

---

**ICANN Transcription  
IDNs EPDP Team**

**Wednesday, 18 August 2021 at 13:30 UTC**

Note: Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Attendance and recordings of the call are posted on agenda wiki page:

[https://community.icann.org/x/QQE\\_Cg](https://community.icann.org/x/QQE_Cg)

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page

<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar>

JULIE BISLAND:

All right, well, good morning, good afternoon, and good evening, everyone. Welcome to the EPDP on IDNs call taking place on 18 August 2021.

In the interest of time, there will be no roll call. Attendance will be taken by the Zoom room. If you're only on the telephone, could you please let yourself be known now?

All right, we have apologies today from Michael Bauland and Farell Folly.

All members and participants will be promoted to panelists for today's call. Members and participants, when using the chat please select either "Panelists and Attendees" or select "Everyone" depending on your Zoom update in order for everyone to see your chat. Observers will have view only chat access.

Statements of interest must be kept up to date. If anyone has any updates to share, please raise your hand or speak up now.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

EDMON CHUNG: I don't know whether I need to do that because I guess I'm not quite on the Board yet but that would be in a couple of months. So I don't know whether I should add that at this point. But it shouldn't affect the work in the next two months, but just to note I'm glad that I'll be joining the ICANN Board at the end of the AGM this year.

JULIE BISLAND: Fantastic. Thank you, Edmon. As a reminder, your statement of interest will need to be updated. If you need assistance, if anyone needs assistance updating your statements of interest, please email the GNSO secretariat. Thank you.

All documentation and information can be found on the EPDP IDN wiki space. Recordings will be posted to the public wiki space shortly after the end of the call. Please remember to state your name before speaking today.

As a reminder, those who take part in the ICANN multistakeholder process are to comply with the expected standards of behavior. Thank you and I'll turn it over to our chair, Edmon Chung. Please begin. Edmon, you're muted. Sorry.

JEFF NEUMAN: Julie, there's still a couple attendees that need to be promoted. I think Edmon might have gone into that elevator he was talking about.

---

EDMON CHUNG: Yes, that was the exactly the elevator that I talked about. I did hear you, but it seems like I was unable to unmute and get through to you. But hopefully, you can hear me now. Hello?

JULIE BISLAND: I can hear you loud and clear, Edmon. Thank you.

EDMON CHUNG: Okay, thank you. So welcome, everyone, to the second call for the IDN EPDP. I guess thank you for the staff team for sending out a brief agenda for the meeting. I don't think we need to get too much on the welcome. Let's jump right into it unless anyone has anything to add to the agenda.

MAXIM ALZOBA: Hi.

EDMON CHUNG: I am not able to see the hands yet. I'm just getting settled in. Sorry, someone was jumping in.

MAXIM ALZOBA: If I may?

EDMON CHUNG: Maxim, please.

---

MAXIM ALZOBA: Edmon, my congratulations. And I think that formally from the transparency point of view we might need to request a clarification from the council leadership about the moment when the IDN EPDP needs a new chair. Because formally if you're a Board elect, you have interests. You have to protect interests of ICANN as organization, and it might influence the outcome of some items. Just from formal perspective. It's not anything personal.

So I think we might proceed with the current meeting because we haven't heard anything from GNSO Council leadership, and we may put it offline. I mean, send an email after the meeting with a request for clarification. Thanks.

EDMON CHUNG: Yes, I think that makes sense. Sorry, I switched devices, hopefully.

JULIE BISLAND: Edmon, we did just lose audio.

EDMON CHUNG: Hello?

JULIE BISLAND: Okay, thank you.

EDMON CHUNG: Am I back on?

JULIE BISLAND: Yes, you are.

EDMON CHUNG: That's great. Sorry, I just switched devices. Yes, I think, Maxim, you're quite right. In fact this is one of the first things that I think we'll need to seek some clarification from ICANN and probably from the ICANN council. But if everyone feels it's okay to carry on, let's get going with this particular meeting.

And I guess many of you will understand why I'm very keen, last time also mentioning, that we would be great to have a vice chair which is going to be our first item on the agenda. Perhaps at least in the transition the vice chair would allow us to work reasonably forward with the work at hand. Does that make sense for everyone? I guess Maxim raised the question and also mentioned that it makes sense to continue the discussion at least for this time unless someone feels that it's inappropriate, let's push forward with the meeting.

ANIL JAIN: This is Anil Kumar Jain from NIXI, for the record. Edmon, I fully agree with you that, first of all, this particular meeting you continue as you are, and it will be wonderful to have you as chair in this meeting. And for the next meeting, either a new chair can come or a vice chair can continue to handle the responsibility of the chair from next meeting onward until we hear the clear cut guidelines from ICANN council. Thank you.

EDMON CHUNG: Thank you, Anil. Sorry, I just saw your hand. I'm back onto my laptop, so it's good to be able to see everything and conduct the meeting properly. So with that, any other thoughts or questions before we jump into the agenda in terms of the meeting time? And then we'll look at the vice chair. Okay, Satish?

SATISH BABU: Thanks, Edmon. I have a question. We have to report back to our constituencies. Is there anything that we cannot talk about? Is there any item that is completely internal to this working group that cannot be shared outside?

EDMON CHUNG: That's a good question. I guess this is a pretty open working group, and all the group, the meetings are recorded and they are posted publicly. And as I see on the chat also that confirms that I think we would be as transparent as any working group or the most transparent working group. So I don't see that as a problem, so please feel free to bring back any of the discussions that are held here to your stakeholders and constituencies.

Okay, so seeing no further hands, I guess the next item is just the confirmation on the regular meeting time. This meeting time works generally well, I guess, based on the Doodle for the group and especially for myself. But as mentioned, maybe with a future new chair and all that, that might have to be changed.

---

But at least for the next month or so perhaps I wonder if this is the right time for people to have a consistent meeting of this group which is—looking at the UTC—it would be 13:30 UTC. Based on the Doodle poll that we have, that seems to be the time that makes most sense for everyone. Does that work for everyone, at least for the time being, for the next few meetings to be scheduled at this time? Thank you, Tomslin. Seeing no particular concern with it, I guess we'll at least go for this time for the time being.

All right, so the next item on the agenda is the selection of the vice chair as mentioned. Oh, I see Steve has his hand up. Steve?

STEVE CHAN: Thanks, Edmon. I actually just wanted to clarify that the Doodle poll looked like it said 13:00 UTC rather than 13:30.

EDMON CHUNG: Oh, sorry.

STEVE CHAN: So before we move on I just wanted to clarify whether or not we wanted to stick with where we met today or a half hour earlier. Thanks.

EDMON CHUNG: So sorry for that. So the Doodle poll result actually is half an hour earlier than what we did today. Is that still okay? I guess Doodle is the one. I see a note from Lianna about rotation. Personally with some of the groups that I've worked with rotation sounds good but

---

a lot of the times implementation makes it difficult because people forget and actually getting into a time is a little bit better. But, Lianna, did you want to expand on that a little bit, or is that difficult for you?

LIANNA GALSTYAN:

Hi, everyone. Thank you. Just to make it clear, first of all, that was just a clarifying question whether we will have this or not, taking into account the time zone challenge for many of us. But personally for me it's okay.

I just wanted to raise the issue of some conflict of the CPWG meetings that we have the rotation there which starts at 13:00 UTC biweekly. So that will be a constant conflict with that group meeting where we have an update from this group. So that was the question, actually, to see whether we can have the rotation or it's a fixed time and what we can do not to have this conflict. Thank you.

EDMON CHUNG:

Thank you, Lianna. That's useful information. I guess with that it seems like a little bit more than expected is in the flux, so how about we take this back. Let's schedule the next meeting for 13:00 UTC. And then we'll have to bring this back to a little bit of the drawing board and reconsider, especially with the need to clarify on the chair issue and that. But in general, I guess as Maxim mentioned also a rotation is sometimes a bit challenging and especially for attendance and so on, at least for the ones that I have been experienced with.



---

So for the time being, we'll put it as 13:00 UTC seeing no particular objections from it. I note from Lianna that there is a potential conflict that will happen, and let's come back to deal with that once we have a little bit more horizon on some certainties on the leadership and the arrangement for this working group. Does that make sense? I don't see a lot of people jumping up with their hands. So with that I guess at least for the time being we'll forge ahead with that. Thank you, Steve, for reminding me. Sorry about the error.

So the next item is the selection of the vice chair. We have two volunteers that have put up their hands for being the vice chair: Donna Austin and Anil Kumar Jain. I wonder if...I've asked staff to prepare a little bit of a poll to get us completed with this. I wonder if Donna and Anil may be able to give us, I guess, a brief note before we go into a quick poll for this. But I see Jeff has his hand up first, so Jeff.

JEFF NEUMAN:

Yes. What I would think would be good is if we could after this poll ask the other person to be the vice chair too. Because we're going to have...because once you step down presumably the vice chair will move up. And since we have two excellent volunteers, I wonder if we could recommend that whoever I guess "wins"—I hate the term win—but whoever leads in the poll would step up to become the chair or that's what we would recommend and the person who comes in second I guess could be a vice chair once your Board position takes effect.

---

EDMON CHUNG: Thank you, Jeff. I would guess that the chair position might need the council process. So I don't...maybe for the interim as in for the transition the vice chair would help smooth the transition, but my guess is that it would probably...it doesn't work as in the vice chair would become the chair. But in essence it might become the chair de facto for a few meetings. But I'm guessing that the council will probably need to appoint a chair. And the vice chair might actually continue to stay on as vice chair even with the new chair. And I see a couple of notes from the chat as well. It seems like we're heading into new waters in this particular situation. Maxim, I see your hand up.

MAXIM ALZOBA: Do you hear me?

EDMON CHUNG: Yes.

MAXIM ALZOBA: I think that there should be something like a selection process even if it ends up in GNSO Council leadership making an opinion. It could be a selection committee of GNSO if there are many applicants. But, yeah, I think we cannot say who the next chair is ourselves. Thanks.

EDMON CHUNG: Yes, thank you, Maxim. I note Jeff's chat notes. I think the question is I guess the current charter specifies one particular vice

---

chair and I think for “simplicity” sake that we push forward with that. Then we can get everything set and get rolling. And I think we can always note the interest and the willingness, and then we can come back to this once things are settled. But my inclination is let’s settle the current situation as is and get moving forward first. And then for the clarifications from the Board and also how the transition might happen, we will react to that. That’s sort of my inclination, but I see Anil has his hand up. Anil?

ANIL JAIN:

Thank you. Edmon, my suggestion is that since this is an uncertain situation, let you remain as the leadership position until the ICANN council decides about the new change as the chair. And the vice chair may be decided after the new chair joins the group. This is my suggestion. Depends on the members and participants to decide. Thank you.

EDMON CHUNG:

Thank you, Anil. That’s an interesting suggestion. Yeah, I think as Justine just mentioned on the chat, the concern I have is that if we do not select a vice chair, then there might actually be a period of time where we are left without a leadership structure in place and that would interrupt the work that we do. And I think that’s something that, at least if possible, I would like to avoid happening.

So I guess just rewinding back a little bit, I understand that, in fact, I feel that both Donna herself and Anil yourself are great candidates to help carry this working group forward. But I think I

---

guess as a brief matter of administrative process what is most straightforward for the group might be to nominate a vice chair and push forward with the work as much as we can right now.

And as we have instructions from ICANN and the GNSO Council we can then adjust at that time so that we would be either in the position where I could continue to chair until I join the Board or would have a vice chair to chair and be able to push forward the work. That's sort of my thinking. And I see that there is some support at least from the chat.

Okay, so with that...oh, there's a hand up. Justine? Justine, please go ahead.

JUSTINE CHEW:

Sorry. Thanks, Edom. I had to double unmute myself. I just had a question. Before we get to the poll, can I ask if the poll is going to be made available to all participants or just members of [inaudible]?

EDMON CHUNG:

Right. Good question. I think it's for the members. Staff team, I guess how would we work with this? Steve or Emily or other, would you jump in just to explain a little bit our approach in terms of the poll?

STEVE CHAN:

I can try. And I also welcome Julie Bisland, who will help us administer the poll, to jump in also. If I recall correctly, it will be an

---

anonymous poll and it will be members only. I think what we had potentially envisioned is actually moving...so keeping members as panelists and having only the members participate in the poll but actually move participants over to the attendees list or waiting room temporarily until we complete the poll. Julie, correct me if I got that wrong.

JULIE BISLAND:

That is correct, Steve. We're going to...we've renamed everyone to identify your line as either a participant or, if you are a member, then your affiliation is after your name. We will move all of the participants over to attendees and then launch the poll, have members vote. And then at some point later on we'll move everyone back over to panelists.

EDMON CHUNG:

Okay, that seems quite clear. I see that with the clarification the hands went down. So I guess that's a good point. So without further ado I guess maybe, Donna and Anil, maybe just a very brief 30 seconds, one minute note to the group. Perhaps why it's a good thing, why you would like to help out in the vice chair position. And then we'll go into the arrangement for the quick poll, and then we can move on. Again, thank you both for volunteering, but I'll invite Donna perhaps to briefly give us a note first and then Anil. Donna?

DONNA AUSTIN:

Thanks, Edmon. And I guess this is a time where it's ladies first, is it? Thank you for the kind words and the support that I have

received in standing for vice chair. It wasn't something that I had intended to do, but I was involved in the chartering of this group, drafting the charter of this group. So I have a reasonable understanding of the task that is ahead of this team.

I have spent a few years on the GNSO Council, three of those as vice chair so I understand the processes behind a GNSO policy development process or GNSO expedited policy development process. So I am very confident in the manner in which this PDP should be conducted to make sure that it meets all the requirements of the GNSO operational guidelines.

And just IDNs itself, I've been around the industry for a long time, and way back when the ccNSO fast track was being developed, I was actually on the ICANN staff and I was part of the team that was supporting that joint effort by the ccNSO and the GAC. So I am very familiar with the topic. I understand the value of IDNs and some of the challenges of IDNs as well.

I was working for [inaudible] registry when the new gTLD program came out in 2012, and we had a TLD [inaudible]. And I have to say sadly that it wasn't the success we hoped it would be because of some of those challenges that occur with IDNs, and that's around demand for IDNs and just the willingness or the ability of people to be able to participate on the Internet in their language. So I have familiarity with the challenges associated with IDNs.

I will say that I'm not an expert in the technical side of this, but I certainly well appreciate the policy challenges and also how the technical is important to the policy and that the real challenge for us here is to ensure that we have policy recommendations that

---

---

are technically feasible. So that's something I would hope to help the leadership work through as we go through this process.

Okay, thanks, Edmon.

EDMON CHUNG: Thank you, Donna, for the note. And, Anil, please?

ANIL JAIN: Thank you. First of all, I want to thank all members and participants who have considered me for a vice chair position of this particular group. I would like to take three positions in this.

Number one, as an administrative experience and technical experience, I am a technocrat with [inaudible] service from government of India, and I served for the last 38 years at a leadership position. I am known as the person who initiated broadband in India in 2005 when we launched the broadband simultaneously in the country. Last, when I was in government I was the chief general manager in charge of the next generation network converting all traditional telephone exchanges to next generation telephone exchanges, that is IP based telephone exchanges.

Presently, I'm working as chief executive officer in charge of everything and responsible for all the three services. Number one, [inaudible] Internet exchange. We are the first one in the country. The domain [.IN] and the IDN domain [inaudible] in the country. And third, I'm also heading the national Internet registry that is given to India. So this is the first group of introductions.

---

Second, my experience in ICANN related areas is that I am vice chair of IDN ccPDP Working Group 4 which is dealing in IDN policy development process, which includes the variant management, which includes the deselection process, and which includes the confusing similarity also.

I am very happy to inform you that the main working group has already completed the first phase of our discussion. The variant management subgroup, which I am attending very regularly, has completed almost 60% of the work and we hope that by November we should be able to present the first report of the variant management group also.

I am also the chair of a working group to define the strategy of APTLD for the next three years. A few members of this group are also members of that working group, and I'm very happy to inform you that we have almost completed the work of that working group two months ahead of the scheduled time.

Third, government of India has elected me as the chair for India IGF, and we are going to conduct the first India IGF in 2021. This is the second, my experience in the related field.

Third, why me and why India? India represents a country with 22 IDNs in 15 [inaudible], which is perhaps the biggest in the world. And we are promoting IDNs in all 22 official languages since 2013 onward. And this year, we have taken up a major project of universal acceptance in the country with the aim that there should be an inclusive development of Internet in the country.



---

So the experience which we are able to get in promoting these 22 IDNs in the country will be quite helpful in various discussions of this EPDP group also.

So that is why I personally feel that I have sufficient experience which is administrative experience, technical experience, the experience of the policy development process of ICANN, and also in IGF and a country which has the maximum number of IDNs and the work which is happening is tremendous. Thank you. Thank you for patiently listening.

EDMON CHUNG:

Thank you, Anil. With that, actually, I will pass it to Julie and Steve to conduct the quick poll. Again, thank you both for volunteering. I guess whoever gets it, we tremendously appreciate both of your volunteering. Julie and Steve?

JULIE BISLAND:

All right, thank you, Edmon. We're going to start moving participants over into a waiting room. So if you could just stand by for a moment. All right, it looks like we have everybody moved over. If you're a participant and you can still hear me, please raise your hand so we can get you moved over. In the meantime, I'll go ahead and launch the poll. One moment. Edmon, Sarmad.... Edmon, did you...? Is your audio working?

EDMON CHUNG:

Hopefully.

JULIE BISLAND: Okay.

EDMON CHUNG: Should I be also put in the waiting room? I have not voted and I don't...I will not vote.

JULIE BISLAND: That's okay. I think the purpose of putting people in the waiting room and putting them on hold was to just ensure that they didn't vote.

EDMON CHUNG: Okay.

JULIE BISLAND: We trust you that you're not going to. Sarmad, did you want to...?

SARMAD HUSSAIN: Just raising my hand. I haven't voted. I don't intend to vote, but you can move me to the waiting room if you like.

JULIE BISLAND: Okay, thank you. We only have 53% participation at this time.

EDMON CHUNG: Is that 53% of those that are on the call or 53% of the members?

---

JULIE BISLAND: It shows 8 of 15 have participated for those allowed to participate.

EDMON CHUNG: Oh. Hmm. I guess let's give it another minute. It may be the case where people want to abstain because we don't have an abstain button there. But let's keep it on for another minute and we'll close it. Maybe you'll announce for the last 20 seconds and then close it.

JULIE BISLAND: And then, Edmon, we actually didn't discuss this. Would you like me to at the time we close the poll share results with just the members or would you like me to bring on all of the participants to show the results?

EDMON CHUNG: No, let's share with just the members first and then bring in everyone and then announce the results as well.

JULIE BISLAND: Okay, great. Thank you. And currently we have 10 of 15 who have voted.

EDMON CHUNG: Michael, did you want to ask a question?

---

MICHAEL KARAKASH: Yes, I was just going to say similar to Sarmad, I'm not intending to vote. If you could move me to the waiting room as well.

EDMON CHUNG: Noted.

MICHAEL KARAKASH: Thank you.

EDMON CHUNG: Thank you. All right, how about last 10 seconds. And we'll close the vote. Julie?

JULIE BISLAND: Okay, closing the vote now.

EDMON CHUNG: All right, it looks like we have more support for Donna at this time. Are the members of this group comfortable with this result? If there is anyone who wants to raise concerns with this, please do so. If not, we'll invite everyone back in and announce this. Will this continue to show as people come back in?

JULIE BISLAND: Yes.

EDMON CHUNG: Okay.

JULIE BISLAND: I can admit them all and as they join, they'll be able to see the results. Or I can stop sharing right now if you wanted to make any comments and then I can share it again.

EDMON CHUNG: All right. Let me know when everyone is let back in.

JULIE BISLAND: Would you like me to stop sharing right now?

EDMON CHUNG: No, no. Just keep it on.

JULIE BISLAND: Okay, one moment.

EDMON CHUNG: Do we have everyone one back?

JULIE BISLAND: We are waiting for two. They might have just a slow connection. There are two left waiting to be joined back. One second. One more. Sorry, Edmon. It truly is a connection issue.

---

EDMON CHUNG:

No worries. Looking at the time, let's forge ahead because we have most people here. So I guess everyone can see the result of the poll. Again, I guess this is...I would like to congratulate Donna, but I also would like to thank both Donna and Anil for willing to put in their...volunteer their efforts to this process.

I see two hands up, but I just want to just quickly note a couple things. One is that we're running very quickly out of time, so in terms of the general time for today we might not finish all the briefing from staff in terms of background. I think the background is really important, so I do not want to completely rush it. So, Sarmad, please try to be concise and at a particular time, but don't need to rush it.

But before we go to that, Anil?

ANIL JAIN:

Thank you, Edmon. And I would like to congratulate Donna for her selection by the group of members as vice chair of this esteemed group. And I would like to extend my support to Donna in all the working and briefing of this group [and to chair also]. And I would like to thank all members of this working group for listening to me, considering me. And I want to thank those who have voted for me also. Thank you very much.

EDMON CHUNG:

Thank you, Anil. With that, it's great to have Donna as the vice chair. And at least this gives me comfort that we will have some continuity even as there might be some changes expected in the next couple of months. And as mentioned early on in the meeting,

---

I'll definitely work with the ICANN staff and ICANN Legal to clarify what should be done in this case. But the aim is to minimize the interruption for the work here.

So with that, I'll...Anil, is that a new hand?

ANIL JAIN: No, Edmon. I think I forgot to lower down. Thank you.

EDMON CHUNG: Okay, with that I'll move to your real agenda and I'll pass it to Sarmad. As I mentioned, Sarmad, please no need to rush but noting the time please end at...maybe you won't complete everything in terms of the background, but we might continue that forward. But leave a couple minutes so we could wrap up here as well. Is it Sarmad or Steve or who would I pass it to, actually?

SARMAD HUSSAIN: Thank you, Edmon. I would like to share my screen, if you can allow me.

EDMON CHUNG: You should be able to share.

SARMAD HUSSAIN: It says host [inaudible].

---

JULIE BISLAND: Yes, I'm so sorry. Give me one moment, Sarmad. Co-host. Oops. Okay, there you go.

SARMAD HUSSAIN: Okay, so hopefully all of you can see my slide deck. I'll try to take you through quickly, stopping on some more salient points. The slide deck will be available to you in case you want to take a closer look later.

So basically the IDNs were initially offered early on in 2003 when the IETF also finalized the IDNA2003 standard. The initial IDNs were offered based on the IDN implementation guidelines which were developed by the community. And the reason I bring that up is because the IDN implementation guidelines are also in the scope of the IDN EPDP.

So the very initial IDNs which were offered at the second level were based on the very first version of the IDN implementation guidelines. These guidelines have been updated from time to time. Currently, Version 3.0 is applicable which was updated in 2011. And then recently IDN guidelines 4.0 were developed by the community and published in 2018. And GNSO is currently considering these guidelines per the review, and they will obviously be part of the discussion in this IDN EPDP.

As far as the top-level IDNs are concerned, they were initially offered as IDN ccTLDs based on the IDN ccTLD fast track process which was developed by ccNSO. And through the fast track process the first IDN ccTLDs were added to the root zone in 2010. And today there are 62 IDN ccTLDs from 43 countries and



---

territories which have been added [inaudible] successfully evaluated and most of them have now been evaluated as well.

As far as IDN generic top-level domains are concerned, they were initially introduced through the GNSO policy in the new gTLD round which was offered in 2012, 2013. And basically, the policy said that IDNs could be supported at the top level along with the ACSII and also that if an applicant offers IDN service at the second level, then ICANN IDN guidelines would be followed. And there are additional details in the Applicant Guidebook which build on top of this policy. And to date there are 93 IDN gTLDs which have been delegated.

So along with this process of offering IDNs at the top level as well as the second level, the community noted that sometimes technically distinct labels could be considered the same by relevant script community. And they were normally termed as variant labels, but at that time there was no clear definition of what variants were because they could be different things to different script communities.

So for example, the three pairs of examples here where in once case the Latin and Cyrillic strings are visually identical, and therefore they qualify as variants across scripts. In the case of Chinese, there are simplified versus traditional Chinese strings which are considered as variants by the local script community. And in the case of Arabic script, the two strings even though distinct visually as well as technically, they are considered the same because they are just different writing conventions for the same letters in different geographical regions.

---

So the concept of variant labels is applicable to both gTLDs and ccTLDs, but it is not clear how to apply it or it was at least not clear how to apply it. Therefore initial policies on IDN TLDs reflected this gap and both ccTLDs and gTLDs actually had a placeholder in their policies. So in the initial fast track process there was a placeholder for variants, and also in the initial policy for new gTLDs there was a placeholder for variants where they were asked to be addressed. But of course, there was just not enough information on how to address it and it was said that they will be addressed in the future.

So based on this the work actually started by the Board, and some initial studies indicated that there are two gaps which need to be addressed. First, that there is no definition of variants. And then other is that even if we now what variant TLDs are or what the definition is, we don't really have a management mechanism for them.

So those are some of things which the community has been working on. We've used root zone LGR to define the variants. And then there was some work on IDN variant TLDs by the staff which was shared by the Board with ccNSO and GNSO to consider variant management mechanisms.

I'm not going to go through the rest of the presentation as we're running out of time. But those recommendations have been considered by the GNSO SubPro working group, and they've taken on some of those recommendations. There was some additional analysis and some other additional studies which were also taken up. And this particular group will obviously be looking at

---

---

work which builds on top of what SubPro has already done and add more details.

So again, we can go and talk about those in more detail later. But let me stop at this time and hand it back to Edmon. Thank you.

EDMON CHUNG:

Thank you, Sarmad, for timing this perfectly. Sorry for taking more time than expected in the earlier process. Any questions first? I know we're running out of time and people need to drop. Any questions for Sarmad? We will set aside a little bit more time for Sarmad to complete his introduction because I think it's really important for us to get ourselves to a same page as we start the process. But I know I'm running out of time, but any burning question just while your mind is fresh?

Seeing none, I guess a couple of things. For those in terms of preparation for next meeting, please do read through the documents as mentioned. And especially for the charter, the next meeting besides having Sarmad continue with the background and get us started, we will definitely get into the part where we would set forward our schedule for work.

Right now, looking at the charter I think it is quite nicely set out in terms of sequence. So we're almost going to go in the sequence of the charter with a couple of main items. Which is the same entity issue and then also how we deal with the root zone LGR and having that as the basic definition for variants. Those are two main principles that we will start off with. And then it flows into the number of items that we need to consider.

---

So please take a look at that. If that doesn't make sense for you, please be prepared to raise issues. If that makes sense to you, that's sort of the direction that we are looking to push forward on.

With that, I'm two minutes over the time and people are dropping off because of other commitments. If there are no burning questions, thank you so much for your time. Any last words that people want to jump in for? Seeing none, thank you so much.

I've overrun twice. I will try my best to make sure we don't do that again next time. But thank you so much for taking time and see you again in a week's time. And we're reconvening at 13:00 UTC as the time. And as we move forward when we have better visual on what the future in terms of leadership might be, we might have adjustment. For the time being, it's 13:00 UTC on the Wednesday. Thank you, everyone, and goodbye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPT]**