Re: [council] Term limits

  • To: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Term limits
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 13:55:38 -0500
  • Cc: council@xxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bret Fausett wrote:
As a relative outsider to the constituency structure with no horse in this
race -- I am not a member of any constituency and am stepping down from my
own term as ALAC liaison at the end of the Sao Paulo meeting -- I have to
agree with Philip that we need a more complete discussion on the pros and
cons of term limits. My fear is that some people may support term limits as
a mechanism to oust individual councilors who may be too effective in
advocating views that differ from their own.

You make a very valid point Bret. If this discussion is going to be useful and productive (and right-headed) it needs to be rooted in a concern for the good governance of this SO. I don't think that any of us will question the need for good governance, but I expect that we will disagree on what constitutes good governance and how to achieve it. If we can have a discussion about the issues at this level, I think we will find a productive outcome. If the discussion is rooted in personalities or specific situations, we will not find an appropriate outcome.

-ross