

**GNSO
Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC)
Constituency Operations Work Team
09 July 2010 at 13:00 UTC**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC) Constituency Operations Work Team teleconference 09 July 2010 at 13:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at:

<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-constituency-ops-20100709.mp3>

On page:

<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#jul>

Participants present:

Olga Cavalli – NCA – Work Team Chair
Debra Hughes – NCSG
Tony Harris – ISPCP
Rafik Dammak – NCSG

ICANN Staff

Julie Hedlund
Rob Hoggarth
Glen de Saint Géry
Gisella Gruber-White

Apologies:

Michael Young – Registries

Gisella Gruber-White: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone. On today's Constituency Operations call on Friday the 9th of July we have Olga Cavalli, Rafik Dammak, Tony Harris, Debra Hughes. From staff we have Glen de Saint Gery, Julie Hedlund, Rob Hogarth, myself, Gisella, Gruber-White. We have apologies from Michael Young. And if I could please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes, thank you. Over to you Olga and Julie.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you, thank you very much Gisella. And good morning, good evening - no it's evening for Rafik. Good morning, good evening everyone, thank you

for joining. Really - I want to give the floor to Debbie that she has been working so hard on this beautiful document.

That I really must apologize, I had no time since I returned from Geneva because after Brussels I had to go to Geneva for the (IGF) preparations meeting. And then I had a lot of work to do.

So I saw it, I read it, I couldn't do my contributions to the document. And also I have to apologize because I did send some comments to - some ideas to Tony and to Rafik. We committed in Brussels to prepare some text about a possible committee for (Aldridge) and I got some information about the non (unintelligible) send this to them but I couldn't really follow up on that because I had no time.

So this - my apologies and I look forward to your, Debbie.

Debra Hughes: Hello everybody this is Debbie. Thank you, Olga, for your update. So I have sent an email to Michael just to give everybody a update of this (unintelligible) both of us are going to - hear me? Hello? Is that better? Okay.

The two of us are going to try to connect next Tuesday or Wednesday, perhaps sometime next week, to work through the details on the program piece that the two of us had volunteered to kind of focus on.

I know that there was this action item between Tony, Olga and Rafik to look at the committee structure, taking a look at the ALAC model and that sort of thing. And so maybe if we could all - if that little sub-working group could try to meet if at all possible between now and next Friday when we get together we can have some updates.

And of course always, you know, send your updates or any changes or any comments you have between now and then, Olga, Tony and Rafik - I wasn't

sure if there was anything else you guys wanted to add on that piece before we go onto something else.

Is Rafik back on the line?

Olga Cavalli: Debbie, this is Olga.

Debra Hughes: Did Rafik join us again?

Rafik Dammak: He did.

Debra Hughes: Hello.

Rafik Dammak: Hello.

Debra Hughes: And Tony are you still there?

Tony Harris: Yes, I'm here.

Debra Hughes: Okay so is that fair for the three of you guys to maybe try to start at least some preliminary conversations on how the committee should be structured and looking at the ALAC model so we could have an update next time we get together?

Olga Cavalli: When are we getting together again? It's next Friday?

Debra Hughes: Yes, I think that's what we agreed to. Julie, correct me if I'm wrong, keep me honest; did we say we were going to do this once a week?

Julie Hedlund: Yes, Debbie, this - and Olga, this is Julie. We decided to do this on a weekly basis since we were trying to, you know, meet a fairly quick deadline.

Debra Hughes: That's what I thought. Okay.

Olga Cavalli: Okay? I think that that's fine. Tony, Rafik, I did send something but it's very short and very preliminary - just some ideas I took from the non-comm page. But we can - if you agree we can commit in something more structured for next Friday.

Debra Hughes: Yes, I mean...

Olga Cavalli: I just resent my email from last week.

((Crosstalk))

Tony Harris: If you resend it then I can see it.

Olga Cavalli: It's very short, I mean, there's some text I brought from the non-comm just to get something started. And - but I think the idea about ALAC is interesting and some other structures that we may know in the region or Rafik, maybe in Africa or Asia that you could have.

Debra Hughes: Right so what I'm thinking about - when I'm going back to the document the section that you all will be working on would be that Section 2.1 because I think the establishment of the committee, what we are, you know, how we want it composed of, you know, different ICANN stakeholders, how it would be organized, I think that meet would be in that Section 2.1 of this draft document we've been working about.

Then also would be the direction that we would want to initially give the committee. I think Michael made a good point, and others agreed when we got together in Brussels that we need to give them some clear direction and some clear deliverables, some marching orders, as it were, after we suggest the creation of this committee then what should be the next step for them.

And I think we have some comments, in the group, about that piece. But if Tony, Olga and Rafik can kind of focus on what the committee would look like, how it would be structured, how it would be organized I think that content would kind of fit into that section. Does that make sense everyone?

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Debra Hughes: Julie, does that make sense?

((Crosstalk))

Debra Hughes: I think I'm trying to wrap my head around what the heck I created and I think that's the right place for it.

Julie Hedlund: Yes, Debbie, this is Julie. I think that sounds great.

Debra Hughes: Okay, all right. And so then what Michael and I are going to work on trying to beef up are these workshops and programs. And of course anybody can always give us ideas but I think what it makes sense for us to do is to try to put some heavy pen to paper to come up with some really detailed ideas about what these programs would look like and the related materials.

And I think most of that content would fall into Section 2.2. And then I think the next task is talking about resources in general that this committee and that our work team would recommend that would be important. And we talked about Section 2.1 of this draft document which was working with ICANN staff to know what exists already and what support the staff is already providing in this area.

And that we would also take a look at the global outreach programs that already exist. Now I'm looking at Julie's excellent summary and we didn't assign anybody to this piece, the resources piece, but I would love to find somebody to step up to the plate or a couple somebody's to coordinate with

ICANN staff to find out what already exist, what resources already exist and so that we can make sure that we fold that piece into our working document.

Olga Cavalli: Which section is that Debbie?

Debra Hughes: So...

((Crosstalk))

Debra Hughes: ...it's Section 2.1.2, it's the whole resources section. So remember part of what we wanted to do was we came up with this idea of this committee that's going to pull everybody together. But what resources are they going to need in order to pull off this grand idea?

And one of those issues was the financial resources piece...

Olga Cavalli: Okay, okay.

Debra Hughes: And remember we had...

Tony Harris: A very important piece.

Debra Hughes: Right. And remember we had...

Tony Harris: That's a very important issue.

Debra Hughes: Yes, right. And remember we had talked about at first in the document we had said, oh, you know, maybe we should talk about a budget and all this other stuff. And kind of what we said in Brussels I think was that we need to coordinate with ICANN staff to determine what resources and funding are already allocated and what other pieces or groups within the ICANN community are already engaged in this and what their funding are.

And when I revised this document I put a little bit of that in there but I think what I'd really like to do is to flush out a little bit more what we've got in this document.

Like somebody - I would love for somebody to actually reach out to, you know, the public participation committee or talk to the folks in the global participation project or talk to ICANN staff and find out what's already being allocated for these types of activities. And to the extent that we are able to find out the answer somehow incorporate it into this recommendations document.

Olga Cavalli: I could do that.

Debra Hughes: Can you Olga? That would be great.

Olga Cavalli: Yes, yes.

Debra Hughes: Thank you.

Olga Cavalli: I'm not sure for next Friday.

Debra Hughes: Yes, right but, I mean, that would be - as long as we have one point person. I didn't want a whole bunch of us, you know, going to different folks asking the same question.

((Crosstalk))

Julie Hedlund: And Debbie this is Julie. Perhaps I could suggest that I could work with Olga on that...

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: ...as far as liaising, you know, with the various ICANN staff in that area. I know for the toolkit recommendation in Task 1 Chuck and I worked, you know, together in that area in a similar way.

Debra Hughes: And, Olga, I'm happy to help too. I just - I want to make sure that I have enough time to really work on that program piece with Michael also. But if you want me involved I'm happy to be involved too with that.

Olga Cavalli: Let's do the following, I think with Julie help it would be relevant because this will save me a lot of time because she knows the structure and she knows all the people and so we can work together and she can help me find the right people to ask and make a list. And we can do that with Julie.

And once we have some outcomes we show it to you and to ours - the working team. That sounds fine?

Debra Hughes: That's great.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Debra Hughes: So I'm reading...

Olga Cavalli: I'm sorry, I read the document in the section you asked me something and I couldn't figure out what were you meaning? And I'm trying to find it.

Debra Hughes: Let me see, yes, I had a couple - okay so I was trying to, Olga, I was trying to read my notes too from our meeting and so - okay so I know I had one question for you in Section 2.1.1 on Page 4...

Olga Cavalli: Yes, but I couldn't figure out - I couldn't figure out...

Debra Hughes: Yes, I don't know what (MINA) is and maybe I misunderstood. So we were talking about...

Olga Cavalli: Which section is it?

Debra Hughes: It's in Section 2.1.1 on Page 4 of my printout when I look at it.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. Okay.

Debra Hughes: And so we were talking about groups and people who either are aware of ICANN or other people in the ICANN community that we could reach out to, to get new members. You mentioned an organization I think called (MINA) but maybe I was misunderstanding.

Olga Cavalli: That's not the name but maybe...

((Crosstalk))

Debra Hughes: I don't know. Okay...

Olga Cavalli: ...what I said.

Debra Hughes: I can't remember either. Julie, do you - does anybody else remember?

Julie Hedlund: You know, I'm not quite sure either. I don't have it in my...

Debra Hughes: Yes, I mean, we can strike it. I was just trying to capture what I had in my notes and I...

Olga Cavalli: What I did I think I mentioned something about (Latne) which is our original (RAR). But they were with (ISP)s so, no, I don't think...

Debra Hughes: Yes, no, I don't recall.

Olga Cavalli: And I couldn't recall really what I tried to say that day. So I couldn't figure it out because I didn't know.

Debra Hughes: Okay.

Olga Cavalli: Sorry.

Debra Hughes: That's no problem. I mean, it could have been something I was writing quickly and who knows what I said or what I was trying to...

((Crosstalk))

Olga Cavalli: That was my question. So I couldn't (unintelligible).

Debra Hughes: Okay, no problem.

Olga Cavalli: I cannot recall.

Debra Hughes: Okay no problem.

Olga Cavalli: Maybe I remember and I send it to you, maybe I remember.

Debra Hughes: Okay, yes. Okay. So what else? Did I get all the action items, Julie? Are there other areas where we need to really flush out?

Julie Hedlund: No I think that's it. I think we had, you know, we have various sort of subtask groups, you know, working on the different sections and then you have identified Olga and myself as a new little group to work in the financial resources area. So I think that that covers the tasking.

Debra Hughes: Okay.

Olga Cavalli: Julie, this is Olga. Could you also help us or maybe Rob in just identifying which other committees like non-comm or ALAC are there in ICANN. So maybe we can grab some information, how are they structured. And so we don't reinvent the wheel with that and we take some ideas from there.

Robert Hoggarth: Yes, we'd be happy to do that Olga. This is Rob. The other idea that I really like that I think Debbie mentioned earlier is just this coordination with the (PPC) because given the fact that they're interested in, you know, having that outreach programs and discussing what engagement and participation looks like on a broader ICANN level, you know, having whatever effort you're thinking about at least consistent with or coordinated with others I think is a great idea.

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: That's a great idea. Who is that?

Robert Hoggarth: Well I think that's, you know, Debbie had mentioned that as outreach from you guys to the (PPC) and I think that's a great idea. I don't know who was going to volunteer to do that. Certainly from the staff perspective we can make the introduction or I think as Julie mentioned to me several days ago the opportunity to have a (PPC) member perhaps participate in his dialogue with you guys during one of these calls would also, you know, be a good idea.

Olga Cavalli: Yes, my question is who is in the (PPC)?

((Crosstalk))

Robert Hoggarth: (Jean-Jacque Superna) is the chair of that group.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Robert Hoggarth: And the various folks on that committee if I recall correctly just off the top of my head who would be in your region would be (Gonzalo Izanda).

Olga Cavalli: I think...

((Crosstalk))

Robert Hoggarth: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: (Jon Consalo) (unintelligible)?

Robert Hoggarth: I'm trying to think, yes.

Olga Cavalli: I think it's (Gonzalo) (unintelligible).

Robert Hoggarth: Yes, on the board and then of course you have (Tom Narton), (unintelligible) (Ture) and I think there's somebody else I'm missing but I can't - those are the folks I remember off the top of my head on that committee on the board side.

Debra Hughes: Okay.

Robert Hoggarth: Yes so we'd be happy to coordinate any of that, you know, contact or do the introductions but I know you know...

((Crosstalk))

Olga Cavalli: Debbie, one suggestion, why don't we work a little bit more and have some - we put some more ideas in your document, which by the way is very good so far and then we contact them because I think it's not really - they are very busy, they are board members and we may show them some of our draft outcomes and then start some exchange of ideas. What you think?

Debra Hughes: Yes, I think that makes good sense. And you know what I was just thinking of one other thing that I was going to ask this group for some assistance with. So there's certain sections in the document where I'm asking for detail or more substance.

But one thing that I thought was really important and I think might be helpful as we try to tell this story and to explain what we're thinking is examples. And I liked a lot of the examples that we have in here.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Debra Hughes: If there are other examples of successful outreach program that you all have been mentioning rather than just kind of listing them what I'd love to hear or what I think might be helpful to include is why we think these programs are best in class or really successful.

So, Rafik, I know you mentioned a couple, I know Tony's mentioned...

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Debra Hughes: ...Olga's mentioned some, I've mentioned some, so has Michael. And I think part of what we should also think about doing is when we say, you know, there are organizations out there that are doing it right and ICANN should consider partnering with them in a bigger way or using their resources let's explain why rather than just kind of saying it.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Debra Hughes: And I think we've got that a couple places here so double check it, you know, whatever it typed of course because, you know, who knows if I captured what you were trying to say accurately or your understanding of the organization.

But I would encourage everybody to take a look at this document and think of what are the organizations that I've seen that do outreach really well especially the type of outreach we're talking about and let's talk about the example in a more specific way so that the person that reads this document really understands that we're not just pointing at organizations, we're pointing to them and we're explaining what we liked about what they were doing.

Again with the idea of giving this committee some things, some deliverables that they can really walk away with and know what we're asking them to refer to when they start doing their work. What does everybody think about that?

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Debra Hughes: Is that fair?

Olga Cavalli: One question, I think it's a great idea. How - I think that once we get some (unintelligible) is good for each of the examples. We may elaborate some text explaining which are the goals to be achieved by (unintelligible) activity. So...

Debra Hughes: Right.

Olga Cavalli: ...following this example you can see that doing this and this you can achieve that and that. Maybe we can...

Debra Hughes: That's right.

Olga Cavalli: ...work on that once we have it but first we need...

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: ...for each activity some identification of goals of each of them.

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: Okay I will do that with my...

((Crosstalk))

Debra Hughes: Yes, and I'll start thinking about that too.

Olga Cavalli: I also - Debbie, this is Olga. I'm just looking at the document. I really think it's important to include something about relationship with universities, should we do that in the commenting - or the commenting proposal or we just can put it in - elsewhere more as a general framework of activities or ideas?

Debra Hughes: Right, so there's a couple things that I heard you talk about when we were talking about strengthening the relationship between ICANN and universities. One was that some of these programs that we were talking about creating can be either how that universities - or work with professors like you to have these programs for your students right?

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Debra Hughes: That was one thing. And then the other thing is I thought I heard you mention that ICANN should also at the same time of, you know, while you - while we're having these workshops and things at like your university or similar universities that also the materials that we're creating should be - how did you say - that there may be existing materials that you're, for example, already using that ICANN could consider.

I thought that's what you were also mentioning that as well, like partnering with universities not just to identify bright new students or to even introduce ICANN to them but also consider what materials already exist by professionals like you that can be used by ICANN.

Olga Cavalli: Yes, I think that's - we have to enhance the relationship with universities. And I also mentioned that it could be good to identify some at the beginning group of more related to ICANN universities, more (unintelligible) to go ahead. Universities have their own inertia and their own group of interests so it's difficult as usual for every group of people that is working together to bring new ideas.

So every time you try to move them from their comfort space it's difficult. Every group has this characteristic. So - but there is always someone with some leadership about new things that could be achieved - it could be included as a leader person.

It could be that we find like say two or three universities per region and start a step outreach with universities. I think that could be helpful. I can identify one in Argentina, maybe someone else in Brazil or someone else in the States or in Europe.

I know that ICANN has done this with Russia two years ago and this is where I got the idea from. This could be a part of the committee activities so maybe we can include this idea if you think it's somehow good in the group activities, finding some universities to start more stable relationship with.

So some information and some material is relevant for some lecturers. And so the university can count on them and update it - further information could be - from ICANN.

Debra Hughes: Yes, so I hear a couple of things. So the - strengthening that relationship with universities includes not just having the workshop at the university but really partnering with the university to make these Internet issues a part - perhaps maybe the curriculum or...

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Debra Hughes: ...some of the program offerings.

Olga Cavalli: That's exactly the point.

Debra Hughes: That's right. And then also helping, you know, when we go and do these programs, for example, at your university that the goal would be not only just to provide the workshop or the program but maybe to identify some students who might be interested and maybe mentor to them and get them involved and engaged right?

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Debra Hughes: Okay.

Olga Cavalli: If you think that - I think it's a good place because when I go to different universities and I teach me, because I'm involved in ICANN for other reasons, not for my university activity, but I bring it to my students and to the institution. But the institution itself they just don't know what this is.

And they're teaching networking, they're teaching policy, teaching global networking policy and global networking introduction and all that. So it's really amazing how some institutions are already very well known and some others are not. So I think it's our mission to make that more visible.

Debra Hughes: Right, so it's not just educating the students it's educating the university about...

Olga Cavalli: Exactly.

Debra Hughes: ...ICANN and what it's doing and why it's important for their students and professors to be engaged.

Olga Cavalli: Exactly.

Debra Hughes: Okay. Right, okay. Tony and Rafik anything you guys have?

Olga Cavalli: Debbie, again, this is me again. Sorry for...

((Crosstalk))

Debra Hughes: No that's okay.

Olga Cavalli: Where do you think this university should fit, I mean, in the general text, or in the committee or...

Debra Hughes: So what I think is when we come up with the definition of the committee and how it's created I think we made a really good point and you're making it again today that after we talk about - okay this is the committee, they're going to be created, this is how they're going to be formed.

Then the very next I think section needs to be the goals and objectives of the committee, right? And I think...

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Debra Hughes: ...in that section we're going to say the committee - we recommend that the committee should be formed to do the following things, one might be implement the workshop programs that we're going to describe in section whatever, whatever. Two, to engage in a global outreach strategy to universities, one, to other Internet-related organizations like the (IDF) or, you know, whatever the other suggested target populations are.

Two, end users and developing countries, I mean, like we list it there and then I think we provide the examples of how to execute the strategy in a separate section. So the stuff that we're talking about for this - for outreach to

universities I think could reside in its own paragraph or own section when we talk about the details about that part of the strategy.

So one part of the strategy is trading these programs, we'll outline - Michael and I will outline what the program looks like and describe. But one of the things we'll mention is these types of programs should be held at universities in the various regions consistent with our recommendation early in their program about, you know, outreach to universities. Does that make sense, Julie, am I explaining it right? Like I think that makes sense.

((Crosstalk))

Debra Hughes: I don't really know how these documents are really organized but that's how I would do it I think.

Tony Harris: It makes sense to me.

Debra Hughes: Does that make sense, Tony? Okay. Because I think Olga...

Tony Harris: I think...

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Tony Harris: Could I say something?

Debra Hughes: Yes please.

Tony Harris: I think that we shouldn't forget when we're - we're enumerating these different strategies that we should look to do. We should think about regionalizing the efforts as much as possible because if you want to do it in every country it's going to be a huge effort and a huge expense.

But if we can identify regional organizations or events that occur within the region where, you know, people from different countries go to these events then that would also be a way to do it effectively and not make it an impossible task.

Debra Hughes: Yes, and I agree. I think the more specific that we can recommend to the committee the easier it will be for them to execute. So for example if we've identified Latin America as a population that really needs information and there needs to be more outreach to the extent that Tony and Olga can help us, you know, with the specifics about, okay, these are the events, these are the important activities that ICANN could just plug right into I think we put that in this document, I think we include it as a suggested outreach mechanism.

Does that make sense, Olga, for you?

Olga Cavalli: Yes, yes it does.

Debra Hughes: Yes, yes, I mean, so that we're not just saying - like what I don't want to do is to create a document that has all these great lofty ideas and goals that doesn't give anybody enough meat to be able to move forward because, you know, critics are going to say we've created more red tape, more bureaucracy, right.

What we want to try to say is, look, we reached out to all - as best we can everybody within the ICANN community and we're giving you this suggestion and by the way we've taken the next step of trying to help you execute on this strategy.

And so I love your idea, Tony, and I think we should think about that throughout the document. Whenever we make a suggestion to the extent that we can already help them with the next step which is this is how you would implement it, as many details that we could recommend as possible is what I would appreciate.

If I were going to be on this committee I would want to know well how can I execute this grand scheme. You know, and I think that will help those who might criticize, I mean, we're going to have critics one way or the other, right, but I think it would help those who are looking at this document, what do you do with it to the extent that we have these details I think it will help.

Tony Harris: Okay that's no problem, that's my day job; I build organizations nationally and regionally.

Olga Cavalli: Yes, he's very good at this.

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Tony Harris: No problem.

Debra Hughes: Wonderful.

Olga Cavalli: Yes, one comment, Debbie if I may. Yes you're right, this may sound like a new bureaucracy or a new committee but believe me living in Latin America - and this is for GNSO - if I were not a friend of Tony's since many years ago I would never have ever knew about how - that I had a chance to work for the GNSO being an outsider, I mean, someone from the community.

And this is because I know him from other activities. So my point is GNSO needs more outreach. I know that there are some structures in between ICANN and I'm not saying that they are not good and I'm not saying that ICANN is not doing things to the region.

But it's not enough for GNSO. GNSO has a relevant role in the policy development process. And the participation of some regions is really very low just because people don't know they can do that. So this is my point.

There may be some structures that are already present but it has not been enough for some regions in this particular aspect about GNSO. So this is our role and I think it's important.

Debra Hughes: Well I'm glad that you thought my crazy idea of creating committee wasn't so crazy. I mean...

Olga Cavalli: No, no.

Debra Hughes: ...I cringed as I was typing it but I was trying to think of, I mean, how do you do something like this? I mean, how do you execute a outreach strategy without pulling together all the ICANN stakeholders so I'm glad that you guys thought that was workable.

And to the extent that we can, you know, make this as easy as possible, you know, for the committee to at least start their efforts I think that would be great.

And, you know, and you make a good point, I don't think the tone of our document should be that ICANN is bad or, you know, just we're going to recognize this is what is already existing but we want to take it to the next level, we want to improve upon it, we want to coordinate efforts and we want to do some targeted outreach to areas that we have identified as needing particular attention like Latin America, like, you know, other areas that we're going to identify throughout, you know, all this hard work that we're doing.

And I think that's - if we approach it from that perspective maybe it'll be, you know, well received within ICANN.

Olga Cavalli: Yes, that's the idea.

Debra Hughes: Yes. Any other suggestions from anyone?

Olga Cavalli: No just I would like to summarize what I have to do.

Debra Hughes: Okay.

Olga Cavalli: So I promise I will work with Tony and Rafik to outline some text for how a committee could be built and some other things about a committee. Right, this is one...

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: ...yes? And then I will work with Julie in identifying how this could be funded and how this is already going on in some other ICANN structures. Did I get it right? And so for me that's it.

Debra Hughes: That's right.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Debra Hughes: And then if...

((Crosstalk))

Olga Cavalli: I'll add some text to the document that I had no time but I want to add some text in some parts of it that I can contribute to this, this I may do today and send it to the list.

Debra Hughes: Okay and then I think you made another good point is as we continue to work on this document once we flush out the specific deliverables and objectives of the committee once we have that then we can start thinking again about adding more examples and more details.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Debra Hughes: Right, about our recommendation so that we can add, you know, more substance. And then what I'll do in addition to working with Michael on the substance for the workshops and such I'm going to take another look again at the beginning sections of this document.

I mean, we had a lot of stuff in the front side that I can, you know, start tweaking and playing with and removing the stuff that's not appropriate anymore. I was focusing more on the meat. But, Julie, if you don't mind me bugging you to help format the front-end of the document I'd appreciate that because I think there's a lot of stuff that we had before - I don't want the document to be, you know, a summary of everything we did and everything we talked about; I don't think that's helpful.

But I do think it's helpful to explain at least, you know, where we were coming from and then here's our recommendation. So I was kind of using this document also to - in the beginning stages to kind of document what we were doing for my own - to keep my own self straight. But now at this point I think a lot of this can come out.

Julie Hedlund: Yes, Debbie, this is Julie. I think, you know, you should feel free to strike a lot of this background information.

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: I think...

((Crosstalk))

Julie Hedlund: ...just a brief background section...

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: ...that just sort of sets up what the task is and, you know, why we're doing this.

Debra Hughes: Okay.

Julie Hedlund: You know, coming out of the (BDC) report and so on. And then I think you're right, a lot of the rest of that can just come out.

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: Very good.

Olga Cavalli: One question...

((Crosstalk))

Olga Cavalli: ...or one comment. This is Olga. I did not come back to (Philip) (unintelligible) about our dates for providing some text. He hadn't asked so I didn't have the chance to say something different and I was thinking yesterday because I wrote a report to the GNSO about our work.

And I said mid of August as our finishing date. What do others think? If we meet every week - and today is 9 of July.

Debra Hughes: Yes, here's my concern, I think that the piece that you're going to be doing with reaching out to the public participation committee and these other groups within ICANN to get us - I think that's really important work. And I don't know how quickly - Julie maybe you can help us weigh in, like how quickly we can coordinate all of that.

Because I definitely think that a lot of that work is important to have in this document. You know, flushing out the workshop programs and the other stuff I think would be a little bit easier to do but I do want to make sure that we

reach out to these other groups that are doing outreach to make sure we capture that piece. So what do you think is realistic, Julie, I mean, do you think mid of August is realistic?

Julie Hedlund: Well I think it depends. We were - this is Julie. We were talking a little bit earlier in this, you know, meeting about having a document that's a little bit more firmed up before we engage the board's participation committee.

And I think that that's probably a good idea. So to a certain extent it just depends on how quickly we can have the next iteration of the document that we feel is, you know, has a little bit more detail and is a little bit, you know, more firmed up.

And, you know, to share with (Gonzalo) and, you know, and then (Jean-Jacque), you know, be able to review that and perhaps join us for one of our meetings.

I do agree that I think that mid-August I think is a better date. I mean, I think we had originally been talking to (Phillip) in Brussels about the beginning of August but I think that that would be extremely difficult at this point and I think it's better to have the, you know, spend the time necessary to get this right rather than rush through and have something that maybe isn't, you know, as comprehensive as it needs to be.

So I don't know, Rob, what are your thoughts too? You're probably more familiar with engaging the board and I just don't whether or not we want to try to do that in parallel.

Robert Hoggarth: I think - thanks Julie, this is Rob. I think it's really a balancing act as a part of this work team because, you know, you're going to be developing some new things. I think - at least what I'm picking up from the conversation is you're interested in getting input from other groups and organizations but your work product will be unique and different.

It might build on the experience of some of these other groups. You might welcome input from them but you're not going to them for approval. So, you know, some early outreach now in the next week or so that says hi, just to advise you that we're working on this, we'd love to get your input. We'll be sharing some draft documents with you over the coming weeks.

Just want to have you in the loop and get the benefit of your background and experience may be the best initial approach. And then as you get - start to drill down you may want to get more specific feedback or use specific examples to help pull together what your final recommendations are.

But I don't think you should look at that as, you know, a gate function that would prevent you from providing recommendations in August.

Debra Hughes: Okay.

Robert Hoggarth: Does that make sense?

Debra Hughes: Olga, does that make sense to you?

Olga Cavalli: Yes sure. So should I send a note to (Philip) saying that mid of August it's (unintelligible) or just silent for the moment?

((Crosstalk))

Robert Hoggarth: This is Rob. I would err on saying the end of August and if you beat expectations it looks wonderful.

Olga Cavalli: Oh that's fine.

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie. I agree. And I think, Olga, that you will have to give some kind of answer to (Philip). I think he'll (unintelligible) until the gets one.

Olga Cavalli: Sorry, I didn't hear you well.

Julie Hedlund: I was just saying, Olga, this is Julie, that I think you do need to give a date to (Philip); I'm sure he's expecting one. And, you know, and I agree with Rob, I think end of August is probably better but we could shoot for mid-August within this group to try to see if we could beat that expectation.

Olga Cavalli: Fantastic. So I'll send an email to (Philip) saying that we're working towards the end of August for finalizing our work. By the way one question is the OSC having specific deadline for the remaining work about the GNSO improvements?

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie. I have not seen that from (Philip) although I do believe that he is, you know, keeping an eye on what's happening with the work. A lot of it as you know has now passed onto the Council and is out - many of the recommendations are out for the public comment.

So, you know, I'll be taking those comments and analyzing them and then the subsequent actions by the work teams or the OSC will really depend on, you know, what that, you know, what comes out of the comment period and maybe some, you know, recommendations based on that from the Council as to whether or not the OSC or the work teams need to be engaged again.

And then that may drive additional deadlines. But I haven't seen anything from (Philip) to, you know, where he's tracking various activities so I'm sure he's keeping an eye on them.

Olga Cavalli: Okay thank you. Hello?

Debra Hughes: Okay - hello? Well, Olga, I think that's everything I have. Is there anything else we need to discuss?

Olga Cavalli: Not for me, I have things to do.

Julie Hedlund: So this is Julie. So to summarize then I'll - I will send out the taskings from this call. Then of course please, all of you when I send this a little bit later this morning please comment on anything that I might have missed or misstated. And as a reminder then next Friday at this same time to continue this work.

Olga Cavalli: Great.

Debra Hughes: Thanks Julie.

Olga Cavalli: We meet every week right?

Debra Hughes: Pardon me?

Olga Cavalli: We will meet weekly?

Julie Hedlund: Yes, weekly.

Olga Cavalli: Fantastic.

Julie Hedlund: Wonderful.

Debra Hughes: Thanks everyone.

Julie Hedlund: Thanks everyone.

((Crosstalk))

Olga Cavalli: And have a nice weekend to you all. Bye-bye.

Debra Hughes: Yes, have a good weekend.

((Crosstalk))

Debra Hughes: Bye-bye.

END