

**GNSO
Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC) Constituency Operations Work
Team 27 August 2010 at 13:00 UTC**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC) Constituency Operations Work Team teleconference 06 August 2010 at 13:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at:

<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-constituency-ops-20100827.mp3>

On page: <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#aug>

Participants present:

Olga Cavalli – NCA – Work Team Chair

Rafik Dammak – NCSG

Debra Hughes – NCSG

ICANN Staff

Julie Hedlund

Glen de Saint Gery

Apologies:

Tony Harris – ISPCP

Victoria McEvedy – IPC

Krista Papac – Registrar SG

Michael Young – Registries SG

Olga Cavalli: Thank you so much. Good morning, evening, everyone. Thanks for joining. Julie, please be so kind to help me do a role call?

Julie Hedlund: Certainly. And Olga, this would be an appropriate time -- I think -- to mention that we have new procedures that were agreed to as part of the GNSO Council Operating Procedures on the 5th of August.

And those procedures contain a procedure for work team and working group members to update their Disclosures of Interest or to provide Disclosures of Interest at the beginning of working group and work

team meetings. This is a brief procedure. It's not meant to be onerous. The point is that work team or working group members should speak up if they have any interest that may have bearing on the discussion on - at this current meeting.

And the way that this was handled yesterday at the GNSO Council call is, as we made the roll call then the working group or Work Team Chair could ask at the same time whether or not the members have any Disclosures of Interest related to the call.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you, Julie. So, go ahead.

Gisella Gruber-White: Sorry to interrupt, Olga. Rafik has just come back on the call.

Olga Cavalli: Great. Hello Rafik.

Rafik Dammark: Hey, Olga.

Julie Hedlund: So Olga if you like, I could go ahead and do a roll call and at the same time, and since Rafik has just joined, but I think he's familiar with this procedure as it was handled yesterday in the GNSO Council. But, there is the - it's a brief procedure of asking if there are any Disclosures of Interest relating to the matters at hand, so as I proceed through the roll call, I will ask each...

Olga Cavalli: Okay...

Julie Hedlund: ...member to indicate whether or not there are any Disclosures of Interest relating to this call.

Olga Cavalli: Perfect. Perfect.

Rafik Dammark: Hey, Julie?

Julie Hedlund: Yes.

Rafik Dammark: We just - we are already started in another working group to do that, so (unintelligible)...

Julie Hedlund: I'm not sure I'm following you, Rafik?

Rafik Dammark: Sorry?

Julie Hedlund: I'm sorry. What was your comment?

Rafik Dammark: That we started this roll call in another working group about the Disclosure of Interest in the working - joint working group on assisting new applicants from developing countries.

Julie Hedlund: Oh, I see. And so, you're saying you're familiar with it. I assumed you were, but I just repeated it since you had just joined the call...

Rafik Dammark: Oh.

Julie Hedlund: ...so you would understand what we were doing. And so since - well, I will start with the Chair. Olga Cavalli.

Olga Cavalli: Hi. Good morning. Good evening. My interest - I'm very much interested in enhancing the outreach of ICANN, and I am involved in

several outreach activities related with Internet Governance. So, part of that experience could be used for ICANN.

Julie Hedlund: Thank you, Olga. Rafik Dammark?

Rafik Dammark: As this greater interest is to bring more new people from developing countries to be involved with - on ICANN.

Julie Hedlund: Thank you very much, Rafik. Debra Hughes?

Debra Hughes: Good morning. Good afternoon. Good evening. I have a very keen interest in outreach. As part of - one of the reasons I was asked to even consider seeking appointment for the GNSO Council was because of the need to get more not-for-profit organizations engaged in ICANN, and I was fortunate enough to join as an appointed Councilor. And part of that remit is to make sure that we reach out to not-for-profit organizations.

And as part of that, I have been very aggressively outreaching to not-for-profit organizations. So, I wanted to let the Committee know and this workgroup know that I am very, very interested and very involved in outreach activities.

Julie Hedlund: Thank you very much, Debbie. And then just as following the roll call, the other members on the call are from staff. We have Glen de Saint Géry and Julie Hedlund.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you very much, Julie. Thank you.

Julie Hedlund: (Back to you), Olga.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you so much. The idea for the call today is we have a received comments from (Krista), (Chuck), and (Michael) in relation with the document. And then, (Claudio) sent several comments, which I think are very interesting to talk about, but they're -- in my modest opinion -- more related with the general purpose of the document and of the committee.

So my suggestion would be, if we can focus on the revised reduction of the document and see what (Chuck), (Krista), and (Michael) have suggested, and then perhaps if we have time, discuss about (Claudio)'s suggestion or questions, or maybe we can discuss those which are more a higher level idea in our list. I don't know if we will have the time today to address (Claudio)'s comments.

I did answer him yesterday, maybe you had the chance to see it, because I think his concerns are okay, but I think he's - he has a different point of view and perhaps we can help him giving him some information to revise his position.

And there may be a moment that we may decide to go ahead or not with the document following - if there are people that think like (Claudio) that this idea of having a committee is not good, or if most of us think that it's a good idea to present the document. But, this may be doing - I mean, we can do this in the list.

Does it sound okay? Okay, hear silence, I'll take silence as a yes. And let's go to the document.

First comment addition is in Page 2, "The committee should develop outreach at the, blah, blah, blah, blah." And there is a comment from (Chuck) I think identifies (unintelligible) participants and target populations and develop a plan for (reach) in this population and identify programs that (were served and) that could be used or developed to (take) this strategy. (What does the) comments - let me make it larger.

Rafik Dammark: Sorry. Olga, which page?

Olga Cavalli: The second page.

Julie Hedlund: It's actually - this I Julie, it's actually Page 3.

Olga Cavalli: Oh...

Rafik Dammark: Three?

Olga Cavalli: ...you're right. It's Page 3. I'm sorry. It says, "Members of what? Don't we mean participants here and possibly elsewhere in the document where members are mentioned?" It's a very good comment.

So, I think it's from (Chuck), right?

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie. Yes, that's correct, Olga.

Olga Cavalli: So, he's saying that we're talking about members and he's saying that we should talk about participants.

Debra Hughes: I agree with the change. This is Debbie. I'm sorry. I agree with that.

Olga Cavalli: Yeah, me too. Rafik, are you okay with talking about participants and not members?

Rafik Dammark: Oh, yeah. Sure.

Olga Cavalli: Great. So Julie, please could you then review the document and make the changes in all the documents?

Julie Hedlund: Right. I will accept that change. Thanks.

Olga Cavalli: And then, he changes, "Should by code," which is okay as we are talking everything to the future. Okay, then this is the last paragraph in Page 3, which has an addition from (Chuck).

He says, "This is one option, why not include others as well that may be outside the academic community, local (ISO) chapters, local chapters of the Chamber of Commerce?" And it says, "One starting point for outreach in those communities or regions not engaged in the GNSO could be to select one University in the region that could provide a contact person with whom the committee could engage."

This is the text that I added. My intention was to give it a certain academic level to - and a certain formality focus in the academic community, which is not engaged in ICANN almost nothing. So, I don't know what - I was thinking about the comment because then it says, "This relationship could benefit the University and ICANN. Other starting points can include (unintelligible)."

We can include the text that it's - in the second part of the paragraph, "This relationship could benefit the University and ICANN, other starting points can include (local) Internet Society Chapters, local (business) (has decision), local members of the non-government, other office branch of the United Nations."

My opinion is that (ISO) chapters are already involved in ICANN activities. By the way, all the (ISO) chapters participate or have the chance to participate in the ccTLDs, the planning that ICANN supports somehow (First Temple) in Latin America. But, this has not been so much promoting outreach. That exists already.

And what - it doesn't exist is the Universities, so my intention was to focusing more on the academic universe, but I am open to comments.

Debra Hughes: Olga, this is Debbie. I'm thinking maybe we make these two paragraphs and have one paragraph focused on outreach in the academic sector. And then, kind of what like you've mentioned and the second section say, in addition, you know, ICANN could consider outreach outside of the academic community in organizations such as, and then include this list.

That way we're getting - I mean I hear exactly what you're saying, but I'm trying to think is there a way to strike a balance between that there may be a need to reach out -- for example -- to local Chambers of Commerces, or local - other - I mean, because there's other organizations that we can list in this section, because of the - it' a feeling here.

And I think that's what we've been talking about is that there's been a lot of outreach already to the ccTLD community and that sort of stuff, but we don't want to dilute what we're trying to do with the academic community by adding it maybe up top. But, maybe we add what (Chuck)'s suggesting towards the end in this other section...

Olga Cavalli: Oh, (unintelligible)...

Debra Hughes: ...so that we're not saying that outreach to those organizations isn't important, it's just, you know, it - we think that outreach in the academic areas is needed and not present, but then in addition ICANN can also do this other outreach over here.

Olga Cavalli: I think, Debbie, your comment is very good. And by the way, if you look at how it's written we could add - we could separate the paragraph into two parts and enhance like there is this side of enhancing the academic side, and then not excluding other chances of his mention here.

So, I think it's a good idea. So Julie, could you please...

Rafik Dammark: Olga?

Julie Hedlund: Sure.

Rafik Dammark: So, I think what we can do that the same idea can be done for other, like we say that for academic that there is one University (unintelligible), for business maybe one Chamber of Commerce, et cetera. So, we define that for each maybe community that there is a kind of focal point or local contact in the region.

And - but it just - I'm not sure about ccTLD. CcTLD, they don't even - some of them they don't even (import in the) ccNSO, so I'm not sure what - how will we - how and why we need to bring them to the GNSO.

Olga Cavalli: No, my apologies. I mentioned the ccTLD in this issue because what - this and Latin America, the only activity - outreach activity that ICANN does is it related with training with - through ccTLD. So, what I was mentioning is that - and that is done and cooperation with (unintelligible), and that is fine. I'm okay with that.

And by the way, if you look at the work that the local (ISP) Chamber does, it's - you know, they're very active in ICANN, but not other chambers. So, adding other chambers could be a good idea.

Rafik Dammark: Anyway, we can (say) that we need the - a focal contact for each community for those communities in the region. And we can give like one University in the region -- as an example -- it's - we give it a (unintelligible) we - about the idea and I think it can work.

So, we can't - and then relate all this (unintelligible) chapters, et cetera, et cetera. And then, when we give the example (unintelligible) that we - could be - select one University in the region and so on.

Olga Cavalli: You mean mentioning the University in the document?

Rafik Dammark: Yeah. If - that - the idea that we can add - that we are not just focusing in only - in academic community, we (enumerate) all these localized chapters, local chapter of Chamber of Commerce (et cetera), but when we give example, we give that one University (too) that we can

highlight about academic community. It's kind of -- what do you say -- it's a compromise, so we can talk about others, but also we can highlight that it's for academic (unintelligible).

Olga Cavalli: I personally like more the - Debbie's approach that has suggested it's dividing, if I understood you correctly, Debbie, we could split the text in two parts. One is specifically talking about Universities, and then other starting points can include local. So, having other chances is not prohibited (if it's open there that - the chance.)

But, making a special mention about Universities as a separate paragraph, it's - this is what you mentioned, Debbie, right?

Debra Hughes: Yes, that's right. What I was saying is what we - maybe, Julie, we can add some stronger language that says, you know, "The work group really feels that the academic community has - that there's a true opportunity to increase outreach in the academic communities. Indeed the work group hasn't seen such in the past and we think that this is an important area to focus much of the efforts of this outreach effort," or something like that, right?

And then, talk a lot about what we've said in the academic community, and then do maybe perhaps another paragraph that says, "In addition, there are other, you know, organizations that should benefit from outreach efforts of this activities," and then list the others.

Does that make sense, Julie?

Julie Hedlund: Yeah. I'll add a sentence, although I think that we do say that somewhere in there about the...

Debra Hughes: That's what I thought...

Julie Hedlund: ...the University, but then I - what I've done is I've separated it. I've just added - I just took (Chuck)'s information that he added and just separated - made it as a separate paragraph following...

Debra Hughes: Yeah.

Julie Hedlund: ...the section on outreach to Universities.

Debra Hughes: There you go.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. Fantastic. Then we have 2.1.1, (Chuck) says, "I am not sure that the committee will be an authority," so...

Debra Hughes: (Unintelligible).

Olga Cavalli: ...he (changes) by body.

Debra Hughes: And so, Olga, this is Debbie. This again goes back to - you know, to the questions that I kind of, you know, have just generally raised wondering - you know, again this was just an idea that we, you know, threw out there and thought made sense. I mean, a way to kind of coordinate all these activities.

And I've read (Claudio)'s comments and (Chuck)'s comments as well and I don't know how committees are created or not created within ICANN, and I am the first to admit that I am a newcomer to the inner-workings of ICANN.

I guess taking a half a step back; I don't have a problem with changing the word authority to body. I guess what I would want to make sure that everybody understood is I think what we're trying to propose is a way to - a more formalized way to coordinate all the outreach efforts within ICANN.

If we call it a committee, if we call it a group, I mean we can call it whatever we want to call it, but I think the most important thing that I would like to say at this point is that I think there's value to having a formalized something that is used to coordinate these efforts.

And if it's too offensive to the political landscape of ICANN to call it an official committee then, you know, I think, you know, we can have that discussion. But, I think certainly there's a value to having something set up that coordinates all these bodies.

And so, I'm not caught up in the language and whether or not we have the ability to, you know, say that a committee is authoritative and that sort of thing, and I'm - I guess I'm - that's where I'm coming from on this section, and then the related comments about the committee.

Olga Cavalli: Debbie, is there another word? And I'm not a native English speaker, perhaps lighter than authority, but stronger than body?

Debra Hughes: What I was thinking is...

Olga Cavalli: Because that's - I - but - because your concern is - I agree with your concern.

Debra Hughes: Yeah, I think - this is Debbie, again. What I was thinking is what we could do with this section, and I defer to Julie to kind of help me here, is you know it doesn't have to be in what we call it. It can be in how we describe it.

So, you know, if we create a committee that - committee to provide a centralized body in the GNSO we could say - I just want to figure out a way to say that the community would recognize this centralized body as being, I don't want to say the definitive or authoritative source, but like this would be the "approved" place where all coordinated activities occur.

And I don't know, I'm struggling with how to do that without making it, you know, an official committee that needs to be created and that sort of thing. But that the work group would ask - or the work team is asking that ICANN supports the creation of a committee that would be a centralized body where the community agrees that all of these activities are coordinated.

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie. I would avoid the whole issue of centralized authority or centralized body. I mean, it - what we're asking for is a committee to be formed. If there is agreement that there is a committee and agreement with what that committee does, then based on the mission of the committee it will become, you know - I mean it will be a, you know, sort of a - I don't want to say it - it will be an entity.

But, let me suggest this language for that first sentence. The purpose of the committee is to coordinate, recommend, consolidate, and assist with the execution of the GNSO's outreach objectives.

Olga Cavalli: Debbie?

Debra Hughes: I like that.

Olga Cavalli: Yeah. Okay.

Julie Hedlund: I mean, because it is - if everybody agrees, you know, that there should be a committee and this is the purpose of the committee, and it's purpose is to coordinate, recommend, and consolidate with the execution of outreach objectives then it essentially becomes a centralized authority, but we don't have to say that here.

Debra Hughes: That's right.

Julie Hedlund: (With that) based on how we define it.

Olga Cavalli: I'm okay with it. Rafik?

Rafik Dammark: (But), it's a way to coordination, I think it will be centralized.

Julie Hedlund: Well, that's - I guess that's my point, Rafik, because that if we - if it is coordinating and consolidating, then it is a centralized authority. I - but I understand, and based on some of (Claudio)'s comments and - you know, that there is concern about, you know, calling something a centralized authority, but we can define what - you know, what it does based on its mission.

So, is that language okay, the purpose of the committee is to coordinate, recommend, consolidate, and assist with the execution of the GNSO's outreach objectives?

Olga Cavalli: I like it.

Debra Hughes: I like it too.

Julie Hedlund: Rafik, is that okay with you?

Rafik Dammark: Can you just repeat, please?

Julie Hedlund: Yes. The purpose of the committee is to coordinate, recommend, consolidate, and assist with the execution of the GNSO's outreach objectives.

Rafik Dammark: Yeah, that's okay.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you, Rafik. Okay, then we have in the third paragraph a new language, which was added by (Chuck) or by - was changed by whom? Julie can you see that?

Julie Hedlund: Yeah, this is by (Chuck). I think what (Chuck) did, if you'll notice he deleted Section 2.1.2.1 Mission, and then he took that text from that (unintelligible)...

Olga Cavalli: And changed the - yeah, I see. He included (unintelligible)...

Julie Hedlund: (He changed 1.1), and then expanded that to be purpose, mission, and activities, so it's all one section.

Olga Cavalli: I haven't checked word by word. I'm not sure if it has changed a lot or just moved the text into one section, which is merged with purpose, mission, and activities of the committee.

Julie Hedlund: He just moved - Olga, this is Julie. He just moved the text. He didn't change the text.

Olga Cavalli: So, it hasn't changed, so great. I like it. I think it's more clear. You like it, Debbie, or you (unintelligible)...

Debra Hughes: Yeah, I do. I want to say, I think it - I like the way this is organized. It makes a lot of sense.

Olga Cavalli: That's very (Chuck)-oriented. He's very organized when he writes the agendas and everything, so it's his style. Okay, fine. Then we have 2.1.2, are you okay with that change at - in the order, Rafik?

Rafik?

Rafik Dammark: Oh, yes.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Rafik Dammark: If I don't talk, it's okay.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. Take silence as a yes from Japan. 2.1.2 Membership of the Committee. He changed membership by what? Oh, structure. Okay. The committee, and then he change - he's (heard disagree) strategies. Oh, that's the text that he put on top, right? At the (unintelligible)...

Julie Hedlund: Yeah, he - Olga, this is Julie. What he did was, he - instead of saying, "In addition, the committee should establish a specific outreach strategy," he changed it to, "In addition, the committee should establish specific outreach strategies."

Olga Cavalli: That sounds okay. (Unintelligible), then it's just ask - (the reason) there should be someone who is involved in ICANN's communication efforts, such as the Vice President for the Communications and Marketing or his designee. That's a misspelling, designee. It is (especially) important for the committee to coordinate efforts, blah, blah, blah, and then I don't think it's appropriate for us to tell the Board how to operate.

Hello? Can you hear me?

Debra Hughes: Yeah, I'm here.

Olga Cavalli: Oh, okay.

Debra Hughes: You know, I - honestly at first I had a problem with this removal, and now that I'm thinking about it, and then also in light of - I don't know. On your version, I'm looking at (Michael)'s version, do you have the version where it says, "The Committee Membership Terms," all highlighted in green?

Olga Cavalli: Yes...

Debra Hughes: Okay.

Olga Cavalli: ...I have it, yeah.

Debra Hughes: Okay.

Olga Cavalli: Green means that it was...

Debra Hughes: (That's Chuck)?

Olga Cavalli: ...it should be gone, Julie?

Julie Hedlund: You know, I don't know, because I don't have the same colors that you have.

Olga Cavalli: Yeah.

Julie Hedlund: But I - right now...

Olga Cavalli: (Unintelligible)...

Julie Hedlund: ...if you're talking about the paragraph that starts, "The Committee Membership Terms"...

Debra Hughes: Yeah.

Julie Hedlund: ...that is in blue for me, but that means that that - that there is a comment that applies to that. And the comment that applies to that is we might want to be more specific here, e.g., two-year terms with two successive term limits.

Debra Hughes: Right. So, my comment to this section is -- again -- that push/pull that I was having in the struggle with working on this is how specific do we want to be, how specific don't we want to be?

And remember we had started with some language where we were talking about, you know, should we specifically lay those things out, and we kind of back-pedaled from that saying let's let it - you know, let's let the committee membership figure that out.

But, you know, I'm open to go either way here about whether or not we want to add term limits or successive terms or any of that.

Olga Cavalli: I wouldn't add that now and I would leave it as it is, because I think that being very specific now doesn't make any sense.

Debra Hughes: Yeah, and (unintelligible)...

Julie Hedlund: And one thing we could add if we wanted -- this is Julie -- is typically when we're starting these groups there is a drafting team that drafts a Charter for them, because of course all of these types of committees should have a charter. And we could indicate, you know, we said the work - we could say that the work team recommends the development of the charter drafting team to develop the specific terms and term limits.

Debra Hughes: Okay.

Julie Hedlund: (So we say) - we just sort of punt it, you know, to, you know, when the charter itself is being drafted, because there'll have be a charter and the charter will say what are the terms and membership of the committee.

Olga Cavalli: (I'm with you on that).

Julie Hedlund: Excellent. I like that.

Olga Cavalli: Yep. Okay, you can add in that, Julie?

Julie Hedlund: Yeah.

Olga Cavalli: One comment here says, "I don't think is it appropriate for us to tell the Board how to operate." It is talking about what? (About application) (unintelligible) to ensure that outreach GNSO committees' consideration when applicable in ICANN's communication, and to ensure consistent communication.

Where are mentioning the Board?

Debra Hughes: It was - this is Debbie. I'm sorry. The comment is related to the deletion of the sentence, "In addition, the Board Public Participation Committee shall have periodic members' meetings that are focused on the work of the committee."

In other words, we were suggesting that the Board's (PCC) committee should be involved and that they should have meetings and that they should be focused on the work of this committee that we're creating. And then, I think (Chuck) deleted that sentence and said, "I don't think..."

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Debra Hughes: ...we should be telling the Board what to do," and I'm fine with that.

Olga Cavalli: Okay, me too. 2.1.2.1, Representation of the Committee. “To the extent possible, with a small committee, the committee should include representatives from different sector of the GNSO community and (deliver to academic, commercial), and to (unintelligible) members from different geographic regions and of specific gender.”

A comment, “We might want to be more specific here.” No, we don’t. And it was - what is - what’s deleted? “The work team recommended a committee should coordinate (unintelligible) on ICANN organizations and could incorporate recommendations from the work team - recommended (unintelligible), blah, blah, blah, when they start mentioning other specifics regarding the structure of the committee voting.”

Are we okay with this deletion?

Debra Hughes: All right.

Olga Cavalli: I think it - deleting this it’s somehow being not too specific, but I’m not sure if we are okay in taking this out.

Julie Hedlund: Olga, this is Julie. I think the reason he took it out is because this section is talking about the representation on the Committee, but that the language that he deleted talks about just sort of in general what the committee should be doing that is coordinating outreach. And, we already talk about up in the mission that the Committee is coordinating outreach. So, I think he thought it was not only redundant, but then also didn’t actually have a place in this particular section.

We could move it to the section under the mission and activities if we wanted to retain it, and that's probably a better place for it.

Debra Hughes: I'm sorry. This is Debbie. Are you talking about the deletion that begins, "The work team recommends"...

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Debra Hughes: That's already moved. He already moved it.

Julie Hedlund: Oh, okay. Then that is...

Debra Hughes: Yes. I'm sorry. I was talking and I didn't realize I had it on mute. I'm sorry. He moved it up there. Yes.

Olga Cavalli: Great.

Julie Hedlund: That's what he did Olga. He moved it because...

Olga Cavalli: Okay. No problem.

Julie Hedlund: ...he didn't get (any reaction).

Olga Cavalli: Okay. No problem. Fantastic. So then about another - there's so many changes here it's hard to track. Then it says, "Committee will present that they should demonstrate knowledge of the GNSO and its policies. That's okay. I don't know is changed by what. I cannot tell.

Debra Hughes: Olga, this is Debbie. I think this is related to (Krista)'s comment related to a willingness to learn about - rather than just the knowledge (unintelligible)...

((Crosstalk))

Julie Hedlund: Yes. It's suggesting it should maybe read, "Many representatives should demonstrate a willingness to learn about the GNSO and its policies and procedures."

Olga Cavalli: Are we okay with knowledge?

Julie Hedlund: Well, to replace knowledge. Her point was that rather than saying demonstrate knowledge, that you mean - you see, the understanding - I think the point is that - maybe she was making was that we don't necessarily want to have only sort of GNSO insiders on the Committee, but we would want to welcome you know people who may not you know be as knowledgeable about the GNSO but they are willing to learn about the GNSO and its policies and procedures.

Olga Cavalli: Debbie, any...

Debra Hughes: Yes. And, I certainly don't have a problem with that. I mean, that's been part of my challenge in trying to get engaged. You know if you know a little bit, but you're willing to learn, how do you ever learn if you don't get a chance to participate.

Olga Cavalli: Great.

Debra Hughes: So, I support that.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. We keep it.

So then, we have an addition or something highlighted that says, "The Board's (Primary) Participation Committee should manage the member selection process and be responsible for agreed nominations certification process on the selection of members." Is that - this is to be deleted or to be added?

Julie Hedlund: No. This is - when it's highlighted like that Olga, it means that there's a comment associated with it. This is one of Chuck's comments that says - he says, "These don't seem like appropriate tasks for a Board Committee." He says, "My first thought is that the GNSO should do these things."

Debra Hughes: So can I make a suggestion -- this is Debbie -- that we say something like the - you know, that this would be one of the tasks of the drafting team when they come up with a charter? Be like that the drafting team would put in the charter that the Committee should consider such things as - do you know what I mean Julie?

Julie Hedlund: Yes. Yes. I'm changing it right now.

Debra Hughes: Does that make sense Olga?

Olga Cavalli: Yes. Totally. Yes.

Rafik Dammark: It's Rafik. Just I am thinking that maybe when we are GNSO, it means that all stakeholders roles is to try and see we have - we participate in the selection process, like what's the case for the nom com.

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie. Rafik, what wording would you suggest? Right now, I've just changed it to the, "The Charter Drafting Team should (unintelligible) procedures for the member selection process and be responsible for," - well, I should, "Member selection process and recruitment nominations," - I've got to change this. I mean basically, the procedures for these things should be in the charter. Do we want to add something specific Rafik that says that the member selection process should include a procedure for engaging...

Rafik Dammark: Maybe if I can say the GNSO should monitor, et cetera, et cetera. And if we define all these - how it will be done. It will be through the charter, which will be the final, (final) draft. They are thinking like maybe it's too much detail. Just - like I want to highlight that if the GNSO should be - do that.

Julie Hedlund: I see. Okay. Then, I'll make sure that it says that the GNSO would be engaged in this. I'll figure out how to say it.

Olga Cavalli: I'm lost where we are?

Julie Hedlund: Well, what we're saying is that if we don't want to say - assign this to the Board Participation Committee, Chuck's point was that the GNSO should be involved in the process of member selection and recruitment, and so on, through the Charter Drafting Team. I need to write some language here saying that. I just don't know what it will be off the top of my head, but it'll be something very similar to what this paragraph says, except that we'll mention the GNSO and also the Charter Drafting Team.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. Then we have, "Committee members should cooperate with ICANN's Fellowship Selection Team to be able to invite up to ten key people to each ICANN event, who may include people who represent the (most) groups, such as leaders of academia, businesses associations, and (unintelligible)." I like this, but what we are missing - what has been changed is - I cannot tell. But I like the language.

Rafik Dammark: I think it just checks -- how to say -- if you phrase it like (this) - he didn't change the substance of this, but...

Olga Cavalli: Okay. "The Committee should include six voting members from the GNSO constituencies and stakeholder groups as follows." And then it says, "This change could," to me, so fine. And what else. "The ICANN Regional Coordinators - how many are there? This could double the size of the Committee. Wouldn't it suffice to do invite members to participate in Committee activities on an as needed basis?"

I - in my - as far as I know, for Latin America and Caribbean, there were two and now there's only one, because the guy in Latin America left ICANN. So now, the Caribbean guy is in charge of the whole region. So, I think there may be - and I know (Baher) from Egypt - you know Rafik, (Baher) is in charge of the whole Africa - he is not from ICANN?

Rafik Dammark: (Baher) is for the Middle East, and (Unrusha) for Africa.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. Okay. I think that maybe five or six. I have no idea exactly how many of the...

Rafik Dammark: I think it's more complicated. I think for the case of Europe and for Asia, it isn't a - it's more subdivision. I think that there is (Vinnie) for - it's quite strange for this part of the world.

Olga Cavalli: Yes. But I think it's worth to have them at least related to the Committee, because they know the region. They're from there, and they're already doing some outreach activities. So, I wouldn't take it out. Debbie, what do you think?

Debra Hughes: I don't know enough about how this - these Regional Coordinators are organized to know whether or not it makes sense do what Chuck's saying. I mean, I would prefer to have as many - I would prefer to have them involved, but you know I hear what he's saying about the group being too large.

Olga Cavalli: That's a very important comment, but I think that they should be related somehow.

Debra Hughes: I agree.

Olga Cavalli: So maybe, we can say that we can take them apart and say those relationship with ICANN Regional Coordinators should be established, or something like that. Because, they are in the region and they - for example Pablo, who was our region - he was Mexico, and he was the organizer of all this gTLD trainings.

And also, he did some events about new gTLDs and all that, so he is quite aware of what is happening. So, we shouldn't collapse with their work, or cannibalize what they're doing. At the contrary, we have to enhance their work.

Debra Hughes: This is Debbie. Can we say something like, "In addition, the Committee could include ICANN staff as non-voting members in addition to coordinating with the following," and then say, "ICANN Communication Staff, ICANN Regional Coordinators." And then like leave the one staff report out because we already said ICANN staff in the previous sentence. Does that make sense?

Olga Cavalli: Yes. I like that. Sure. Totally. Are you okay with that, Julie?

Julie Hedlund: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. Fantastic. 2.1.3 suggested (unintelligible) for first year. And then these additions made by Chuck I think. "The GNSO Chair will establish a volunteer working group for GNSO Councilors to recruit the initial Committee members." That's a new one?

Julie Hedlund: That's not the new text. I think it's...

Olga Cavalli: "GNSO Chair will establish a volunteer working group..."

Julie Hedlund: Well, I think it might be a (typo).

Olga Cavalli: "...for GNSO Councilors to recruit," but it shouldn't be so formal. I don't know.

Rafik Dammark: Olga, I think that the problem that - it means that if the - how the Committee will decide for too establish (unintelligible) for equivalent - especially for creating and opening a plan and budget when it doesn't

formally (unintelligible). Maybe at this stage, it's maybe too early for the Committee or something like that. This is my understanding.

Olga Cavalli: So you would take it out?

Rafik Dammark: No. This I'm trying to understand what too.

Debra Hughes: Olga, hi. This is Debbie. I - this is a comment added by Michael, and I was thinking about this as I was reading Claudio's comments again, which are quite good. I understand where Claudio is coming from - and others, that at some point you know, the purpose of this Committee presumably would be to coordinate the existing activities that are going on within the GNSO. And that perhaps, we should use the GNSO to help recruit members to get on the Committee.

So, I like the language. Maybe it's the will that we're having a problem. Like you know, making it a mandate or - I don't have a problem asking the GNSO to help us recruit members to the Committee. I think that makes sense, and it's probably appropriate.

Olga Cavalli: What I think is complicated is establishing a volunteer working group...

Debra Hughes: (Unintelligible).

Olga Cavalli: ...I mean, it's quite complicated.

Debra Hughes: Oh, I see what you're saying. You're talking about the actual establishing of a working group.

Olga Cavalli: Yes. Something that...

Debra Hughes: I guess I see something on - I see what you're saying.

Olga Cavalli: I think that GNSO should recruit among the GNSO community the people that (work). That's it.

Rafik, go ahead.

Rafik Dammark: Olga. I think that we already said before that the GNSO will do all this stuff. That should (unintelligible) the member selection process and be responsible for the recruitment, termination and application process, et cetera. So maybe, at least establish a date of recruitment if what is said - contradictory to what we say, the GNSO is responsible.

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie. I think we said earlier that we were going to say that the GNSO is involved and also talk about the Drafting Team setting up the procedures for recruitment. I could make sure that what we say previously -- which I haven't had a chance to draft yet -- would be consistent with what we say here.

Rafik Dammark: I think we can strike this part, because we already - GNSO will manage that.

Olga Cavalli: Debbie?

Debra Hughes: Yes. Okay.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: Fine. So is Number 2, that Recruitment Working Group will - that should go establish a date for completion of recruitment efforts for member of the Committee. I'm not sure we have to say this now. Establish a date for the first meeting. Establish a date for completion of the charter.

Julie Hedlund: Can we - can I make a recommendation that maybe we frame this as like this is a big part of the recommendations that the Drafting Team would put in the charter?

Olga Cavalli: Sorry. I didn't follow you.

Julie Hedlund: My question is, is - are these the types of activities or the types of details that are normally put in a charter?

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: So, should we just say it that way? That the work team recommends that the Drafting Team include the following guidance, or you know to the - I don't know. I'm stumbling on the words, but do you understand what I'm saying?

Olga Cavalli: You know what is my point - my point is the following. We are bringing new idea. First to (be able to see), then to the GNSO, and then to the whole ICANN. And, we have no idea if it will succeed or not. And now we are saying that we need the first meeting, and we need a charter, and we need a Chair, and we need a working group to select the members of the blah, blah, blah. I think it's going too far.

And once this Committee is approved -- and because it may not -- so then it will be - there will be a charter and there will be a Chair and all that. I don't think it's too complicated to handle afterwards. Or, we need this language here because it's important. That's my - it's kind of procedural question.

Rafik Dammark: Olga, I just have a question.

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Rafik Dammark: But when we talk about drafting the team, I saw that it's the GNSO Council which decide if there will be a Drafting Team or not. So maybe we (elect) - like taking decision instead of the GNSO Council about that. So maybe, just we need to say that the Committee need to (shout about it) with - after it will - managed by the GNSO Council, how maybe to start the Drafting Team. I don't know how is the fastest way.

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie. What I would suggest is perhaps taking out this section but moving a number of these things up into where we talk about that the GNSO Council would establish a Drafting - you know Charter Drafting Team. The Charter Drafting Team will include you know in the Charter procedures for you know recruitment and - you know all these things. You know, initial meetings.

I mean it's - typically when you develop a charter, the charter contains these things. It says who will be the representative. You know it says where will they - you know, we recruit the representatives, you know establishing the meeting schedule, you know membership guidelines and all those things. So maybe, that could all just be part of where we talk about the GNSO Council establishing the Drafting team.

And then it would still be in here, but it wouldn't seem as prescriptive as it does you know by having it in its own special section.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. I like it.

Debra Hughes: I like that too. I'm sorry. This is Debbie. I have got to drop off to go to another meeting.

Olga Cavalli: Yes. Me too. Don't worry.

Julie Hedlund: Yes. And I...

((Crosstalk))

Olga Cavalli: Let's do the following guys. We - where we are? Page - which page?

Julie Hedlund: We're on Page 6 of 13. So, we've (unintelligible) quite a bit...

Olga Cavalli: Okay. My proposal is the following, because I also have to leave. Julie, could you (put) the new document with all these changes sent to the list and then we try to finalize the revision next Friday? So, we have - we leave time for the rest of seeing our changes?

Julie Hedlund: I think that's a good idea, Olga. This is Julie. But, I would recommend then that you send a message to (Philip), because we had set the end of August as our deadline.

Olga Cavalli: Yes. I will. That's exactly what I was going to say.

Julie Hedlund: Okay.

Olga Cavalli: I will send the message to (Phillip) right now and tell him that we may be there with the document half of September. Is that okay?

Julie Hedlund: That's wonderful, Olga. And, I think that this is very important because I think we're getting very, very good feedback on this document. And so, this is a good way to keep us going.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Rafik Dammark: Olga?

Olga Cavalli: Yes?

Rafik Dammark: Sorry. This is half of September, but I think that we should finish early because in half of September we will be together in - I think in the (IGF). So, it will be a little bit complicated to manage to finish up the (unintelligible)...

((Crosstalk))

Olga Cavalli: Rafik, I hope to finish by next Friday. I think we may - because we had good feedback from several members of the working team. And you're right. We will be traveling, but at the same time we will be connected. So, I want to - I don't want to delay it a month more. I think it's too much. So, let's try to achieve half September goal.

Rafik Dammark: Yes. Me too. I want that, to finish (unintelligible) to go to (unintelligible).

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Okay guys, have a nice weekend. And nice to talking to you today and thanks for joining.

Julie Hedlund: Thank you very much everyone. I'll get it back and out to you a little bit later.

Olga Cavalli: Great. Thank you so much. Bye-bye.

Julie Hedlund: Bye-bye.

Rafik Dammark: Bye.

END