

DEVAN REED:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. For the recording, this is Devan Reed. Welcome to the Council Committee for Overseeing and Implementing Continuous Improvement call taking place on Wednesday, 23 October, 2024. We do have no apologies listed today. Statements of interest must be kept up to date. If anyone has any updates to share, please raise your hand or speak up now.

All documentation and information can be found in the wiki space. Recordings will be posted on the public wiki space shortly after the end of the call. Please remember to state your name before speaking. Please note all chat sessions are being archived. As a reminder, participation in ICANN, including this session, is governed by the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior and the ICANN Community Anti-Harassment Policy. Thank you, and back over to Manju. Please begin.

MANJU CHEN:

Thank you, Devan. Hello, everyone. I'm very glad that you guys are here because me personally didn't know we have a meeting today until an hour earlier. Kudos to Jen who reminded me that we're having a meeting today. So, that was my welcome, and we will see each other very soon in Istanbul. Please be ready. So, Damon, to your question, there was a Board readiness call before this one. That's why people got to go to the toilet before they come back to Oracle.

For the second item on the agenda, it's announcement, work plan, and upcoming meeting schedule. Can I trouble Berry to do this item for me because I'm not exactly sure what announcements we have.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

BERRY COBB:

This is Berry Cobb for the record. Nothing really to announce. This is our final Standing Committee meeting just to review any last-minute inputs on the draft charter. Essentially, the next step, assuming that the group agrees that the draft is stable, staff will take the action to submit the draft charter for and its motion by the motions and documents deadline, which is Sunday the 3rd, I believe. Yes, Sunday the 3rd, November 3rd. And that's it.

Assuming that the council adopts the charter shortly afterwards, staff will be sending out a call for volunteers across the GNSO community. We don't know exact timing and duration for that call, but it'll probably extend well into January to give the stakeholder groups and constituencies time to figure out how they want to supply which resources to stand on the committee. Outside of that, I don't think I have anything else.

MANJU CHEN:

Thank you, Berry. So, that was our announcements. And please, this is my reminder to all of you, please go back to your respective groups and discuss the charter, CCOICI charter. Can I ask now if any of you have actually discussed this with your group? It's totally fine if nobody has done this yet, because me personally, I haven't seen discussions within NCSG yet either. So, I'm guessing nobody has really had a chance to discuss the charter with your group. And if not, before Istanbul.

I hope you at least will be able to allocate sometime during your Istanbul meeting, during your constituency day to spare some time to

talk about this, to just quickly look through the charter and see if you guys are ready to support the new charter of the new committee. And as in, I mean, another note is that we all know how Berry dislike the current name. And I think now that since we're changing the structure to not only council members on this committee, I think it makes sense that we change the name.

I haven't considered what name to be changed into, but just to, let's do this gesture, I guess, for Berry to think of a new name to change. And also, it will align better with the new structure, I think. So, let's think about it and discuss with your group soon. And now think about it too. And probably Berry already has 10 alternatives in mind. So, if we haven't thought of any, he will have choices for us to choose from. Berry, please.

BERRY COBB:

Thank you, Manju. I'm one about the KISS principle, but you know, standing committee for continuous improvements rolls off the tongue pretty easily in my opinion, but that's not why I raised my hand. If there is appetite from not only this group, but your respective groups and at the council, if you are interested in changing the name, we need to know that almost kind of yesterday.

So, I think the approach here is, I don't see how this group is going to get to agreement to change the name unless you want to do that today through executive decision amongst this Pilot Standing Committee. But if not, the only other way I can see the name changing by the motion and docs deadline is that, we don't change the name because staff does

need to start drafting the motion and those kinds of things. And perhaps it can be a friendly amendment when the council considers the charter and then staff can be empowered to take the action to make updates to the charter to the new naming convention. So, that's kind of how I view it.

MANJU CHEN: Damon, please.

DAMON ASHCRAFT: Sure. We're talking about names, how about CIC or just Council Improvement Committee?

MANJU CHEN: I guess it's not council, or is it council? Because it's not limited to council anymore. So, it's going to be a standing committee, right? Instead of a council committee, I think that's the main reason we're justified to change of name.

DAMON ASHCRAFT: All right. Well, or you could call it GIC, the GNSO Improvement Committee.

MANJU CHEN: GIC?

DAMON ASHCRAFT:

Yeah. Just throwing it out there.

MANJU CHEN:

Sounds okay to me, I guess. So, Berry, is it possible? I think you were saying that it's not possible if we change it now. The only possible way is we submit the motion and someone will kind of suggest a friendly amendment. And then that's the only way now that we can make the change in time. Was that what you're saying?

BERRY COBB:

Unless this group agrees to change the name right now. And if doing so, then we'll probably just send a pre-notification to the full council that this committee has decided to change the name under the circumstances. But again, if this group is not going to get to an agreement about a name, the only other way I see it without slowing us down to make the motion and docs deadline is to do a friendly amendment about it at the council itself.

MANJU CHEN:

So, we're having a GIC, which is GNSO Improvement Committee, is it? Shouldn't it be GCIC? So, it's GNSO Continuous Improvement Committee, GCIC. Do you guys think GCIC is better than CCOICI? I mean, GCIC is hard to pronounce if you have to pronounce it in a word, I guess. But if it's GIC, then it's GIC. And what was her? So, Berry, I remember Berry's suggestion is, yeah, I don't think anybody's going to die on the cell. Sending a meeting on continuous improvement which is SCCI which is I think or SCIC. So, I think can we can we have a quick vote

of the GCIC versus SCCI so I just typed in the chat. I think this is a quick decision we can make today right here and now because we are a bunch of decisive responsible adult that can make quick decisions. David, please.

DAMON ASHCRAFT: Are you calling for me or Devan?

MANJU CHEN: Devan. Devan, sorry for my pronunciation.

DEVAN REED: It's okay. I can make a poll really quick and then I can launch the poll in a few minutes and then people can vote.

MANJU CHEN: Oh, cool. Are we also considering SCI what's Standing Committee of Improvement. SCI is pretty cool, too. So, I guess we have GCIC, SCCI, and SCI, Devan that will be our poll.

DAMON ASHCRAFT: I like SCI too. We could do a poll and then just sort of take the top contender from that poll and be done with it.

MANJU CHEN: Yes. Thank you very much. So, while Devan is busy making the poll, just a friendly reminder that people to discuss this with your group. I don't

see we're having any strong oppositions during our council meeting either, but we did have a question from Jeff, which was, excuse me for paraphrasing him, but he basically asked if the task force is reporting directly to the council or I think he was asking if the report from the task force will be tunneling through the committee to the council. And I guess from my understanding or from previous practice, of course, the committee will know what the task force have been developing and they will know their report.

So, I will think that the task force, oh, is this added after Jeff's question or is it, was it there before Jeff asked a question? Sorry. Can anybody answer me this before? So, this is already in the charter so I guess that already answered Jeff's question. Does anybody think we need extra words to address Jeff's concern or this should be enough to answer his questions?

BERRY COBB:

Actually, Manju, I may have misspoken. I'm looking at a previous draft and I do not see that line in there. So, I'll need to dig through the history to see where it popped up. I thought it was there before.

MANJU CHEN:

Yeah, I don't remember seeing this either but my memories are not very accountable. So, I think what would I suggest is, we keep this text but we add another line that says, so it looks like from this sentence now, see, the task force outcome will be sent to the council directly. But I

think it will be important to note that CCOICI will not be totally ignorant of what the task force has been doing, because this line kind of suggests that, oh, okay, it's just going to be from the task force to the council.

So, I think it would be nice if we add a line explaining that, okay, CCOICI will be in the loop during the whole thing and they will know what the outcome of the TF is when it's sent to the council. Berry, I see your hand.

BERRY COBB:

So, apologies. So, yeah, there was a change on October 21st, a couple of days ago. The previous language was the task force leadership team may hold standing calls to discuss the status and changes to the project's Ad Hoc calls when necessary. And I'm not, maybe that previous language was not very clear, but then it was based off of the Jeff comment where this new provision showed up.

MANJU CHEN:

Thank you, Berry. So, I think we can keep this new text, but like I said, I think it will be helpful if we add another line indicating that CCOICI will be in the know of what is happening in the task force and will be notified when the outcome is sent to the council too. Saewon, please.

SAEWON LEE:

Hi, I don't want to add any confusion, but this line was actually added by me. And if you can see in the comment on the side, I also added another phrase that we could maybe add if needed, just because A, of the question that was raised by Jeff during the council meeting of how

does the task force deliver its report or deliver its outcome. But B also, because when I look through the whole charter, it didn't really give specificity as to how the task force will communicate with CCOICI, other than if you see down in the page where there's the task force membership structure and criteria, you can see that, and I think it's page seven, in the leadership structure, you can see that the CCOICI chair does participate as an ex-officio capacity.

And because of this, I was unsure if we wanted to add that additional line that I have added in the comments related to do we need an Ad Hoc or Ad Hoc call or standing call if the CCOICI chair were to attend the task force calls and were informed anyways. So, these were the two points that I wanted us to discuss, just because though we know as a team that the CCOICI and task force will be in close communication and be informed to those who are new to this charter or to are new to this committee, it's quite difficult to understand exactly how it will work. And Jeff's question during the council meeting did seem to raise that, let's say, missing spot.

MANJU CHEN:

Yes. Thank you, Saewon. So, I'm sorry, are we choosing between the CCOICI chair and versus the task force leadership or if we're going to include both of the paragraphs? Saewon, please.

SAEWON LEE:

So, that was the question that staff wanted to raise to this team, again, just to make, to provide clarity based off of Jeff's question during the council meeting. A, are we happy with how it shows in the charter

where in the task force membership structure, and I'm very sorry about my voice. I have a bad cold.

So, basically, is it, are we happy with what's currently in the charter with the task force's membership structure and leadership structure where it shows CCOICI chair to be attending and is that enough? And, or do we want to provide a bit more clarity with A, the line that I've added in to the charter with the red lines, but also adding somewhere the comment that I have added in the bottom where it shows the standing calls.

So, if you see in the comment, the bottom part of the comment, yes, I was unsure if we wanted to add this as well. So, based off of what you said, Manju, if we do keep the red lines, do we think this is enough or do we want to add another line to just specify how the task force will work with CCOICI?

MANJU CHEN:

Thank you, Saewon. So, I think my personal preference is to specify how the task force will work with the CCOICI. So, as I suggested, I think it's nice to keep what is now in the document and then we add how they're going to report back or how the CCOICI is going to be kept in the loop of what has been going on during the task force.

So, I think I will choose to, or opt for adding the task force leadership team will join CCOICI team goals, that one, to this text. And please, if anyone could post a link to this document to the chat, we will highly appreciate that. And I'll now open the floor to anyone who would suggest otherwise or show your support for my suggestion. So, I think I will take silence as the support for my suggestion, which is we keep

what is now in the document. And then what's happening? We keep what's now currently in the document and we add an extra explanation of how the task force is going to report back to CCOICI per-- how do you say that, per-- well, like regularly before they finish their products and send it to council.

Cool. So, I'll trouble staff to clear that up and record it while we have decided today. And I think we have two other outstanding points where we have made in the documents. I made comments in the document and we were hoping that we can discuss quickly here and see if we agree. So, for the Board liaisons, at first, I think the original text, if you can see from the document, and let me also go to the doc because I am not able to read from the screen. It says, so the original text says the Board are not expected to actively participate in the CCOICI deliberations. And I suggested to delete it and it is deleted now, as you can see from the screen.

And I guess our question to you guys is, are you okay with the deletion? My rationale was that I don't think. I think we had this kind of, I feel like reading from the room when we were discussing about the roles of Board liaisons, we all agreed that they should play a more active role in CCOICI. That's why I didn't like the phrase that they are not expected to actively participate. I don't want them to limit themselves from not participating in the deliberations when they have to. So, if everyone is okay with the deletion, we will keep the text as it is now, and we will remove the comments. Jen, please.

JENNIFER CHUNG:

Thanks, Manju. Jen, for the record, I agree with the deletion of that. We don't want to set expectations. Plus, I think even now we're wrestling with what exactly is the role that the Board liaison plays. So, if we point them to the Board liaison guidelines, I think that is the way to go about doing that. Thank you.

MANJU CHEN:

Thank you. So, I think we all agreed that deletion is better then, So the current text is okay. And let's move on to the next outstanding one, which is the Leadership Structure. So, the original text said that the council vice chairs from each house will participate on the CCOICI and its leadership team. And I think we agreed that we didn't have to have both vice chairs from the council. And we agreed to add a vice chair to the CCOICI, who doesn't have to be a council member or whatsoever.

This person only needs to be from another house from the chair, which balance out the whatever houses within the GNSO. I felt like that was our agreement that we didn't need both vice chairs from the council. We only need one vice chair who doesn't need to be a council vice chair or a council member. He/she just needs to be a CCOICI member and from another house, different than the CCOICI chair. Is that agreeable to everyone? Because I feel like that was what we discussed and that was what we agreed during the call. Damon, please.

DAMON ASHCRAFT:

Yeah, Manju, I just want to say, yeah, this is agreeable. I like this. And I think the fact that you're keeping the leadership structure lean is best.

We don't want this to be cumbersome. And I think you've done a nice job with this structure. So, thank you.

MANJU CHEN:

Thank you, Damon. And I am not seeing any objections. Thank you, Jen. So, I think these outstanding points are all now all clarified. So, did anyone have any recollection of what was like, did you recall any people asking any questions during our council meeting and we needed to kind of consider and answer it? I personally didn't recall anything and it was quite in a hurry. So, I don't think people had the time to really consider anything anyways. So, I think that kind of wraps up this item on the agenda. And can we go back to the agenda? I don't think we have anything left.

BERRY COBB:

That's correct. We've exhausted the outstanding items other than the name.

MANJU CHEN:

Oh, yes. So, are we ready for the poll?

DEVAN REED:

Yes. I will launch it now.

MANJU CHEN:

Thank you, Davan. Guys, cast your votes.

DEVAN REED: If you use two screens, it might be hiding on your first or second screen.

BERRY COBB: Does staff get to break the normal rule and also get to vote?

MANJU CHEN: Yes, I give the extra permission to vote. Oh, everyone on the call, including staff could vote.

DEVAN REED: Well, I didn't include co-hosts.

MANJU CHEN: You can vote in the chat.

DEVAN REED: I think everyone's voted.

MANJU CHEN: Co-hosts who want to vote in the chat can vote now too. If you don't want to vote it's okay too. I'm going to do a countdown from five. So, five, four, three, two, one. Okay, let's see the results. Oh, so we got SCI. We're counting one more vote from SCCI. Does that change the results?

DEVAN REED: If you're counting Saewon's vote in the chat, they did tie.

MANJU CHEN: Oh, so it's SCCI versus SCI. Do we have a tie-breaking mechanism? Sadly, we don't. So, actually me personally, I vote for GCIC. So, our tie-breaking mechanism now is I change my vote. So, I will change it to-- that's very hard. Okay, I'm going to change to SCCI because I think it looks cute. It looks like a pair of glasses. So, the decision is made. It's going to be SCCI. So, let it be marked down in the meeting motion or meeting notes. And I think that means we are changing the name for now and for the future SCCI. And that will be in our motion to the council too that we're changing the name.

Yes. Okay. And I think we have exhausted our agenda items for this meeting. Thank you everyone for joining. And I think we have accomplished a very magnificent text, which is changing the name and we finished our charter. And thank you again. I'll see you guys. Oh, okay. Sorry. Suddenly two hands. First Berry and then Jen.

BERRY COBB: So, yes, a couple of follow-ups. So, staff will take the action to modify the charter with the new name. We'll send out a link to the group once those changes have been made for a final version that you can take back to your groups. And we'll also be taking the action item to draft up the motion, which I think we'll also send to this group for any input before it gets submitted by November 3rd. And my final point is, I can't

emphasize enough about not only the conversation you need to have with your groups about this charter, but it's really more about who from your groups are going to stand up and volunteer for this.

As I noted shortly after ICANN81, we'll be sending out the call for volunteers. But as I've broken record said many times, there's a considerable amount of work ahead of this standing committee. So, it definitely promises to be a busy 2025 just for this standing committee alone. And some of the things that have already kind of stacked up. So, I think that's a very important conversation that the groups need to have at Istanbul and certainly through the end of the year. That's all I have. Thank you.

MANJU CHEN:

Thank you, Berry. I'm not sure why you can't talk to registry today yet, but I guess, the charter itself is quite ready or as we, I mean, the version we sent to council was already all right, but I guess we can wait for the final version too. So, please guys, remember what Berry said. Talk to your groups, decide who you're going to send to the future as SCCI and prepare to have a discussion in Istanbul of this new charter. Thank you everyone. I'll happily give you guys back your 33 minutes, sorry, 23 minutes of your life. And I'll see you guys in Istanbul. Hopefully everyone, is there any other last minute AOB? If not, see you. Bye.

SAEWON LEE:

Thank you.

DEVAN REED: Thanks.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]