Re: [council] GNSO Vote for ICANN Board seat # 14

  • To: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] GNSO Vote for ICANN Board seat # 14
  • From: "Maureen Cubberley" <maureen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:08:48 -0500
  • Cc: "GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bruce, Alick and Fellow Councillors,

I am one of several GNSO Councillors who was contacted by Tim Ruiz ( of
GoDaddy) last Friday - in my case, just an hour before the nomination period
closed. Tim asked if I would nominate him for Board Seat #14. Because his
telephone call to me occurred so close to the close of nominations, and I was
travelling at the time, there was not time to determine whether or not a second
nomination would be a good idea, or even time to consider whether Tim would be
a suitable candidate. I advised him I would not be able to nominate him on such
short notice.

In the meantime, there has been some further correspondence. I have been
contacted again by Tim, and he has contacted Bruce as to the process for
extending nominations. Bruce has advised me that;

"In terms of process, the nomination period is closed, but the Council
could decide by vote to re-open the nomination period if there were
suitable candidates.  A member of Council would need to propose a
motion, and preferably have obtained some support from other councillors
prior to the meeting."

I wish to emphasize that it is not my purpose or intention in sending you this
email to set up a challenge to Michael Palage's candidacy. I am, rather,
responding in my capacity as a GNSO Councillor to a request from a member of
the Registrar constituency, and attempting to determine whether there is
interest amongst the Council members to entertain the possibility of
considering another candidate. If there is, perhaps we could have this
discussion during today's teleconference, and decide whether or not we want to
take the necessary steps to re-open the nomination period.

Best regards,
Maureen

Maureen Cubberley