[council] 2007 GNSO Council Statements of Interest

  • To: "'Council GNSO'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] 2007 GNSO Council Statements of Interest
  • From: "GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 16:38:01 +0100
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear All,

Please find the 2007 Statements of Interest for the GNSO Councillors.

They are ordered according to constituencies:
1. Registrar Constituency
2. Commercial and Business Users Constituency
3. Internet Service Providers and Connectivity Providers Constituency
4. Non Commercial Users Constituency
5. Intellectual Property Interests Constituency
6. gTLD Registries constituency
7. Nominating Committee appointees to the GNSO Council

Please let me know if there are any updates you would like made.

Thank you very much.
Kind regards,

Glen
Registrar Constituency
Bruce Tonkin - Registrar Constituency - GNSO Council chair

I am employed full-time as Chief Technology Officer by Melbourne IT
Limited.

Melbourne IT has a registrar accreditation agreement with ICANN.
Melbourne IT also has a contractual relationship with most gtld
registries (for a current list see
http://www.icann.org/registrars/accredited-list.html),
and many cctld registries as a registrar.

Ross Rader - - Registrar Constituency

I am the Director of Research and Innovation for Tucows Inc., an ICANN
accredited registrar and Internet services vendor. Tucows is a minority
shareholder in Afilias LLC, with roughly an 8% shareholding. Neither
Tucows, nor I, is in possession of, nor have access to Registry
Sensitive or Registry Proprietary information as defined by any relevant
registry operating contracts as a result of this relationship. Tucows
provides consulting and application hosting services to other registrars
and Internet services providers. I am not an officer, director,
consultant, or employee of any of these customer organizations nor am I
specifically involved in providing services to them.

The URL for this statement is:
http://www.byte.org/blog/_WebPages/StatementofInterestsforRossRader.html

Thomas Keller - - Registrar Constituency

I'm a full time employee of Schlund+Partner AG.

Schlund+Partner AG is ICANN accredited and is conducting business with
almost all major gTLDS and ccTLDs. Schlund holds a minority share in
Afilias LLC for investment purposes.Besides domain name registrations
Schlund is mainly offering webhosting and email services to end users.
I'm a member of the DENIC Technical Advisory Council.
Commercial and Business Users Constituency
Philip Sheppard - Commercial and Business Users Constituency

I am Public Affairs Manager for AIM - European Brands Association, a
Brussels-based trade association involved in public affairs activities.
AIM represents the branded goods industries in Europe on key issues
which affect the ability of brand manufacturers to design, distribute
and market their brands. AIM's membership groups 1800 companies of all
sizes through corporate members and national associations in 21
countries. These companies are mostly active in every day consumer
goods. AIM's mission is to create for brands an environment of fair and
vigorous competition, fostering innovation and guaranteeing maximum
value to consumers.

I hold various non-remunerated directorships unrelated to ICANN.
I am a contact point for several domain names.
Honorary positions:
- President elect 2007 International Public Relations Association
(IPRA), the global professional association for the PR profession.
- I am a Freeman of the City of London.

Marilyn Cade - Commercial and Business Users Constituency

I am an elected officer of and councilor to the gNSO Council from the
Commercial and Business Users Constituency (BC).

After an extensive career in an executive position in AT&T, I have
founded and manage a consulting business that is primarily focused on
Internet Governance and convergence issues involving Internet
infrastructure and applications. The primary services provided are
advice, advocacy/representation, and management and coordination of
policy development, involving diverse groups and competing interests.

My business is focused at the nexus of global policy and technological
convergence. The topics I address include, but are not limited to:
Internet Governance, VoIP, IP-TV, Data Retention, Internet intermediary
liability, SPAM, ICANN, and cyber security in IP networks. Specific
activities of the business at this time are the external coordination of
an independent external dispute process involving eligibility for
registration of domain names, representation and advice to both a mid
sized and multinational corporation on most of the topics mentioned
above. I also advise a global association that is focused on VoIP and IP
networking policies.

Other activities include acting as chair of the Global Public Policy
Committee at ITAA; I frequently represent the association’s official
policy positions.  I also convene and coordinate various industry events
and meetings on a variety of topics, primarily focused on working with
industry to advocate policy positions to various governments and multi
lateral organizations, including the OECD, ITU, CITEL, and APEC. I speak
frequently as an expert at business and professional conferences that
are held both in the US and in other countries. In both of these
activities, I am sometimes remunerated for participation. Such
remuneration does not in any way make such entities clients, nor imply
client obligations.

The clients of my business are concerned about the security and
stability of the Internet, and are strong advocates of ICANN’s role in
managing and coordinating the technical aspects of the Internet.

I do not believe that I have conflicts of interest with ICANN.
 From time to time, I may have clients who have a direct policy interest
in a particular policy area that is, or could be active at ICANN.  At
present, two clients that I advise have an interest in reserved names in
gTLDs. I have disclosed that to the gNSO Council, and to the Business
Constituency and in public statements in the ICANN’s public forum and to
the ICANN senior staff.

As the clients of my business and their interests change, I will
continue to update my statement of interest
ISPCP Constituency
Anthony Harris - ISPCP Constituency

I am under contract as full time executive director of CABASE,
a non-profit Internet industry association, incorporated as such in
Argentina since 1999.

- consulting work done for ICANN - NONE
- consulting work done for a gtld or cctld registry, or current
    applicant to become a gtld or cctld registry - NONE
- consulting work done for a registrar - NONE
- employment with a registry or registrar - NONE

Greg Ruth - ISPCP Constituency

I am a Senior Consultant for Verizon Business, a global communications,
security and technology provider. My duties consist primarily of
providing consulting services. As a multi-national organization,
Verizon Business has many customer and vendor relationships, and some
of those relationships may include ICANN accredited registrars,
registries as well as members of other GNSO constituencies. In the
normal course of my duties, I have no knowledge of which ICANN related
organizations my company is contractually involved with. My position
and responsibilities in Verizon Business do not allow me any decision
making power, personal involvement, responsibility or other interest in
determining or carrying out the contractual relationships in which my
company enters. As a global network provider, my company's interest in
ICANN is for the security and stability of the Internet. I do not have
any relationships or duties outside my company that would involve any
issues of interest to or conflict with ICANN, and my duties in the
GNSO.

This statement of interest will be maintained at:

http://www.icannwiki.org/Greg_Ruth_-_statement_of_interest

Tony Holmes - ISPCP Constituency

I am employed within BT Group's Chief Technology Office with the
responsibility for determining numbering, naming and addressing policy
and strategy for BT Group PLC.

BT is a large ISP and infrastructure provider and operates in many
countries across the world. BT is also an accredited ICANN Registrar,
but is not currently operational.

I participate in, and hold official positions in a number of other
technology focused technical and policy making bodies at both the
national and international level, none of which cause conflict with my
work in ICANN. I have no employment, contract, financial interest or
other business relationship with ICANN, registries or registrars except
BT.

I am an elected representative of the ISP and Connectivity Providers
Constituency to the GNSO.
Non Commercial Users Constituency
Robin Gross - Non Commercial Users Constituency

I represent the Non-Commercial Users Constituency on the GNSO Policy
Council.  I am the Executive Director of IP Justice, an international
civil liberties organization based in San Francisco.  IP Justice is a
California not-for-profit corporation and 501(c)(3).  I am also licensed
to practice law throughout California, and serve on the Board of
Directors of the Union for the Public Domain, a not-for-profit
corporation based in Washington DC.  I teach international copyright law
at Santa Clara University School of Law.  From 1999-2002, I was an
intellectual property attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

Norbert Klein – Non-Commercial Users Constituency

I am at present a consultant to a Cambodian non-government organization,
the Open Forum of Cambodia, which was created in 1994 to facilitate and
to foster communication – not only electronic communication – in the
conflictive, post-civil war Cambodian society.

My relation to the Internet, and since 1999 to ICANN, originated from
the fact that I created in 1994 the first possibility for people in
Cambodia to have access to e-mail, and in 1996 I created the possibility
to have an e-mail address in Cambodia: .kh

Neither I nor the Open Forum of Cambodia have registered a top level
domain – we use a secondary domain for our organization, under the ccTLD
of Cambodia, .kh

For myself, I use a webmail account by the German provider GMX,  a GMX
ProMail account,  for which I pay the normal set  fees.

Neither we as an organization, nor I as an individual, own or have in
any other way an economic interest in any IT or ICT company or related
holding.

Mawaki Chango - Non Commercial Users Constituency

I am currently a full-time Ph.D. student and Graduate Assistant, and
I represent the Non-Commercial Users Constituency on the GNSO
Council. In addition, I am involved in social activism through my
participation in ACSIS (African Civil Society for Information
Society), as ICT policy advocator, and advisor to the ACSIS’
President.

Over the last five years, I have been involved as a consultant with
UNESCO, the International Development Research Centre, Open Society
Initiative for West Africa (Dakar), the Eduardo Mondlane University
(Maputo), and EvalNet (Johannesburg). I have never been involved in
any business related to the distribution and operation of Internet
resources.
Intellectual Property Interests Constituency
Ute Decker -  Intellectual Property Interests Constituency

I am full time employed as Deputy Director for Global Legal Policy by
the IFPI Secretariat.

I am also elected representative of the Intellectual Property
Constituency (IPC) to the GNSO Council.

The IFPI Secretariat is the head office of the International Federation
of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) representing the recording industry
worldwide.  IFPI is a non-commercial private sector non-governmental
organisation, funded through membership contributions.  IFPI is a member
of the IPC.  IFPI’s members are 1415 record companies, including EMI
Music, Sony BMG Music Entertainment, Warner Music, and Universal Music
and many independent record companies.

The IFPI Secretariat provides services to its member and to 48
affiliated national recording industry bodies; and is responsible for
co-ordinating international strategies in the key areas of the
organisation's work: enforcement of copyright and trademarks, advice on
technology and legal developments, relations with governments and
national industry bodies, representation in international organisations,
litigation, market research, and public relations.

Kiyoshi I. Tsuru -  Intellectual Property Interests Constituency

I, the undersigned, Kiyoshi I. Tsuru am a partner with the law firm of
BELLO, GALLARDO, MORALES Y TSURU, S.C., in Mexico City. I specialize in
Intellectual Property matters. I serve as a member of the Advisory
Committee of NIC Mexico, which is in turn a member of the ccNSO of
ICANN. From time to time, I have served as outside counsel to NIC
Mexico. I am the country manager for Mexico of the Business Software
Alliance (BSA) and a WIPO Panelist regarding disputes between domain
names and trademarks.
gTLD Registries constituency
Cary Karp -  gTLD Registries constituency

I am Director of Internet Strategy and Technology at the Swedish
Museum of Natural History (NRM), an agency of the Swedish government.
This is a full-time salaried position.

I serve in a similar capacity for the International Council of Museums
(ICOM) of which I am an individual member and NRM is an institutional
member. I receive a small additional honorarium for that activity.

I hold a non-remunerated position as the President and CEO of the
Museum Domain Management Association (MuseDoma), the Sponsoring
Organization for the .museum TLD.

NRM is the largest museum in Sweden and charged with advising private
and corporate entities in that country in matters relating to its
sphere of expertise. I am regularly involved in such action. Current
activity includes a joint initiative with NIC-SE, the operator of the
.se ccTLD, which is collaborating with NRM in a project in the context
of the Swedish national "Year of Cultural Diversity 2006". I also
advise NIC-SE in general matters relating to IDN.

I may from time to time receive separate honoraria for advisory
services provided as a result of my position at NRM, and may be
similarly compensated for writing and speaking engagements.

ICOM is an NGO maintaining formal relations with UNESCO and having
consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social
Council. I am directly involved in activity conducted by ICOM in its
relationship with UNESCO.

I represent MuseDoma in the gTLD Registry Constituency and am the
elected representative for the sTLDs on the GNSO Council.

I conduct no other activity with, and have no other interests of any
kind that involve, entities maintaining business or contractual
relationships with ICANN.

Chuck Gomes - gTLD Registries constituency

I am Vice President of Policy and Compliance for VeriSign, Inc.
VeriSign is the registry operator for the .com and the .net gTLDs and
also provides backend registry services in support of Global Name
Registry for the .name gTLD and Employ Media for the .jobs gTLD.
VeriSign is also the registry operator for two ccTLDs, .cc for the Cocos
and Keelings Islands and .tv for Tuvalu.

As an employee who supports VeriSign’s naming services business, I do
often have access to Registry Sensitive information including
information about registrars.  With regard to both our gTLD and ccTLD
registration services businesses as well as other VeriSign businesses,
our customers and business associates have interests in various ICANN
policy issues and may be members of other GNSO constituencies and/or
supporting organizations.

In addition to registry agreements with ICANN for .com and .net,
VeriSign also has obligations to the U.S. Department of Commerce through
a cooperative agreement that was initiated in 1993 and has been amended
many times since then.  Those obligations include providing the A and J
root servers as well as support to ICANN in implementing changes in the
root zone file.  As such, VeriSign is a member of the DNS Root Server
System Advisory Committee and also works closely with IANA staff in the
processing of root zone changes.

As a representative elected to the GNSO Council by the unsponsored gTLD
registry members of the gTLD Registry Constituency (RyC), I am required
by the Constituency’s Articles of Operation to represent the views of
those members and the full Constituency as applicable, not my own or
VeriSign’s.  In that regard, I will endeavor to always qualify any
personal statements as such and will follow-up with the RyC to obtain
their position.

I own shares of VeriSign stock and hold options to purchase additional
shares, but the amount of shares I currently own plus the potential
shares I could possibly own if I exercised all options is a miniscule
number relative to the total number of VeriSign shares.

Edmon Chung - gTLD Registries constituency
December 22, 2006

I am currently serving as the CEO for DotAsia Organisation Ltd. DotAsia is the registry operator and sponsor for the ICANN Sponsored gTLD ".ASIA". DotAsia is a not-for-profit membership based organization incorporated in Hong Kong. The current members of DotAsia includes 20 ccTLDs (".AF", ".BT", ".CN", ".ID", ".IN", ".IR", ".JP", ".KH", ".KR", ".KZ", ".MN", ".MO", ".NU", ".NZ", ".PH", ".SG", ".TJ", ".TW", ".UZ" and ".VN") in the Asia community and 3 regional organisations: APNIC, APNG and PAN. APNIC is an RIR in the ICANN ASO.

Prior to joining DotAsia, I was the Creative Director of Afilias Ltd. Afilias is the registry operator for the ICANN gTLD ".INFO". Afilias also provides registry services to other ICANN gTLDs, including ".ORG", ".AERO" and ".MOBI", as well as other ccTLDs including ".IN", ".AG", ".GI", ".SC", ".HN", ".BZ", ".VC", ".MN", ".LA", and ".SG".

Nominating Committee appointees to the GNSO Council
Sophia Bekele - Nominating Committee appointee to the GNSO Council

I represent a California based, privately held company, CBS Enterprise
Group, which is engaged in international business.    As part of its
portfolio of services, the company provides systems integration services
through CBS International, which delivers domain registration, web
hosting and email services to end users via a reseller, agreement with
registrars.  Less than 10% of CBS's business is derived from these
services.

In my personal capacity, I do not have any of my moneys, invested in
companies that are in the registrar businesses.  I do not believe that
any activities of the Council or ICANN could have a material effect on
the work I do at CBS International.

Avri Doria - Nominating Committee appointee to the GNSO Council
http://psg.com/~avri/icann-stmt-interest.html

I am an independent research consultant and have no employment,
contract, financial interest, share ownership or any other business
relationship with ICANN, registries or registrars except as a holder,
and fee payer, of several domain names in .com, .net and .org.

As part of my volunteer activities I have spoken to and given advise  to
various representatives of indigenous nomadic and semi-nomadic
populations on the topic of obtaining an TLD.

Jon Bing - Nominating Committee appointee to the GNSO Council

I am a Professor at the Faculty of Law, University of Oslo, holding a chair in Computers and Law created 1988. I work within the Norwegian Research Center for Computers and Law, (http://www.jus.uio.no/iri/english/index.html) an institution I co-funded in 1970. This makes me an old-timer within this area of law, consequently I also have broad research interests – an inheritance from the time one thought “computers and law” was a very narrow and esoteric field. I have worked extensively with legal information systems, text retrieval and knowledge based methods related to this. My interests in substantial law includes data protection (or privacy), intellectual property law applied to computer programs, databases, integrated circuits, and other material in machine-readable form, and media and communication law. I have in the past been member of the General Board of the Norwegian Research Council, and am currently chairing a research program on vulnerability and society within the NRC. I am a member of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, doctor honoris causa of Stockholm and Copenhagen, a former Visiting Professor of King’s College (University of London), and have collected many embarrassing honorary prizes or titles. A sketchy home page may be found at http://www.jus.uio.no/iri/english/nrccl/people/associates/bing.html.

The NRCCL is mainly financed by the state through the University budget, but accept external contracts. Among these are projects financed by the European Communities (though not a member of the EU, Norway participates on equal standing within the research co-operation), funds made available from the Ministry of Culture and Church Affairs (the funds are used to sponsor various activities related to copyright), and funds from NORID, which operates the Norwegian country domain .no. These latter funds are used for our research on Internet governance, which is taught in our international Master of Law and Information Communication Technology programme. This sponsorship has gone on from 2004, and English language anthology is expected to be published 2007. A set of ethical rules ensures the independence of the NRCCL from any outside source of funding.

I have in the past been consultant to several international organisations; these include OCED (both ICCP and PUMA), the EU Commission, UNESCO, WIPO, and UNDP. I have also been Norwegian delegate to specialised functions within OECD, WIPO, European Cultural Fund and UNESCO. Currently I am member of the International Advisory Committee of the UNESCO Memory of the World Programme (ending 2007). Nationally, I have served within may administrative or legal functions related to culture, for instance chair of the Art Council, Film Council, Cassette Tax Foundation etc, member of the Royal Commissions of the Freedom of Expression (which lead to an amendment of the Constitution), The Royal Commission of Copyright, and the Commission on Converging Technologies. I currently chair the Data Protection Tribunal.

I published my first collection of short-stories 1967, and with my fellow writer Tor Åge Bringsværd is often given the blame from having introduced science fiction to Norway. I have since them – under by own name or the joint by-line Bing & Bringsværd – published stories, novels, dramatic works for stage, television, and radio, and the libretti of four operas. I have translated a large number of fiction and non-fiction works (among them Bill Gates’ autobiography), and edited more than twenty science fiction anthologies. In Norway, I may be better known as an author than anything else. My next novel will be a juvenile scheduled for publication spring 2007.

I have served as the legal advisor to creative writers in Norway 1970-90, which certainly has influenced my perspective with respect to intellectual property. Currently, I am partner in the law firm Bing & Co (http://www.bing.no/ ), which mainly has a “back-office” function with respect to other law firms, but also manages my somewhat extensive commercial lecturing.