Non-PDP - Joint SO/AC on New gTLD Applicant Support Working Group
Archived Project 2011
This Final Report of the Joint SO/AC New gTLD Applicant Support Working Group (JAS WG or WG) outlines the WG’s final recommendations regarding a Developing Economies Support Program (Support Program or DESP) to be created by ICANN in conjunction with its New gTLD Program. The goal of this Support Program will be to provide financial and non‐financial assistance to new gTLD applicants that are approved for support.
- Wiki – https://community.icann.org/display/gnsojaswg/Home
- Email Archive – http://forum.icann.org/lists/soac-newgtldapsup-wg
Responsible Staff Member:
- Karla Valente
ICANN Board Resolution Text:
Adopted on: 12 March 2010
- Summary: On 12 March 2010 the ICANN Board adopted the resolution for the creation of the JAS Working Group….[see link for full details]
GNSO Resolution on the Initiation of the PDP:
Adopted on: 4 April 2010
- Summary: On 10 April 2010 the GNSO Council adopted the resolution for the creation of the JAS Working Group….[see link for full details]
Working Group Charter:
Adopted on: 24 May 2011
Preamble: The Joint SO/AC Working Group on New gTLD Applicant Support shall evaluate and propose recommendations regarding specific support to new gTLD applicants in justified cases. The working group expects to identify suitable criteria for provision of such support, to identify suitable support forms and to identify potential providers of such support. However, there is no presumption that the outcome will imply any particular governing structure. Accordingly, if the recommendations indicate that the preferred solutions are of a voluntary nature, the criteria and other provisions arrived at in line with the objectives below will solely serve as advice to the parties concerned. The objectives are not listed in any priority order. An overall consideration is that the outcomes of the WG should not lead to delays of the New gTLD process.
Objective 1: To identify suitable criteria that new gTLD applicants must fulfill to qualify for dedicated support. The criteria may be different for different types of support identified in line with Objective 2 and 3 below.
Objective 2: To identify how the application fee can be reduced and/or subsidized to accommodate applicants that fulfill appropriate criteria to qualify for this benefit, in keeping with the principle of full cost recovery of the application process costs.
Objective 3: To identify what kinds of support (e.g. technical assistance, organizational assistance, financial assistance, fee reduction) and support timelines (e.g. support for the application period only, continuous support) are appropriate for new gTLD applicants fulfilling identified criteria.
Objective 4: To identify potential providers of the identified kinds of support as well as appropriate mechanisms to enable support provisioning.
(Objective 5: To identify conditions and mechanisms required to minimize the risk of inappropriate access to support. Agreed within WG)
Working Group Initial Report:
Submitted on: 23 September 2010
- Report: http://gnso.icann.org/issues/jas/new-gtld-applicant-support-draft-recommendations-summary-report-23sep10-en.pdf
- Public Comment: http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/jas-milestone-report-11nov10-en.htm
Working Group Second Milestone Report:
Submitted on: 8 May 2011
- Report: http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/second-milestone-report-jas-08may11-en.pdf
- Public Comment: http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/second-milestone-report-10jun11-en.htm
Working Group Final Report:
Submitted on: 13 September 2011
- Report: http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/jas-final-report-13sep11-en.pdf
- Public Comment: http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/jas-final-report-13oct11-en.htm
ICANN Board Resolution Text:
Adopted on: 28 October 2011
- Summary: On 28 October 2011 the ICANN Board adopted the resolution for implementation of JAS Working Group Recommendations….[see link for full details]
- The recommendations were implemented by ICANN Staff and incorporated in to the approved Applicant Guide Book