Re: [council] ICANN bylaws section 8c Absentee voting

Hi,

During the staff's implementation work two procedures were recommended:

1. a version of the voting system we use(d) for electing board members and the GNSO chair, i.e. the anonymous but numbered ballots

2. an email exchange between the GNSO secretariat (Glen) and the absent council members.

My recommendation is that we use option 2. Since the council votes are not anonymous, there is no need for the overhead of option 1.

The process I recommend we follow, at least initially (we have the opportunity to use it at today's meeting):

Whenever the council take a vote that qualifies for absentee balloting:

1. After the meeting, Glen will send the motion that was voted on to the list and will invite any absent members to send her a request for a ballot. B

2. She will send then, as individuals, them as individuals, a ballot with an option for them to vote YES, NO or ABSTAIN. If they abstain on a policy recommendation they will need to indicate a reason as is required in the current by laws.

Unless it has been discussed in advance, this entire process needs to complete within 72 hours of the meeting. Reasons for extending, might include prior knowledge that one of the absent council members is out of contact for some known period. It will therefore be important before a meeting with such votes for people who are absent to let Glen know of their absence.

Hope this works for people, at least as an initial implementation. We have the opportunity to use the procedure today and we have a very full meeting that will not allow for time to discuss procedural issues without something else falling off the scheule - in fact I will be surprised if we make it to all of the topics today as it is.

thanks

a.