RE: [council] GNSO Vote for ICANN Board seat # 14

  • To: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] GNSO Vote for ICANN Board seat # 14
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:49:19 +1100
  • Cc: "GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Alick,

> In most other organisations, when there is only a single
> candidate, when nominations close the single candidate is
> declared elected unopposed and there is no vote.

That is not the case for the ICANN Board elections.

>From the bylaws, Article X, section 3, paragraph 6:
http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm#X

"The GNSO Council shall make selections to fill Seats 13 and 14 on the
ICANN Board by written ballot or by action at a meeting; any such
selection must have affirmative votes comprising a majority of the votes
of all the members of the GNSO Council. Notification of the GNSO
Council's selections shall be given by the GNSO Chair in writing to the
ICANN Secretary, consistent with Article VI, Sections 8(4) and 12(1)."

The appointment is for three years.

Council members should ensure that the candidate meets the selection
criteria for a director, and has support from the GNSO community.

In terms of process, we can either use an email vote (to be ratified by
a subsequent Council meeting) or we simply hold a vote during a Council
meeting.   While we could hold a vote in the meeting on 17 March, some
Council members may feel they need time to interview the candidate and
discuss the candidate with members of the GNSO community prior to making
a decision.

> What happens if the sole candidate does not get a majority of
> the votes?

There are two options:
(1) we re-open the nomination period, and make an effort to seek
candidates for the Board.

(2) the sole candidate addresses any concerns that some Council members
may have had, and the vote is re-held.

The situation is really no different to that if you have only one
current candidate for a job.  If that candidate does not pass a job
interview, reference check etc, an organisation would seek more
candidates.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin