

**Geographic Regions Review Working Group  
TRANSCRIPTION  
Monday 01 June at 1300 UTC**

**Note:** The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Geographic Regions Review Working Group on Monday 01 June 2009 at 13:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at:

<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-geo-regions-20090601.mp3>

On page:

<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#june>

(transcripts and recordings are found on the calendar page)

**Participants on the call:**

Olga Cavalli  
Janis Karklins  
David Archbold  
Fahd Batayneh  
Carlton Samuels (joined after roll call)

**Staff:**

Rob Hoggarth  
Bart Boswinkel  
Gisella Gruber-White

**Absents - Apologies**

Zahid Jamil  
Cheryl Langdon-Orr

David: At the last meeting, and I can (unintelligible) is confirmation of the agenda. Has anybody got any changes or additions they would like to make to the agenda?

Gisella Gruber-White: If I may just interrupt this to do the roll call now, because we are actually having the call recorded (so we can have it for the transcript), sorry. On today's call we have Olga Cavalli.

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Gisella Gruber-White: (Janice Kaplan), David Archibald, (Ferd Butani), and from staff we have Rob Hoggarth, (Bart Holsinkle), and myself Gisella Gruber-White.

Thank you.

Rob Hoggarth: David, if you'd like, it's Rob Hoggarth, I can read you the agenda items for those who have not been able to pull up the previous agenda.

David: Yep, fine, thank you.

Rob Hoggarth: Great. Item 1, welcome; Item 2, confirmation of agenda; Item 3, discussion confirmation of categories; 4, discussion, confirmation of categorization; 5, issues; 6, reports of drafting; 7, schedule and next meeting; and Item 8 (unintelligible).

David: Thanks, Rob. Perhaps before we get into that could you briefly say where we are now with the charter? We've had confirmation of the changes I think from just about everybody if they're happy with them. So what's the next step as far as you're concerned with those?

Rob Hoggarth: The next step that I am drafting up the Board recommendation paper again with now attaching the revised chart document that will be permitted in the next couple of days to the ICANN secretary for including in the Board packet for their June meeting in Sydney. It'll be up to the Board to decide whether it will again be on the consent agenda or whether it will go on more of a discussion item.

The Board members who've had their questions have reported to me that they have been answered to their satisfaction with the draft that you all have now approved with those revisions. So I remain optimistic that the Board will be in a position to approve the charter at the Sydney meeting.

The one item perhaps that would be helpful in terms of outreach would just be able to confirm a day when we interact with the Board. You have gotten out a re-invite to the ASO to give them an opportunity or another message to appoint folks to join the working group. That I think would be the only string that's left to pull.

David: Okay. And I have got that, in fact, sitting on my desk ready to go. The one thing I've been unable to find is a good email address for Mr. (Adielle).

Bart: You want the email address for (Adielle) don't you?

David: Yeah, yeah.

Bart: I will send it to you. You'll have it.

David: I have it for (Louis), but not for him.

Bart: No, I will send it to you today.

David: Okay, fine.

Rob: Thank you both.

David: And it's sitting ready to go, so as soon as I get that email address will have gone.

Rob Hoggarth: Great. The only thing that I would back that, and this is Rob again, is whether (Yaun) has given any other observations or comments in terms of Board approval, if you thought there were issues.

(Yaun): No. I think that the only question was raised by the folks out in (Unintelligible) the ISO people and the working groups, so that was the only reason for (postponing), because otherwise I have a feeling that things are quite all right,

and the Board will accept the charter once the ISO people will be included in the working.

Rob Hoggarth: Thank you.

David: Sure, okay, thanks. So can we then move onto Item 3, which was the draft categories that we circulated must be some time now. Rob started off, and I think you had four categories, Rob, and subsequently I knocked them down to three.

And I think, (Bart), you were happy with those three, and we circulated them around. And I don't think I've had a significant comment back from anybody. So is that basically an agreement or you were absolutely speechless?

Obviously the latter.

(Carlton): I think it's fine, this is (Carlton).

David: Hi (Carlton). Okay.

(Carlton): (Good morning all).

David: All right. So if we are happy about the categories themselves, moving onto Item 4. I had a go at categories in some of the uses that we have all ready got out. I didn't do them all.

As I think I said in my email, one of the reasons for that is I think some of the items we had on the list there were perhaps more sort of background and information items rather than actual specific uses.

I had a go at categorization, again, might be very grateful for any comments anybody has got.

(Carlton): Well, I think that, this is (Carlton) again, Dave. They are definitely representation as well as operational.

David: Sorry, I didn't get the start of what you said there (Carlton). Which ones are definitely...

(Carlton): The (RIRs).

David: All right.

(Carlton): (Unintelligible) Registry.

David: Yeah.

(Carlton): The one you sent out didn't have a categorization in the column, and I (unintelligible) that they are both representational as well as operational. You know how it goes.

David: Yeah.

(Carlton): They have a standard policy development structure - open policy development structure, and they have, like for example, they have a Caribbean section. Speaking now of Caribbean, and so we're represented in the Caribbean section for policy development and also voting, and the voting is weighed.

And they have also operational because they are the ones who provide the IT addresses to the region.

David: Well, yeah, I'm happy with it. Any other comments, suggestions?

Rob Hoggarth Dave, this is Rob Hoggarth. What would you like or what is your recommendation with respect to the category that may be more of a line of

background. (Carlton's) recommending some adding to the RIR section, but there were several where you had sort of, I think, suggested if it's an NA you may want to put in background or I didn't know if you just wanted to take those off the list.

My thought would be that you'd want to keep those on the list just to let the community see the full range of places where geographic regions are referenced or used. And so I don't know whether we want to just create a fourth category that's just a background or informational rather than leaving those sections blank.

David: My gut feel, Rob, was to actually remove them from that table, not from the report, but from that table, so that the uses and the categories were quite clear. But perhaps either before that or after that we would complete the information, but say in addition there are these references to or whatever. I haven't got the wording. So we ended up with two tables if you like, a background table and a users table, something of that sort.

(Carlton): This is (Carlton) I (actually favor) that suggestion, Dave. It keeps the thing clear and clean.

David: Yeah.

(Carlton): And the informational aspects of it I think is a lesser kind of, you know, worry. And I think what impact you keep them separate and clean.

David: Yeah. Okay, good. Any other comments?

Janis; (Yaun) speaking. I think that do three categories and an explanation (unintelligible), and I'm speaking, you know, for myself, (unintelligible) and we should proceed to (elaborate) them further.

I think that we should try to avoid all complicated things. And what is now presented, in my view, is very good and we should go on with this further to develop it further.

David: Okay, fine, thanks, thank you. Let us move on if everybody's had their say on Item 4. Shall we move onto Item 5? I'm still not happy with what we've got down as issues, to be honest. And I had hoped to do some more work on this before the meeting, but I'm afraid my (disappearing into my sick bed) didn't help.

I have looked at, for example, the -- and I think I mentioned this before -- the letters that the GNSO sent to the Board in response to, you know, to the request to support the working group. And there are certain elements within that that are clearly stating what the GNSO all felt were some of the issues that the working group should be working at.

Regrettably, I don't have them in front of me, but I seem to remember that included flexibility and a range of other issues. And I think we ought to be looking at those and bringing those into the list of issues to be considered.

I think the rather place - the list that I very briefly put together was from the CCNSO report, so I think we should be adding the GNSO stuff. And I think there were even some issues that were brought up, and I mentioned this before, I think by (GoDaddy).

Rob Hoggarth: Yeah.

David: In their response. You know, whether or not we agree with what they think the answer should be is one thing, but I think we should also be documenting the issues.

Bart: May I make a suggestion, Dave? This is (Bart) speaking. Is that Rob and I pull something together say along the lines you just suggested and send it to

the group in the course of this week so we have a general overview of all the issues and all the say from the GNSO and from the comments as well that we - that the working group received some time ago. And together with your list and the spread sheets so we have an overview and then this group can say which are priority issues and which are not.

Olga Cavalli: Dave this is (Sonia).

David: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: I could work with Rob and with (Bart) once they make this list and check with the GNSO document and see other comments and issues are included there so maybe I can help with that.

David: That would be good. Thank you.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

David: I'm never going to say no to volunteers. Rob actually volunteered there.

Bart: Rob, do you think that is feasible say in the course of this week?

Rob Hoggarth: Yeah, I think that would help the group in its deliberations here (in it's drafting) and I'd be delighted to do that.

Bart:: So, that's you, Olga, and me.

((Crosstalk))

David: Okay. Any more on Item 5 and I'm accepting with thanks the volunteers.

Bart: Just one question Dave. As soon as we got that list together how do you want to use it say in the next phases? I'm looking at the agenda. I've got it here



somewhere. There it is. So that's number 5 and then do you want to start drafting then hold discussions first with the working group.

David: Well, I'd like to do some parallel tracking here actually. As you guys have kindly agreed to work on the issues then I will do my best to try and do a very outlined report draft so that we all have some idea of at least the structure and how we're putting it together. And try and get that out to you sort of within the same time scale so over the next week or so at least get an outline there so that we can develop that and build on it. So I'll take that one on.

Bart: Okay.

David: And for timing now - how long have we got before Sydney?

Rob Hoggarth: The board meeting in Sydney is the 26th, the beginning of the...

David: When do we start leaving for Sydney?

Bart: I would say one and a half weeks people start already and say the 17th, 16th of June so that's two and a half weeks.

David: I suppose basically I was wondering do we have time to get another teleconference in before Sydney or do we try and get together at Sydney?

Bart: It's up to the group.

David: Indeed. I was looking for some feedback. How do people feel?

Olga Cavalli: Looking at the calendar...

Janis: I think it's better to read the paper or whatever whenever it is published and then try to get together in Sydney.

Bart: Yeah. And work online.

(Yaun): And work online of course.

Bart: Because I think by the end of this week we will have say the issues because that's a natural sitting down advising them confirming them with the three of us and then it can be sent to the group and then it's up to the group - that can be done by email with regard to the outline as well, I think.

(Carlton): Can I make a suggestion Dave? This is (Carlton).

David: Yes, please.

(Carlton): If you look at the issues, especially the ones with the GNSO and the CCNSO, they kind of track with the group, the categorizations, representatives and issues and so on. It would be useful if we could kind of track the issues in those same categories again so that you can make broad statements about representation or operation or whatever the category is. And then we delve into it as a way - that is an operational way of going at it.

Because if you look at the GNSO issues, they are really a lot about representation and so on.

David: Indeed. Yeah.

So as I think (Bart) suggested way back when we talked about this first, the categories are the theme that sort of go through everything here.

(Carlton): Well, that's absolutely right - that's absolutely right. It seems that they're going (to call it) - they're thematic to the response.

Bart: So what we could do as well because we got a reasonable definition of the issues, say part of the base and operation, what we could do as well Olga

and Rob if you agree, that we got the spread sheet from Dave and we had another column and see what we think is - what type of issue it is and then send that to the group. Then you have the two combined.

(Carlton): That's precisely. That would be a great way to go, yes.

Bart: And then we can fit it into the other scheme where we have listed what is happening currently. And then you've got a full - at least an overview of issues related to the bylaws and everything else. The underlying data is available.

(Carlton): Yes, that would make it extremely useful to follow and move ahead.

Bart: Okay. Olga and Rob, do you agree that we insert say a draft say categorization as well of the issues?

Olga Cavalli: Yes, yes, I think it's a good idea.

Rob Hoggarth: What would be helpful is since you have visualized that, you can show me a mock up or whatever, I'll be happy to take the first crack at populating it.

Bart: Okay.

I will.

You'll have it by - I'll do it tomorrow morning because some of us in Europe still have a public holiday.

Rob Hoggarth: I think ICANN observed any holiday.

Bart: That's why I'm on the call.

David: Well, ladies and gentlemen, I think we've got a plan and although we weren't actually talking about Item 7, we haven't - schedule our next meeting. That's what we're talking about. Can we try and arrange a get together in Sydney?

Rob Hoggarth: Yeah, Dave this is Rob.

Currently as a place holder on the agenda to be consistent with the scheduled class, last ICANN meeting in Mexico City, the agenda currently has a place holder for this working group to meet on Monday, the 22nd at 7 am for at least half an hour conflicts with nothing on the schedule as it's currently written although things could change.

(Carlton): Well, this is (Carlton). I don't think I'm going to make Sydney because I usually get some bid to go to meetings by virtue of being a member of the (unintelligible) leadership. And recently I have kind of pulled away from that so I am no longer in the automatically funded group. So I probably won't make Sydney.

Rob Hoggarth: So we will have telephonic connection so again I'm not sure if that specific time works (Carlton) or what that time will match to where you will be that day but we can look into that to see that's not a terribly inconvenient time for you.

(Carlton): Yeah, that's fine. We can always remote connections.

David: Okay. Seven o'clock on the Monday works but only just. I'm supposed to be chairing the CCNSO (tech day) on Monday which will start shortly thereafter I believe.

Bart: Yeah, most of the time it starts at 9 or 8:30 Dave. That one.

Rob Hoggarth: You get a whole 30 minute break before that Dave.

(Carlton): Use it wisely.

David: Indeed.

Okay. I think we are coming to a close. Has anybody else anything to add?

Rob Hoggarth: This is Rob. If I can interject briefly.

You last circulated the public issue schedule for the initial report Dave on May 13. That was when we were anticipated a publication date of June 12. I think as I circulated in the update report after the board meeting and shared with the working group members that we thought the group would now not be approved until Sydney. We're looking at a post-Sydney initial report publication date.

Presumably your agenda in Sydney could include review of a close to final version of the paper or you'd be looking at a publication of the report in late June or early July. I don't know what the group thinks about that.

David: I think people won't really have a feel for this until we start getting the issues and the if you like the skeleton report out. I think we'll be in a better position to - it seems a long way away at the moment. And so I think we need to see the skeleton and feel confident that we can get the bones on things.

Let's leave it for the moment Rob. I think you're right but we can talk about it online and then try and finalize the thoughts in Sydney.

Well that being the case ladies and gentlemen I will thank you one and all and I will return to my (sick bed).

Man: Take care Dave.

Man: All right, Dave. Take care.

((Crosstalk))

David: Email address, (Bart).

Bart: Yeah, I'll just send it to you.

David: Okay, thanks.

Bart: All right, bye-bye.

Man: Take care everyone.

Man: Bye everybody.

Man: Bye-bye.

Woman: Bye.

Rob Hoggarth: Thank you Natalie. Thank you Gisella.

Gisella Gruber-White: Thank you, bye-bye.

Rob Hoggarth: Bye-bye.

END