

**Vertical Integration PDP Working Group
TRANSCRIPTION
Monday 08 November 2010 at 18:00 UTC**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of Vertical Integration PDP Working Group meeting on Monday 08 November 1800 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at:

<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-vi-pdp-20101108-en.mp3>

On page: <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#nov>
(transcripts and recordings are found on the calendar page)

Participants on the Call:

Contracted Parties House Registrars Stakeholder Group

Paul Diaz
Jeff Eckhaus
Krista Papac

gTLD Registries Stakeholder Group

Keith Drazek Ken Stubbs
Kathy Kleiman

Commercial Stakeholders Group

Mikey O'Connor – CBUC- Co-Chair
Berry Cobb – CBUC
Jon Nevett – CBU
Ron Andruff - CBUC– CBUC
Scott Austin - IPC

Non Commercial Stakeholders Group

Avri Doria

Individuals Jothan Frakes

Eric Brunner-Williams Phil Buckingham Katrin Ohlmer Richard Tindall

ALAC/At Large Cheryl Langdon-Orr

Siva Muthusamy

Staff: Mike Zupke Margie Milam

Glen de Saint Géry

Apologies: Roberto Gaetano – Individual - Co-Chair

Baudoin Schombe – At Large Kristina Rosette – IPC Sébastien Bachollet – ALAC

Volker Greimann

Jeff Neuman

Coordinator: Thank you all parties for standing by. Today's conference is being recorded, if you have any objections you may disconnect. Thank you, please begin your conference.

Glen de Saint Géry: Thank you. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening everyone. This is the Vertical Integration call on Monday the 8th of November. And on the call we have Eric Brunner-Williams, Katrin Ohlmer, Scott Austin, Keith Drazek, Richard Tindal, Paul Diaz, Krista Papac, Jothan Frakes, Jeffrey Eckhaus, Phil Buckingham, Avri Doria, Jon Nevett, Ron Andruff, Berry Cobb, Mikey O'Connor, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Siva Muthusamy.

And for staff we have Mike Zupke, Margie Milam and myself, Glen de Saint Géry. And just let me see if anybody has joined in the meantime after Richard? No. And we have apologies from Roberto Gaetano, Kristina Rosette, Volker Greimann and perhaps Sébastien Bachollet because he is traveling and may not be able to join the call.

May I remind you all please to say your name before you speak? Thank you. And over to you Mikey.

((Crosstalk))

Mikey O'Connor: Kathy Kleiman just joined so you can add her to the list. And I think Baudouin is - Schombe is giving us regrets. He's put something...

Glen de Saint Géry: I'm sorry, that's quite right. He's - yes, thank you.

Mikey O'Connor: Okay. Well welcome all. As always our first agenda item is for anybody who would like to update their SOI or their DOI. So I'll just take a pause on that. Okay.

And today's agenda is pretty monolithic, it's basically to take a look at the draft of the interim report that Margie circulated to the list sort of mid to late last week and hopefully we can breeze through that, put our thumbprint on it, submit it off to the powers that be so that it can make it into the agenda for Cartagena.

So I - read the report I found one incredibly minor typo which I have already pushed along to Margie but other than that I'm pretty much fine with the report. And I think what we'll do is we'll spend the time working through it to get your comments and ideas and hopefully wrap it up today. Krista, go ahead.

Krista Papac: Sorry, Mikey. Were you asking if anybody needs to update their SOI/DOI?

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah.

Krista Papac: Okay so I definitely need to do that. I'm just looking for the - as you know I sent you an email off-list but looking for the description of what those things need to be and then I'll send that out to the group.

Mikey O'Connor: Terrific, thanks. And maybe Glen can push that along to you. I don't know the exact format these days but Glen could you and Krista maybe touch bases and get the needful...

Glen de Saint Géry: I'll do that. I'll do that. I'll send you the form, Krista.

Krista Papac: Perfect, thank you.

Mikey O'Connor: Okay well there you are. Does anybody have thoughts, comments, suggestions, changes, etcetera to the report? I'm disinclined to go through it item by item unless people really, really, really want to do that. But, you know, if folks have read it and have suggestions for changes this is the time to get them in.

Go ahead Ron.

Ron Andruff: Thanks Mikey. Ron Andruff. I just wanted to - I don't have any problems with the report itself. I reviewed it as well and I think Margie did a pretty good job of capturing, you know, the general sentiments of the group. But I just wanted to kind of get a sense of - we're talking here about Phase 1 and Phase 2 and we've more or less defined what that is but we haven't sharpened that up too much.

And then there was some talk this morning on the list about losing one of our co-chairs and then also you had suggested that you might have to leave as well. So the question of the reset element - that's what I'm trying to understand. And maybe we could focus a little bit on that because if there's a reset and the two co-chairs are leaving is that a reset or are we just starting a whole new group? So I just wanted to throw that out there and get a sense from everyone else where they're at. Thank you.

Mikey O'Connor: Thanks Ron. I hope that losing co-chairs doesn't mean total destruction for the group. I would hope to think that the group lives on irrespective of, you know, who runs the meetings and so on. So I don't view that as anything except sort of personal life interventions.

You know, for both of us, you know, this is taking a lot of time. And at least for me and Roberto we both have things that are going on after Cartagena that we had no idea we were going to be still hard at it at this time. So I hope it doesn't mean that but we can see. Eric, go ahead.

Eric Brunner-Williams: Oh thank you Mikey. This is Eric Brunner-Williams. I'm responding to Ron. The co-chairs are just volunteers like the rest of us. And the replacement of co-chairs is not a - doesn't really affect the status of the group, it doesn't reduce our collective memory and doesn't change our agenda, thank you.

Mikey O'Connor: Thanks Eric, couldn't have said it better. Avri, go ahead. Oh you may be muted, Avri. Let's see, let me check.

Avri Doria: Well thank you.

Mikey O'Connor: Oh there we go.

Avri Doria: I probably should've just put my hand down as soon as Eric spoke because I agree. As long as we have a charter that still has work items that haven't been done, you know, while I may not be strongly happy about changing co-chairs, you know, that's something you can do in a working group; that doesn't stop it from existing.

So I don't think a reset is the same as needing a new start to the group with a new charter or with a new issues report and all that stuff. Thanks.

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah, I think that's right. That's certainly the intent of what's in the report is - well Margie, go ahead.

Margie Milam: Yeah sure, this is Margie. I just wanted to highlight your attention for those of you that haven't looked through the report that on Page 25 on your screen is a little box that has all the different steps with respect to the reset approach. And this originated from Berry Cobb's email.

And if you look - if you glance through the items that are in that box it does talk about an opportunity for co-chair changes and an opportunity to revise the charter.

Mikey O'Connor: Thanks Margie. Any other comments on the report? Ron, does that sort of circle back around to what you were...

Ron Andruff: Indeed, yes. Indeed, Mikey, thank you very much. And I was just looking at that chart that Margie pointed us to and so that does cover the base. Thanks very much.

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah, you bet. Berry, the author of the chart, go ahead.

Berry Cobb: Thanks Mikey, this is Berry. I just wanted to also kind of in response to Margie making note of that I myself haven't had a chance to review the report but then realized that my interim kind of plan was going to be included in that.

But other than just being noted as just some activity that's gone on in the working group that last messaging of the interim report that, Margie, you had sent out the last bullet specifically calls out the GNSO Council will need to determine how to proceed with respect to Phase 2.

If that's like our main message going forward then I'm not sure there's anything else for us to do until we hear back from the GNSO after we submit this initial report. Is that correct? Kind of the ball is in their court whether there is a Phase 2 or not?

Mikey O'Connor: I think...

Berry Cobb: It sounds like to me Phase 1 is shutting down, we're going to toss it back to GNSO Council and then just go from there not that necessarily a Phase 2 may or may not (unintelligible) that's the message I'm getting, yes?

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah, I think that's a correct reading of the message. Margie is your hand up from before or is that a new hand?

Margie Milam: I just want to clarify. This is Margie. This is for those of you that didn't have a chance to thumb through 100 pages and I understand that. Essentially what the report says is there's no consensus on what the next steps are for Phase 2. And then there's a disagreement within the working group as to whether they should adopt a reset approach like suggested in the box or shut, you know, or terminate the PDP all together.

So I have just merely highlighted the differences of opinion and noted that there is no consensus. And because there is no consensus I note that the GNSO Council needs to decide in the absence of consensus from the working group on what the next steps would be. So that's essentially the theme of - the closing theme of the paper.

Berry Cobb: Thank you Margie. Thanks.

((Crosstalk))

Mikey O'Connor: Thanks Berry. Any other thoughts about the report? As I say I went through it and was pretty comfortable with it. I found one incredibly minor typo so I could prove to Margie that I'd read it. And I'm quite proud of that. But in general I think this captures where we're at and where we're going. Eric, go ahead.

Eric Brunner-Williams: Thank you Mikey. This is Eric Brunner-Williams again. I'd like not to think that any PDP activity that did not have consensus at the point that it generated an element of its work product or report in particular was inviting a revisiting of its charter by its chartering organization.

I don't think that the (value) to obtain consensus at this particular moment is terribly significant nor do I think that communicating so in a written work product is particularly significant. So I'm not of the same mind that the natural outcome of this is to sit on our hands and wait for the council to decide what to do. Thank you.

Mikey O'Connor: Thanks Eric. Any other thoughts? The sense that I'm getting is that this is good enough; that this is a report that we can instruct Margie forward on along. Avri, go ahead.

Avri Doria: Yeah, hi, sorry it took me so long to respond.

Mikey O'Connor: No worries.

Avri Doria: I think there's a space between sitting on our hands and doing nothing and getting feedback from the GNSO. I - excuse me. I - if we put out this report we'll be putting it out in the near future I would assume, hopefully after this meeting, maybe longer, I don't know. We've only got a few weeks until we're in Cartagena.

Now I don't know whether we'd have this done in time to have some motion on their table for their next meeting of course that meetings on Wednesday. Or whether this was just something that would be discussed in Cartagena.

But if we put this out we get opinions, we get feedback and then we start up again it seems to me an appropriate order of things. So leaving it ambiguous about whether we need to be re-chartered or not, leaving that up to the council in its management role doesn't leave us sitting on our hands all that long, it's sort of for the next few weeks.

So I'm not sure I understand. I think there's a space between, you know, doing nothing, saying we're done or going to the council with a relatively accurate review of where we are and saying hey folks what do you think should happen and so on. I think it's a reasonable thing to stick our managers with.

Mikey O'Connor: Yeah that's sort of my reaction. And, you know, just in terms of timing I - the timing to get something to the council for their next meeting is this Wednesday. I wasn't thinking of that timing. But if indeed the report stands as drafted we could go ahead and submit it to the council for that meeting.

I was really thinking in terms of the Cartagena meeting in terms of trying to get this wrapped up by a week from today. But as I say if we are close enough that we can wrap it up today and forward it that would be great, that would give the council another bite at the apple to sort of think about this a bit and begin discussing it.

So I agree, I don't think that we necessarily have a real long period of inactivity. On the other hand the council could say well, you know, let's wait. But I agree I think that the managers of the process need to weigh in at this point.

Okay I'm going once on the grand auction. And I think part of this is testimony to the job that Margie did; I think she did a very good job on this report. And, you know, there's nothing like whipping out 100 page revision in three days. So that's pretty good.

So going twice, sort of last call. I'm not seeing any hands up. So I think we'll call this report agreed to. We'll put it out to the list and let them know, you know, we always have to alert the list that this is the way we're going. But

we've already sent a note to the list on this report and haven't gotten a whole lot of feedback.

So I think this is the moment; this is the point where we put our thumbprint on it and say yea verily. I agree with Cheryl who's applauding. Margie, go ahead.

Margie Milam: Oh that's nice, Cheryl, thank you. Just one question when would you like me to publish this? Would you like me to publish it in time to be sent to the council before their next meeting so that would be I guess tomorrow or the next day?

Mikey O'Connor: Well I think that would be lovely. Why don't we try to publish it close of business tomorrow which would hit the deadline for the meeting? And we'll alert the list that we're going to do that so that if anybody's got a serious issue that they need to raise they have time to raise it. But other than that I'm fine with publishing it in time to get on the agenda for the next council meeting.

I think the more opportunities the council has to see this and react to it the better because maybe they can work through their thinking process and we can have a pretty substantive discussion in Cartagena about what's next. So let's go ahead and do that.

Margie Milam: Okay.

Mikey O'Connor: Okay well that's all I got. If anybody's got anything else, any other business? This is a record call, 12:22 by my clock here in Minnesota. But I think it's - I think it's a fine piece of work, Margie, and I think it's a very good statement of where we're at and a good platform to sort of figure out what's next.

And with that I'll give you back an hour and 10 minutes, people. Thanks a lot for joining the call. I'll - I don't think in this case we'll have a call next week. I see no reason to.

Ken Stubbs: Mikey?

Mikey O'Connor: Ken, go ahead.

Ken Stubbs: Yeah, why don't you say this, why don't we not plan on having a call at this time but let's stay open let's say through Thursday or Friday to see if there is a need for the group in any way to meet with regards to the outcome of the board retreat for last weekend?

Because we have no idea what's happening or what has happened there yet. And it may be worth some sort of a call just to talk somebody off the bridge or something like that. Like him saying that - whatever it may be.

Mikey O'Connor: Well that seems like a reasonable approach. So we'll tentatively say no call but we'll hold the option open and if something comes up that seem worthy people can hit the list and we'll light the call back up.

But I think tentatively let's say no call unless excitement ensues. And we'll call it a day. All righty well thanks folks. I've had a great time. I'm, you know, as you saw on the list I'm joining the exodus of the co-chairs. I plan to continue on in the group but we'll figure out lots of stuff in Cartagena.

So with that it's over now. Thanks and see you in Cartagena.

Eric Brunner-Williams: Thank you Mikey.

((Crosstalk))

Ken Stubbs: Bye, bye, guys.

((Crosstalk))

Mikey O'Connor: (Carol), if you're still with us I think you can end the recording.

END