

Joint ccNSO-GNSO IDN Group (JIG) TRANSCRIPTION Tuesday 22nd November 2011 at 1300 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Joint ccNSO GNSO IDN Group (JIG) meeting on Tuesday 22nd November 2011 at 1300 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

The audio is also available at:

<http://audio.icann.org/gnsso/gnsso-jig-20111122-en.mp3>

On page: <http://gnsso.icann.org/calendar/#nov>

Attendees:

Edmon Chung, RySG, Co-Chair
Rafik Dammak, NCSG
Avri Doria, NCSG (Observer)

ICANN Staff:

Bart Boswinkel
Nathalie Peregrine

Apologies:

Jian Zhang, NomCom Appointee
Dennis Jennings
Sarmad Hussein
Fahd Batayneh, .jo
Jothan Frakes, IDN VIP (Observer)
June Seo, RySG
Sun XianTang, .cn
Yung Lee

Coordinator: Today's conference is now being recorded. If you have any objections you may disconnect at this time. Please go ahead, your lines are open.

Nathalie Peregrine: Thank you. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. This is the (JIG) call on the 22nd of November. On the call today we have Rafik Dammak, Edmon Chung and Avri Doria. From staff we have Bart Boswinkel and myself, Nathalie Peregrine.

We have apologies from Dennis Jennings, Fahd Batayneh, (Jim Junk) and Sarmad Hussein.

I would like to remind you all to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you and over to you.

Edmon Chung: Thank you and thank you everyone for joining the (JIG) call. As I mentioned earlier, I'm in transit right now due to some delays on my flight.

So I sent around a brief agenda for today. And I guess, you know, we'll go through that and probably be able to wrap up in a shorter timeframe than I allocated.

But in any case, I note that Dennis didn't join, wasn't able to join. But I guess I can give a brief update on the work at the VIP team. I'm sort of observing the discussion of the integration of the (six) study teams. That has been ongoing since (Dakar).

And I think there's good progress there, but I guess I was hoping that we would hear from Dennis whether the target - I guess target is still to publish a integrated report for public comments by the 15th of December. I think that's still the target. I guess I'll leave it to Dennis -- if possible -- to update on how the team feels that is coming together, unless anyone from staff on this call has any information there.

Bart Boswinkel: I don't. This is Bart. I don't. But Edmon, I suggest - I sent Dennis a note asking whether they're still on target of the 15th of December.

Edmon Chung: Yes. That's - thanks, that'll be useful. And I think the individual study teams are also revisiting some of the - well not revisiting, but looking at the comments that have been received and will, you know, and will provide sort of responses to be incorporated into the final integrated report. So that's, I

think, the extent of which I see that there's activity and I think all of the study teams now do review the comments to finalize the report.

I think Rafik and Avri, you're both on some of the lists, so I wonder if you guys want to add anything to that?

Avri Doria: I don't.

Edmon Chung: Hello?

Avri Doria: Yes. No, I'm here. I don't. I actually (unintelligible) not getting on the (integrate). I actually haven't checked the list much recently. I can go back and check it and see, but I haven't been following.

Edmon Chung: Okay. I guess that's where - at least we're, you know, I guess the teams that are working as hard as they can to meet the set target. So that's the update. As Bart mentioned though, thank you for connected with Dennis. And if he could just send a quick update to (unintelligible).

Okay. So the second item -- if I remember correctly -- is just the letter that was drafted in response to the board resolution of single character (IDN TLD). Since, I think, last meeting there have been a couple of drafts finalized. Thank you for all those who provided comments to it.

I did specifically seek the official members of this group, their response on the letter. And so it is now being circulated as the two councils will be, I guess, tabled for consideration in their next meeting, which is, I guess, two or three - 2-3 weeks from now. That's the timeline that we're working with.

And the intent is for - if both the councils approve it the chairs of the council will send it over to the board. Based on the comments and feedback I've made a number of edits to it.

One of the edits - responding to, I guess, Bart's question on whether the board did intend to tie the two programs from the (IDN) ccTLDs and (IDN gTLDs) together. I guess I relooked at it and, you know, it's possible that it is more of a editorial clarity issue. So instead of asking the (board) to rectify the (list) to perhaps clarify whether that was the intent or whether the and in that sentence actually means both need to be ready before it's implemented.

So I guess that's one of the main edits. And then some of Avri's point, I did realize that it was a little bit convoluted the first time around. I added an example of which I think might (eliminate) the issue a little bit better.

Bart Boswinkel: Edmon this is Bart. The decision is - I don't know the agenda for the GNSO council, but I know decision is (out), so has it maintained on the 20th of December.

Man: (I just checked) so you know. (There) will be tables on that meeting.

Edmon Chung: Thank you, Bart. So unless there are any further comments on the letter, the motion or the process, I wonder...

Avri Doria: Can I ask a question? You said - this is Avri. You said you changed the first point. I guess - is that in a version that's later than the one you sent us yesterday?

Edmon Chung: Yes. I just added the (word) - well actually it was in the version earlier as well.

Avri Doria: Okay, I saw your example.

Edmon Chung: I just added the word clarify.

Avri Doria: Right. No, I was thinking on the first issue of the - did they link or did they not link and I tend to think they didn't. You still say, "And should be rectified." Or did you change that and should be, "Clarified?"

Edmon Chung: I must've attached the wrong version.

Avri Doria: Okay, because the one I'm looking at says...

Edmon Chung: (Because it) should say, "Rectify and/or clarify."

Avri Doria: Okay. Then I'm looking at an older version. No problem.

Edmon Chung: So that was the part where I updated it.

Avri Doria: Great. Thanks.

((Crosstalk))

Edmon Chung: ...is sent to the council. If not, I'll double-check and make sure.

Bart Boswinkel: Can you make sure that you send the latest version you have, even if you put on the date of today that everybody's aware we're talking from the same version...

((Crosstalk))

Edmon Chung: That's probably a good idea. I'll certainly do that. I'll make sure everything is in order and revise the dates so that it reflects today.

Bart Boswinkel: Yes. Otherwise...

((Crosstalk))

Edmon Chung: And (send it).

Bart Boswinkel: Yes.

Edmon Chung: Okay. So I guess with that we'll move to the third item, which is the interim report for universal acceptance of (IDN TLD).

So I guess...

Avri Doria: Did we lose him?

Edmon Chung: Hello? Hello? Am I still on?

Avri Doria: Yes, now I hear you.

Edmon Chung: Hello?

Okay, as you can hear I'm in the train, so...

Avri Doria: I can hear you. This is Avri (unintelligible).

Edmon Chung: So basically - all right. So in terms of that item, I think we have been raising the issue in the last quite a number of meetings. And also further soliciting, you know, input on and really (stocktaking) of the issues that should be considered in (Dakar). As mentioned in the meeting after (Dakar), I think we should finalize it and get into sort of the questions that we have identified and put it out for public comment in the interim report.

So I sent around a new version today basically changing the - adding some write-ups to the (point forum) that was in there previously. And I guess we'll circulate this sort of last call within the working group and look to have it published for public comments.

So that's the idea at this point. I wonder if anyone wants to add to it or see any issues in the report that you want to raise and talk about?

Bart Boswinkel: Edmon, this is Bart. I just...

Edmon Chung: Yes, go ahead.

Bart Boswinkel: ...in the (unintelligible) some say were procedural issues. I will send out a - (say) my comments - a version with my comments to you and (Jan). Or I could send it to the whole (JIG) and say, "Once you finalize it I'll ensure that it will get published on the public comment pages and then open the public forum."

Edmon Chung: Okay. Either way is fine. I guess process-wise that in a sense will circulate it for less and put it out for the comments - the basic content of the - it provides some background and explanation (unintelligible).

Bart Boswinkel: You're fading, Edmon.

Edmon Chung: So two of the more -- I guess -- (global) policy items is whether there are any policy items. And of course the budget items, whether it is, you know, in a way it's a policy, but I guess it's a question of whether the community would like to ask ICANN to allocate the (site) budget for promoting universal acceptance of (IDN TLD).

So that's the document. I think, you know, I hope those on the call and also those on (unintelligible) would take a look at it and provide comments and thoughts. It's not a very long document at this point, most of them are questions to go out to the community besides the historical background information in the first section.

Avri, Rafik, any thoughts or feedback on the document itself or in the process or have you had the chance to take a look at (in depth)?

Avri Doria: This is Avri. I haven't looked at it yet. (I'll) do it this week.

Edmon Chung: Okay. So I guess in terms of process, that's the idea. We'll put it up for (final) call. And Avri, if you have some time it'd be great if you could provide some comments and edits to it. Right now it's somewhat crude because it is (presented) to be (internal) or to seek further input to the issues.

So I guess with that and hopefully not too annoying, noisy background from being on a (train) background...

Avri Doria: Lost you again.

Bart Boswinkel: Yes.

Avri Doria: Good thing we're almost done.

Bart Boswinkel: Maybe he's (taking) tunnels.

Nathalie Peregrine: Hello, this is Nathalie. Edmon's line has just disconnected.

Avri Doria: Okay. I guess we're done.

Bart Boswinkel: I think we are, Avri.

Avri Doria: So nice talking to you all.

Bart Boswinkel: Okay, bye Avri.

Avri Doria: Bye.

Nathalie Peregrine: All right. (Louise), could you stop the recording please? Thank you.

Bart Boswinkel: Bye Rafik.

Rafik Dammak: Bye-bye.

Bart Boswinkel: Bye Nathalie.

END