[council] GAC Liaison - Update

  • To: GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] GAC Liaison - Update
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 01:37:41 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Dear Council Colleagues -

Recently we closed the nomination period for candidates interested in being
considered for the role of GNSO Liaison to the GAC.  Unfortunately, the
response from the GNSO community was underwhelming.  The Vice Chairs and I
believe that this may be at least partly attributable to the timing of the
announcement, as more candidates could be interested in the role if it
coincided with the terms of other elected and appointed positions, which is the
conclusion of the AGM in Hyderabad.

Therefore, with this in mind, I'd like to propose that we postpone the
selection of a new GNSO - GAC Liaison until later in the fall, with the (rough)
timeline listed below.  It is expected that the additional time will generate
renewed attention to the role, additional expressions of interest from
prospective candidates, and permanently align the term of this position with
that of other terms, including most Councilors.

Please let me know if you have any concerns or objections to this approach.  On
a related note, Mason Cole has graciously agreed to stay on a few extra months
to ensure continuity.  Thank you, Mason.

Thanks-

J.

Nominations Accepted for Candidates:  1 OCT 2016
Council Chairs consider candidates and notify first choice  20 OCT
Chairs submit motion to Council by 29 OCT for consideration during Council
meeting on 8 NOV
GAC Leadership notified of new Liaison by 9 NOV