

GNSO Council meeting 5 September 2013 Adobe chat transcript

Marika Konings:Welcome to the GNSO Council meeting of 5 September 2013
Volker Greimann:Hi Marika, I know I am early
Marika Konings:Hi Volker, you are early!
Volker Greimann:Two hours from now, right?
Marika Konings:yes, that is right
Patrick Myles:hi marika
Marika Konings:Hi Patrick
Marika Konings:Welcome to your first GNSO Council meeting ;-)
Patrick Myles:thanks :)
Patrick Myles:I'm new to this - do I need to mute my mic... or is it default muted your side?
Marika Konings:There is no audio via Adobe Connect for this meeting so you will need to dial into the audio bridge
Patrick Myles:oh right
Patrick Myles:better get onto that now then...
Glen de Saint Gery:Please join the audio bridge!
Jonathan Robinson:Hello all and welcome Patrick
Patrick Myles:thanks!
Osvaldo Novoa:Hi everyone
Volker Greimann:dialling in
Volker Greimann:audio using computer was diables?
Volker Greimann:diabled
Marika Konings:Yes, for this call we have a separate audiocast and a conference bridge for participating Council members.
Joy:@glen: I have an apology from Magaly Pazello
David Cake:I'm having trouble dialing
Marika Konings:@David - do you need a dialout?
David Cake:@Marika having trouble with hotel phone system, not sure
Marika Konings:OK, just let us know if you need assistance
Maria:hi, I believe the audio has gone on this channel for ppl listening via adobe connect.
Maria:And now the adobe connect sound is back, fyi, for those listening in.
Marika Konings:Apologies for the inconvenience related to the audio - it looks like AC is automatically trying to reconnect, even after having disabled that function. If it is disturbing you, please mute the audio on your computer.
Joy:@marika: some of our colleagues are having difficulties - but will keep you posted
Joy:audio has gone again
David Cake:Hotel has now gone to get me another physical phone
Marika Konings:@Joy - we are looking into it. It should be back shortly hopefully.
Jeff Neuman:Thanks
David Cake:finally on the call
Jonathan Robinson:Welocme David
Volker Greimann:jeff, you are inaudible
Volker Greimann:worse, actually
Jeff Neuman:community members are asking if there is a phone bridge they can dial into in order to listen
Jeff Neuman:because the audio keeps dropping for them
Marika Konings:@Jeff - we are looking into the issue.
Marika Konings:but it should be working now (we are keeping a close eye on the line and it hasn't dropped as far as I am aware since the last note from Joy)
Volker Greimann:a consulting role, perhaps

Volker Greimann:I did not mean council, I was referring to the GNSO

Maria:no problem

Marika Konings:The Preliminary Issue Report is published for public comment for all (and also submitted to the GNSO Council as an FYI).

Volker Greimann:Having the ability to comment is something completely different from participating in the drafting itself, especially since some comment summaries tend to be "colored" in a certain direction

Marika Konings:At any point the Council can discard the draft charter and start from scratch. It would just be an option for the Council to consider.

Marika Konings:As an FYI, this approach has been used in the past for IRTP PDP WGs (in those cases the charter questions were very straightforward)

Volker Greimann:Still, creating a draft charter creates a need to argue against the proposed charter if one feels the community creates the charter

Volker Greimann:This gives staff more control over the direction of the PDP, and I do not feel that is an appropriate direction for ICANN to go

Maria:Jonathan, I support the idea of tabulating and working out the suggestions we could go ahead with.

Marika Konings:Another option would be that like with the consent agenda, if there is a single objection from any council member to the draft charter, it would go automatically to a drafting team. Would that provide some reassurance?

Maria:That sounds sensible, Marika.

Volker Greimann:There are remaining issues?

Jonathan Robinson:@Maria - Thanks. Thta's helpful

Jonathan Robinson:RE: Support of table

Volker Greimann:Question: what is the significance of this image on the screen to the topic at hand?

John Berard:can you move the deck back to the links?

John Berard:thanks

Jeff Neuman:did we get this paper?

Mary Wong:@Jeff, not yet.

Marika Konings:@Jeff, we expect that this paper will be published shortly (hopefully by early next week)

Volker Greimann:a) it can be renewed

Volker Greimann:b) 3 years should be sufficient

wolfgang:Can you call me in again? I lost the line?

Glen de Saint Gery:ah poor thing being called in, it dropped 16 times and as I said to Eric we should try and find out how to stabilise it

Glen de Saint Gery:yes we call you Wolfgang

Maria:jonathan's line seems to be breaking up a little

Volker Greimann:is something different today with the line? a lot of people are having problems. Now Jonathan is breaking up too

Maria:Getting increasingly hard to understand

wolfgang:I am back in Thx.

Zahid Jamil:I would support us going ahead with the Task Force and simultaneously communicating that this exploratory work has begun to the Board

Volker Greimann:now you are clear again

Ching Chiao (DotAsia):+1 Zahid

Zahid Jamil:this communication can be sent after a short time given for constituencies to react

Jeff Neuman:What bother me most is the fact that this came up way before new tld apps were accepted

Jeff Neuman:A number of us asked these questions as early as 2010

Zahid Jamil:agree with Jeff

Volker Greimann:Zahid, I agree with the general principle, however we should aim for a comparatively quick process. The applicants can't all wait for the results of a pdp

Glen de Saint Gery:It was Wolfgang's line causing the disturbance

Jeff Neuman:For anyone to make a statement that we had noidea this would even be an issue has not done their homework

Volker Greimann:it is a badly designed process

Zahid Jamil:agree thats why i supported the idea of a light quick task force - and not an issues report or pdp at this stage

Volker Greimann:the possibility for incongruous results is built into the process

Volker Greimann:Zahid: +1

Zahid Jamil:indeed - it can be much improved

wolfgang:Jeff can you share your paper with Council Members?

Jeff Neuman:Sure...Let me make a couple of edits.....fix typos

Jeff Neuman:and I will resend

Jonathan Robinson:Who is on the task force? Councillors? Volunteers from the GNSO?

Jonathan Robinson:Please make sure mics are on mute

Jonathan Robinson:Jonathan Robinson: @Everyone - Please make sure all materials presented are circulated on the Council email list. With appropriate caveats if necessary.

Berry Cobb:Point in time is also an issue. Current WG workload, holiday time, WG fatigue to mention a few.

Joy:well maybe the community is giving the Council a message that we should listen too, as hard as that may to hear sometimes

Berry Cobb:We'll get right on the new call for volunteers. Thank you Jonathan.

Volker Greimann:we can help by liaising with our communities.

Marika Konings:@Volker - I thought your comments meant you were signing up for this effort ;-)

Volker Greimann:@Marika: hoo-boy! I need to see if I can free up the time myself.

Volker Greimann:I will do my best ;-)

John Berard:I support Jeff's view

Jeff Neuman:Joy - How do we as a cuncil take on decisions on items that are not allowed to even come to us with the full consensus requirement

Jeff Neuman:Sorry - Council?

Joy:the SCI can also report on deadlock

Jeff Neuman:i dont view one group's holding out as "deadlock"

Jeff Neuman:Requiring something other than unanimity is just good governance

Jeff Neuman:You still have to get "consensus"

Jeff Neuman:just not unanimity

Jeff Neuman:I do not in any way see that as lessening the standard

Joy:@Thomas: elegantly put

Thomas Rickert:Thanks, Joy

Jonathan Robinson:My audio dropped. Will reconnect.

Jeff Neuman:I believe (and have seen) that requirigin full consensus is actually a disincentive to compromise for the party that is holding out

Jonathan Robinson:Wolf, please say a few words on item 12

Wolf Knob:yes, I do

Jonathan Robinson:The others we will pick up on list

Wolf Knob:Rob just gives a short update on the GNSO review?

Jonathan Robinson:I am waiting on hold to re-join

Maria:Re. the NPOC comment recommending the GNSO Review not be delayed, it's likely this will be endorsed by the NCSG in toto by the deadline tomorrow.

Jonathan Robinson:back in audio

Jonathan Robinson:The key question for the review is what action does the council take (a) in the event the review is postponed adn (b) if it is not

Jonathan Robinson:In some ways, this is better answered once we know the outcome of the decision to delay or not

Brian Winterfeldt:The IPC believes that the GNSO Review should proceed on the current timeline without delay.

Wolf Knoben:@Brian: The ISPCP is in support.

Mary Wong:@Brian, is IPC putting in a comment on tis?

Brian Winterfeldt:@Mary - IPC comments to this point should be submited shortly.

Thomas Rickert:thanks!

wolfgang:Thx.