

**GNSO
Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC)
Constituency Operations Work Team
28 May 2010 at 13:00 UTC**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC) Constituency Operations Work Team teleconference 28 May 2010 at 13:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at: <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-constituency-ops-20100528.mp3>

On page:
<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#may>

Participants present:

Olga Cavalli – NCA – Work Team Chair
Michael Young – Registries
Debra Hughes – NCSG
Tony Harris – ISPCP
Chuck Gomes – Registries Stakeholder Group
Rafik Dammak – NCSG

ICANN Staff

Julie Hedlund
Glen de Saint Géry
Gisella Gruber-White

Apologies:

Zahid Jamil – CBUC
Krista Papac – Registrar Stakeholder Group

Olga Cavalli: Thank you very much, operator. Thank you, Gisella. Good morning, good evening everyone. I hope you are doing fine on this Friday. Thanks for joining today.

The idea of the call is to devote part of it to finalize the documents for (Test 1)

Julie Hedlund: Excuse me, Olga. Should we do a roll call?

Olga Cavalli: Oh, sorry, sorry. I always forget that now. I don't know why. Because you know what confuses me? I am looking at the meeting view...

Julie Hedlund: Right.

Olga Cavalli: ...so I know who is on the call.

Julie Hedlund: Right (unintelligible) the roll call.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you very much, Julie. Go ahead.

Julie Hedlund: Shall I do a roll call?

Olga Cavalli: Yes, please.

Julie Hedlund: Yes, I can't do it as well as Gisella, but good morning, good afternoon, good evening everyone. This is a meeting of the Constituency and Stakeholder Group's Operation Team.

On the call we have Olga Cavalli, Debra Hughes, Chuck Gomes, Michael Young. We are - upon contact Tony Harris and Zahid Jamil, who may join us later, and we have Rafik Dammak. From staff we have Julie Hedlund, Gisella Gruber-White, and Glen de Saint Gery.

Olga Cavalli: And we have apologies from Krista Papac. Thank you. Thank you very much and sorry for missing that.

Okay, I was telling you that the idea of today's call is finalize the document. I contacted Philip Sheppard, the Chair of the OOC, yesterday and they will discuss this document in their meeting in Brussels, so they are expecting this document. They put it in their agenda, so it's - I promised him we will do our best to send it perhaps today if possible. If not, on Monday.

So we had a pretty good version. Julie also reviewed it again and I changed some details for her. Julie you can tell us what you changed in it and I have a small suggestion. I think Chuck also sent some comments and Victoria. She

sent some comments also, so perhaps we could go through those. Julie can you tell us what you changed in case that someone could not see that?

Julie Hedlund: Yes Olga, this is Julie. So the changes I made prior to Chuck's changes were very minor. Earlier, I sent some recommendations concerning adding some text to clarify at the beginning of Section 2 that there would be - to clarify that the majority recommendations were supported by you know the Work Team members that supported it. And I've listed the Work Team members who support the majority recommendations and then referenced that - minority recommendations too on Page 9 and that that's supported by Victoria and SS. And then I just made a slight change after that saying the majority recommendations are arranged in the following three sections.

And then moving on down through the document - and I apologize. There's a little echo. It might be me. The other change was to add - Victoria had recommend to delete the minority recommendation where it appeared at the very end of the document prior to the Appendix and move it to the end of Section 2.2.10 basically because that minority recommendation relates to that section. And then so I added in that the following is a minority recommendation related to Sections 2.1 and 2.2 supported by Victoria McEvedy and SS and then put in the text of the minority recommendations without changes.

And then she suggested adding (the rest) to the minority report at Appendix A, and Chuck has suggested making a change - making two changes related to that. While first of all it's a change in the title, I'm going to add recommended in front of the comment operating principles. So, recommended operating principles in the title.

But in the following Section 2.2.10, Chuck suggests the following sentence at the end of the first paragraph in Section 2. Actually, so beginning on 2 saying a minority recommendation is included on Page 9, which is supported by

Victoria McEvedy, et cetera, and the full minority report from Victoria and SS is included as (Appendix A).

So actually, that was here if I back up a little bit. Not at the end of 2.2.10, but at the beginning of Section 2. And I'm sorry I didn't have a chance last night to make that change before today's meeting, but so then that - wait a minute. Now I'm a little confused. So we do have - oh, I see.

So at Section 2 - okay, I see. So what Chuck has suggested is in Section 2 following the sentence that says a minority recommendation is (referenced on Page 9), which is supported by Victoria McEvedy and SS, then there would be a sentence that would say a full minority report from Victoria and SS is included in Appendix A. So there would be another reference to the minority report in Appendix right at the beginning of Section 2.

Did (I get that correctly), Chuck?

Chuck Gomes: Yes Julie, you did.

Julie Hedlund: Great. Thank you. Because I've only just had a chance to look through and see how this would all fit today, so I just want to make sure I get it right.

Debra Hughes: Julie could I - hi, this is Debbie.

Julie Hedlund: Yes.

Debra Hughes: I was wondering could you please add my name to the majority.

Julie Hedlund: Oh yes, absolutely.

Debra Hughes: For the non-commercial stakeholders group. Thank you.

- Olga Cavalli: Thank you, Debbie. Thank you very much. Any other comments or suggestions to this version of the document?
- Michael Young: Well I can't see it in front of me unfortunately because my laptop died this morning, but I just want to make sure my name is in the majority recommendations.
- Julie Hedlund: Yes, it is Michael, but I'm just looking to be absolutely (sure).
- Olga Cavalli: I have a question about this. Should we include all the group member names other than Victoria and SS in the majority recommendation unless they are active members of the working group or no? I don't have the answer. I'm just asking.
- Julie Hedlund: You know and actually - this is Julie. Olga, I wasn't sure about that because we have some work team members who really have not been active on this issue for a long time and I wasn't sure.
- Olga Cavalli: Okay.
- Julie Hedlund: You know for instance (Hector Ariel Mana).
- Olga Cavalli: Yes, I know. Yes.
- Julie Hedlund: And Dr. (Sarong Butapoor) I think was only involved in one of our meetings and has since not been involved at all that I am aware.
- Olga Cavalli: Okay.
- Julie Hedlund: So I didn't include them.
- Olga Cavalli: Yes, you're right. And I was wondering also if - and I don't know if it's used or not in this document as an outcome of the working group. Should we

somewhere state all the members of the working group or that's not necessary?

Julie Hedlund: I don't know. (I'd ask) the Work Team on that.

Michael Young: Well, I mean maybe what we should do is just add a flag or a list of inactive members and then you've covered everybody. You are either in the list with the major recommendations, you're in the minority, or you're on the list of inactive members.

Julie Hedlund: Well right now the way - Michael, this is Julie. The way it is in the document and I know you can't see it is that we say the minority recommendations are supported by and then we list the supporters, and then the minority recommendations (would apply) and the minority supporters. And so I'm not quite sure where we list - I mean unless we say the following members have not been active on this issue or something like that.

Michael Young: Well I would just put inactive members in an (appendix).

Julie Hedlund: Well that's (two people only).

Chuck Gomes: Why do we even want to identify the inactive members? In this particular working team, they have been so inactive that they are - you know I don't even think there's any reason to call attention to them.

Michael Young: I'm with Chuck. I mean the only thing is that their names are on the (GCOT) Web site or Wiki site and you know I thought it might be clearer for people outside our group. It would be nice to clarify that those people were inactive and that's why their names don't show up in any of these documents.

Chuck Gomes: So they are missing from the list of those who support and they are not named in the minority report. My personal feeling is that that's enough. I'm

not strongly opposed to listing them somewhere. Julie though where do you do that?

Michael Young: Yes, no I'm fine with that, Chuck. I'm not trying to push that (as an issue). It was just a suggestion.

Chuck Gomes: Yes. Yes, got it. Well normally, I would support something like that. But in this particular case, I mean they've had I think in one case zero - well their name was mentioned in one minority report way back. But other than that, it's been almost zero activity.

Chuck Gomes: So can I flip the discussion sideways into a clarification for a second if everyone is okay with that?

Olga Cavalli: Yes, except one more comment about who is named in the document. In the minority report - this is special (reference) for Rafik. Sorry Rafik, for SS and Victoria being leaders of (subtask 1 and 2). Should we also include references for other sub leaders who (have worked) about and contributed? Should we do that or no?

Man: It's up to the group.

Julie Hedlund: Well and I - Olga, they are actually listed as (there) but they are also listed as presenting the minority report.

Olga Cavalli: I know. I just want to be sure that the people that really put a lot of effort and (led) the working teams are okay that their names are not included as such.

Man: Is there an easy place to put that in? I mean it's a good point, Olga, because I think recognition is due to those who put the (work) on those.

Olga Cavalli: Exactly.

Man: If it can be smoothly put in somewhere, I support that.

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie. I would suggest doing this. Having another appendix that has - lists all of the Work Team members, (extricate) those who have been inactive, and lists the Work Team members for each of the subtasks. And I don't know. I could do an appendix like that you know just very briefly, but the reason I'm (concerned) about including the list of the team members in the minority report is that it will suggest those are people who are presenting that minority report or supporting it, and I don't think that's accurate.

So but we could have a separate page that then has the Work Team members, indicates who is inactive so that you know maybe that would satisfy Michael's concerns. And then also it indicates you know the team leaders and the people who are on the - and the sub-team leaders and the people who are on the sub-teams.

Man: I like that approach better than incorporating it in the main document, and just put in parentheses after the two inactive members that they were inactive. And then you could also put in parentheses or some other way next to those who led subtask teams - that they (unintelligible).

Julie Hedlund: I agree.

Olga Cavalli: Yes, I might also be of the approach - and I think it's fair that other - the Working Team leaders are also named into eh document and recognized for their work.

Man: And I assume Julie then maybe in the background or someplace like that, you would just make a one-sentence reference to the Working Team participants and leaders are listed in Appendix B.

Julie Hedlund: Yes, absolutely. That would be easy to do.

Olga Cavalli: Right. Thank you. I'm sorry Michael for interrupting you, but this was related with what we were talking about.

Michael Young: Absolutely.

Olga Cavalli: Okay, thank you very much. So Julie you captured all of these details.

Julie Hedlund: Yes, I did Olga.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you so much. Michael, go ahead please. I'm sorry for interrupting.

Michael Young: Given Victoria's email, I assume everyone on the call has read my response to that.

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Michael Young: Which frankly I worded very bluntly and very deliberately bluntly. I just want to clarify something that she said that I did not understand to be accurate, so I want to check this with the group and Chuck you in particular should know the answer to this one.

My understanding was that in the previous subtasks, they submitted or where Victoria and others submitted minority reports, that the OSC had forwarded - the change that the OSC had made in passing it on to the GNSO is that they just moved the minority report to a dependency versus removing it altogether.

Chuck Gomes: I don't think that's exactly accurate. By the way, Michael, I almost responded as well on this one.

I think what we did -- and I didn't have to go back and check this morning -- is that we provided a link to the full minority report because there was concern that it was so long it overwhelmed the whole document.

Michael Young: Right. Okay, I remember that. That's what I - I remember that now.

Chuck Gomes: Yes, so it was removed from the report itself, but it would be more accurate to say it was removed and a link and reference were provided in the report to it. So it was clearly stated there was a minority report and it was just their link to that material.

Michael Young: Yes.

Chuck Gomes: That's a huge difference than the accusation of it being (of minutes), right, which is what Victoria was saying.

Michael Young: I agree. So I stand by what I wrote back to her. I'm willing to - you know as a member of this group, I'm not willing to support any wording that goes to the OSC accusing them of inappropriate behavior certainly before they've even done it. It's ridiculous.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you, Michael. You brought up something that I wasn't going to comment. As far as I remember and Chuck mentioned it very well, in my understanding the minority report was included in a link. It was (suppressed) from the document, and I was at the (meeting) that date and I remember that. So I think we should say that in our list. I had no time this morning to look for the document, so I couldn't check it by myself, but I remember this. And I also agree with you that we should not - we should clarify this and let her know that the document went completely with the minority report. And I don't think that's the intention of the OSC to (cutting documents) or changing them.

So how could we address this? We should send her a note in our email list or how do you suggest we can clarify this?

Michael Young: I think we should just correct the last email she put back to me is where she makes that statement, so I think Olga either you or Chuck could certainly -- and I was at that meeting too now that I recall -- could clarify exactly what

happened and what was passed on, and you know just put a simple email back truth telling.

Julie Hedlund: this is Julie. I should note Michael you probably - I don't know if you had a chance to (look at this), but she did respond - Victoria did respond to your email and that that was not - it was not her intent to characterize it in that way.

Michael Young: Right and I responded to that and thanked her for clarifying that.

Julie Hedlund: Okay.

Michael Young: Regardless of what her intent was, that kind of language has showed up on our list way too often for me to be comfortable. I find it disrespectful and inappropriate.

Olga Cavalli: I agree with you, Michael. I think we have to take this also on the list. So...

Chuck Gomes: So do we really need to do anything about this? I mean we all understand it on the list, so we don't need to spend a lot of time on it. I think the only place where we need to do something is if there's any message from our group that goes to the OSC as I think Victoria was suggesting. At that point, we would need to deal with this. Is she still pushing for some sort of a message to be sent to the OSC in that regard with our report?

Michael Young: I didn't get that (unintelligible).

Olga Cavalli: No.

Michael Young: I think it looks like she will leave it alone at this point, but I do think we should correct her assertion that the minority report wasn't sent along because it was sent along.

Chuck Gomes: Yes, now who wants to correct it? I'm willing, but I'm perfectly willing to have one of you do it as well.

Olga Cavalli: I can do that.

Chuck Gomes: Thanks, Olga.

Olga Cavalli: Julie if you could help me by sending me links of the documents and background material because I may not have time to find it or I could maybe not find it.

Julie Hedlund: Well, this is Julie. I can find the (unintelligible). I think it's on one of the past - it's probably in the GNSO Council workspace, so I will look for it there. But I should note that Victoria may come back with a concern in that I seem to recall that her concern was that the document was linked as opposed to included (the full text) and she felt by that being linked it was essentially being omitted. This is obviously not my opinion. I'm simply recalling what she had said previously, so there may still be a little bit more you know said on the material, but I think it's still worthwhile for you to say something and I will find that link for you and send it to you.

Olga Cavalli: Okay, if you find it, then I can make a reference and send her the correct information. Any other comments about the Task 1 document?

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie. The changes that I will make is already in the document. I've already - I'm going to add an additional appendix, which I listed the Work Team members. I will indicate which subtask leaders, which are inactive members, were and I will make Chuck's changes. And I don't think that there are any other changes that I've - oh and I will add a reference in the background section or executive summary section that - to the Work Team task leaders in Appendix B. And I don't know of any other changes just to be clear before I - you know before we move on.

Olga Cavalli: Great. So Julie, could you send us a new version? Do you have an idea when could you return it to us?

Julie Hedlund: I'm planning on doing it this morning. I have another call at 10:00 and then I will work on it immediately thereafter. It shouldn't be very long, so I will have it done today certainly I think early in the day. And this will be a clean document as opposed to redline, which I think we have all agreed on the changes. So it should be a document that you could then forward on to the OSC.

Olga Cavalli: So my proposal is the following. Once you list in the document, which would be ready to send to the OSC, we take the weekend for reviewing it. And if I hear no comments, I will take silence as I'm okay with it and I send it on Monday to Philip. Does it sound like a good plan?

Michael Young: I think that sounds very appropriate and I'm very happy to see the document move forward.

Olga Cavalli: Great. Any other comments.

Chuck Gomes: Sounds.

Olga Cavalli: Great. Thank you, Chuck. I am the one to send it or it's Julie? I don't remember what was the procedure with the other document that we sent.

Julie Hedlund: Olga, normally it's the Work Team leaders who send the document to the OSC.

Olga Cavalli: Okay, fine. Any other comments about Task 1 document? Great. Thank you very much and thank you for all of the effort put into this document. I'm glad that we are almost ready to send it. The OSC is waiting for it. They have it in their agenda, so I think we are moving forward with our work.

And now I would like to review where we are at with Task 2 document about (outreach), and we have a comment sent by Michael, and we have Debbie's,

so maybe I give the floor to Debbie so she can lead this part of the conversation and maybe Michael can comment about his suggestion on the list.

Debra Hughes: Thanks, Olga. One housekeeping matter I just would like to throw out there to the group. Philip Sheppard has asked me for any type of update that I could provide to the OSC that would be included in their meeting agenda for June 19. So I was wondering if there was some sort of update that we were all comfortable providing. The second point would be he also asked when do we expect to be complete with this task, and that's something else that I wanted to discuss.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you, Debbie. Just also for letting you know, when I communicated with Philip the day before yesterday that we were sending the Task 1 document, I also told him that - and this is something that I have discussed with Debbie. Not with the rest of you, but just to show you that we have in mind that perhaps a good due date for finishing our Task 2 document could be July 1, but it was just an idea that we were starting our work, and that Debbie was leading it, and we have done a lot of progress, and we were doing well, but we still have - we are still working so we don't have exactly an idea when we could be finishing.

So this - I sent him this date as a reference and I'm glad that you have already communicated with him about some comments or about the (unintelligible) in their meeting. Hello.

Debra Hughes: Hello. No, I'm still here.

Olga Cavalli: I heard a lot of noise and...

Debra Hughes: Yes, I'm trying to put myself on mute when I'm not speaking. I apologize.

So I guess the first question is do we think it makes sense to continue speaking via email to get some substance, or do we think we need another call separate and apart from these? Well I guess now that the other task is finished, we could devote these meetings to just Task 2, right. So I'm just wondering what the group needs from me to help move this forward because just need some substance here at this point. And I understand - and Michael I know you had a lot of really great ideas, but I'm wanting some others.

Chuck Gomes: Let me comment on that, Debbie, and thanks for taking the lead on this one. I would appreciate it if the subgroup would continue working. And if they use these calls to do that, that's fine, but I personally would rather not get heavily involved in this until you guys have a draft document that you want to send to the whole Working Team.

So what I would recommend is that you use these calls if you like for the subtask working team, and then as soon as we're ready for the total work team to focus on the product that you guys produce, we then bring the full working team back involved. And that's strictly a practical issue for me. I don't in the least minimize the topic; I just am so overwhelmed with other stuff that I'd rather get involved at a point when it's ready for the full working team.

Olga Cavalli: I'm sorry. I was talking with the operator and I couldn't follow you Chuck. One thing that I would like to clarify is that we've started to use this call for starting with Task 2 because we were having calls every week and that was my idea. And I found it useful to use - not that - and I was calling it a week for the same working team, so this is the reason that I agree with you that maybe the working team should work and then provide an outcome as a draft out to the whole working.

Chuck Gomes: Yes and that's all I'm saying, Olga. In other words - and I hope nobody is offended by this, but I will drop off the calls and let the subtask teams you know develop their work, and then I'll jump back in once you have a document for the full working team to review. I don't know if there's anybody

else in that status or not, but for me and especially leading up to Brussels where I'm overwhelmed with stuff to do, that will help me a lot.

Olga Cavalli: That's okay, Chuck.

Chuck Gomes: Okay.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Chuck Gomes: In fact, if they are going to switch to that task now and since I have a conflicting call, I'm going to jump off. Is that all right?

Olga Cavalli: That's perfect. Have a good weekend.

Chuck Gomes: And thanks to all of you that are working on that subtask. I appreciate that. Okay, have a good weekend.

Michael Young: Hey, Chuck. Enjoy your long weekend.

Chuck Gomes: Okay, thanks.

Olga Cavalli: Bye.

Chuck Gomes: (Unintelligible) on Monday.

Debra Hughes: So for the work that we have for Task 2, I know Michael you had some ideas that you were doodling. Does it make sense for everybody to maybe focus on a particular area that you have a passion for or are more interested in? I'm talking about this topic. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get feedback from the others on the call. Like Rafik I know you have an interest in this as well, so I'm just trying to figure out how we can actually (unintelligible) to this document.

Rafik Dammak: You read my mind, Debbie. I was actually going to on the call today suggest a couple of things that I'd like to focus on and do a good job on rather than chase a bunch of ideas.

Debra Hughes: Right. Right. So why don't - so do you want to do this. I mean since it seems like - let's take a look at I guess the big picture document and it seems that there's a couple of areas where we could maybe try to divide up this task into topics, right.

I mean one is how do we engage the current members of constituencies as they can become more engaged, right. Isn't that one of the takeaways that we got from I guess our last couple of calls that we're providing recommendations to existing constituencies and groups about increasing participation within their stakeholder group, or committee, or their interest group, right.

And then I guess there's the issue of how then do we help them reach out to get additional members into their constituency, or interest group, or stakeholder group, right.

Rafik Dammak: Right.

Debra Hughes: Is everybody following me? So I guess that's - there is two tasks. And then I guess underneath of those you know when you are talking about your existing constituency, what are some - what are those recommendations? What are the tools that we want to recommend? What are the methods that already exist? And do we want to evaluate those? Do we want to recommend others? And then I think the same thing for the second category. The folks that we want to bring into the fold and to provide tools and suggestions for bring people into the existing constituencies.

So I mean Michael which section or which areas were you thinking about focusing on?

Michael Young: Well so I see that there's a big idea in there. Well first of all I think to get momentum on these things and not just have it be turned into a mental exercise that nobody ever actually does or executes on, right.

Debra Hughes: Right.

Michael Young: You've got to grasp onto two or three strong well-formed suggestions that basically are described well enough so that a - this committee. So let's start with the committee, right.

The idea of the committee I think is excellent. I think what we should do is somebody should (stay back) and look at other similar outreach committees and develop the structure and suggested working methodologies for that committee in fairly good detail so that people don't waste months and months on deciding how the committee is going to work.

Woman: But without a strong plan for - so the committee can become effective very quickly.

Woman: Okay.

Michael Young: So I think that would be one big task someone could pick up. And that's not the one I'm going to volunteer for, but it's one that (unintelligible).

Debra Hughes: Okay.

Michael Young: The other thing is picking up a couple of objectives that the - executions that the committee can work on executing right away. So and then of course in the future, they can come up with their own new ideas and new initiatives. It just gives them something to run with right out of the gate.

And one of them - one idea I had was - because I've been talking. I have strong relationships in (ISOC) and so does ICANN in general, but I've been a - you know I've been an (ISOC) member for over a decade. And I was talking with a couple of people there and I have a few follow up conversations to do, but I was looking to them because they and the (IPF) has done very technical versions of this. But in the late 90s, they were doing developing countries workshops.

And I was thinking, "Wow, now what if what we did was focused on an ICANN organizing sponsor developing countries workshop that was partners with someone like (ISOC) and you know something like a three-day event." One day - all instructional, all for people coming in at the ground level. And so you know one day it could be really you know - what (ISOC) typically does is go out and teach and talk to countries about connecting with the Internet and expanding their Internet infrastructure and security concerns and cyber threats and so forth.

A day could be on Internet policy and governance and in a very non-judgmental way, but more on an information way. So you spend a day - and that could be various ICANN volunteers. And by ICANN volunteers, I mean people from stakeholders groups, constituencies coming in and talking about the various issues that are being discussed. Talking about the history of the issues and not passing judgment but just informing. And then another day could be really dummies guide to getting involved in ICANN.

You know maybe that's a half-day or a three quarter day. I'm not sure how long that one needs, but it becomes a three day - you know by the end of it, I should have a very good grasp on you know really what the Internet is, what it means to my developing country, what the opportunities are, and how I get involved in ICANN and participate with it.

And so I'd like to volunteer to build a - you know a structure or a plan or a suggestion on - that a committee could roll forward fairly quickly with on an

event like that. Also warm up just partners like (ISOC) to the possibility. And you know what? If the event does go ahead, if the group agrees to make the recommendation, and it actually gets adopted, I would personally be willing to put my own time into helping organize an event like this. I think it's a really important thing to do. So that's one of the things I'd like to volunteer to do.

Debra Hughes: That sounds great, Michael.

Michael Young: And then the other idea I - you know it goes back to really focusing on building a dummies guide to ICANN you know for those people that don't have the money, the means, the ability to make it to a conference like I'm talking about or a workshop that I'm talking about. At least there's be a very, very good you know online publication. And frankly, I think we should print it as well for those people that you know do not have easy access to the Internet, but want to learn about it and learn how to get involved and make that available. And if you will, maybe that's almost like a printed or a published version of the workshop.

Debra Hughes: that's what I was going to say. So that would be like a wonderful document or like you know the conference materials that you would even get the workshop, right.

Michael Young: Yes.

Debra Hughes: So that if you weren't there that you would still have the same takeaways from that curriculum.

Michael Young: Right and I think those two items I could - you know I'm happy to go out for the document. I'm happy to go out and look for best practices, get examples of other - I mean this is not new stuff. Other people have done things like this and you know I could find example documents that we should emulate, and so forth, and do some research and pull together some really coherent - more than just a lightweight recommendation.

But you know I would imagine a lot of stuff would go into an (appendices) or a (past due) document, but you know I just want to give that committee something. Some real meat that they could take away and start executing with immediately, right.

Debra Hughes: Yes, well thank you so much for that feedback. I mean I think - you know when I was thinking about this concept, the whole idea of creating another committee was making me cringe, but I think you know to really do this well it really requires I thought some coordination. And you know thank you for the support of that idea. I'm more than happy to take that and tackle that and try to flush that out with other stakeholders within ICANN to figure out how something like that would even happen. So if you could take the lead on the heavy lifting on you know some of the specific deliverables.

Because I think the most important thing, which you mentioned as crucial, is to give them some concrete things that they could run with. So that as the committee starts to evolve and they start to figure out does this even make sense, we've already given them a roadmap of what to start with, so they are not just shaking their heads or scratching their skulls figuring out what to do next.

Michael Young: Yes, I think it's just there for eight months before everyone gets enough of a consensus (unintelligible), right.

Debra Hughes: That's right. That's right. Oh, well we created this committee, now what, right.

Michael Young: Yes, exactly.

Debra Hughes: Oh, I think that's great. Anybody - I can't recall who else is still on the line. Rafik, are you still there?

Rafik Dammak: Yes, I have a question to (Mike). I didn't get his point about the workshop. Did he mean to organize the workshop along with (Mike) in it or an (ISOC) conference or to organize a workshop?

Michael Young: It could be in conjunction - yes, Rafik. We could look at tying it along and making it a part of an existing conference that already has good attendance or it could be tied to something that ICANN does. But I think the point I was trying to make is we should have a partner like (ISOC) to come in and do a day's worth of the workshop on kind of more technical and more - some of the things like - more technical aspects of the Internet as well.

Rafik Dammak: But that's why I'm a bit worried. Because I know more (ISOC) conferences target real particular communities, so I don't understand to outreach beyond this community because many of this community are already somehow involved with ICANN.

Michael Young: Right. Let me tell - I have some ideas on that. So long with developing the workshop, I'm also working on where we can find different outreach venues that are not commonly used to entreat new people into ICANN ultimately and not just you know existing old faces that have already been involved with (ISOC) or are already involved with ICANN in the past. Because we want to get some new faces in there as well, so I'm very carefully looking for sources.

One of the things that is specifically asked for in our recommendation is to reach out to NGOs. So I found that the United Nations maintains a database of registered NGOs, so I put a call into the department that manages that, so I will be talking with them.

And for example if we can take some of the - and they divide their database up into different categories, and one of them is NGOs that are focused on technical cooperation, which you know in some cases technical cooperation in industries has nothing to do with technology. But while I was looking through the list, I saw a ton of organizations that would be appropriate, so I'm

going to make some suggestions on creating an outreach list you know through education associations, through NGOs.

And the other thing that's common even in developing countries and you know first and second world countries as well - what they all have in common is most governments have some type of business development corporation that's sponsored by the government to help young and new businesses spin up. So we could also reach out to them because they have huge databases as well of potential participants, so we get the entrepreneurs, we get the educators, and reach out to them in avenues we haven't before.

Rafik Dammak: I'm not sure about government and usually I don't advise to contact governments for some reasons to contacts governments about (unintelligible) use or (unintelligible). But I'm not advising to (unintelligible), but I am kind of cautious to have contact with some governments.

Michael Young: Well I hear you and I understand those concerns, but you know even if we go in through education facilities and we go in through NGOs and so forth, we all know this will flow back to various government circles and you know I think it's unrealistic. Even through the GAAC, right, they are going to see this workshop being spun up and these activities, so the awareness will be there. It's almost - I think we're just asking for participants. We're asking for people to come and attend the workshop. That's very different than you know whether or not we're asking the government representative to come join a stakeholders group that is - that they shouldn't be joining, right. Those are kind of two different issues as I see it.

Tony Harris: Could I say something? Tony Harris here.

Michael Young: Absolutely, Tony.

Tony Harris: Yes, I'm sorry I joined late. I had some trouble getting to the office.

I would like to help you with this Michael in any way you see fit. I - my day job actually is building organizations. And from my participation in global knowledge partnership, which is international alliance of 140 NGOs and organisms, we have a lot of NGOs particularly from the educational sector and also from this huge event that GKB at the end of 2007. There's a lot of information on NGOs who participated - several hundred of them as a matter of fact.

And I think your idea on technical cooperation as a buzz phrase is good. I would throw in another one, which would be knowledge management, which was - is something, which they consider important in educational NGOs. And again, the question of Internet governance is still listed as one of the objectives for development by the United Nations in the different funding and donor organizations. So I think you are quite right. There is a lot of potential in approaching NGOs on something like this.

The other thing I would suggest would be chambers of commerce because the business sector is I think pretty under represented in ICANN, although some people may disagree with that. But you have some very large companies, but not many organizations that represent small or medium enterprise, particularly in developing countries.

Michael Young: Tony, at what point did you join the call?

Tony Harris: About ten minutes ago when you started talking about you'd like to pilot this.

Michael Young: Good. Okay, so one of the things - chambers of commerce is a great idea. When I did a research project on Internet growth in South Africa a few years ago, I met with their chamber of commerce and that was very informative and led me to talking to a bunch of start up companies.

A lot of governments I'm aware of have what I will you as a common term of business development corporations, which are kind of arms length almost like

incubator organizations where they have some government issued funds that they can in turn do start up loans to businesses and provide them with consultation and guidance in getting things going. So I'm hoping that you know between those two vectors we will target you know an area of small companies that really hasn't shown any - very little interest so far, right, in ICANN.

Tony Harris: That sounds like a great idea. Actually, I was listening to what Rafik said about governments and I share his concerns. In some countries of the world, definitely there is a lot of antagonism towards ICANN. Many countries have this culture of we belong to the IPU and that's it. You know we don't want to talk to anybody else. Rafik has a good point. It's not always perhaps the easiest way to get to some of these NGOs that we're looking for.

Michael Young: Sure. So okay, it sounds like we're all agreeing here.

Tony Harris: Yes, so count on me if you know - if you are - I lost - I didn't see the initial thread of how you came to propose this workshop and everything. I guess you are thinking of doing one in Brussels during the ICANN meeting. Is that correct?

Michael Young: No, no, no. This is bigger than I could get going in that timeframe. Tony, the idea was - so Debbie's document suggests or calls for a committee, right, on outreach. And I was suggesting that I wanted to build - I think it would be a good idea to build a couple of concrete executable ideas with lots of information around them to get the ball rolling quickly. Outreach type of (unintelligible) activities.

Tony Harris: I heard that, yes.

Michael Young: Yes.

Tony Harris: I heard that, yes. But will this - I'm sorry. Will this committee be within this group, which is on the call now, or will it be something, which will be created outside of what we have been doing these last few months?

Michael Young: Yes, the idea is that the committee would be a long-lived ICANN entity with the ongoing purpose of maintaining outreach activities.

Tony Harris: This would be a new committee then.

Michael Young: Yes.

Tony Harris: Okay, I'd like to be a part of that if it happens.

Michael Young: I would love to too. I think it's - I'm very enthusiastic about it. I think it's a great idea.

Tony Harris: Okay, thank you.

Michael Young: So Tony I will contact you offline because certainly I am reaching out all over the place to build you know contact pathways, and your background in NGOs is wonderfully useful for this. That's fantastic.

Tony Harris: Okay.

Debra Hughes: And Tony, the committee idea is like a huge idea that we're still trying to wrap our hands around. What would that mean training a committee that's devoted to outreach in the outreach mission of ICANN?

And so what I volunteered to do was to figure out what that means within the ICANN structure so that we're not adding too much red tape, but that we're keeping ICANN honest with its you know plan that global outreach is important and that trying to loop in all of the different ICANN stakeholders you know whether it be people who are doing outreach in the CCNSO or people

who are doing you know outreach wherever so that we're all singing hopefully with the same type of music.

I mean of course they - you know the board has a public participation committee. There's folks on the board. You know there's a public participation committee. How do all of these organizations within ICANN work together perhaps towards global outreach? So that was the big idea and now it's time to pare it down to what's realistic and what we can actually execute.

Olga Cavalli: Debbie can I comment on something?

Debra Hughes: Yes, ma'am. Sorry. I was on mute and I couldn't get off mute. Michael I would like to offer my help for Latin American. I am deeply involved in several education projects about Internet governance and also I am a university teacher.

I think one of the key issues of outreach could be universities. I teach in technical universities where people are teaching about networking and about Internet, and they have no idea that ICANN exists and that there are constituencies that they can make their voices heard or that they can participate in public policy development or something like that.

So I think that education is one of the key elements and we - and I am the Regional Director for the South School of Internet Governance by the way. (Unintelligible) has been one of our (cohorts) helping us doing a project, which has been very interesting and very pioneer and brought young people of different stakeholder groups to be aware of what is the Internet and policies of the Internet and about ICANN and about the (IGF). So about Latin America, I can offer you my experience.

And something I would like to comment on is that all the outreach that ICANN is doing in Latin America for now - it's only - and I'm not saying this is wrong, I'm saying this is limited. It's only about ccTLDs, which is okay, but there are

many other things that involve ICANN activities. And I think that maybe it's because the region is not so much developed or maybe the Internet market is not so much developed in Latin America. So it's - I can help you with (regional vision) and my experience (and let you know).

Michael Young: Oh, you absolutely can. And you know this leads to the idea of you know a workshop like this creating very robust materials that people can download or have a printed publication if they want to. And you know I can see these being teaching materials for professors to use to in turn pass on to their students. So if we had good attendance from various professors from different teaching organizations to a workshop like this and they in turn took those materials back and introduced them into their curriculum, just think about how fast that would populate. That would be great.

Rafik Dammak: I'm sorry, Olga.

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Rafik Dammak: (Unintelligible), but maybe if you can get (unintelligible) from the (unintelligible) or the group and partnership. I think that they have some knowledge and experience in outreach. For example in the Middle East and Africa.

Olga Cavalli: I didn't hear the name of the - I have a lot of noise on the line. I didn't hear the name of the institution that you named.

Rafik Dammak: It's in ICANN. It's the (unintelligible) program.

Julie Hedlund: Olga, this is Julie. He said global ownership in ICANN.

Olga Cavalli: Okay, maybe ICANN - yes, I have a lot of noise. That's okay. Maybe we should all send this information to Debbie and/or maybe Michael about the

workshop. In my case, the information about Latin America, and they can concentrate this input.

Debra Hughes: Okay, well it's almost 10 o'clock.

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Debra Hughes: So why don't we do this. Over the next week, if you are interested in helping Michael with the workshop and the materials or any suggestions about outreach and suggestions for you know different organizations for him to you know include in that process, go ahead and email Michael. Is that okay Michael?

Michael Young: Sounds great.

Debra Hughes: And then I will start working on this committee concept. And if anybody has any suggestions at all on what this committee should look like, how broad it should or shouldn't be, other people that I should be looping in, you know how often they should meet, I mean any ideas about if there was going to be a outreach committee at ICANN, and what it should look like. If you could shoot those ideas to me, then maybe the next time we meet we can see where we are with those. How does that sound?

Olga Cavalli: That's great, Debbie. How do you see the meeting biweekly, every week? How do you see the calls so that we can tell Gisella and Julie to organize our calls?

Debra Hughes: Right, so I think I would like to meet at least one more time before Brussels. Is that fine with everybody?

Olga Cavalli: That's okay for me.

Debra Hughes: Okay so is it - do you think it's better for us just to take next week off and then meet again on the 11th? What is everybody thinking?

Julie Hedlund: Debbie, this is Julie. I would - for selfish reasons I won't be. I will be working at a remote location next week actually in an island in the Caribbean. I will be taking vacation for part of the time, but I will be working also. But I'm not sure how good my broadband access will be, so I don't know - I can't say for sure now whether or not I'd be able to dial in to the call next Friday.

Debra Hughes: So is everybody okay with - instead of having a meeting, everybody promises to work, and then we will reconvene on June 11. How is that?

Olga Cavalli: I have a comment.

Debra Hughes: Yes, ma'am.

Olga Cavalli: How many are we in the sub working team.

Debra Hughes: That's a good question.

Olga Cavalli: Because maybe we can share - if we are not too many, it could be good if - so we don't overlap what we are thinking or doing or using the other information to improve our thoughts. Maybe we can all share in our short email list - Michael I copy you, and I copy Rafik, and I copy...

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: I don't think that we are too many and I think that will help the flow of information. And we meet in Brussels. Remember we have a face to face already in our agenda.

Julie Hedlund: Olga, this is Julie. That's fine, but keep in mind that for - if you do respond or at least copy - include as a copy this work team list and the emails will be archived if you simply email...

Olga Cavalli: No. No, not the whole working team, the ones in the sub working team.

Julie Hedlund: I understand what you are saying, but we don't have - that's not an archived - that's not an official - that would just be emailing back and forth. So that means that none of your...

Olga Cavalli: Oh, okay. (Is that a record)?

Julie Hedlund: I don't know that that's a problem, but generally for transparency sake, work of the work team is supposed to be captured, in which case it would be better probably to use the main list.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Chuck Gomes: Sorry to interrupt, but I do have to drop off.

Julie Hedlund: (Unintelligible), but you know that at least they can see what's happening even if they are not engaged in particular (unintelligible).

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Debra Hughes: So why don't we just continue. Okay, well we will continue to use the work team's email list maybe in the subject line so that people know. We can say that it's related Task 2.

Olga Cavalli: That's a great idea.

Julie Hedlund: Yes. Yes.

Debra Hughes: And then Julie could you let the group know that we decided we are going to take next Friday off, but we're going to continue to email, and that we will reconvene on the 11th.

Julie Hedlund: Right, I will write up notes from today's meeting and the action items related to this task and as action items to be conveying information to Michael and to you. And I will make that on you know the specific topics we discussed and that the next call will be on the 11th.

Debra Hughes: Thank you so much everybody.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you, Debbie. Thank you very much everyone for joining and have a nice weekend.

Debra Hughes: Have a good weekend.

Olga Cavalli: Bye-bye.

END