[council] Postcards from the EC

  • To: GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Postcards from the EC
  • From: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 11:51:02 +0200
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi

In the event anyone was puzzled by EC Commissioner de Graaf's pronouncement in
Singapore that we were all engaged in "a discussion between the deaf and the
stupid" and has not already seen this, thanks to Kieren we now know what
hearing and smart looks like.

http://news.dot-nxt.com/2011/08/31/ec-greater-government-control

http://blog.internetgovernance.org/blog/_archives/2011/9/4/4893009.html

http://www.circleid.com/posts/print/20110905_icanns_unelected_crisis/

The Commission's six “informal background papers” envision a future in which
the bylaws change to make GAC advice pretty much mandatory, there are various
changes to the IANA contract including NTIA's proposal on 'consensus & public
interest', and governments can easily kill new gTLDs, create a reference list
of censored terms, and on and on...all to begin being discussed in Dakar.

BTW has there been any further consideration of the ideas floated in SF
concerning Council/GAC interfacing etc?

Cheers,

Bill

William J. Drake