Re: [council] Reporting on GAC request of ICANN on monitoring PICs

  • To: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [council] Reporting on GAC request of ICANN on monitoring PICs
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 22:40:52 -0400
  • Cc: Jonathan Robinson <jrobinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=x-received:sender:message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to :cc:subject:references:in-reply-to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=if36aOJygscnlFjGh10g2/xk0xV2fJ4MExOrsqEBTBI=; b=k3xnF0o7wFZZstaxqgG+HU6TYUyfcR9xgsvgVZCzndYhDuafGdoJ6E6HviaKdNhpY5 mOXagEZ6GkYZ4lsFJFbb3BQUyUGFwQtgx1BPbn9TXyQSXc4GSkVG5wjRSLLeUqvbGID4 tPXTFXhiqnXpHpbscaQs/ufp1xbCREz+SJ3d9X8KlSvIXTBw9zXjv3e0HCR+kWMWTSku hlIPAFKkVXUEmEiXi2AhthGJgrXDeahd/RYwR3JWXL85UPnXbkdo+Lzb6H/IxqSuDR9Q v0FxHBypHGl5llMFNwjUgldTd9eIr2UvjCdpKbl1V+s3S+RtBzLePcifR0FjqmTaVYYH g1Yw==
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Has anyone done cost analysis of the externalities of PICs, particularly
implemented this way?

Namely, if a private applicant can impose costs on ICANN by creating
unique obligations that ICANN can then be forced to police, are we as a
whole willing to subsidize that? Should we instead have an opportunity
to ask if these so-called "public interest commitments" are really in
the entire public interest, or rather ask the registry to pay for them
itself? Otherwise, like it or not, we're building a larger and larger
regulatory organization that we'll all have to pay for.

--Wendy