RE: [council] Proposed amendment to OSC & PPSC motion

Thanks Mary.  I also thought of combining the motions but for now let’s see
where the discussion goes.

Chuck

From: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Mary Wong
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 12:56 PM
To: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [council] Proposed amendment to OSC & PPSC motion

Thanks for the comments, Chuck and Tim. Hopefully the following clarification
will help matters:

(1) I actually borrowed (er, copied :) the first resolve clause from Chuck's
original motion, as I agree it's important to wrap up the improvements process
and we'll need clear and specific indicators of what remains due and when in
order to do so. If it would have been more appropriate to propose my amendment
as an amendment to Chuck's rather than Wendy's motion, I can perhaps do that
(if it's within the rules to do so).

(2) The intent was NOT to add an extra layer; rather, it was to reduce
duplication and delay by having the Council take over from where the OSC and
PPSC are now. My reasons for this include (i) the need to wrap things up as
mentioned already; (ii) the risk of further delay if we keep referring things
back to the OSC/PPSC to then pass on to individual work teams, for funneling
back to us; (iii) the resulting inefficiencies once the Council discovers
certain procedures or recommendations to be unworkable, thus resulting in yet
another go-around; and (iv) the need for the Council to step in and exercise a
true managerial function, which includes substantive review.

(3) On that last point, there had been consensus around creating a Standing
Committee that would NOT be the equivalent of the OSC and/or PPSC. The Standing
Committee would (i) assist the Council in its review work; (ii) review at the
Council's request existing processes (as it would not be appropriate for those
who drafted the procedures to be reviewing themselves!); and (iii) if necessary
and/or requested by the Council, convene new drafting/work teams should
subsequent drafting or other work be necessary in the fullness of time.

As to the question of whether the Council will be less busy and/or pay more
critical attention now than perhaps some of us did before, I hope so. The
incidents we have already raised must mean we need to, and I believe my
amendments will clarify for the community that this is indeed what we are
prepared to do.

Thanks,
Mary

Mary W S Wong

Professor of Law

Chair, Graduate IP Programs

UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAW
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mary.wong@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.php
Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at:
http://ssrn.com/author=437584

"Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Mary Wong" <Mary.Wong@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

12/1/2010 10:04 AM

RE: [council] Proposed amendment to OSC & PPSC motion

I want to point out that the motion I made to extend the PPSC and OSC charters
was very similar to the first resolve of Mary’s proposed amendment with regard
to timing.  It also only extended the charters to the San Francisco meeting and
that was done consciously by me because I also believe that we need to wrap up
the GNSO improvements work quickly.  And I personally support directing “each
steering committee and applicable work team chair to identify for the Council
any remaining targets and benchmarks for their respective work by no later than
19 January 2011”.

Recognizing that the RySG has not discussed this yet, I have concerns about the
second resolve because I like Tim believe it will result in duplication of
effort and inefficiency.  We have three layers now; we would have four then.
Finally, asking the Council to be more directly involved seems to me something
that should already be the case.  The Council approved the procedures that we
are now so concerned about.  The excuse is that we were all too busy.  Is that
going to change in the next few months?

Chuck