

**Single Letter Names Working Group (sl-wg) Teleconference  
TRANSCRIPTION  
April 17 2007 19:30 UTC,**

**Note:** The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Single Letter Names Working Group (sl-wg) Teleconference on April 17 2007 19:30 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at:

<http://gns0-audio.icann.org/sl-wg-20070417.mp3>

<http://gns0.icann.org/calendar/#apr>

Attendance:

Greg Shatan - IPC chair  
Neal Blair - CBUC  
Marilyn Cade - CBUC  
Alistair Dixon - CBUC  
Mike Rodenbaugh - CBUC  
Jon Nevett - Registrar c.  
Avri Doria - Nominating Committee appointee to the GNSO Council

ICANN Staff:

Patrick Jones - Registry Liaison Manager Glen de Saint G ry - Secretariat

Meeting Summary by Marilyn Cade:

**Rough notes taken by Marilyn Cade/do not replace transcript or MP3 Recording**

Action Items:

Neal to confirm Bellovin for a call on Monday/or some suitable date/given limitations of time available

Marilyn: publish draft questions : see last page 5-6 of this document

Patrick: to take lead on IGN issues

Greg: Group advised may have to have multiple working calls each week/very short time frame.

Understand that will have need to outline future work. Consider face to face as possibility if includes technical resources.

Need to have two calls at minimum next week: one on technical consultation; second to address next areas of outline of work. Will work to Monday, Tuesday, schedule. Monday's call may be late for Europe due to Bellovin availability. Will try to do mid pm. EST US Tuesday, to avoid making too late for European members.

-

=====  
=====

Call summary:

Call 4/17/

1. Attendance: everyone except Victoria is confirmed to be on the call. No one has heard that she won't be on the call. Started about 10 minutes late.
2. Greg: Request to have this transcribed. Confirmed by Glen that is happening.
3. Greg: thanks for opportunity to be chair. Believes doesn't have baggage about outcomes. Use time allocated; get to finish line on certain issues; propose a course of action in those that can't be resolved within the 30 days.
4. Neal: support these ideas.
5. Patrick: pretty good base from earlier work. Look to that.
6. Marilyn: keep in mind who the audience is so that we can get buy in.
7. Greg: Break things open/not calcified.

8. Marilyn: Needs clarification. The WG supported several decisions, where there was a minority view, but not supported by the WG, nor the GNSO Council. Shouldn't start over and rethink all these decisions.
9. Avri: two viewpoints: not minority or majority. Complicated. Some need more work. But some are left dangling ... more work. Look for consensus.
10. Greg: agrees
11. Patrick: useful: example: further work on single character TLDs/IDNs: doing further outreach. Single and two characters in IDNs are an example of more work.
  
12. Greg: more discussion at higher level. Different layers need to be identified. Numbers. Letters. Not in same order. Select a few to discuss on this call.
  
13. Marilyn: Is chair using "3 " as the outline?
  
14. Greg: confirms.
  
15. Greg: a: consult further with IDN experts regarding single and two character IDN names including the definition of 'character' as it related to nom roman scripts.
16. Top level and second level:
  
17. Patrick: recommendation: top and second level; recommended further work.
18. Have tried to collect work, including coming up with a definition.
  
19. Patrick : will take lead/others will join him.
20. thinks that framework for definition has been done, see Monday's call.
21. Tina /Patrick started process. Patrick will draft/and circulate.
22. Marilyn raised question about being broader/including Ram/Cary, etc.
23. Subgroup will determine further follow-up/method suitable to move quickly...

24. Agreed that should consider experts like Tina/Ram/Cary, others, as suitable..
25. Patrick: 3c: come up with a definition for character. Give to GAC. Then present to new gTLD TF for its final report.
26. Greg: verified that the IDN WG definition /consistent/taken into consideration/let's just be sure that there is one/rely on Patrick to verify that there is consistency.
27. Alistair: IDN Wiki could be consulted.
28. Patrick: verifies that WIKI is a good base/will expand on this.
29. Marilyn: Confirming that 3a and 3c are going to be led by Patrick/Chair confirmed.
30. Alistair: GAC views? Identified certain categories that considered a need to involve countries – geographic names. To extent are IDN country names, not just country codes as areas of interest. ...
31. Mike Rodenbaugh: nothing relevant to this sub group.
32. Patrick: actually, Cary and Chuck mentioned two character Chinese scripts/think about it.does seem to have some relevance.
33. Mike R: Come up with list of questions. [didn't specify whether he was drafting questions].
34. Avri: don't know how much detailed guidance trying to get from GAC. Some guidance on IDNs. Read. Negotiate very carefully over words. In sense read it ,and understand it, and use it... take principles; think through them, how to apply....Working group, Council, then Board, get a chance to match with

understanding. Can't tell us...definitely...of what the GAC is looking for in all instances.

35. New topic: 3.B.

36. Greg: consult further with experts in the technical community regarding single letter ASCII

37. Marilyn: Describes some possible experts. Listed some names....

38. Mike Rodenbaugh: Wants to see more experts. Has ideas. Thinks that those involved have not 'done their jobs'. Has other expert names to contribute.

39. Greg: should consider putting written questions/background what has been asked. Seek divergent panel for call, if possible, but if unwieldy – then use other mechanisms, such as written questions, etc. etc.

40. Mike Rodenbaugh: Suggesting other experts: Edmund Chung, Bruce Tonkin. Not clear whether Edmund is IDN or ASCII expert. Mike will clarify. . Bruce is GNSO Council.

41. Note: in past, Bruce was invited to act as expert and declined, since he was chairing GNSO. Could be invited again if sub group wants to override earlier answer. MSC: Tonkin has recently been elected to ICANN Board. May feel need to recluse self on issues that will come before the Board in his tenure.

42. MSC suggested leading technologists: Falstrom, Crocker, Chapin, Bellovin, Mohan, [Klensin], [David Conrad] [ denote it is not clear that there is availability].

43. Examples of questions: what limits exist that would limit the release of these names. Are there technical issues at both top level and second level? Is there an interaction between the two, so that names can't be allocated at top level if also allocated at second level – e.g. numbers in various sequences? Is there a technical concern if there is a a. a; a.x; 1.0; 111.0, etc.

44. Are there other reasons that should be considered? Are there interactions that are not apparent that present challenges due to legacy software, such as the problems encountered by the more than 3 letter new gTLDs, such as travel, .museum; .info.

45. Alistair: to the extent, consequences manageable?

46. Marilyn: ask questions about numbers?

47. Patrick: 3M.com or 888.com, but not a technical issue?

48. Examples?

49. Avri: different case for tld? What about IPv6?

50. Marilyn: Falstrom always a noted expert to ask questions related to IPv6, and other issues.. will reach out to him again.

51. Marilyn/type up and send out to group. Welcomes questions from members/

52. Greg: circulate list of experts/questions: how to proceed?

53. Marilyn: propose a conference call?

54. Greg: face to face meeting? Conference call? Questions?

55. Marilyn: Are all 6 categories low hanging fruit?

56. Greg: some

57. Alistair: preliminary conclusions: second level: fewer issues than top level.

58. Existence like 3M, X.com,

59. Higher are numbers and single letters at top levels

60. Mike: ask for verification. Ackn single letters/2 letters at the second level, numbers, etc.

61. Alistair: conf, call: discuss issues. Some only via email.

62. Neal: look up the dates from Bellovin and start from there.

63. Mike: expert: Mark McFadden.

64. Marilyn:

65. Neal: Times:

66. Monday: all day in 1 and

67. 11

68. 3

69. 4:30 XXXX

70. Tuesday  
71. 2:30 pm  
72. Wed  
73. 45 for 1 :15

74. Thursday  
75. 11  
76. 2:30 p.m. XXXX  
77. Friday:

78. List of questions needed:

79. Avri: better can explain the question we are asking in detail.

80. Neal: confirmation with Bellovin  
81. Marilyn: questions/draft

82. Greg: high level is best

83. Meet 2-3-4 p.m. timeframes

84. Greg: meet Tuesday: 3:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.

85. Experts: be transcribed:  
86. Verizon/service: will use that.



87. Call was disconnected .....

88. Marilyn: draft questions:

89. List of technical experts mentioned to send the questions to:

90. Steve Bellovin – Neal working to confirm for Monday

=====

91. Examples of questions:

92. The RN WG made several recommendations about the sub categories of single and two characters at top and second level; and numbers at top level and second level, as well as two letters at top level/second level. [see final report to GNSO Council : link: ]

93. Page 2, Brief table of recommendations of ASCII and selected IDN reserved names.

94. Questions: Single and two characters has been broken down into three sub categories:

- Ø Letters: Top Level: more work. Second level: release, contingent upon creation of suitable allocation mechanism
- Ø Numbers: Top Level: more work, concern for technical issues
- Ø Symbols: maintain reservations

...more recommendations on page 2 and 3/ see actual tables for complete recommendations.

95. Possible questions: Are there technical issues at both top level and second level? Is there an interaction between the two, so that names can't be allocated at top level if also allocated at second level – e.g. numbers in various sequences? there a technical concern if there is a a. a; a.x; 1.0; 111.0, etc.
  
96. Are there other reasons that should be considered? Are there interactions that are not apparent that present challenges due to legacy software, such as the problems encountered by the more than 3 letter new gTLDs, such as travel, .museum; .info.
  
97. Are there concerns about single characters, whether numbers, letters, or symbols at top level?
  
98. If there are unknowns, and that is justifying continuing a reservation, are there ways to identify what research or additional work is needed to change the reservation status? Are there suggestions for how to do that research? What process could be followed to present independent research – to whom would it be presented? The SSAC? Or some other entity at ICANN?
  
99. When these questions are identified, to what extent are the consequences manageable?
  
100. Is there a rationale that suggests that names should be released and allocated, unless there is a well documented technical issue, or is the identification of a concern by several highly trusted technical resources sufficient to continue reserved status? In that case, is there a process to then unreserve these names, and allocate them?

101. Is allocation a key concern to the community regarding some names, not just technical interactions, e.g. since there are only 27 ASCII letters, or certain numbers that have higher 'identity', such as "one", or 1, or ten, or 100, etc. are there other prevailing concerns about misuse of names that need to be understood and addressed?

102. Questions about numbers? Do numbers have challenges at top level, or at second level? Can a pair of single letter and single number, such as .3M, be allocated? Are there other issues about numbers at the top level, and restrictions when numbers are registered at all levels, e.g. 11.000.22222.10, where .10 is the top level; 22222 is the second level, and 000 is the third level, is there an issue of the allocation mechanism mirrored the IP addressing scheme for IPv4 ?

103. Are there different questions for categories for what should be reserved for not mirroring IPv6?

104. Suggested experts:

Lyman Chapin

Patrik Fältström

Steve Crocker \*\*

Steve Bellovin \*\*\*

Bruce Tonkin\*

Ram Mohan

Mark McFadden\*

\* to be invited in writing \*\* has declined due to time limitations \*\*\*has agreed

105. Other noted experts: not necessarily being contacted

[John Klensin]

[Dave Conrad]

***Rough draft notes provided by Marilyn Cade, member of the sub group, and subject to formal documentation, such as the MP3 recording, and the resulting transcripts. This is not edited, but is a sort of free blog of the discussion; done online, so may have both typos and even translation issues. Not intended as official transcript.***

### **Beginning of Transcription**

Coordinator: Alistair Dixon joins.

Alistair Dixon: Hello?

Neal Blair: Hello Alistair.

Alistair Dixon: Hi.

Neal Blair: This is Neal.

Alistair Dixon: Howdy Neal?

Neal Blair: I think Patrick's on.

Patrick Jones: I'm on, and Marilyn went to grab some coffee.

Alistair Dixon: So I see that, huh?

Howdy Patrick?

Man: Yeah.

Man: (Unintelligible).

Coordinator: Greg Shatan joins.

Greg Shatan: Hi. It's Greg Shatan.

Alistair Dixon: Hi Greg. It's Alistair Dixon here.

Greg Shatan: Hi Alistair. Thanks for joining us.

Neal Blair: And Neal Blair here, Greg.

((Crosstalk))

Greg Shatan: I know.

Patrick Jones: Greg, I'm on the call, Patrick Jones.

Greg Shatan: Hi Patrick.

Coordinator: Excuse me. Mr. Mike Rodenbaugh has joined.

Greg Shatan: Hi Mike. It's Greg Shatan.

Mike Rodenbaugh: Greg, hi. How are you?

Greg Shatan: Good. We have Alistair and Neal and Patrick so far.

Mike Rodenbaugh: Great.

Patrick Jones: And Marilyn is grabbing a cup of coffee.

Coordinator: Avri Doria joins.

Avri Doria: Hello?

Mike Rodenbaugh: Hi Avri.

Greg Shatan: Hi Avri.

Avri Doria: Hi.

Alistair Dixon: Hi Avri.

Patrick Jones: Hi Avri.

Avri Doria: Hello.

Greg Shatan: And we'll give her a couple of more minutes here.

Marilyn Cade: I'm back.

Greg Shatan: Hi Marilyn.

Marilyn Cade: Hi.

Greg Shatan: So I think we're only waiting for Victoria McEvedy and Jonathan Nevett.

Coordinator: Jon Nevett joins.

Marilyn Cade: You must be magical. You mentioned his name and he shows up.

Greg Shatan: There you go.

Jon Nevett: Hello?

Greg Shatan: Hi Jon. It's Greg Shatan.

Welcome to the call.

Jon Nevett: Thank you, Greg.

Greg Shatan: So far we have Alistair Dixon, Neal Blair, Patrick Jones, Mike Rodenbaugh, Avri Doria, Marilyn Cade and have I missed anybody?

Neal Blair: I think we're only missing Victoria.

Greg Shatan: Yes.

Marilyn Cade: Now, are we going to have - I'm not going to have Glen on the call, right?

Greg Shatan: (At) here is not that we have neither Glen nor Liz.

Marilyn Cade: So...

Greg Shatan: (Not) on this call.

Marilyn Cade: So - okay. So we should probably figure out - and this isn't being transcribed either?

Greg Shatan: It is not.

Marilyn Cade: So we should probably figure out how we want to take notes, and I'm quick - I can't find my glasses so I couldn't possibly volunteer to do it.

Neal Blair: Uh-huh.

Marilyn Cade: Oh, that was clever.

Greg Shatan: And I'm chairing, so I couldn't possibly do it.

Avri Doria: And I'm driving.

Marilyn Cade: What's going on and on here?

All right. I have to find my glasses.

All right. I'll try to find my glasses.



Greg Shatan: Just don't take notes in French just (as it is) here.

Marilyn Cade: Not to worry. It's something I have to work on.

When you can't even order food you like because, you know, it's kind to get motivated, right, and then language.

Let me - I'll open a Word document here and see if I can do some note taking, and then people can look at it. And it's probably going to be, you know, kind of a transcript.

Coordinator: Excuse me. This is the conference coordinator.

I just wanted to let all parties know that the call is being recorded.

Thank you.

You may (continue).

Marilyn Cade: Oh good.

Greg Shatan: We are now being recorded.

Marilyn Cade: Greg, that's good.

Greg, you need to ask Glen to have it turned into the low-cost transcript that they do.

Greg Shatan: I will do so.

Marilyn Cade: And I'll take some notes, but that would be great because there's a little bit of a delay in turnaround.

Greg Shatan: Yes.

Neal Blair: You know, we can at least have the MP3 posted on the subgroup -- in the workgroup.

Marilyn Cade: We can. But...

Greg Shatan: We'll do all of the above, if it (actually) pleases.

Marilyn Cade: I'm just going to make my personal comment about MP3s.

If I have (Tom) to be on the call, I...

Mike Rodenbaugh: Yes.

Greg Shatan: That's true. Although it is a useful time-shifting device, it is not a useful time-saving device.

Marilyn Cade: So anyway - so you want to get started?

Greg Shatan: We might as well begin. I think we have everyone but Victoria McEvedy.

So this is a call of the single letter and two-letter names subcommittee of the Reserved Name Working Group.

Glen Desaintgery: Sorry, it's Glen. I've just joined. I was late.

Greg Shatan: Hi Glen. Welcome.

Glen Desaintgery: Hi.

Marilyn Cade: Hi Glen.

Greg Shatan: A couple of things. We would like to have - this is being recorded, and we would like to get this transcribed through the low-cost method.

Glen Desaintgery: It is being transcribed.

Greg Shatan: Great.

Marilyn Cade: And Glen...

Glen Desaintgery: It was (sent) as the other calls are transcribed.

Greg Shatan: Excellent. And if possible to post the MP3 in the interim, that would be helpful to some.

Glen Desaintgery: I'll post it immediately after the meeting.

Greg Shatan: Perfect.

Marilyn Cade: Glen?

Glen Desaintgery: And just - mine will just have the (first bit) lift off, but the one on the (way pack) will be complete.

But after - I need to post it tomorrow.

Greg Shatan: No problem.

Marilyn Cade: Glen?

Glen Desaintgery: Yes?

Greg Shatan: First step wasn't that exciting anyway.

Marilyn Cade: Yeah. It's Marilyn.

I'm just going to take some rough notes, which I'll then just - I think probably send to you and to Greg, as - but since this is more formal record that's being taken.

Glen Desaintgery: Thank you very much, Marilyn. I do appreciate that.

Greg Shatan: Oh. Why don't we begin?

First off, I want to thank you all for letting me be your chair since I'm somewhat new to this group.

Although I was following this, the issues that face this subgroup as I was working away on the now, out of scope, reserved names at the third level. And I thought that it would be - since I don't come to this with, you know, a lot of pre-conceived notions or baggage, at least I don't think I do.

I think I can be helpful in trying to sort out where we stand and what we can do, and what we can't do in the time that's allotted to us and try to make some more meaningful recommendations, and try to perhaps get to the finish line on certain issues and plot a course of action beyond the 30 days.

So those things where the finish line may not be reached so quickly, so I don't want to monopolize the discussion, and I'd like to hear what people think are the significant issues we need to face.

And then we can kind of go through the list that I think Patrick circulated, which was a cutout of the statement of work for the subgroup.

Neal Blair: Yeah. It's pretty good to me.

Marilyn Cade: I support that. It's Marilyn speaking.

I think that if we can identify the work, we can get done in the remaining time of our 30 days, but then focus on what's the larger - longer course of action. That's probably the most useful thing we can do.

Greg Shatan: On the other hand, I do not want to be prejudice yet about what are the things we can get done in 30 days.

Marilyn Cade: Oh sure.

Greg Shatan: So we should - I think we need to identify those and discuss them, and perhaps why they can or can't be so that we can, you know, agree or

at least have, you know, a rough consensus with this active group. Any consensus is going to be rough.

Marilyn Cade: Yeah. Greg, it's Marilyn again.

I'm just going to finish my comment by saying that I think one of the important things that we need to remember is that we're not just talking to ourselves. We are talking to the council. We're talking to the community. And ultimately, we're talking to the board.

And so I think we need to keep in mind what we can sell and how we sell it, and remember who the parties are that have to agree with us as we go through this.

Patrick Jones: This is Patrick.

I can just add that we've got a pretty good base to begin with from the report that was distributed before Lisbon.

Greg Shatan: Absolutely.

I don't (unintelligible). Sorry?

Alistair Dixon: No, no. That's fine. (Unintelligible)

Greg Shatan: I said, I don't (feel) this that was trying to start from scratch. Although at some extent, those things got a little calcified. We might want to try to break them open again and look at them with a little bit of a fresh eye, and I may be the freshest eye and they also be the least (tutor) eye here.

But I think that, you know, as I said earlier, may have some value to it.

Marilyn Cade: Greg, I'm - it's Marilyn.

I need to better understand that. I don't really believe that our charter is to break things open.

Greg Shatan: Well, it's more in the sense that we, you know, concluded that there were further - there was further work to be done on a number of different things.

Marilyn Cade: Uh-huh.

Greg Shatan: But I think that there was either some, you know, strongly held views on both sides that were kind of compromised by saying the further work needed to be done.

So I don't mean that we need to, you know, completely, you know, overrule things up to the extent that that was a more of a placeholder than a true conclusion.

And I think as if within our scope to try to replace the further work was something more useful.

Marilyn Cade: I think we need to be - it's Marilyn speaking.

I think we need to be careful not to confuse a minority opinion with the justification for reopening and opinion. Otherwise, we're going to be really bugged down in this remaining time.

It's clear that always that individual or a constituency or a sector may have a minority opinion that needs to be put forward.

But if the working group broadly supported a recommendation, we should not be going into this in revisiting that. And I would really suggest that my understanding of the charter from the council does not include reopening things.

It allows for a continued putting forward as a minority opinion, but it doesn't - I don't see how we justify starting over when the working group made a particular recommendation. And I just - I need to understand what your - maybe you should give us an example.

Greg Shatan: I agree. And that's not...

Avri Doria: Can I comment?

Greg Shatan: I'm not be clear. Please do.

Avri Doria: Can I comment?

Marilyn Cade: (Go on), Avri.

Avri Doria: Yeah. Yeah. I mean, I would think that there is somewhere a position between the two that I've been hearing.

I think that there were things that were just sort of we didn't do the extra work one needs to do to try and find the consensus point. We just sort of said basically we have two of your points.



Sometimes, you know, neither a majority nor a minority will really clearly delineate it. And we said, it was complicated, you know, it needs more work.

There were some things that were decided and I agree that those things that were indeed decided should probably not be reopened unless it's an implication in something else that we do.

But there were things that were basically less dangling and the (Rubrick) we said was more work. And I think that that more work is towards trying to find the consensus point.

Greg Shatan: Thank you. That's very helpful.

And I really was the first instance of the two instances that you mentioned, Avri, that I'm looking at trying to move forward.

Patrick Jones: Greg, here's an example.

In some of the recommendations, we had further work on the subgroup of one character IDN TLDs including outreach experts.

So, between Lisbon and I guess today, I've been doing some outreach with linguistic experts and also within the IDN community on getting some kind of a response that might be able to help the working group as a whole and particularly, this subgroup on single and two characters in the IDN space.

So, I guess, I'm jumping ahead a little bit. But if you want to talk about that, we can.

Greg Shatan: Absolutely.

Marilyn Cade: And I think that's an expert example. It's Marilyn speaking.

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't hearing that we were going to - because we had one member or two members who disagreed with the working group that we were going to start over on those other issues because we had some work to do in the areas like Patrick have just identified.

Greg Shatan: Well, I think what we should do is - I guess, we can have a little more discussion kind of at a higher level.

And when I think we need to break into some of the individual areas in a sense we have, this is kind of like six committees in one since we have various combinations of levels and ASCII and IDNs and letters and numbers, and numbers and letters, and numbers and numbers. And each of them implicate different things -- some of them technical, some of them not.

And I think that it would be helpful to - first off, I don't think we should go in the same order each time so that we can - I make sure that things get, you know, an equal (airing) while we can.

And then try to, you know, select a few on - to discuss on this call. So, are there, you know, further thoughts on kind of the general work of this sub-committee?

Marilyn Cade: So, Greg, it's Marilyn.

Are you - if when we're working then by an outline of our work being in the overall draft statement of work from it's 3 to the end of this 3 -- single and two-character reserved names.

Greg Shatan: Right.

Marilyn Cade: So, do you want to just start at a high level to walk through A through G, and see if there's any comments or enhancements?

Greg Shatan: I think that's a good suggestion we can see.

I'll just read this out as the overall heading is Single and Two-Character Reserved Names Expanded Subgroup or Subgroups.

A, consult further with IDN experts regarding single and two-character IDN names including definition of the term "character" as it relates to non-roman scripts.

Marilyn Cade: So, maybe we - as we talk about this week and do two things -- identify what we know about now, what we think we've done, and identify what the next work is, and fourth, who the responsible parties are to make something happen.

Greg Shatan: Yes. And we need sub, you know, each of these sub-sections need an owner. And why don't we begin by summarizing - where we, you know, currently stand on these single and two-character IDN names?

And I guess this - for me, one thing I need to understand here is whether we're talking about IDN names both in the top level and the second level or are we only talking about it one of the two levels. And I'll put the third level as high since that A, out of scope and B, it will tend to follow the second level.

Patrick Jones: Well, Greg, this is Patrick.

And the recommendation says we're talking about it at both the top and the second level.

Greg Shatan: Okay.

Patrick Jones: And that we recommended further work.

Greg Shatan: Right, for both levels.

Patrick Jones: So, you know, that's where we are at both levels.

Now, I guess, I have sort of jumped ahead in this category and I've been trying to collect some work including coming up with the definition since before Lisbon. And I've got a lot on it already.

Greg Shatan: Patrick, you're sounding a lot like the owner of this (sub-part).

Patrick Jones: That's quite all right.

Marilyn Cade: So, can I just - in my notes, note that Patrick and Greg agreed that Patrick will take the lead off this. We got us and whoever else works with it.

Greg Shatan: Unless anybody else has another view, I think that's a good view.

Marilyn Cade: And so we can just say Patrick will take lead. Others will join him.

Greg Shatan: That work for everybody or not work for anybody?

Man: That sounds good to me.

Greg Shatan: Okay. That sounds good as well.

Marilyn Cade: So, can I - so I have a specific question, Patrick?

In outreach to IDN experts, it's one of the things that you're proposing to do?

Patrick Jones: One thing that's already been done.

Marilyn Cade: I just want to challenge that for just a minute. It's already been done between you and IDN...

Patrick Jones: It's been done initially through me.

But if you listen to Monday's call between the GAC and the GNSO Council, there was some discussion of this point as well.

Marilyn Cade: Uh-huh.

Patrick Jones: So, probably what I could start with doing is taking a note that on this particular question that came out in that call and putting them in an

email that get send around to everyone as well as summarizing the - what has been done so far with the outreach experts.

Marilyn Cade: Okay. I'm going to kind of - I was on that call because I'm on the task force.

I thought actually that what we would need to do is that this subgroup should have at least an informative call with a couple of IDN experts, so that broadly the subgroup is able to support the recommendation.

Patrick Jones: And Tina and I have already had some initial discussions with Cary Karp about...

Marilyn Cade: Uh-huh.

Patrick Jones: ...with particular questions.

Marilyn Cade: And that's a great start. I think so we probably would want to have at least offer an informative call for the rest of the subgroup members and not the working group with other people, including Ram.

Patrick Jones: Of course.

Marilyn Cade: Because Cary is a great asset, but there's a number of other perspective that we probably want to make sure that the subgroup is familiar with.

So, you and Tina - so I'm just capturing - Tina and Patrick have started the process?

Patrick Jones: Yes.

Marilyn Cade: And so, if they're reasonable to do since it says, consult further with IDN experts. Is it reasonable to do to suggest a - offering an informative conference call with people like Ram, Cary, Tina as experts?

Greg Shatan: Well, we could have that. But why don't I first come up with something that the subgroup can review?

Marilyn Cade: Oh great.

Patrick Jones: There are questions because I think I'm pretty close to having something that people couldn't do.

Greg Shatan: That's great.

Marilyn Cade: So, I'm just - Patrick will draft, right?

Patrick Jones: We'll draft and may have already drafted.

Greg Shatan: And we'll circulate it.

Patrick Jones: And we'll circulate.

Marilyn Cade: Good. And then, the subgroup will quickly determine whether there is a need for a further call. Is that okay?

Patrick Jones: Yeah.

Greg Shatan: Or we can figure out if there is an alternative method of communicating for instance.

Marilyn Cade: Right, like email.

Greg Shatan: Email or, you know, a question and answer or...

Marilyn Cade: Right.

Greg Shatan: ...some sort of things. And then also determine whether in the rather fluid area of IDNs, we have kind of the major - the thought, you know, camps identified and represented if that's necessary...

Marilyn Cade: Right.

Greg Shatan: ...or to the extent that's necessary.

Patrick Jones: Jumping ahead to 3C quickly, from what I view is, if we're able to come up with a definition of a character, that's reasonably accepted that we would then be able to give that to the GAC and the CC and so with the short time frame for them to make any comments on that definition.

And then, we'll have a complete definition that could be used by the New gTLD task force for its final report.

Greg Shatan: That would certainly, you know, it seems to be helpful.

I guess, a question of information for me. Is there - and maybe for others are, is the IDN working group or others also working on a



definition of character or has there been one or more or maybe a number floating around out there?

Patrick Jones: There are some definitions but it's not a complete definition, but it's some starting point that I've already collected.

Greg Shatan: So you've collected those and you're kind of trying to build upon those just to get a better more complete and perhaps hopefully, even a consensus definition of a character...

Patrick Jones: That's right.

Greg Shatan: ...(hesitating) as a consensus.

Alistair Dixon: There is an IDN and what key that was created by the working group that may actually have a definition of character for IDN (unintelligible) already.

I think that IDN (dot) - if it's (wit.ph) or something like that.

Marilyn Cade: And can I just ask - it's Marilyn.

The IDN working group is continuing domain.

Patrick Jones: No, it's closed.

Marilyn Cade: That's what I thought. I just want to be sure since I was on it, but I wasn't continuing to participate. Okay.

Greg Shatan: You just have to make sure that it wasn't just that you weren't being invited.

Marilyn Cade: Hey.

Alistair Dixon: Well, if you're not being invited, Marilyn, I'm not.

Marilyn Cade: We'll have a different party, okay.

And so the idea in Wiki could also be consulted. I got that, okay.

So, Greg, just to go back that you pointed to verify that the IDN working group definition would be consistent with the...

Greg Shatan: Or at least taken into consideration...

Marilyn Cade: Right.

Greg Shatan: ...and consider whether it's consistent as to some extent.

Marilyn Cade: I...

Greg Shatan: Yeah. A question I would hope that it could be consistent or if we weren't going to be consistent, we had good reasons to do so since whatever we do and...

Marilyn Cade: I'm not sure.

Yeah. I want to ask this question. I'm going to call the question here and it's Marilyn speaking.

I'm not sure we could drop the IDN working group on...

Greg Shatan: Exactly.

Marilyn Cade: Yeah. Okay. I just wanted to verify that.

Greg Shatan: Yeah. On the other hand, I'm not a big one for received wisdom where it has - where it seems to be trouble. But I'm not - I don't want the IDN working group definition of characters.

So, I'm going to assume it's a good one and maybe one we can adopt. But what Patrick, you know, push his work forward and out to the rest of us and we can look at that.

Marilyn Cade: And so what I've done is just say we're going to rely on Patrick to verify that there is consistency.

Patrick Jones: And I have now looked at the IDN Wiki from the working group, and the definition they have. I've already have a copy of - I'm using that same basis, but we need to build on it.

Greg Shatan: Right. So...

Patrick Jones: I have what they include as a definition.

Greg Shatan: So it's good as far as it goes. But it needs - you need to dig deeper.

Patrick Jones: It needs a bit of (expense).

Marilyn Cade: Okay. Got that. Okay?

So, you just took care of 3A and 3C. You got to be keep going at this rate, I can go to bed soon?

Greg Shatan: I can as well and it's only four o'clock.

So I think, Patrick, is there anything further on the IDN names issues? There are 3A and C, which you are now in-charge of.

Patrick Jones: That's all I've done so far and I leave it to someone else to pick up another category.

Alistair Dixon: Can I just ask - I wasn't aware that the GAC had actually (write) issues in relation to single and to go your IDN names.

Marilyn Cade: At an extremely high level, Alistair, I would say it was - we did not discussed it in any detail.

And the GAC and TRAC told us that they (reserve), you know, they haven't actually developed a policy principle -- a public policy principles. They've announced they're going to. So, it was more a placeholder I think, Patrick, for my being on the call?

Patrick Jones: Yeah. And from what I heard, they need more time to consider these questions, and they thought they were good questions but we're probably not going to get any answer from them before (same one).

Alistair Dixon: I mean, the only thing that I can think of what, you know, they may - they identified certain categories where they considered that there was

(in these) process to involve countries and make those things like geographic names - those sorts of areas.

So, to the extent they - one and two-character IDN name and that might be, you know, they might be interested in GAC. But I wasn't aware of any other names...

Marilyn Cade: Actually...

Alistair Dixon: ...that I could find as an interest.

Marilyn Cade: ...there was a - there were two or three interventions by Cary.

And I should just say for the recording, it's Marilyn, there were two or three interventions by Cary and noting whether the GAC had been making sure that languages which are non-country specific have a champion, and that's a very broad characterization that it's probably an accurate one.

And Bill Dee from the European Commission who's the GAC (repertoire) on this issue noting that the GAC's intent was to be sure that there was a champion that the view of the GAC is that people live somewhere. And therefore, it might be multiple governments, but there would still be an interest in the issue.

That's broader than just the characterization of the country, code name as an IDN or the country name as an IDN.

Greg Shatan: Right.

Alistair Dixon: I mean, as I've seen, I mean, I think they raised - it wasn't just a country name. But they identified as areas of interest to them.

Marilyn Cade: Right.

Alistair Dixon: I was just using that as an example...

Marilyn Cade: Oh god, it's okay.

((Crosstalk))

Alistair Dixon: ...other ones, I'm just assuming that.

Marilyn Cade: Well, we'll probably - Glen, are we getting a transcript of that GAC Council interaction?

Glen Desaintgery: Marilyn? Marilyn?

Marilyn Cade: Yes.

Glen Desaintgery: Sorry. Which transcript are you talking about?

Marilyn Cade: Are we getting a transcript at the GAC Council interaction?

Glen Desaintgery: It's on the Web site.

Marilyn Cade: Oh good. Well, we can all go back and refresh ourselves on it.

Glen Desaintgery: Yes. It's on the Web site already.

Mike Rodenbaugh: Greg, I was on that call and I'm quite sure, it didn't say anything well into this subgroup specifically, you know, single and two-character names. So I think you need to focus on that and what do we want to know from the GAC so that they can consider them up to and including their meeting (if they want).

Greg Shatan: No, Mike, I actually did and this question was asked by - I think it was Cary and Chuck brought up.

And Cary, I know, have mentioned two-character...

Mike Rodenbaugh: Right.

Greg Shatan: ...Chinese - that scripts as an example. And their answer was it's a good question we (think) about it.

Marilyn Cade: Right.

Mike Rodenbaugh: That's what I'm saying. We need to - what we need to do is come up with our - I meant that no - nothing substantive came out of that call, but we still need to do.

And what I see our work on this point is to come up with a list of questions that the GAC need to consider and hopefully give us guidance off (on that one).

Marilyn Cade: Can I just ask you guys to try to identify yourselves when you speak? I'm pretty (unintelligible) on voices, but I mean - in everybody.

Greg Shatan: Was that Mike Rodenbaugh just speaking?

Mike Rodenbaugh: Yes.

Marilyn Cade: Okay.

Avri Doria: Hi. Can I comment on that, at some point? This is Avri.

Greg Shatan: Avri, go ahead.

Avri Doria: Oh okay. I actually don't know how much detailed guidance we should be trying to get from the GAC.

I mean, the GAC will be giving, you know, further guidance on things like IDN, et cetera, and that should be (read).

They negotiate very carefully over their work. We saw from yesterday's meeting.

Marilyn Cade: Uh-huh.

Avri Doria: Well, one word is stronger than another one. And in a sense, they're telling us to go out. Go read it and understand it, and use these things.

And so I think as long as we take their principles, we think through them, we think how this is applied, how this is not applied to the best of our collective understanding. We are doing what we can with what they - with what advice they have given us.



And then others like the board, at - yeah, at the council, actually like the working group, then the council, then the board will also get a chance to match their interpretation with the GAC.

And at the end of it all, the GAC will be ought to say, yeah, you guys got it or no, I don't think you quite understood. But they can't tell us that a (priority).

I think they've told us pretty much what they can tell us, and that's why yesterday's meeting was relatively, you know, content-free because the words are what the words are and that's what we're going to get from them.

Marilyn Cade: Yeah. So, I think, Avri, if I could just summarize because I've been listening to the call, I really took away I think pretty much what you're saying, which is we got in a couple of cases actually, four, I've wrote them down.

We need to apply common sense. Common sense is not a shared definition necessarily, so as we work through this, we'll find out how close we are to shared common sense and how (unintelligible) away we are.

But, Greg, do you want to move on if we've assigned the work of A and C?

Greg Shatan: I think we have. So let's move on to B.

Consult further with experts in the technical community regarding single letter ASCII names, single-number ASCII names and two-character ASCII names involving at least one number.

I think here, first off, we'll try to identify an owner for this. I don't know if we have any volunteers or perhaps multiple volunteers for this one.

Marilyn Cade: Well, can I - before people volunteer, can I just talk a little bit about the outreach that's already been done and the pending outreach on consulting with the technical community?

Greg Shatan: Okay, Marilyn.

Marilyn Cade: So, for the record, it's Marilyn.

I had invited Steve Crocker, Patrick Falstrom and Lyman Chapin, to a technical consultation.

And separately - and Neal may want to speak to this.

Neal had asked Steve Bellovin who invented Firewall technology, former member the (IOD), former regional leader in IESG. So, someone who's really quite the tier of most of the technical parties to analyze the present - and work that's been done and provide a kind of an outline of what the unresolved questions may be from the technical communities effective.

And Bellovin's working on that, and I think he intends to have that, because I understand it, Neal, later today or tomorrow.

Man: Correct.

Marilyn Cade: So, that is also our task to do a conference call and we have some dates from him, and we can talk about that.

We have suggested to invite other technical parties to that call. (I've heard) back from Steve Crocker that his place is full and he doesn't think he can participate in a call.

But I haven't heard back from Patrick Falstrom, nor from Lyman and we can continue to pursue there.

Ram Mohan is another highly respected technical party in this space, not only on IDNs, but broadly on these issues.

So, it seems to me that it would be good for us to try to have a conference call and ask questions of respected technical parties, and give them a list of questions ahead of time. And then, make sure that we've identified the areas that we think are resolved or not resolved in each of these areas.

And I count them, I just want to be sure that I'm right about this.

I would count single letter ASCII at the top level and the second level as one and two, single number ASCII, top level second letter as three and four. And then, there's the issue of two-character ASCII names involving one number at the top level and the second level, and that would be five and six.

Is that - does the people think that's right?

Alistair Dixon: I think we have - right, Marilyn. Yeah.

Although I understood that there were actually some two-character ASCIIIs involving at least one number at the second level or in operation.

Greg Shatan: Okay.

Marilyn Cade: I think that maybe just as there are some single letter ASCII at the second level and operation.

Alistair Dixon: Yeah.

Greg Shatan: So (those) are the exception...

Mike Rodenbaugh: Yeah. The characters have never been reserved.

Marilyn Cade: I'm sorry, Mike.

Greg Shatan: Sorry, Mike?

Mike Rodenbaugh: Two characters within - involving one number or not, I mean, two characters at the second level are not reserved, right? Except for country codes?

Greg Shatan: I believe that is correct.

Marilyn Cade: So, I was just trying to get the categories down, so if we went to this technical - we'll go to the technical community. There's going to be a big blank space where Marilyn is speaking, but not recording.

But if we went to the technical community, we would say, okay, we want to talk to you about six sub-categories. And consistent with our earlier recommendations, and Patrick, you're going to need this (spot me) on this.

But consistent with our earlier recommendations, I think the subgroup acknowledged that treatment may be different at the top level and the second level, but we need to - we want to try to justify why the treatment is different and documented.

Patrick Jones: Right. Yeah.

Marilyn Cade: So, that I think lead me to propose a conference call with Bellovin and anyone else we can get to walk through this.

Mike Rodenbaugh: Yeah. I think also, Marilyn, I'd like to see exactly what you've asked or the other experts, and then follow up on that. I'll leave those experts where with other ones that we identified in the subgroup report or otherwise, maybe it's time to ask some other people.

But bottom line, we need to start getting some responses. We only have 30 days.

Marilyn Cade: Actually, we don't have 30 days.

Greg Shatan: We have like 20 days.

Mike Rodenbaugh: Yes, (exactly).

Greg Shatan: Which is even worst than having only 30 days.

Marilyn Cade: So...

Mike Rodenbaugh: Well, the fact that this work, you know, could have - should have been done in the earlier working group, and it just sort of didn't get done because I don't know why.

But the bottom line, it just seems like people are dragging their feet, so...

Marilyn Cade: Oh my...

Mike Rodenbaugh: ...that means got to get to the fire.

Greg Shatan: Rather than going over the past.

One of the reasons I took this job was because I didn't participate in the sub-committee. So, therefore, I'm as innocent as a new born babe, so I would prefer to look forward to what we can do...

Mike Rodenbaugh: Yeah.

Greg Shatan: ...rather than look backwards to what didn't happen.

Marilyn Cade: So I (think)...

Greg Shatan: I would say - I do think that we know we should consider - and putting together, you know, either questions or getting some background on what has already been asked and looking for a good then possibly divergent panel of experts that can either come together at the same time, or if that becomes unwilling be given the short time we have can be presented with the same questions or participate in some sort of threaded discussion where we can try to, you know, get more life from the technical experts.

Marilyn Cade: So, why don't we do this?

I've just thrown out some names. I have mentioned the feedback I've gotten from - so I've put out the name of Lyman Chapin, Steve Crocker, given the input on some (still) we got.

I mentioned Steve Bellovin who's confirmed. I haven't heard back (unintelligible) Falstrom or Ram Mohan.

But, Mike, do you have names to contribute that you could email to the rest of the group?

Mike Rodenbaugh: Yeah. They're in - there are some in our reports and there are others, which I have mentioned previously that, you know, I've talked to on this issue that could give us opinions as well -- Bruce Tonkin, Edmon Chung, others.

Marilyn Cade: Well, why don't you - is it okay to ask you to post those with contact information?

Mike Rodenbaugh: I think what we need to do is come up with a list of questions and also understand exactly what, who was contacted and when previously. And then decide on the list that people to send out this new list of questions.

Marilyn Cade: Actually, but we need you that very quickly, right?

Mike Rodenbaugh: Okay.

Marilyn Cade: So...

Greg Shatan: I don't (have) one - this is Greg.

I don't think that we (necessarily) to do one before the other. I do think, you know, obviously, the list can't be activated or the questions can't be activated until we decided what the list is.

But I wouldn't want to wait for the other to - one to end for the other one to begin.

Marilyn Cade: So, I think we've got a list of names. I mean, haven't we - I've mentioned a few. Mike's mentioned too.

There may be another one or two, Mike, that you want to go in there?

Greg Shatan: If there are anybody else, let's get them out on this call and then we can come up with a list of whoever owns this topic can circulate the list to the group.



So far, I've heard - I'll just do last names if you did that way -- Crocker, Falstrom, Chapin, Bellovin, Tonkin and Chung.

Marilyn Cade: Actually, let me go back.

So it's...

Alistair Dixon: And Mohan, I think was...

Greg Shatan: And Ram Mohan.

Marilyn Cade: Yeah. So, it's Chapin, Crocker, Bellovin, Falstrom, Mohan and then Chung and Tonkin. Is that right?

Greg Shatan: Yes. That's my notes.

Anybody else - and are there other names that have been...

Marilyn Cade: There is another...

Greg Shatan: ...and Cary Karp, was that...

Marilyn Cade: Cary is an...

Greg Shatan: He's only on IDN side.

Marilyn Cade: ...he's an IDN expert.

There is another very notable expert in this space, and I don't know if he's going to be available to spend anymore time on this. But that's John Klensin.

Greg Shatan: Can you spell that?

Marilyn Cade: K-L-E-N-S-I-N?

Greg Shatan: Okay.

Patrick Jones: Marilyn, this is Patrick.

And from what I understand, John was not interested in devoting any time so...

Marilyn Cade: Yeah. I think that's right.

So I think, you know, we need to just note him as an expert and realize that we may come back at some point to hear from him.

But, Patrick, do you have any - is there - I was thinking of (Tom Nordin) or - sorry, why can't I remember that? (Tom Nordin) and possibly the guy who is IANA?

Patrick Jones: David Conrad?

Marilyn Cade: David Conrad.

Why don't we try to find out whether he could provide comments?

Patrick Jones: That was - I know it was mentioned, but I don't know if anyone ever...

Marilyn Cade: Okay. I'm going to put Klensin and Conrad in square brackets.

The reason it matters is that has to do with root server interface. Otherwise, we're going to have to come up with somebody who is a root server expert.

So I got Chung, Tonkin -- I got quite a list here that you'll see in the - and in terms of thinking about the questions, can't we just send them the excerpt from the previous report and ask them for their views on whether a single letter -- the six categories can be released, what conditions have been (exist), and can they tell us what technical or other consequences need to be considered that would limit the release of these names?

Mike Rodenbaugh: Essentially, yup. I think that's exactly what we need.

Greg Shatan: I think those are the basic questions, aren't they?

Marilyn Cade: Okay.

Greg Shatan: I mean, they can be broken down into sub-questions, but those are basically - it's basically it.

Alistair Dixon: Is there (unintelligible) subsequent question of to the extent that there aren't any consequences? Are those consequences manageable?

Marilyn Cade: So, Alistair, that's a great question.

I'm just going to - it's Marilyn. I'll just note that one of the things that I noted in the research that I did, and Patrick, again, I may turn to you. And that is that then it may be difficult piece in allocating numbers at all levels because that may lead to confusion with some routing systems that what they're receiving is a IP address as opposed to a URL.

So, you know, hypothetically, one question might be, if it's feasible to allocate numbers at the top level, only when numbers are not allocated at the second level. And what are the characteristics of the groups of numbers that could be allocated at the top level and the second level?

So, you know, is it .111.11 or, you know, if there are some limitation about the number of numbers at each level that need to be prohibited. That might be one question?

Patrick Jones: Marilyn, this is Patrick.

I think we should try to see if they can answer if, you know, why is it possible for 3m.com or 888.com or some other combination of numbers at the second level, and now that's not a technical issue and expand that to other levels.

Marilyn Cade: But, Patrick, 3m.com and 888.com don't have numbers on both sides of the dot. So, I just want to be sure I'm understanding. That's not the same thing as 3M.777 or 888.111.

Patrick Jones: No, I understand.

Marilyn Cade: Okay. Okay. I just wanted to be sure I was grasping. Okay.

Avri Doria: Right. And there could be a very different case for that one at the TLD. I mean, I can't imagine that the software looks at anything, but the TLD position and see whether they're dealing with an (IPD4) address or not.

Marilyn Cade: Uh-huh.

Avri Doria: You don't know what they do about these six addresses with a colon. I don't know how that one behaves. I want to look into that just to see how they express (IPD6) address in a Web browser.

Marilyn Cade: And, you know, Avri, it may be that we just don't know yet.

Avri Doria: Oh, I'm sure that these six guys know.

Marilyn Cade: Oh, right. But I mean, we would have to - but Falstrom would be - just (want to be) thinking about Falstrom as a good person.

Avri Doria: Oh yeah. Patrick is always a good person.

Marilyn Cade: Regardless of the fact we got to ask some questions, right?

Avri Doria: Right.

Marilyn Cade: So, Greg, if you're looking for a volunteer to just talk this up and send it out to others, I'll do that.

Greg Shatan: Okay, Marilyn. That would be helpful, and start with that.

And clearly, others will be working on this, and I think we should - let's circulate the list of experts and the list of questions around as soon after this call is possible.

And then, I think the next question is how are we going to contact the experts or continue to contact and try to line them up for some form of communication, and we need to decide what that form of communication is going to be whether it's going to be a conference call, whether it's going to be question and response emails, whether it could even be a face-to-face meeting for at least, you know, some of us who wouldn't be too geographically inconvenienced to attend or, you know, some combination of the above.

I think we need someone who can kind of drive that process as well. So I don't know, Marilyn, if that can be you or if there's somebody else who wants to take that role or share that role with Marilyn.

Marilyn Cade: I'm more than happy to be part of it.

And, you know, my sense is let's get a list of questions. We've brainstormed some. I've previously sent a list of questions.

The problem that we face here is, you know, when you ask the technical community to give you - and I just take people back to a IDN call, Alistair, I think this was an IDN call where Ram and Cary both talked about single characters.

Alistair Dixon: Yeah.

Marilyn Cade: And very spontaneously, there was a fair amount of information exchange from two people who are quite expert in the IDN area.

But it's difficult to capture that and bring it into an environment where lay people are able to understand it.

So, you know, I think maybe we could do a conference call. We could send questions. We could do a conference call to discuss the questions. And maybe we need to try to figure out what the low-hanging fruit out of that stage. What's the low-hanging fruit out of this?

I just talked about six categories, Greg?

Greg Shatan: Right.

Marilyn Cade: Are all six categories low-hanging fruit?

Greg Shatan: Well, that's an open question. Although, it may turn out that some of them are less - hang higher than others.

((Crosstalk))

Alistair Dixon: I think we actually - we do have some preliminary conclusions on this...

Greg Shatan: Right.

Marilyn Cade: Okay.

Alistair Dixon: ...our original work.

I mean, it seems to me that at the second level, I (thought) - we had identified that there were actually fewer issues in the top level.

Greg Shatan: Yes.

Alistair Dixon: And we already have the existence of domains like 3M at the second level and - of the (x.com) and those sorts of things. But that one is being released.

So, it seems to me that the hanging fruit have probably - the high are probably numbers and the next part could be single letters at the top level.

That would be my hypothesis anyway.

Mike Rodenbaugh: I think that's another question we should ask folks about those as well as, you know, acknowledge that several single letters have been released.

In .com, six of them I think there are - are you aware of any technical issues arising out of those registries?

Greg Shatan: At the second level.

Mike Rodenbaugh: Yeah. Check that box off as well.

Greg Shatan: Okay.



Marilyn Cade: Okay. And then, Patrick, anything that comes to your mind that we missed?

Patrick Jones: None right now.

Marilyn Cade: Okay.

Alistair Dixon: Okay. I wouldn't certainly support having a conference call, but I think it's important to sort of discuss through the issues.

I think - I mean, some of these (man), it'd be a variable to contact by email. So if that's okay, that's fine. But I think it would preferable to have a conference call.

Patrick Jones: And if we are going to have a call, we should start to look at the calendar to see when we're going to squeeze this in.

Marilyn Cade: Okay. Neal, do you have - can you look at the dates that you got from Steve Bellovin?

Neal Blair: Yes. Yeah. I'll look it up while you're talking.

Marilyn Cade: Okay. Because I think you've got potential from him later this week and several hours next week. And maybe that's a place to start, and that would give, and then give everybody - okay, that's one expert.

And then we can go - if we get others on the same call, great. If we don't, we've got something to build on.

Greg Shatan: Right. I think that's good start. I agree.

Patrick Jones: Also, Marilyn, one other - potential expert for your list is Mark McFadden.

Marilyn Cade: I know Mark. Did he volunteer?

Patrick Jones: I - actually, he did.

Marilyn Cade: Oh good. Great.

((Crosstalk))

Patrick Jones: We've formalized that since we both have a beer in our hand when he did that.

Marilyn Cade: Oh my god. This is being recorded. I don't want that laugh to be recorded.

Greg Shatan: It was only a root beer, huh?

Marilyn Cade: It was even a root beer.

Okay. Great. I'll add him to the list.

Greg Shatan: Great. Could I have anything further on this topic?

Well, so, on this, we'll circulate a list of experts. We'll circulate starting with Steve Bellovin's time, a list of times and then a list of questions.

Neal Blair: Yeah. I have the time for his availability right now. Do you want me to give you that now or do you want me to circulate it?

Greg Shatan: Why don't you read it up now if there aren't too many of them?

Neal Blair: Okay. There are lots of them. I'll just try to make them simple.

This is all - this would all be Eastern Daylight Time. Okay, US Eastern Daylight Time.

Monday, he's available all during the day and for like in 1-1/2hour segment, one time starting at 11:00, another starting at 3:00, and another starting at 4:30 -- all that 1-1/2 hour segment.

Tuesday, one-hour segment starting at 3:00, a 45-minute segment starting at 4:30.

Marilyn Cade: I'm going to skip that Neal.

Neal Blair: Okay. Wednesday, one hour and 15 minutes starting at 4:00.

Thursday, 1-1/2 hour starting at 11:00, and then again at 2:30.

And Friday, all day except between 3:00 and 4:00 pm Eastern.

Marilyn Cade: Wow. So there's a lot to pick from.

Neal Blair: That's a lot to pick from.

I've tried to make it simple, but I've just laid it all out.

Marilyn Cade: Oh that's great.

We - you probably want to do it early in the week, don't you, Greg,  
because...

Greg Shatan: Yes, we should advance this as quickly as possible. So...

Marilyn Cade: Okay. So why don't we go back to him for - Monday is the 23rd.

I can do the 11:00 and the 4:30 slot. Eleven is too early for Alistair.  
Right, Alistair?

It really is.

Alistair Dixon: It probably is.

Greg Shatan: Yeah. That's...

((Crosstalk))

Alistair Dixon: Yeah. I mean, my preference is normally - if I again - yeah. The  
afternoon times are normally fine, Eastern time.

Marilyn Cade: So, on Monday we've got 3:00 and 4:30. I can't do 3:00. I could do  
4:30.

And on Tuesday...

Greg Shatan: Is 4:30 too late for our other European...

Marilyn Cade: That's 10:30 for the Europeans.

Greg Shatan: Four thirty would be 10:30 for Europe, for us?

Marilyn Cade: Uh-huh. So we have...

((Crosstalk))

Marilyn Cade: How many Europeans do we have?

Glen and Victoria?

Greg Shatan: Right.

Marilyn Cade: So we've got Tuesday at 2:30.

Greg Shatan: Two-thirty should be a good time.

Mike Rodenbaugh: Tuesdays, now, and 2:30 is not a good time because there's another working group call at...

Greg Shatan: Okay.

Avri Doria: Well, yeah.

Mike Rodenbaugh: ...two o'clock.

Marilyn Cade: Oh there is. Okay.

Greg Shatan: Oh well.

Marilyn Cade: Uh-huh.

Greg Shatan: Well, the 4:30 on Monday, well, it's not perfect, it's not bad. So...

Marilyn Cade: This is 4:30 you're talking at Eastern?

Greg Shatan: Eastern Daylight Time, 4:30, yeah, the April 23. So...

Marilyn Cade: Four-thirty.

So let us ask him about that is the first choice.

Avri Doria: That's the 1830 UTC...

Marilyn Cade: Yeah.

Avri Doria: ...is what we're saying.

Marilyn Cade: And for - and Neal, what do you have any available on - wait, we can't do Wednesday. Isn't Wednesday the day of the Reserved Name Working Group call itself?

Neal Blair: Yes.

Greg Shatan: Yes, in April 5.

Marilyn Cade: So on 2:30 on Tuesday, there's another call that begins at two. Is that - yeah.

Mike Rodenbaugh: Yes, it goes for at least an hour.

Avri Doria: That's why this one was at 3:30 today.

Marilyn Cade: Does it go for a dollar or more?

Mike Rodenbaugh: We can go for more, but usually around an hour.

Avri Doria: Yeah, hour and a half.

Marilyn Cade: Oh.

Greg Shatan: For a working group.

Avri Doria: Right. That's why - and today, we started this at 15:30 because of that one.

Marilyn Cade: Okay. That brings us to - there is - and Wednesday, there is only...

Neal Blair: I haven't heard any problems with the Monday, 4:30 Eastern.

Marilyn Cade: No, no. I - but I'm trying to give a backup time.

The backup time, Neal...

Avri Doria: They may not be one.

Marilyn Cade: They may not be one. Let's just see.

Neal, what's available Wednesday?

Neal Blair: I have 45 minutes between 4:00 pm and 5:15 pm Eastern daylight.

Marilyn Cade: I don't think we have to do that, okay.

What about Thursday?

Neal Blair: Thursday...

Marilyn Cade: Eleven and (fifteen)...

Neal Blair: One and a half hours. One starting at 11:00 and the other 1-1/2 starting at 2:30.

Marilyn Cade: Okay. Why don't we make Thursday the backup time?

Greg Shatan: The 2:30 one.

Marilyn Cade: Is that all right?

Avri Doria: Thursday, I'm trying to make Thursday afternoon.

Marilyn Cade: Yeah. The backup? Yup.

Avri Doria: I'm not in favor of that only because I'm trying to schedule something else in that time.

Marilyn Cade: Well, let's push for 4:30 on Monday.



Neal Blair: Yes, let's do that.

Greg Shatan: Let's all block this in our calendar...

((Crosstalk))

Greg Shatan: ...so we don't give it away to other people.

Marilyn Cade: Yeah, block that in.

And Neal, I'll talk to you later and we can email Bellovin and try to lock that in?

Neal Blair: Absolutely.

Marilyn Cade: And see if we can get McFadden at least and, you know, well, people can get anybody else. But let's at least start with Bellovin.

Neal Blair: Yeah. I'll try to lock in Bellovin while we're talking.

Marilyn Cade: Okay.

Neal Blair: I'll send him an email.

Avri Doria: One thing on the technical folks, the better we can explain the question we're asking beforehand an email, the better off in that, I think just the better presentation or Q&A will work.

Neal Blair: (Unintelligible).

Marilyn Cade: For Bellovin, he's been sent the working group report and asked him to...

Avri Doria: Oh yeah, yeah. No, I mean...

Marilyn Cade: Yeah. But the rest of them, yes.

Greg Shatan: Okay. So, we'll try to put that to get this, Marilyn, I can still circulate the questions and...

Marilyn Cade: I'll send you the questions, and, Neal, you'll circulate confirmation with Bellovin?

Neal Blair: Yes.

Marilyn Cade: Okay.

Neal Blair: I'm doing right now, trying to...

Greg Shatan: Okay.

Marilyn Cade: And everybody else will add in questions, right?

Mike Rodenbaugh: Just adding yours - I mean, we don't want to have a whole - we don't have too many questions.

Avri Doria: Okay.

Greg Shatan: We'll keep it at a - my suggestion is to keep it at a fairly high level...

Avri Doria: Okay.

Greg Shatan: ...and not too many sub-questions. Otherwise, it'll seem like 20 questions.

I unfortunately have to break off this call in about five minutes. I think that we've dealt with - the first three really are kind of the substantive work at the moment. The rest is kind of or how to repackage it, probably speaking. Although I think there's definitely more work in the latter half.

Maybe we can take this last few minutes to discuss when we can meet again separate from the Bellovin call.

And I think that as a general proposition, it was like kind of the Eastern Daylight Time, 2:00, 3:00, 4:00 pm sort of times work the best, the time that everyone's time to that undue hardship.

Avri Doria: Why don't we hold the same Monday spot? Are we - that we talked for Bellovin and just don't try to hold that one for the next month.

Marilyn Cade: But don't - I - we don't actually have that long, Avri.

I think we'll have to meet on Tuesday. Meet Bellovin on Monday, we're going to have to meet with ourselves on Tuesday to do some work on D, E and F.

Greg Shatan: Well, I think we need to keep a fairly steady - at least once a week, if not twice a week schedule up since we have, you know, really more like three weeks rather than a month at this point.

So, can we do...

Mike Rodenbaugh: About this time in one week, Tuesday...

Greg Shatan: This time...

Mike Rodenbaugh: ...12:30 Pacific.

Greg Shatan: Can we - is that available for everyone, 12:30, 3:30, 8:30, 9:30?

((Crosstalk))

Greg Shatan: And I can't (unintelligible) off the top of the head.

Alistair Dixon: Seven-thirty.

Marilyn Cade: So, we'll have a call on Monday and we'll have a - with Bellovin and any other technical experts, and we'll have our own working group call on Tuesday, right?

Greg Shatan: Right.

Man: Yup.

Glen Desaintgery: At what time? The same time as now?

Greg Shatan: Same time as now, and I'll make sure not to - I'll keep the time after this, you know, for a good solid two hours. So, just in case, I think we'll need more time, Glen.

And I think the call with the experts should definitely be transcribed, and I think the higher cost transcription process may be worthwhile for this one, so for one an accurate record. There's the accurate and quicker record as possible since we're probably be working off of that call quite a bit.

Marilyn Cade: Glen, which one gives the quicker turnaround?

Glen Desaintgery: I use the Verizon call. They give me a very, very quick turnaround.

For yesterday's call, for example, I had it this afternoon by 4:30 (right) done.

Marilyn Cade: So, for the experts call, Glen?

Glen Desaintgery: For the experts call, they have not perfect the transcriptions. But then, they are - transcriptions are really not perfect. I've had others done on the Lisbon...

Marilyn Cade: Right.

Glen Desaintgery: ...by professionals and you will see that from the Web site. They are very much better, but none of them are perfect.

Greg Shatan: Well, let's go with the Verizon one then for the experts call then.

Glen Desaintgery: What does help is if people speak slowly and if they say their names before they speak each time.

Greg Shatan: Always (criticize), I try to do that at home as much as possible.

Anything else for the moment?

Well, I think we have our work tried out for us. I thank you for  
(tolerating) me as your chair.

Mike Rodenbaugh: And I thank you very much, Greg, for volunteering.

Greg Shatan: And...

Glen Desaintgery: Sorry. Can I just recap?

to be sure on Monday, there will be a call, which will be at 4:30 Eastern  
time, 22 hours 30 - 10:30 European time.

And on Tuesday, there will be a working group call at - what time is it  
now Eastern time?

Greg Shatan: Three-thirty, same time.

Glen Desaintgery: Three-thirty Eastern time (again).

Greg Shatan: That's correct.

Thank you, Glen.

Glen Desaintgery: And I'll send out the call details.

Greg Shatan: Thank you and thank you everyone.

Glen Desaintgery: Thanks.

Greg Shatan: Be (unintelligible).

Alistair Dixon: Thanks. Bye.

Greg Shatan: Bye-bye now.

Glen Desaintgery: Bye.

Marilyn Cade: Bye.

END