

**IRTP C
TRANSCRIPTION
Tuesday 05 June 2012 at 1400 UTC**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the IRTP C meeting on Tuesday 05 June 2012 at 1400 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at:

<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-irtp-c-20120605-en.mp3>

On page:<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar#june>

(transcripts and recordings are found on the calendar page)

Attendees:

Mike O'Connor - CBUC
James Bladel -co-chair
Philip Corwin - CBUC
Bob Mountain - Rr SG
Matt Serlin – RrSG
Avri Doria – co-Chair
Barbara Knight – RrSG
Kevin Erdman – IPC
Rob Golding – RrSG
Hago Dafalla - NCUC

ICANN Staff:

Marika Konings
Nathalie Peregrine

Apologies

Chris Chaplow - CBUC
Paul Diaz – RrSg
Simonetta Batteiger - RrSG
Jonathan Tenenbaum - RrSG
Michele Neylon – RrSG

Nathalie Peregrine: Thank you very much (Tanya). Good morning. Good afternoon. Good evening. This is the IRTPC call on the 6th of June, 2012. On the call today we have Barbara Knight, Mike O'Connor, James Bladel, Kevin Erdman, Bob Mountain, (Rob Golding), Matt Serlin, Hago Dafalla and Avri Doria will be joining us shortly. We have apologies from (Unintelligible), Chris Chaplow, (Mikali Neland) and Paul Diaz. From the staff we have (Mickey Turns) and myself, Nathalie Peregrine. I would like to remind you all to please state your names before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and over to you.

James Bladel: Thank you Nathalie. Good morning and good afternoon. And welcome to the call for June 5, 2012. And as per our tradition, if anyone has any updates to their statement of interest, please indicate so by raising their hand or speaking up now. And then if anyone has any updates or edits to the proposed agenda which is listed in the right-hand column of the Adobe chat room and was also circulated on the mailing list yesterday, please raise your hand now.

Okay, excellent. We will consider the agenda accepted and we will move on with that. So the first item of business as everyone is hopefully aware, we saw a flurry of edits since our last call to the initial report which I'm going to Marika on the spot here a little bit and ask, was this published in time for the deadline yesterday? I assume it was.

Marika Konings: Yes, this is Marika. It went out on time and I just sent as well the link to the announcement as well to the public comment forum to the mailing list yesterday and I also submitted it to the GNSO council.

James Bladel: Excellent. Thank you. And that comment period has then begun, correct?

Marika Konings: Yes, correct.

James Bladel: Okay, I'm just confirming these things because I'm never sure what - I have a hard time keeping my issues straight. Maybe it's just me. So that, then, I would say - I think the first step is thank you, Marika, and congratulations to the team on reaching this important milestone. I'm sure that the material that is seen in our initial report will generate significant discussion both in the comments forum and hopefully will also stir up some interesting threads and blog posts and media coverage outside of the official ICANN channels as well.

So congrats everyone. I think that this was an excellent team effort. I think we spread the burden around fairly equitably. And we - everybody pitched in I think to make this happen and in relatively short order. I mean, if you look at traditional PDP calendars.

So great work. Thanks everyone and thanks, Marika, of course, who as always, did a lot of the heavy lifting. Okay, so then that leaves some opening questions here which are item Number 3 on the agenda - 3 and 4. I'm just kind of skipping around initially but the first one is that we have logistical planning for our meeting in Prague which I believe - and I just did my schedule yesterday and I lost it. I think it's on a Wednesday. So we can talk a little bit about the format of that meeting, how we are going to reach out to the community to (gin) up interest and attendance and participation in the workshop section of that.

We certainly I think had some very engaged attendees in Costa Rica, although the audience was very small. And then talk a little bit about the meeting and the work effort that we'll be doing between now and Prague. So we actually have two other calls scheduled next Tuesday and the following Tuesday and I think that the question on the table that Avri and Marika and I were discussing was whether or not we should just go ahead and give the working group those days off as everyone prepares their travel and certainly other groups are also struggling to hit deadlines. So those are the topics we'd love to cover today. Marika, go ahead.

Marika Konings: Yes, this is Marika. There was one item as well under the - on our agenda Item 2 I just wanted to raise with people because, you know, apart from the announcement that's gone out from the ICANN Web site and is being posted, like on the homepage, you know, people who have any other (places) where they would like to post, you know, a link to the public comment forum or are there any other parties we should send this out to, you know, people might want to make suggestions.

I'm happy to do so but I know some of you write, you know, blog posts on a regular basis. If there's anywhere else you want to post, you know, feel free to forward to make sure that we get as much input as we can.

James Bladel: Oh, great and that's a good idea. And certainly if we can leverage Mr. (Michelle Neylon) who has apologies today, is a very prolific blogger on all of ICANN. We can get that out to him. We can also reach out to some of the industry bloggers that we know follow these topics very closely. I am speaking at an event Thursday where we are going to just go over some of the current issues and activities within ICANN and I can definitely cite this report and link it to that crowd.

So I think, yes, I mean, whether it's a formal effort or whether we just informally ask all of our members to use their normal channels for promotion and outreach to raise awareness of this report, I think that's a good idea. Bob.

Bob Mountain: Yes, thank. Yes, this is Bob. I was just going to - yes, we know pretty well some of the domainer blogs and so I'm happy to forward this to them and see if they will pick it up. At least one of them attends the ICANN meetings so he'd probably be much more inclined and potentially he's going to attend the meetings, so.

James Bladel: Right. Excellent. Okay, so maybe just a general call to the mailing list to encourage folks to announce this report, either on their social media or their -

whatever their industry channels are. I'll go ahead and send that out today and just ask for folks to help raise awareness of this report.

Any other thoughts on that subject? Or we can move on to discussion of our meeting in Prague. Bob, go ahead.

Bob Mountain: Yes, sorry. James, when you send that out, could you just send whatever, you know, whatever external facing links that we would then use to, you know, to someone who writes a blog just so we're accurate on what we're looking for?

James Bladel: Yes, I'll probably link directly to the ICANN comments announcement and forum which should contain the document as well as instructions of the timelines for feedback. Does that - or were you thinking of something else Bob?

Bob Mountain: No, that's what I was thinking. Like, if we're going to ask, you know, the domains to publish this, you know, what would we want them to publish, so just to make sure we have the appropriate links that we're going to ask them to put in there or for our (visual) or whatever. Whatever - it's just, you know, some way to kind of package it up, so.

James Bladel: Okay, yes. That sounds good. And then, of course, if you have someone that you want to specifically direct it to, you can also forward that email and point them in that direction as well. I think if we get this in front of Mikali, we should expect numerous pickups. That's just my personal feeling.

James Bladel: Okay great. The next item was talking a little bit about our meeting in Prague, and Marika, correct me if I'm wrong - and again, I'm working from memory and I've got way too many browser windows open at the moment. But I think there was a schedule from - was it from 9:00 to 11:00 on Wednesday in Prague, is our session?

Marika Konings: Yes, this is Marika. I've actually posted the link in the chat window so if you go there, you see the meeting details and the location of, you know, where the meeting's taking place. That's correct, from 9:00 to 11:00 that it's scheduled for. As you can see as well, there is already a general description there just, you know, that we had to put in when we requested this meeting which is a couple of weeks ago.

But as you can also see, there's also a link below there which are agenda details and it takes you to a Wiki page that still needs to be completed. So the idea would be that, you know, hopefully we can discuss today how the meeting should look and we can actually, you know, complete this page by providing a more concrete agenda of what is going to be discussed and, you know, what timeframes you're going to allocate to the different topics.

James Bladel: Okay, and then I'm listening to you and scanning over that currently. So we're not really drawing a - let's see here. We're talking about this as an update with a workshop. So this is going to be structured differently than our session in Costa Rica which as a face-to-face meeting with an open section for Q&A.

So this one will be more focused on reaction to presentation of the draft initial report or the initial report and then reaction to that. Is that correct?

Marika Konings: Yes, this is Marika. Yes, correct. I think that I don't really need to explain to people what is in the report and depending on the audience, you know, give more or less details and hopefully, indeed, engage in some discussion and get people to ask questions. But I think most importantly, to encourage people to submit their comments as part of the public comment forum.

James Bladel: Okay, so the task then falls I think to the membership, the working group, and since we have a couple of weeks, I would ask everyone to maybe take a swing at this, what can we do to drum up the attendance and engagement in this session? And that could be in person. That could be through the remote participation facilities or even if someone wanted to submit a comment in

advance to the comment forum, we could certainly skim through that and take a look at that to - and during this session.

I know that in ICANN culture, most people submit comments within days of the comment forum closing, but if we can get some early comments in there, we can take a look at that. I see a queue so I'll go to Avri.

Avri Doria: Yes, just quick. And I'm sorry I was late and I may have already missed it - I think one of the essential points to get across there is to make sure that everybody understands those places where there are still questions, there are still, you know, strong support or support for various points of view.

And so to make sure that those get explained with both sides of the issues being well explained and the gathering and requesting of input on those things, I think those - we have to explain it all but I think we really have to highlight those areas that still need work. Thanks.

James Bladel: Avri, that's an excellent point. And I put myself the in the queue to kind of build on that. Marika, is there any way that we can identify those open questions that we targeted during our initial report and perhaps include that in the description of the session? I see that we have the (Turner) questions listed there but perhaps if we had a bullet list of the top three, four, five items that we're looking for to get any feedback on, that might help drum up attendance as well.

Marika Konings: Yes, this is Marika. Some of those questions were also included in the public comment forum. I tried to tease them out from the initial report and that is the kind of information we can indeed include in the Wiki page where we can still add and change things.

I mean, the description that is there was a general description we needed to provide and decide a couple of weeks ago so that's been more difficult to change but on the agenda, that's where we have the flexibility to describe

and, you know, indicate which questions we're trying to address. And what I can do for the working group as well to review, is prepare a presentation and then providing an overview of the different, you know, recommendations that are in the report but also highlighting in there the questions that we're still looking for input on and maybe that can serve as a tool as well to get everyone to provide input and make sure that we haven't missed anything.

James Bladel: I think that's a great idea and thanks for suggesting that. Then the second step would be to engage in some sort of formal outreach to various stakeholder groups and constituencies within GNSO and even outside the GNSO within ICANN.

I should mention that I will specifically get this topic onto the agenda of the registrar stakeholder group meeting on Tuesday and I will ask interested parties to attend that session. I'll direct them to that workshop on Wednesday. Can we get some volunteers for folks in other stakeholder groups and constituencies to do something similar? Marika, is that your hand? It looks like Avri's saying a checkmark. Mikey.

Marika Konings: Yes, this is Marika. I'm hand raised as well because we're normally invited as well to come to present to the registrar stakeholder group to, you know, talk about what issues are being discussed in the GNSO and I'll definitely highlight it as well as part of my presentation.

And I'm also happy, you know, if any other constituencies or stakeholder groups, you know, want to have an overview or, you know, some kind of participation from policy staff. I'm more than happy to participate in that as well so you can just let me know and, of course, others are volunteering. That's even better.

James Bladel: Yes. Yes, I think the more, the better. We can gang up on the whole community this way. Mikey, was that a hand or just volunteering to take this (site) to the ISPs?

Mikey O'Connor: Yes, it's on our agenda.

James Bladel: Excellent. Thank you. I think if we can get someone from the DC or IPC to do the same, that would be excellent. So maybe I'll just include that as part of the outreach message that I sent to the list. I'll just ask for more volunteers because I know there are quite a few listening for today's call. Okay, any other thoughts on the meeting in Prague, what we should be doing, how it should be structured, what we should be talking about?

Marika Konings: This is Marika. Maybe one more thing might be if we can write a kind of invitation up and then maybe send it out to some of the groups as well to encourage them to come to the meeting. Once we've, indeed, identified the questions, you know, we might also want to consider just sending it out to at least the GNSO stakeholder group and constituencies, maybe the ccNSO, some of them might have an interest in seeing how those discussions are followed from the meeting we have with them in Costa Rica.

So maybe that's another way as well to do some outreach and really make sure that we have some people in the room because there are a lot of competing meetings at the same time going on. So we might do some promotion.

James Bladel: Yes, that's always the key to - we're always competing with (eyeballs). It's like cable television over there. Everybody can change the channel very easily. Marika, can you send to me or to the list, the list of opening questions?

Marika Konings: Yes, this is Marika. I'll pull those from the document and I can send that to the list and then people can add to it.

James Bladel: Okay. And then, yes, we can maybe as a group agree on what we think the priority of open questions are and we can send those around. We can try to

get those included in the description, although I know that with ICANN publishing the schedule, they're not really interested in changing that.

And then if - we'll just continue to promote this and convince everyone how exciting this will be and how boring some of the sessions occurring at the same time will seem in contrast. In queue now is Avri and then Mikey. Avri, go ahead.

Avri Doria: Yes, hi. I'm not sure if what I'm going to say is a good idea or a bad idea, but in terms of trying to, as you say, drum up an audience, one of the things I think we should look at when we're putting out these lists of where the questions are is within the group, we make a very careful attempt to state the thing in as neutral consensus worthy language as possible, being very careful with words and modifiers.

When we put it out as a (draw), if that is indeed what we're trying to do, I'm not saying we should prejudice it but we should perhaps put the point out in as stark a way as possible and as, you know, and not try to in the question, in the advertisement, as it was, put all the nuance but explain the nuance when we've got people captive in the room.

James Bladel: I think I understood that Avri. Well, I - maybe I'll recommend that once we, you know, once Marika sends around the list of open questions, everyone will just take a swing at editing that and make sure that it meets their satisfaction and that it's sort of the intended purpose. And we certainly won't share it, distribute it or publish until we have agreement on that.

And I think that we can get sort of a gentlemen and gentle ladies agreeing that any personal outreach would also attempt or make every effort to neutralize some of those things and not steer participation in one direction or another. I think that that would probably also be - probably also be good. So I think it's a good idea unless I misunderstood what you were proposing it, I...

Avri Doria: I think you - at least I think what you said was the opposite.

James Bladel: Okay.

Avri Doria: What I was trying to say is that if you're trying to draw people in, why do we explain the nuance of an issue in the meeting? We don't have to put the nuance of the issue in the advertising, in the headline.

James Bladel: Okay, so in the headlines...

Avri Doria: The headline could be the issue in it's (startling) form. The (unintelligible) form.

James Bladel: Okay.

Avri Doria: And that. Because if you try to put the nuance in the advertising, you put people to sleep before they even get to the meeting.

James Bladel: Right. No I - okay, so - okay, so short and sweet. Is that...

Avri Doria: Yes, (spiffy).

James Bladel: Okay. (Spiffy) as like we're - as I'm not being (out), so okay. Understood.

Avri Doria: Or me ever.

James Bladel: Okay thanks. Mikey.

Mikey O'Connor: Yes, I had an idea that may just build on this. You know, at least in some of the other working groups I'm working with, we're going to put together a slide deck for the updates that are then available for people who are going into their constituency. Are we planning to do that for this one? Because that might be a way to sort of do some of the stuff that Avri's talking about.

You know, you get some sort of provocative headline bullet upfront and then build in in details in the back and because I think people's levels of understanding and participation in these is somewhat uneven and it's a way to help get a more consistent message out to the broader community. So I didn't know whether there was going to be a slide deck, an update deck prepared for this one or not, but that might be something to consider.

James Bladel: Well, I think - and I just closed my Adobe Connect window like a goofball, so give me - let me get back into that. I think that we typically have a slide deck highlighting the executive summary, the overview, the deliberations of the - and the recommendations as part of the (SA and) GNSO council.

So we can certainly perhaps share that on the list. Marika, does that - something that - I mean, I assume we have to prepare that anyway, correct?

Marika Konings: Yes, this is Marika. And as I suggested before, I'm happy to put together a slide that can be used for the council update but possibly also with maybe some small modifications to the workshop because I guess there we might have a more extensive discussion than the council update possibly. So I'm happy to prepare that and share that with the list so that people can provide feedback and then, you know, indicate what further information needs to be added for the workshop or, you know, what less information should be there for the council update. So we can fine tune that, and of course, people can use that as well for any updates they want to provide to stakeholder groups of constituencies.

James Bladel: Okay, thank you. Mikey, would something like that be accessible?

Mikey O'Connor: Yes, that'd be great. Thanks.

James Bladel: Okay, that's (cool). Okay, any other thoughts before we move on to the last item on our agenda here? Empty queue. Excellent. So the proposal on the

table is that - and we obviously have had a couple of takeaways from this meeting. But the proposal on the table here is that we would go ahead and cancel the meetings for the next two weeks and that the next time this group would convene outside of the mailing list would be in Prague on Wednesday.

Can we just get maybe a show of hands or a show of green tick marks if that's acceptable to anyone or can anyone, please, if you put a red X, you're going to have to indicate what you believe should occupy the next two weeks. So I see just - overwhelming folks are I think welcoming the respite from transportation so.

So I think that sounds like a good approach and I think that we will certainly have a mountain of work to do for this subject after Prague when we sift through the public comments and all the information and feedback collected at the meeting in Prague. And that will drive us to closure of some of these open questions, incorporation of the feedback into our report and deliberations and then the presentation and starting to draft the final report in time for the next meeting in Toronto. Marika, go ahead.

Marika Konings: Yes, this is Marika. If we can maybe then also discuss when the group would like to restart its deliberations after the Prague meeting, it might be helpful if we can already get it on the record and on people's agendas. And just to know, the public comment period started yesterday and initial period runs until the 4th of July and then the reply period starts which then continues until the 25th of July.

So I don't know if the group already wants to meet immediately after Prague to discuss what was, you know, the feedback received there and possibly have a look at the comments that have been submitted as part of the initial comment period to see if there's any, you know, because I think the working group can also reply to these comments if it would like to, if it has further questions or it's not clear what people mean.

So - or if you want to wait until the public comment period closes and then start up again.

James Bladel: I think - that raises an actual point actually because the - in looking at the calendar here quickly, the Prague meeting is officially the 25th through the 28th. Is that correct or am I week off?

Marika Konings: Yes, yes, that's right. It finishes on the 28th.

James Bladel: Okay, so then the next meeting following that would be the 3rd of July which - or I think I see a lot of Americans on the call today. I know a lot of folks are saying, you know, "I'm not working that day." I'm sure a lot of folks are taking a long weekend. So then we start to look at the 10th of July as reconvening.

So that's a pretty lengthy hiatus but I think that if the comment period remains open, and you know, folks are still transiting back from the Czech Republic and, you know, not back necessarily in the office, I think that's something we need to be mindful of as we schedule the calls, resuming the calls after Prague.

But my recommendation would be that we - our first - our next meeting after Prague would be July 10th which gives us approximately four calls - the 17th, the 24th, the 31st, and then I know that the situation's reversed and a lot of our European members will start to want to take (unintelligible) things get very, very quiet in ICANN circles during the month of August.

So I would recommend that perhaps we circulate on the mailing list our work plans, that we have dates, and take another look at how that shapes up after we each return from Prague and what the impact would be of resuming our regularly scheduled meetings on July 10th because that's a long break but yet, I really don't know that we're going to get a lot of work accomplished between now and July 10th outside of - or fantastically well attended and lively workshop (in the) planning. I think Mikey's okay with it then.

Okay, so that's tentatively what we'll put down and then that'll give folks I think ample time to travel and also possibly squeeze in a vacation. But those who are staying in Europe or for those who live in Europe or for those who are coming home to go to barbeques and blow things up, everybody can enjoy their time off and not think about transfers.

Any other items of business that we need to cover in today's call or can we simply proceed with our action items as necessary? Okay, the queue is clear. We have some homework assignments so I would ask everyone to please keep an eye on the list. And there will be some discussions of, not only housekeeping items but also some efforts to drum up interest in this report and in the workshop and please encourage everyone to shamelessly self-promote this work.

It's an excellent report I think on an important topic and, you know, everyone should be shouting this from the rooftops and sticking this under windshield wipers in the parking lot or whatever you have to do to get folks interested in reading this report and attending that workshop.

And we will then proceed to - directly to the Czech Republic. I will see everyone there, either in person or remotely. And we will begin to go over the feedback. Hopefully it's very positive and constructive. Well, thanks for your time today everyone and see you in Prague.

Woman: Good travels everyone.

Man: Yes, great job. See you all soon.

END