

**GNSO  
Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC) Constituency Operations Work  
Team  
13 August 2010 at 13:00 UTC**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC) Constituency Operations Work Team teleconference 13 August 2010 at 13:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at: <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-constituency-ops-20100813.mp3>

On page:

<http://gns0.icann.org/calendar/#aug>

Participants present:

Olga Cavalli – NCA – Work Team Chair  
Michael Young – Registries  
Rafik Dammak – NCSG

ICANN Staff

Julie Hedlund  
Gisella Gruber-White

Apologies:

Tony Harris – ISPCP  
Debra Hughes – NCSG  
Victoria McEvedy - IPC  
Krista Papac - RrSG

Gisella Gruber-White: Good morning, good afternoon everyone. On today's call we have Olga Cavalli, Rafik Dammak. From staff we have Glen de Saint Gery, Julie Hedlund, and Gisella Gruber-White.

Apologies, we have Debbie Hughes, Krista Papac and Tony Harris. And if I could also please just remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you. Over to you Olga.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you Gisella very much. Thank you for those who joined. And my proposal for today is that we reviewed some comments that Rafik sent.

We also have some comments from Julie about a question that I made after a resolution made by the board of international committee or something like that that the board decided in their last meeting.

And then I would suggest if you agree with that we check what is missing in the document.

And as I see that we have several problems in joining this call, I would suggest that we keep them working in the list.

Maybe some of us could take some responsibilities. And my apologies that I didn't do my homework this week and a half because I have been traveling and very busy but now I have more time.

So I would suggest that perhaps we can divide the - what is missing in the document and see if someone can get the responsibility of finishing them and work online because perhaps and finish one day in one call perhaps in two weeks. But I'm open to any other suggestions. Rafik, any ideas, any comments?

Rafik Dammak: Yes Olga. I think that we dispatched already (the word) because in the document there is some product that is education that's for example it's...

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Rafik Dammak: ...(meaning) and you that you have to give more comment or a (pause) that should be done by (Michael) and (Debbie). So...

Olga Cavalli: So the work division is already done?

Marika Konings: Right yes...

Rafik Dammak: I. think so yes...

Marika Konings: This is Marika, Olga. Yes it is. One of the things we discussed at last meeting and Rafik had suggested this which was a good suggestion was to call out in the document where we need input from different people which I did in yellow and highlighted the sections and noted in red type where we needed input.

And that's what Rafik has done for instance in the document is - has put in in red the new sections that he's added in the areas where we asked for additional information.

Olga Cavalli: Great. Thank you Rafik for doing your work. I didn't. I, again I just could have some deep look into the document one day and a half before and I really had no time for going and deep into it but I will do that during the next four or five days.

So my parts will be completed during this week. That's my commitment with that.

So I would suggest that now if the division of work is done and I think it's well indicated in the document that you're right with that. So that's clear.

Let's check when Rafik commented and include it in the document and have some discussion on that. And then let's check about the board and see what - how much time we have and what we decide as next steps.

Julie Hedlund: Actually Olga, this is Julie. Maybe I can just dispatch with the board item very quickly.

Olga Cavalli: Yes please, please do yes.

Julie Hedlund: And so it's a board resolution that was passed in June - or no I'm sorry, at the last board meeting last Thursday on the 5th, pardon me.

On the international dimension of ICANN the board confirms the establishment of a board Global Relationships Committee and adopts the proposed Global Relationships Committee charter.

And the board governance committee shall provide recommendations for the composition of the Global Relationship Committee.

While this sounds like an outreach committee it is not. I heard from (David Alder) out of multi-development that is actually a - the purpose of the committee is to help guide ICANN's relationship with other international organizations.

So it's - it isn't tasked with providing outreach. We haven't seen the charter yet but more as a coordinating function in ICANN's international relationship.

Olga Cavalli: Great. I think that yes, in relation with the name it sounded like that.

Julie Hedlund: It did. And we - just several of us thought so too. And in fact the question came up at one of our staff meetings this week. And we thought it did sound like an outreach group but it isn't.

And there is actually the, you know, the public participation committee of the board which we've noted, you know, in the documents of the group that we, you know, we, you know, would want to coordinate efforts with.

And that is more, you know, geared towards public, you know, participation which will be sort of more of an outreach function. So this is a different sort of committee.

Olga Cavalli: Great. Thank you very much Julie. Any comments Rafik, any question?

Rafik Dammak: I think that it just committee to work maybe with IT or (UNESCO)...

Olga Cavalli: Yes to you (UNESCO) IGFs, blah, blah, blah.

Great. Okay I'm - I have opened the document and just want to be sure what I have to do. In recommendations we have 2.1 recommendations for a global outreach strategy.

Here I need to write something with Rafik and Tony. And then there is some input from Rafik...

Rafik Dammak: I am...

Olga Cavalli: The part is red, yours Rafik?

Rafik Dammak: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: Yes the red part is what Rafik has added Olga.

Olga Cavalli: And what is green and what is yellow? It means that we have to revise it or...

Julie Hedlund: Well it's the section that we would like you to look at...

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Julie Hedlund: ...and then decide what you might want to add to it. So in Rafik's case he has added his text in red, you know, and appended it at the end of that section.

Olga Cavalli: Okay so what I will do with 2.1 Rafik if you agree is that I can check it and see if where can I add and perhaps Tony can do the same as you have made your input here?

Rafik Dammak: Yes okay.

Olga Cavalli: Great. And any comments about the text? You want us to read it or review it? It's not long? The committee issued benefiting ICANN meetings for doing local outreach incorporating with local host to target communities that may be interested in doing work within ICANN and to involve them doing ICANN meetings held in the country.

IGF represent a good example of what ICANN can do, engage local interest (their on) attendance. That shows that local represents an important person to (show) for by local attendees. Okay I get the point.

So I'm - yes, Rafik go ahead?

Rafik Dammak: That's the idea because if we compare between ICANN meetings and IGF there is big difference because you should be in the - if you remember the stats said usually the locals represent a important part of presentation for people attend the IGF when in ICANN I think that it's opposite.

We have more the usual people who can - and then it's one area that we can have improvement is to bring more locals to attend and then after maybe we need to kind of follow-up something like that that they can attend more ICANN meetings who are allowed to participate.

And also I focused it in bringing more use because if you remember for IGF Egypt there was summer school I think and also a capacity building program, et cetera.

There was many things done to help young people to attend and to understand the IG Internet governance issues. So that sounds like...

Olga Cavalli: So..

Rafik Dammak: Yes?

Olga Cavalli: What you're suggesting that ICANN meetings should be more locally focused or more - or involves more of the local community?

Rafik Dammak: It's more that if we have to work with local hosts in that purpose to see how we can attract more local people to participate and attend ICANN meeting.

So for them to - its promotion and to see how we can (unintelligible). And third - the second is to focus in newcomer training or to explain what ICANN is doing so to help them to participate.

If you remember like in IGF we have the main orientation...

Olga Cavalli: Yes I know.

Rafik Dammak: ...the first days. And we don't have really (unintelligible) I think or it's not really known. And so we can improve that anyway.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Rafik Dammak: And also that's the idea maybe then (unintelligible) to have maybe a (pre play) ICANN meetings to prepare locals for the ICANN meeting just maybe few days before ICANN meeting to start like what's happened in IGF Egypt or maybe what - it will happen to in the IGF (Victoria) but so to prepare locals to attend so they will be really aware what will happen there and they can participate fully and to understand.

And, you know, because just to attend it can be really hard and people don't feel really comfortable sometimes to try so...

Olga Cavalli: Great. I think it's a good point. So I'll take your text and perhaps they can add something more.

Rafik Dammak: Yes please feel to correct and edit because just so it's really quick. I'm not sure even but if there is type or something or (unintelligible)...

Olga Cavalli: But the essence is there.

Rafik Dammak: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: And the idea is there.

Rafik Dammak: And yes maybe to also but to pre-ICANN meeting preparations. It's important and we - so we have three ICANN meetings maybe it's more complicated than that for IGF.

But if I think like Cartagena ICANN meetings will be in December. So we have like - (so example) we have enough time to prepare with locals and to have maybe some local event before promotion at least from the region so it's more easy for people to come, need people to come.

Olga Cavalli: So you imagine some previous events in organized by the local community within - with ICANN - in associated with ICANN somehow perhaps a seminar or...

Rafik Dammak: Something it depends. It can be something informal. It's - you don't need really to have something hard to - now it depends on - it depends for each region and also what the local host can do because I think if you have already have many things to do but actually they can redirect the committee to the people that they - that we can cooperate with.

So we don't need maybe something really - we are not doing an ICANN piece meeting but just some promotion so events maybe throw something to engage locals.



And that's why I brings example like summer school. That summer school it was in Egypt and really focuses in people from the region or help us to beat this problem.

We know that the capacity with these program is for example that usually it's for during many months. But for it was kind of short for just several or a few days especially in summer. It can - it depends for what the - what are the resources of the local (unintelligible).

Olga Cavalli: Okay. But you think that ICANN should be somehow related with this event?

((Crosstalk))

Olga Cavalli: It's a proposal from the committee trying to...

Rafik Dammak: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: ...engage the local community?

Rafik Dammak: Yes. It's the community can participate as long...

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Rafik Dammak: ...because was I didn't - I think that ICANN staff are already staging to (create there). So but the committee can do the task. It's just to coordinate to see what you can do to organize something informal.

We don't need to organize big meeting (unintelligible) or similar but to see what kind of small events, something.

So it's to really open. And I don't know for example for Cartagena you (unintelligible) what can be done there or maybe two weeks, three weeks

before ICANN meeting to bring more people from the region or that's how - actually - for example when ICANN meeting in Tunisia in 2003.

Because it's sometimes it's just because the how to say, the heads CEO of the Internet agency in Tunisia was also a professor in my engineering school.

So it was easy for her to organize the really like bus or something (unintelligible) to bring students to attend the ICANN meeting.

It was really my - first time I hear about ICANN organization. So it's (relatively) simple. It's just because somewhere in the host committee and that it was easy to organize something to bring people. So that's why we need to engage more with local hosts.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. And you imagine that in different countries of the region, not only in the country of the meeting?

Rafik Dammak: Yes. Because if maybe the example maybe of like I think in Latin America I think that you have more experience in that.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Rafik Dammak: I see many times that you organize. Maybe for example in Arabica (vision) is not the same problems, it's not easy. They need to organize their vision of defense because it's not really easy to - even to travel, et cetera.

But I think in Latin America you are more - you can even use like a more participation -- something like that. It's not usually we need - you need physical presence but you can...

Olga Cavalli: Yes, you're right. And remote is working very well. I've been following even in the meeting trying to check how it works and you can see the transcript. You can see the video and you can hear the audio.

And so it's having a same time zone or a similar time zone, that helps a lot.  
So being in the region helps a lot.

Rafik Dammak: Maybe we need to add that the remote participation I think it's really the key. Because I am afraid that people think that to be a participant in ICANN they have to be physically present in ICANN meetings.

I think that's the first idea that strikes many - among many people. But most of all that we are doing so (unintelligible) participation. But so to - so we can add (hopefully more (participation) or (unintelligible)). You can bring the (unintelligible) leg of vision and a vision of IGF in Latin America maybe.

Olga Cavalli: Great. So that's clear. So I'll add more text in point - 2 .1, okay?

Rafik Dammak: Okay.

Olga Cavalli: So let's move on 2.11, 2.112. I won't comment about the mission because it seems that it's already somehow written. There's something in red after the...

Rafik Dammak: Yes. And we're just trying....

Olga Cavalli: ...representation under (commenting).

Rafik Dammak: Yes. I don't understand why the public or the board public participation committee should manage to do two members from the noncommercial stakeholder groups.

Olga Cavalli: I have no idea. What do they came from?

Rafik Dammak: And it's ICANN sees now it will (really be) (unintelligible) why just noncommercial stakeholder group cannot appoint its own representatives.

Because different for the noncom. It's, we can't do...

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie. I think that maybe came from Tony. But I'll indicate it as (unintelligible) and then whoever wants it in I imagine will speak up.

Olga Cavalli: All right. I will delete it or I will take it out.

Rafik Dammak: Because in real written up process and that we will - that the board will eliminate the how to say, the committee members, it will - we are going to kill the committee before they could start working.

And maybe because other stakeholder groups appoint their own like just the noncommercial. That's my - I am really surprised it's so. And I won't - I am in favor of deleting and dropping this part.

Olga Cavalli: Yes I agree. So let's make a comment that we would like to take it out and perhaps someone reacts or just put it...

Julie Hedlund: I'll show it as - I'll show it in strikeout so...

Olga Cavalli: Exactly.

Julie Hedlund: ...be but we think it should be stricken...

Olga Cavalli: And...

Julie Hedlund: ...but then the person who put it in will see what it is that we're asking to have taken out. And then perhaps they'll speak up. Or if not then it will just come out.

Olga Cavalli: Right.

Rafik Dammak: Olga I have question to Julie because when I was trying to comment about which all sub team members need examples on the - on R3 strategy recommended deliverables tools to be created, use it by ICANN staff for (unintelligible).

So many things to do with it but especially I'm not sure what we mean by recommended deliverable tools to be created. We need - you mean guidelines, something like that or...

Julie Hedlund: I'm not sure I - where are you in the document Rafik?

Rafik Dammak: Just after the - that part that we striked.

Julie Hedlund: And what was your question again?

Rafik Dammak: I'm not getting what we mean by recommending deliverable tools to be created by ICANN staff. So...

Julie Hedlund: Well what...

Rafik Dammak: ...as you...

Julie Hedlund: What we mean by that is what tools can ICANN offer to facilitate outreach? So for instance that might be - telecom, you know, remote access via telecom or Adobe Connect or, you know, what kind of tools to be available.

Rafik Dammak: Maybe if it's to make it more clear maybe to say what recommended support for systems...

Julie Hedlund: I don't have any recommendations for systems. I mean the idea is that for instance you and Olga were talking about having sessions, you know, prior to the, you know, prior to the ICANN meetings.

You mentioned maybe that they could be held via a remote participation and not in person.

So what kinds of tools do you think would be useful to have those kinds of sessions? What would you want? What would you need from ICANN?

I don't know. I mean I guess perhaps teleconferencing facilities or whatnot. But you may have some other suggestions or tools that ICANN could provide.

Rafik Dammak: Okay. Thank you.

Julie Hedlund: And I don't mean just you. I mean all - this is the one that's directed at all of the sub team members. You know, when they're thinking about, you know, the outreach strategy and you're talking about, you know, what you want to accomplish, what can ICANN do to help. I mean what types of things would you need?

Do you need support from the Secretariat? Do you need teleconferencing? Do you need materials, you know, materials to be produced?

I mean I can put some examples in there but I really don't want to try to drive the document. I really do want, you know, all of you to be able to tell us what you need.

Rafik Dammak: Julie it's okay just...

Julie Hedlund: Okay good.

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak: It was going so fast that some let's say because for me (unintelligible) it's have another meaning. For me it's just like (unintelligible). That's why I was asking but...

Julie Hedlund: Good. Good I'm glad that's...

Rafik Dammak: (Unintelligible).

Olga Cavalli: Okay thank you Rafik and when we are 2.1, 2.3. When it's in yellow is something we have to add text to, right?

Rafik Dammak: I think so. That we can - it was (other) and maybe we need to add it more or to change there.

Julie Hedlund: Right. Yes, if there's anything that you feel like you want to add or change in that section.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. And this is for all sub team members?

Julie Hedlund: Right. I mean there may not be. The discussion is really is it complete or not?

Olga Cavalli: Okay. And then and there are some other additions made by Rafik 2.1, 2.15 marketing and other resources for implementation of outreach strategy, Facebook page, ICANN brand for more sensitivity.

Has - that's ICANN has or not - doesn't have make a Facebook profile thing?

Rafik Dammak: Yes. And it was...

Olga Cavalli: I haven't checked.

Rafik Dammak: I think they don't have official page. But like they have Twitter accounts. And the problem that maybe we need to create (unintelligible) some part to create something and in other - another to improve what - to improve what is existing and then to be morally active and to really engage it.

Because just to have some channels but without trying to explain to people question something it's not really efficient or we don't have real good return on investment.

But maybe Judy can help in that (unintelligible) Yesterday I think I (saw the advertisements from the ad from the - from ICANN about their position of participation, public participation director.

And I think the description of the task of - for the acquisition it's a (unintelligible). But for example we can ask that we have someone who will do that. We can add the - some from the description of (unintelligible) in that part and to ask that we - if we manage that.

(Michael): Hey guys? It's (Michael) joining. Sorry Rafik. I just want to let people know...

Olga Cavalli: Hi (Michael).

Rafik Dammak: ...(unintelligible). I remember for example it was (Karen) and after meetings that there were managing the twitter account, so just to clarify that it is more about social media but the work will be done by the ICANN staff (unintelligible) to the public participation director.

Julie Hedlund: Actually Rafik this is Julie. I don't know that, that's the case. And I'd be hesitant to put that in, that specific because I don't know if something like the Twitter or the Facebook would be managed by the public participation person.

It may be that that was in the past but it's possible that that - some of those duties might be managed by someone in the Communications Team?

Rafik Dammak: Yes that's the problem I think Julie. I think there sometimes overloading task or that, you know, we don't know who is doing what in that project. So maybe we need to...



Julie Hedlund: So but - so I don't know that we need to know. I mean I think that you're right in putting this in and saying that these things need to be there.

I think your point about having the social media is a very important point. I don't need - I don't think that this document has to recommend who in ICANN would be managing these things because they may very well be coordinated across several areas within the organization.

Rafik Dammak: Julie it's just more because we are also talking about the committee and - or the committee needs maybe we need to know who is doing what. That's I think...

Julie Hedlund: Well actually a member of the committee is going to be someone designated by the Vice President of Communications.

So that would be the liaison role between the committee and these types of communication tools and we do say that actually elsewhere in the documents.

Rafik Dammak: Okay. Anyway...

Julie Hedlund: The representation on the committee we have - we indicated that the...

Rafik Dammak: In particular ICANN stops the calls. But...

Julie Hedlund: Right.

Rafik Dammak: ...we don't feel we - maybe to (unintelligible). But it just my point I'm trying to say that I think that if we talked about (unintelligible). I think there is many initiative things - many things done like for example the broadcast or the (unintelligible) et cetera.

But we are not really (were) about all these things (unintelligible) different. I think the (unintelligible) you have (unintelligible) I think we talked about that before that to coordinate you know what - who is doing what for which purpose, et cetera.

Julie Hedlund: Yes. And unfortunately what I want - what I'm trying to say Rafik is that I think that because we are advertising for this - the new public participation person, we also I think we'll be having some changes in our communications department. I don't think all of these roles are necessarily set at this point.

And I don't have that information to provide to this document. And I think that some of these duties will probably be moving around.

And so I would be very reluctant to try to say right now where these things are handled and then have these things change later. I'd rather have that not be defined.

I - what I could do is say, you know, we can add a sentence there that would say that, you know, that the committee will work with the vice president of communications to coordinate these types of social media activities.

But I don't even know that that's necessarily where those duties will fall at this point. But I would imagine that they would - there would be some oversight from communications since I would think that, you know, for consistency sake that these activities would be coordinated there.

Rafik Dammak: I think you're right. That's (unintelligible) just because you are asking to do more details (unintelligible).

Julie Hedlund: I'm just saying I don't have the details to put in right at this point. And if I do I can add a little bit of detail but I can't say for certain that that's going to be accurate.

It may be changing as this, you know, so I don't - you know, I don't know.

Olga Cavalli: If I may can I say something? This is Olga. I somehow understand what Julie is saying. I think that we are talking about outreach.

And I'm not sure we have to give comments or details about a communication strategy or something. My opinion would be to mention that we - that the committee should have a liaison or a closed relationship with the communications staff or committee which is doing the communication task. That's my idea. I don't know (Michael) if you have something to comment.

(Michael): Well Olga I think that makes a lot of sense. And it's kind of in keeping with what we talked about.

You know, one of the things we said about the committee to help people feel that it's going to definitely be constructive and not just a, you know, another cost burden on the whole ICANN structure and fee structure.

One of the ideas was that, you know, it reach for specifically helping achieve cost efficiencies.

So even on that line of argument it absolutely should be coordinating with - sorry what's the title?

Julie Hedlund: Yes it's vice president of communications I think?

(Michael): Vice president of communications because there's an opportunity to avoid overlap that way in effort with groups, right but to centralize efforts and get better efficiencies.

So I think that we should tie it to a statement like that, right, just a generalized statement. You know, how the actual details of that, I mean that's probably

one of the first things for the committee to figure out, right? It's not for us, for the committee members.

Julie Hedlund: I can - this is Julie. I can put in something like that in this section. And I think we mentioned elsewhere that the committee will coordinate with that position. But I'll just sign that and make sure that that's clear.

(Michael): Okay. Rafik, I totally understand where you're coming from and that you want to try and structure and direction to get the thing off the ground. And I appreciate that.

At the same time I'm always wary about us going - I think with the whole recommendation we've made around the outreach committee we're almost stretching our mandate in terms of recommendations already.

And I'm okay with doing that but, you know, I don't want to be stretched so far it looks like we're stepping into areas that we haven't been really charter to do, you know I mean?

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Rafik Dammak: Olga just to clarify. I think even when we talk about outreach and we also talked about combination. But also it's really important to talk about communication because it's the communication of ICANN, it's really, really (unintelligible).

Because ICANN bring an example it was if you heard about the key holder of Internet. Because I think it's mostly because there was no real communication from ICANN about assigning of minutes.

So you're not really about outreach. But it's a again of how the communication in ICANN manage it.

Julie Hedlund: Rafik I just have to - Rafik I have to stop you there. I should - two things I'd like to point out. First of all there was a committee tasked by the operation steering committee, the Communications and Coordination Team that did provide recommendations relating to the overall communications of the GNSO. And that's specific to the GNSO.

And I also should mention that this group...

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak: Julie, Julie, sorry, I just...

Julie Hedlund: So the issue relating to...

Rafik Dammak: Julie...

Julie Hedlund: ...ICANN communicating about the DNS sects key signing ceremony separate.

Rafik Dammak: Sorry Julie, I just wrote an example of communication. I'm not talking about GNSO. I'm talking about the ICANN answer overall.

So I just wrote this as an example. I'm not talking that say we are - we have to be worried about (unintelligible) or which committee is doing that but is example of how the communication is managed.

And then if you want to outreach people you need also that you have clear communication. I just want to say that we need to coordinate. That's all what I was trying to - I try to suggest. That's all.

Olga Cavalli: Okay guys I think that what Julie pointed is really true. There's a working group like ours that devoted their time for communication issues.

And so in my opinion I think that we have to mention that we have to coordinate with them. I would suggest that we don't go into functions and (admissions) that we have not been assigned with. So let's check the language once it's more polished and done and try not to overlap, but at the same time, mentioned in that - a good coordination with the communication people staff or (communities) or whatever, could be a good thing to do. Does this sound reasonable? I take silence as a yes.

Julie Hedlund: Yes, Olga, this is Julie. That is I think a very good suggestion. Thank you.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you so much.

((Crosstalk))

(Franco): (I support it).

Olga Cavalli: (Franco), go ahead.

(Franco): Yes, I was just saying I support that too.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you so much. So we are in 2.15. We were talking about - we did talk about that. Then there's some text, (moxy micin) use of events. It says ICANN is organizing already some (life) and regional meetings and should open the attendance to all stakeholders and not only to those from the (contracting) party.

I think that - what I think it's referencing here some meetings that are for registrants, registrars. Perhaps (Michael), you can give us some information or light about those meetings. I know there is - or there was one in Japan or there will be one person.

Rafik Dammak: Yes, there will be at the end of (stock).

Olga Cavalli: Are they closed? Are they open? Are they organized by ICANN or it's more registries, registrars meeting?

Rafik Dammak: Yes, it's organized actually by ICANN. It's - but I'm not sure with the help of (Locan). (If you saw), it's just I'm not sure but it's - there must be - the attendees are registrars in the early (registries) and also ICANN, yes. But this time I saw that they opened also for (buck sover), like if you are a lady, you are interested to being (here), you can call and register at least so you can join the (unintelligible).

Olga Cavalli: Are they closed meetings or (final)? How are they?

Rafik Dammak: You have to - that way - so you have to - just (go). They will approve or not you're (I believe so).

((Crosstalk))

Olga Cavalli: Oh, because they are not open at the regular ICANN meeting.

Rafik Dammak: No.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. I'm not sure that, (Michael), are you following?

(Michael): Sorry, I was just on mute there.

Olga Cavalli: I know. I was just wondering if you could perhaps being a registry representative, could bring us some more information about these meetings, if they are more for registrars, registries or if they could be valued for the open public to attend. Or what do you think about that?

(Michael): Which meetings are we talking about?

Olga Cavalli: I think that Rafik's referring to some regional meetings for registries, registrars. For example, there will be one in Japan soon.

(Michael): Yes okay. So I've gone to a couple of these. From a registry point of view, I can tell you we don't get much value out of them. It's very rudimentary information. It's recapped from the ICANN meetings basically and summarized. And the meetings have been used in some cases to - as meeting groups - as you know there's been a lot of negotiation between different groups and interest groups and so forth around the new GTLD process, a lot of change going on.

So those meetings have been used in a lot of cases to, I think, co-join or co-host meetings on kind of working group subjects around all (the exchange).

Olga Cavalli: Hold, hold. I will have - I must take the call. I'll come back in five minutes.

(Michael): Okay I'll keep going. So it's, you know, the meetings have been - as more of the work's been winding up and we get back to more of a normal pace of change kind of in the ICANN environment, those meetings originally I think were just really to - focused on bringing registrars up to speed that aren't traveling to the main ICANN meetings and less about - you know, there's less value to it for registries for sure.

Would other parties find those meetings interesting? I don't know if they have enough of a one-on-one or an introductory aspect to them, but they certainly could be (added). Julie, what do you think?

Julie Hedlund: Yes, I'm not real familiar with them (Michael) and yet, you know, I think that perhaps there are ways that they could be useful for outreach.

(Michael): I mean, so you haven't been too involved in the regional meetings, like...?



Julie Hedlund: I've had no involvement whatsoever so I know nothing about them I'm sorry to say.

(Michael): They're usually fairly small in comparison. Like you're talking a main meeting room that might have, I don't know, 100 people in it, maybe 150. And smaller even then the center meetings tend to be. And like I said, for - at least from my perspective, the couple that I've attended, it's just kind of a repeat of stuff that I knew already from the main meetings or from ongoing work on the list.

But to someone who doesn't attend the main meetings or can't, you know, afford to make big international trips all the time to the main meetings, it certainly could be very useful in terms of spinning yourself (off).

Rafik Dammak: (Just Michael meeting)...

(Michael): I almost view those meetings as one big education opportunity versus a - and maybe feedback from registrars more so than anything else.

Rafik Dammak: (Michael), I'm not sure but there was also these - (iteration) of meetings about a new (unintelligible) like one in New York City and London - I'm not sure - Dubai and Hong Kong.

(Michael): Yes. So yes, those meetings, Rafik, I think - and I mean maybe Julie can help us with this, but my understanding is there've been a series of I'm going to call them quasi because they weren't necessarily announced months in advance. Technically I think they're open to whoever wants to attend.

But I don't think there was a widespread, you know, like press release or anything on them. There've been a series of kind of meetings on different new GTLD related topics that have orientated towards vertical integration issues before actually really, you know, before that working group was formed.

There were a few meetings on the general new GTLD subject on a couple of areas. And, you know, there were a couple in DC and a couple around the world as you mentioned. But I don't know that they're - I would put them under the banner of the requirement to do to public outreach as part of the process in creating the new GTLD process. Does that sound right Julie?

Julie Hedlund: Yes (Michael). This is Julie. That does sound right. I was aware that those meetings were occurring. I think they were announced somewhat in advance, perhaps at one of the ICANN meetings prior and then with announcements probably on the main page but I think, yes, you're correct that they were part of the outreach effort around new GTLDs.

(Michael): So I don't seem the, Rafik, as being a regular, like the work wraps up on.

Rafik Dammak: Yes.

(Michael): I don't think they'd be a regular meeting.

Rafik Dammak: Yes, also they (keep) it organized from (unintelligible).

(Michael): I can barely hear you.

Olga Cavalli: Julie, this is Olga. Who in staff is in charge of these meetings?

Julie Hedlund: Well the GTLD meetings I think that is Kurt Pritz has been in charge of that effort. Kurt is also I think managing the, you know, the draft applicant guide book effort and other efforts around the new GTLD process. And I think that you're right, (Michael), that those meetings are specific to the new GTLDs and, you know, educating people about new GTLDs and they're not, I don't think, going to be a regular occurrence.

But I think one of the points that I'm hearing and from the comments that Rafik has put in the paper is that if there are regional meetings, you know,

any meetings really that are scheduled that these could possibly be leveraged for outreach efforts as well.

Olga Cavalli: Okay I lost the document. What did I do? Here. Okay, should we make a mention, should we avoid it? Comments. I think that be- hearing comments made by (Michael) that it doesn't seem that it's very much for outreach purposes or so should we mention these meetings or not?

((Crosstalk))

Julie Hedlund: Actually Rafik has put in some text. He says ICANN is organizing already some ICANN regional meetings and should open the attendance to all stakeholders and not only those from contracted parties.

Olga Cavalli: Yes, I was referring to that. Should we leave the text or enhance it or just we don't consider it's mention in these regional meetings?

Woman: Ask for (Aldridge).

(Michael): Yes, I'd like to - I'm fine with saying, you know, we can open up - suggesting opening up those meetings. I think we should add a little bit more around that.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

(Michael): Something to say basically that - if we're going to add that I think we should put in two additions. One, to clarify, provided that, you know, appropriate content for newcomers to the ICANN environment is added to those meetings so that, you know, there's a guaranteed, you know, one-on-one workshop on the ICANN environment if you're going to open it up to everybody.

And then additionally, if you're going to open up those meetings, ICANN should look at finding a way to do a self-funding model to - if we're going to open up the attendance then it should be cost neutral.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

(Michael): Because otherwise we just, you know, we could drive up the operating costs of ICANN indefinitely.

Julie Hedlund: And (Michael), to your point we could also maybe say something that, you know, outreach should be included as a piece of - well ou-, you know, materials for outreach and for newcomers should be included in any regional meetings that ICANN is already organizing and not - wasn't (set) in a very elegant way, but the point is that, you know, one way to keep these cost neutral is that if ICANN is already planning on doing a meeting for some other purpose, why not throw in an outreach piece just as a, you know, as a rider that really wouldn't add the additional costs because you're not scheduling another meeting. You've already got one planned.

(Michael): I agree with that entirely and there should be some examination around any associated costs with potentially increased (tenants). That's the other part.

Julie Hedlund: Right, right.

(Michael): Yes. I agree that the materials, once you do them once, it's a long time investment that can be reused and just maintained. And we need those for the main meetings anyways. But I do worry that, you know, right now there're 150 some odd people that come into these regional meetings. You know, why does that all of the sudden turn into 500 just because you kind of - you open it wide and you really encourage everyone to come.

And out of those 500 how many of them are really going to participate as to add value to the entire industry or an environment or how many re just basically going to be saying, "Hey, you know, great. This is better then going to work today. I'll go to this (meeting)."

Julie Hedlund: Right. I think that's a very good point (Michael). And I've put in a little language in that section and you all can take a look at it. But it would be more of a, sort of a neutral kind of statement that ICANN could strive to leverage outreach as a part of its regional meeting and then but also, you know, to look at a self-funding model so that the meetings are cost neutral particularly with respect to increased attendance.

And then the part that you mentioned about, all right, open it to all stakeholders provided that appropriate content for newcomers is included. I'm going to wordsmith that a little bit more before I send it out to all of you and then, of course, please feel free to add (it in).

(Michael): Yes, that makes sense to me. Is everyone okay with that?

Olga Cavalli: Yes. So Julie, you will add some text here and we check it, okay?

Julie Hedlund: Yes, actually I've put them in. I'm going to revise it a little bit more and then after this meeting I'll send it around and I'll highlight these sections so you can be clear what - you know, what has been added.

Olga Cavalli: Okay, moving on, we have the mention that we need to put input about considering using ICANN events more efficiently, ensure that most of local trade and industry, associations, NGOs, academic institutions and (unintelligible) to say the organizations are represented at this level even though they are not regular stakeholders.

Okay. I may add some text here because I have mentioned that part - universities and all that. Then we have some text added by Rafik in red. It says maybe the existing ICANN magazine content can be improved in allowing more people from ICANN community to write their contributors to talk about their SOACs hot topics.

Again, I think we are moving a little bit toward communication issues here. I think this - it should be under the coordination with the communication people. Yes, Rafik, go ahead.

Rafik Dammak: So I see what (unintelligible) to (I'll trace it) also you need (the) communication. That's (perfect) (talked) about (unintelligible) communication (unintelligible). So we have (the authority) ICANN (I got here) which I think at least some part in that (model here) and I can be (unintelligible).

So I just propose that we can improve the content and to enforce more people from the community to talk about the (issue) and (AC) so they can (present) more better (content), et cetera. That's why I tried to say (so). But we should enforce more people from our community to create the content. We sho- we don't - we should (don't) all the - using all the content made by ICANN (accessible). We can't - if the community participates and not material - to create materials, et cetera.

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: Rafik, I have a question. The ICANN magazine, are you talking about the ICANN policy update?

Rafik Dammak: No, I think that (this here) that I'm not sure. I didn't receive it since a few months ago but for the kind of maga- the (really) magazine by (unintelligible) like that.

Olga Cavalli: The newsletter, right?

Rafik Dammak: Yes the newsletter, something like - that's right - maybe I am - but it's more like it's easy to (associate). It's not really just a newsletter.

((Crosstalk))

Olga Cavalli: It was more (like) a magazine was (Kieran) was doing that. It had more content and sometimes it had some (views) and pictures. Now it's more information about decisions taken by the board, the GNSO and (all that).

Rafik Dammak: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: It has changed a little bit.

Rafik Dammak: Yes, I think so. That's why (I have) to check. We (can) - there's like - it's like a (unintelligible) for (Long Beach). It's like (I see) like for (unintelligible). It's not the kind of material that can really be used for outreach - (use that for), but that one before, like a magazine really because sometimes they (sell kind of) things like what (unintelligible), et cetera.

Olga Cavalli: Okay again, I think that we are moving toward a scenario that it's not very much under our scope of work, that - I would say that coordinate it with communication area should be a good idea to perhaps have more content provided by participation of community. I will change it a little bit like that. But I will make my comments when I have the write - the time to write in a document. So I'll add that when the time comes.

Then we have - I have a comment that Rafik included using also external mailing list to - of other communities to disseminate materials and cross-posting, for example, the regional manager of Africa and GNSO (associates) use the important mailing list for Africa to send ICANN official announcements for (birth places), et cetera.

We have a similar (Latino Relecom) mailing list that in my opinion ICANN uses very well. The point is that the regional use on that is only focused on CCTLDs and that's my frequent comment. And they - the regional manager uses this list, which is quite wide, but only for promoting what they do which is CCTLD's events and outreach.

So I agree with this. Again, in my honest opinion, we are moving towards somehow into communications but it's a gray area.

Rafik Dammak: Yes, just (only) because, like, Africa is really wide. It's not - the (whole) of these people are in the - (involved) in ICANN. I don't (really remember) that from (unintelligible) to this (place) and also to try and to interest people.

So and there we have really in the Africa region we (have these) many Africans might really - in my opinion, it's very important for - to know what you're (going) for in ICANN, even for people who are not (speaking with) - too much by ICANN activities.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. Any other comments? Then we have 2.16, improving ICANN's communication with (pluba) audience to a commitment to translation. Rafik added some text. It says ICANN should have more (feeling) with (text) who may be contacted more easily by newcomers who would like to have more information. ICANN should urge and assist groups to respond to inquiries from interested parties to prospective members in languages other than English.

That's an interesting comment, making more multilingual (staff) available for different regions. For the moment we have a regional (liaison) who speaks English for Latin America. And his second language is - I don't know if it's Spanish. He does speak Spanish but he's not from the region. He's from the Caribbean.

So that makes things a little bit complicated, not because he's not a nice guy but mainly the region speaks Portuguese and Spanish. So - but I think it's - it could be to mention something about it. I would include it.

Rafik Dammak: Olga, because that translation is really (positive) (right). Okay, we (provide) (unintelligible) but with real multilingual people we have more dynamic and we can - because people not - don't feel really - always feel like (it's possible)



to say (a name) or you can contact someone (in English). So if they can, for example, in (Croatian), (unintelligible) at the beginning to be (improved) and then that's why really ICANN can help this group in that matter.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you Rafik. Any other comments? And now (it says meeting notes) from (Debbie Michael) so that will be done soon and maybe at the end, we have some other text from Rafik. Five, recommended implementation timeline and assessing results. Rafik, you say the best time of the year for (Aldrige's) programs taking care about differences regarding hemispheres, usually summer season and national holidays are not suitable for organizing events and people, the best times can be more efficient (at five four) region of events.

Let me tell you that this is really challenging and it's becoming more challenging everyday because there're several events in - related with technology that somehow overlaps with ICANN, IGF and all that. I tell you because I organize the (events) in the region so it's really challenging.

And every time you have someone who is upset because you pick out the wrong dates for them. And it's very difficult.

Rafik Dammak: That's why it only really can be done in maybe a provision a (therefore) and that's always - we say that we can (use) existing events or (donate) to not create another event but existing events for that. But - so we can add this point for existing events actually so it will be - maybe make it more easy for organizing for making the - this (caveat).

Olga Cavalli: I think it's good to mention but we have to know it's very challenging and complicated, every day more because there are many events. And now that everyone can attend remotely then it's even more overlapping and complicated. Any other comments?

Okay and then we have the last text included by Rafik that the global outreach program should be (related) every (community). Commi- the (community) should take comments from ICANN's folders, (how else) program (lead), what evaluation. For example, new members during stakeholder groups can receive the (way) where they respond how they did know the first time about ICANN and the different stakeholder groups and constituencies can help in gathering such data. It is also possible to gather such data from individual participants in GNSO working groups.

For being the organizer of several events, let me tell you that after every event I always send a survey and very few people respond. It is complicated because you have to insist and insist. But it's a good idea. I'm not saying no. I'm saying that it's complicated.

Rafik Dammak: Olga, it's not really after events but it's more when - it's just in the case of people joining stakeholder groups, et cetera, so we know how they get the information. But it's really for the specific case of people joining stakeholder groups or constituencies.

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Rafik Dammak: Because maybe we can have people involving and we don't know the - how they may be in - at least to help for evaluation (especially) someone showing individual working groups and to get the information that because he attended an ICANN event and he was interested, so it can be happy that - (without) this program and work it somehow.

Olga Cavalli: Yes, I agree. You know what they do in the INET meetings of (Isock)? They say use the survey which is done on a paper. It could be anonymous or not if you want. They use this survey to give a present to the audience and then they - another word in English, when you pick only one (so there) and that has worked.

Of course, they are not so big meetings. They are smaller. And in general there's only one space for attending the meeting (versus) (unintelligible) meetings and (all that).

Man: How do you say in Japan in (champion) events, et cetera, you need to give your business card to get a key for...

Olga Cavalli: Sometimes it's a business card. Now what they use is a form that you have to give your opinion of what would you change and all that. And with that form they put it in a box and they pick one and you get an iPod, an iTouch or whatever. So I thought it was a funny idea and I think it has been useful for having feedback.

So I like (English) and so any other comments? I would suggest the following and see if you agree. I haven't done my homework just because I was really traveling (in DC). Now I have more time. So I will - Julie, how do you think that we can include comments in - we send them to you? We include them with control changes, track, and how do you think that we can proceed?

Julie Hedlund: Well what I will do, Olga - this is Julie - is I'll produce a revised draft based on our conversation here in this meeting and I will make the changes that we've talked about in this meeting in tracked changes so they'll be highlight - you know, they'll be tracked and then what I would ask is as you and others make changes to the document, to make your changes also as tracked changes.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Julie Hedlund: And then what I will do is I'll combine all of the changes, you know, into a single document before next week's meeting. I'll probably ask for people to give me their changes by noon of next Thursday and then I can incorporate them all.

So just - you'll just need to make your changes to the document that I send out today. I'll leave the tracking on - turned on in the document so any new information that you type in there will automatically be tracked.

Olga Cavalli: I think it's a good idea. Another question. Should we meet next Friday or we take two weeks to do more text revising in the list? What do others think?

Julie Hedlund: Olga, the only thing that I would point out is that we did set a due date to send something to the operation's steering community by the end of August.

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: Two weeks would be the...

Olga Cavalli: I agree.

Julie Hedlund: The 27th so we may need to have a meeting next Friday because keep in mind that there are members of the (whole) committee - (whole) work team who have not commented on the document so we need to be able to get a version ready that we want people like (Chuck) and (Krista) who haven't been participating in these calls to be able to comment on.

Olga Cavalli: Okay I think your comment is very good. So could we - and I'll do my part - could be commit to have a draft to revise next Friday and perhaps once it's reviewed by us, it could be sent to the rest of the team by the following week? Does it sound okay?

I'll take the silence as a yes. Okay. Okay, so Julie, next step - did you - you sent a new version with the - with this text edition and we work over it - on it - and the idea for next Friday is to in two hours finalize the first draft to send to the whole working team. Let's just have that in mind and let's try to -let's try to have that draft and then if it's reviewed by the whole working team then we can send it to the OSG hopefully by the end of the (month).

Julie Hedlund: Olga, can we have a more lengthy - next Friday? Did you say...

Olga Cavalli: Oh, I can't hear you very well. There's a horrible echo.

Julie Hedlund: Yes, I (can hear) an echo. I just - it's gone now. I was just wondering if you were suggesting we have a more lengthy call. I couldn't hear if you said one hour or two hours.

Olga Cavalli: I don't know. I'm asking the group. I'm okay with (both). Rafik. Did you say something Rafik? If we have a document already revised and confined by you maybe we can take one hour.

Julie Hedlund: Yes, I think we might need to do that. Without having the other two members, and particularly (Debbie), I don't know if her schedule would permit her to go for more than one hour so I...

((Crosstalk))

Olga Cavalli: Let's go one hour. One hour.

Julie Hedlund: ...try to, yes, get as much done as we can on the document before next meeting and stick with one hour.

Olga Cavalli: I think it's - we don't need that much effort to finish the document. I think we are there. We're just commenting some interesting opinions and ideas but I think we are there.

Okay. Any other comments? I'll take silence as a yes - no this time. So have a nice weekend everyone and thanks for joining and we have something to do during the week. And we'll talk again next Friday.

Julie Hedlund: Great. Thank you.

Woman: Thank you.

END