Re: [council] Spec. 13 notification email from ICANN

  • To: Ching Chiao <ching.chiao@xxxxxxxxx>, "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Spec. 13 notification email from ICANN
  • From: Volker Greimann <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 11:01:13 +0200
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=key-systems.net; h=content-type:content-type:in-reply-to:references:subject :subject:to:mime-version:user-agent:from:from:date:date :message-id; s=dkim; t=1397552476; x=1398416476; bh=mHolkLms7ZkK SvS8wbFcQStvQjaUyelHnkD/8b4Dka8=; b=eJ+YU78FkN4dYtidlVPUL9fTbi/I IwPdCKPjzL95o3UrmOMfZT5YBi6Us+CCLQnb42HjDhTmhlkwQPpnyQkr0KE4PWOL tz+lySygFjiDY7vLVMkhYM/oNm+veBNmSZ4JTfrkpH+JwLDoYZr4sgsQ9jaKttud NODxXKkFKT7HkrI=
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Ching,

I just reviewed the application process description, and it includes this passage:

/The New gTLD Program Committee (“NGPC”) has also approved the possible incorporation of an additional clause into Specification 13, with implementation to take effect no earlier than May 12, 2014, to provide the GNSO Council an opportunity to advise ICANN regarding Policy Recommendation 19 on the Introduction of New Generic Top Level Domains. If the additional clause is incorporated into Specification 13, and if ICANN determines that the TLD qualifies as a .Brand TLD, the Registry Agreement for the TLD will include the form of Specification 13 attached as //*Attachment 2 *//to this .Brand TLD Application Process. If, as a result of GNSO Council advice or otherwise, Specification 13 is further modified, an applicant for a TLD that has been determined by ICANN to qualify as a .Brand TLD will be offered the opportunity to execute an amendment incorporating such modified Specification 13 as part of the Registry Agreement. /

//
Notably, the Spec 13 attached in Attachment 1 does not include the passage that we have been asked to comment on, only the version in Attachment 2 does. It therefore can be argued that ICANN staff has implemented the board decision authorizing /the President and CEO, or his designee, to take all necessary steps to implement Specification 13 to the New //gTLD//Registry Agreement consistent with this resolution/ correctly, by implementing the spec without incorporating the additional clause. The clause would only come into effect if it is incorporated at a later time, or never, depending on our response and the ultimate NGPC decision.

This process does not substantially affect our task, however it puts us on the clock.

Best regards,

Volker