[ga] RE: ICANN Board Recommends Action on Domain Tasting

  • To: <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] RE: ICANN Board Recommends Action on Domain Tasting
  • From: "Dominik Filipp" <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:14:52 +0100

Dear Dr. Twomey,

I have just read the recommended action considered by the ICANN Board on Domain
Tasting, which is applying the standard ICANN $0.20 fee on re-registration (or
disproportionate deletes).

I have no idea how the Board has come to this decision, especially, when the
Domain Tasting issue is still under debate and the policy development process
has not finished yet. I recall that the issue was first opened by introducing
the Request for Information on Domain Tasting 10 August 2007 initiated by the
ALAC and adopted by the GNSO "to form an ad hoc group for further fact-finding
on the effects of this practice". After gathering the initial information the
GNSO opened another period for commenting the issue, named GNSO Initial Report
on Domain Tasting. The commenting period officially finished on 28 Jan. 2008. I
particularly accent the word "Initial" here as the document in its Conclusions
and Next Steps on page 24 reads:

"The practice of domain tasting is of significant concern to many
constituencies and community stakeholders. These concerns have been explored
for the past several months, as reflected in the Issues Report prepared by
ICANN staff, and by the extensive research and data gathering conducted by the
Ad Hoc Group of the GNSO Council and reflected in the Outcomes Report. Based on
these reports, the GNSO Council has voted to initiate a policy development
process to explore the specific policy changes that should be made to curb
domain tasting. This initial report is an early step in this process, and will
be posted for public comment for 20 days as prescribed by the ICANN bylaws (see
http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm#AnnexA). Public comments will then be
incorporated into a "Final Report" by ICANN staff and submitted to the GNSO
Council Chair within ten calendar days following the end of the public comment
period. The Final Report (along with the preceding Issues Report and Outcomes
Report) become the underlying foundation for subsequent actions taken by the
GNSO Council in formulating recommendations to the ICANN Board regarding policy
changes that should be made to address domain tasting."

As regards the AGP concept, I again recall that the ICANN community has
explicitly expressed a desire to eliminate the AGP as it is apparent in the
straw poll (the online survey) held by 15 Sep. 2007. The result of the survey
concerning the AGP is summarized on page 16 in Outcomes Report of The GNSO Ad
Hoc Group On Domain Name Tasting issued on 4 Oct. 2007, and reads:

"110 out of 173 (64%) support suggestion A (eliminating AGP), while 25 (14%)
prefer suggestion C (registry excess deletion fees charged to registrars for
disproportionate deletes), 17 (10%) support B (ICANN 0.20 USD charge to apply
to names deleted within AGP) and 20 (12%) vote for D (neither A, B or C)..."

In other words, the suggestion currently recommended by the Board to consider
has gained the least support among all other suggestions. As the survey was
accessible to anyone including representatives from Registries, Registrars,
Registrants as well as standard Internet users, I consider the result of the
survey legitimate.
Also the comment contributions in both related mailing lists held on the issue
so far indicates prevailing interest in the elimination of the AGP.

I therefore cannot find a merit supporting your optimistic words in the
sentence "This idea came from the ICANN community and we think it is a viable
solution the Internet community has been seeking". But what I have understood
of this hurry politely ignoring the legitimate voice is that something is
baking behind the scenes. Something like ICANN is tending to give in to a sweet
temptation to tacitly participate on the tasting business. To the detriment of
the most important part, which are Registrants, and which is the main body
making bread for ICANN and as such deserving the respective care and advocate.

I, among many others, do not see the re-registration fee an effective solution.
I elaborated on this in one of my mails sent to the mailing list and pointed
out some ways how successful tasters could 'recover' from the fee provision and
keep the business running. Sure, the business will go down but it stays alive
as a phenomenon using just more subtle methods to survive. Or profit, with all
the malicious side-effects we know about. I think the best solution is to
eliminate the problem, not to make it smaller. Moreover, as Karl Auerbach
pointed out in a mail posted on the mailing list, the AGP concept was never
properly addressed or discussed before approving the registry agreements. In my
opinion this means that the credibility of such a concept is rather weak and
keeping it alive at any price just reveals speculative incentives in mind.
I understand that eliminating the AGP could bring problems, such as typo
corrections, credit card frauds, etc., but the fact is that the cons extremely
overweigh the pros. After all, the ways how to overcome these problems can
still be subject to further discussion during the upcoming policy development
process.

I would therefore kindly ask you to encourage the GNSO council to fluently and
peacefully proceed with the policy development process. Any prediction of how
the solution should look like at the moment is premature and controversial. The
issue has still to be carefully broken down and properly discussed. Maybe now,
under the new leadership, we could find courage to take a deep breath and set
out the right direction.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Dominik Filipp, a General Assembly List member