joe Baptista
> www.publicroot.org
> PublicRoot Consortium
> The future of the Internet is Open, Transparent, Inclusive,
> Representative & Accountable to the Internet community @large.
> Office: +1 (360) 526-6077 (extension 052)
> Fax: +1 (509) 479-0084

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827