Re: [SPAM] Re: [ga] Alternative Domain Name Distribution Models

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: [ga] Alternative Domain Name Distribution Models
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 12:07:03 -0700 (PDT)

Karl,

ICANN can ask the Department of Justice's Antitrust
Division's enforcement intentions with respect to the
proposed policy on the exclusive use of
ICANN-accredited registrars.

You'll note that requests that have been reviewed this
year by the DOJ so far include one from the IEEE --
see
http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/public/busreview/letters.htm

Will ICANN adopt this prudent course of action?  Who
knows?

--- Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tim Ruiz wrote:
> >

>   However, as I
> > have pointed out before in similar discussions,
> there is not one gTLD I
> > know of that does not have multiple accredited
> registrars offering it.
>
> If .ewe were ever to get into the
> NTIA/ICANN/Verisign root zone, it
> would not be using accredited registrars, or
> registrars at all.
>
> Not using registrars is not a violation of any law;
> it is perfectly
> lawful behaviour.
>
> What legal right does ICANN have to impose such
> requirements as a
> condition of entry into the world's only viable
> marketplace of domain
> names?  Isn't that restraint of trade?
>
> I'm glad that you mentioned the cost and effort
> required to build a
> brand.  But building brand recognition for a TLD
> does not necessarily
> mean using registrars for that TLD; that's a
> business choice.
>
>               --karl--

Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the
tools to get online.