

GNSO
Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC)
Constituency Operations Work Team
14 May 2010 at 13:00 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC) Constituency Operations Work Team teleconference 14 May 2010 at 13:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at: <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-constituency-ops-20100514.mp3>

On page:
<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#may>

Participants present:

Olga Cavalli – NCA – Work Team Chair
Michael Young – Registries
Claudio Digangi – IPC
Debra Hughes – NCSG
Tony Harris – ISPCP (last 15 minutes)
Chuck Gomes – Registries Stakeholder Group
Rafik Dammak – NCSG

ICANN Staff

Rob Hoggarth
Glen de Saint Géry
Gisella Gruber-White

Apologies:

Julie Hedlund

Coordinator: The call is now recorded. Please go ahead.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you. Thank you very much. Good morning, good evening, everyone.
Thank you for joining. Gisella, please be so kind to help me do a roll call.

Gisella Gruber-White: With pleasure. Good morning, good afternoon to everyone. On today's call we have Olga Cavalli, Rafik Dammak, Claudio DiGangi, Debra Hughes. From staff we have Rob Hoggarth, Glen de Saint Gery, myself, Gisella Gruber-White. And I only have apologies from Julie Hedlund. Please just a reminder to everyone, to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you. Over to you, Olga.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you very much, Gisella.

Gisella Gruber-White: Sorry to interrupt.

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Gisella Gruber-White: Tony Harris will be joining in about 20 minutes. We'll be calling, dialing back to him.

Olga Cavalli: Okay, great.

Gisella Gruber-White: Thank you.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you for letting me know. Thank you for joining. We have proposed two things to do today. I would like to finish the document about Task 1, and see if we agree in the final wording. And unfortunately Julie is not here, but we can send a message to her that she can put a final version and see if we have minority reports.

Claudio sent some very interesting changes that I liked, and also Chuck commented saying that he agreed in those changes. I would like to know if the rest of the group thinks of those changes and we accept them.

Claudio DiGangi: Olga, would you want me to maybe just run through what they were? Or...

Olga Cavalli: Yes, I was trying to open the document, so if you're so kind.

Claudio DiGangi: Yes, sure. I just added a second part to the title of the document. And, you know, as I was actually thinking about it, I wasn't sure if we wanted to - if it was sufficient the way we have it now, which reads Common Operating Principles and Participation Guidelines for GNSO Stakeholder Groups and

Constituencies. And I had just suggested the second part there for GNSO Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies.

We also have recommendations about the database, and so I wasn't sure if we wanted to indicate that up front in the title that, you know, we also are including recommendations on a GNSO database, which is, I think, a little bit broader than just the constituencies and the stakeholder groups. I think it was intended to include participants who might not be in either of those. So that's why I was thinking maybe we want to perhaps reference the database separately in the title.

Olga Cavalli: This is Olga. My only concern about doing a very long title, which I agree with you that it's more self-explanatory, maybe sometimes long titles are confusing. But I'm not saying that this is the case. This is not my only concern that we may have if we also add, for example, the issue about databases and all that.

So keeping a broader title, then we go through in the example in the document, and you see all the content. That's my only comment about - I like your suggestion. I'm not sure if I would add the issue about databases. But I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong.

Claudio DiGangi: Yes, I agree with you. I was kind of struggling with this thing. It does seem like the title's already pretty long. Are we going to keep the part above what I just read off? Are we going to include that as well, where it says GNSO Operations Steering Committee, Constituency and Stakeholder Group Operating Work Team?

Olga Cavalli: Tell me one thing. I'm trying to open. I have several documents. Which is - what's the name - no, this is tough. It's the one that says Revised 7 May.

Claudio DiGangi: Yes, yes.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. Sorry. Sorry for the confusion, but I have so many documents.

Chuck Gomes: Olga, this is Chuck.

Olga Cavalli: Chuck, how are you?

Chuck Gomes: I'm okay. I'm calling you from Moscow. I won't be able to stay on for...

Olga Cavalli: Oh, Moscow. What time is it there now?

Chuck Gomes: Oh, it's a good time here. It's 5:10 in the afternoon.

Olga Cavalli: Oh.

(Michael): Olga, it's (Michael). I've been on here, too, for about five minutes.

Olga Cavalli: (Michael), how are you? You're in Moscow, too?

(Michael): Good. How are you? No, no, I'm not in Moscow. I'm in the US right now.

Olga Cavalli: Chuck, you sound like - calling from Moscow. You sound like very distant.

Chuck Gomes: Yes, well I'm using a Bluetooth, so maybe I should just, you know, I'll do the best I can here. I don't know what the connection's like. It sounds okay from my end.

Olga Cavalli: It sounds good. You sound a little distant, but that's okay. Thank you for joining, and thank you for joining as you are doing other things there in the IGF of Russia.

We were just discussing some suggestions made by Claudio about adding more wording to the title. I said that I was just concerned about that it would be so long, but maybe a little bit confusing. I prefer shorter general titles, and

then go into details through the index or through the document. But I'm just opening the document. Claudio, you were saying something about the title?

Claudio DiGangi: Yes, just I wasn't sure if we were going to leave in the reference to the work team that, you know, basically says we're the GNSO Operations Steering Committee Work Team. I presume I guess we probably will leave that in there, but I thought that's what was kind of making the title a little long.

Olga Cavalli: So it says GNSO Operations Team Committee Constituency and Stakeholder Group Operating Work Team, Common Operating Principles and Participation Guidelines.

Chuck Gomes: Yes, we wouldn't need to leave the Work Team title in there. As long as it's clear what the recommendations are for. That can be stated in the intro.

Olga Cavalli: Yes, I agree. I agree. One question for Chuck. Who would be taking some notes? So I should do that for letting Julie know how it's the new version?

Robert Hoggarth: Olga, this is Rob. I'm taking written notes. I'm not at a computer, but I'm taking written notes, and Julie and I will be collaborating after the call when she's done her other responsibilities for today.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. Okay, thank you, Rob. It's not that I can't take notes, but I'm not doing that. So thank you very much. So just for finalizing this issue about the title, what would it look like, Claudio? What's your suggestion?

Claudio DiGangi: Well I guess it would be then to delete the first part which references the Operations Steering Committee. And I guess one option would be we would add in that, you know, there's recommendations regarding the database.

Olga Cavalli: So it would be Common Operating Principles and Participation Guidelines? And there we add about - I don't have the other (unintelligible) there.

Claudio DiGangi: Yes, it's for GNSO Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies.

Olga Cavalli: And we don't say - do we want to add about the database also?

Claudio DiGangi: I think it might make sense, because I think otherwise we might be presuming that someone's going to read through the document to, you know, see that there are recommendations about that.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. I think you're right. What do others think?

Chuck Gomes: Yes, the point Claudio makes is important, because not everybody will read the whole document. So any key information, if you can have it early on, that's smart.

Olga Cavalli: I agree. Any other comments? Great. Claudio, so please be so kind to rewrite the title and send it to Julie and Rob, so she can add it to the first part of the document.

Claudio DiGangi: Sure.

Chuck Gomes: So tell me again what the title's going to be.

Claudio DiGangi: Well so right now we have Common Operating Principles and Participation Guidelines for GNSO Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies. And then I guess I would just put a space there or maybe an and, and then add in Recommendations Regarding a GNSO Database.

Chuck Gomes: How about just saying Recommendations for Common Operating Principles and Participation Guidelines for Constituencies and Stakeholder Groups. Well it's still long, isn't it? Whatever we do.

Olga Cavalli: I wouldn't repeat the term Recommendation. It says for GNSO Stakeholder and Constituencies and About GNSO Database.

Claudio DiGangi: Okay. That makes sense. So we wouldn't have Recommendations in there at all then. It's not in there now.

Chuck Gomes: That's really what it is, isn't it? It's some recommendations.

Claudio DiGangi: Yes.

Chuck Gomes: That's a key word.

Claudio DiGangi: So we want to have that in there, right?

Chuck Gomes: I think so.

Olga Cavalli: I don't want to have it twice.

Chuck Gomes: No, we don't need it twice. You're right. But it should - I mean that's what we're submitting is our recommendations.

Olga Cavalli: What about this -- Recommendations for Common Operating Principles and Participation Guidelines for GNSO Stakeholder and Constituencies and for GNSO Databases?

Chuck Gomes: I don't even know if we need the GNSO Database. I know we have that in there, but really isn't that part of - isn't that to support constituencies and stakeholder groups? I'm okay with it in there. I'm just trying to come up with a way to keep it a little bit shorter.

Olga Cavalli: I think it becomes a little long, but it's more explanatory.

Chuck Gomes: Okay, that's fine. I'm good with that.

Olga Cavalli: Should I say it again for the whole group?

Claudio DiGangi: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: Okay, it's Recommendations - I'm writing it down - for Common. Recommendations for Common Operating Principles and Participation Guidelines for GNSO - sorry. Recommendations for Common Operating Principles and Participation Guidelines - I'm lost.

((Crosstalk))

Olga Cavalli: Constituencies and Stakeholder Groups and for GNSO Databases.

Chuck Gomes: Yes, and Julie and Rob or whoever can, you know, make it smoother if it needs to be, but we've got the concept.

Olga Cavalli: Yes, please. I'm not a native speaker, so if I'm using a wrong word, let me know. Okay, are we okay with the title? Great. So this other part that says for Work Team Consideration and all that should go away if we make a final version for the OSC. Claudio, you made other suggestions which I found interesting. Could you tell us what were them about?

Claudio DiGangi: Yes, one was I just in the Background section I added to the sentence that was referring to the stakeholder groups within the council structure. And I just added that to make it within the GNSO structure. And then there was another sentence where we had the term limits for the GNSO councilors, and the edit was to just delete that sentence, because it's already in the ICANN bylaws, and just to avoid confusion basically with those provisions.

And I think that was it. I think those were the three changes. I had actually noticed that in the - I think in a couple of places it's just a minor point. We had previously gone back and changed the shalls to should, and I just noticed there was a couple of places where it was still saying shall.

One I think is quoting the ICANN bylaws, so I think that one should stay in there. But I think the other two were just - they just might have been changes that didn't get picked up. So I just wanted to note those as well. If you want, I could send that to Rob and Julie, but it's again just a minor thing.

Chuck Gomes: Well I could just do a search and see where - on all the shalls, and make sure only the ones remaining are the ones that are appropriate like from the bylaws.

Claudio DiGangi: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: Comments to Claudio's suggestions? I'm okay with them.

Robert Hoggarth: This is Rob. Just a general observation. One of the things that we've consciously done from a staff perspective, particularly with this work team and given the active discussions on so many issues, is we really have, you know, stepped back and have not actively, you know, wordsmithed or managed any of your efforts.

So but we're happy to make any contributions that you guys want us to. But we have been, you know, judiciously hands-off, and are happy to maintain that point of view if that's the wishes. Otherwise we can, you know, take some editorial license and just clean up headings and otherwise make the document consistent with other work team submissions. It's whatever you guys would like in that respect.

Olga Cavalli: This is Olga. Thank you, Robert. I think it's a very good offer. Once we agreed in all this content changes, I think - by the way, Julie has made a great job in making all the changes as we have been going through our work. So yes, please, once we agreed in the final text, if you can make it look better and with (unintelligible) as much as the rest of the - I think I'm okay with that. I don't know about the rest of us, but I think it's a very good suggestion.

Chuck Gomes: I agree, Olga, and I would just suggest that first we do - that a redline's created for these changes we made today, so it makes it real easy for people that aren't on the call to be aware of exactly what we decided on the call today, and make sure they're okay with that. Once we get that by, and then I think just a clean-up redline done by staff would be excellent.

(Michael): Olga, it's (Michael). I second what Chuck's saying.

Olga Cavalli: Fantastic. Okay. I totally agree. So let's do this. Let's do our work, our new version of the document and then let you guys make it look more beautiful. And always thanks for all your effort. And Julie has been great to the group and she has done a great job in putting all this together. Okay. Are we okay with Claudio's suggestions?

Chuck Gomes: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: Hearing none, I take the sign as a yes. Claudio, (Victoria) has been asking in the list some information she needed from you to make a minority report. Did you get a chance to see that?

Claudio DiGangi: I did, and I have not actually had a chance to respond to her. So I guess I could respond to her off-list if she's waiting for that.

Olga Cavalli: Yes, because I think that if we have this version, then I think that we all agree. And with the changes that will be reflected in the new version that maybe Julie will send in the next few days, then we could be okay with it, and we should ask minority report, if any. And she has been asking for that information. So if you would be so kind to send her the info, or if you don't have it, just tell her in the list that says you cannot provide.

Claudio DiGangi: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you so much. Any other additions that this document could have? Any other minority reports or comments that we may want to include? Great. So let's do the following. Well Rob, could you please tell Julie to prepare a new version and send it to the list? How long could it take us to revise this last draft version? Say that Julie can send it on Monday or Tuesday. One week more? Five days? Could we, if we have the new version by Monday or Tuesday, could we review it for the next Friday and say that we are okay with it?

Chuck Gomes: Yes, we're talking about very little to review, so...

Olga Cavalli: Yes, very little, but I want to be sure that we all agree with that.

Chuck Gomes: No, I agree. I'm just saying you're right. I think if we get it Monday or Tuesday, there shouldn't be any problem in doing it next week.

Olga Cavalli: Great. And I will send a reminder to the list that if someone has a minority report, maybe we can give them until Friday to send it. So if, Claudio, you could be so kind to maybe in one or two days send (Victoria) the information that she's requesting, and so she can send her minority review by next Friday or including the other week.

Claudio DiGangi: Sure.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. I think we're done with Task 1, unless someone has any comments. Great. Thank you very much for the effort put in this document.

Chuck Gomes: And Olga, since I have a conflicting meeting, I'm going to drop off while you work on Task 2, if that's okay.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you for joining, Chuck, and I think we are done with Task 1. Thank you for all your help with this document, and thank you for all of you who contributed to it. I think it is a very interesting document. And hopefully we will

submit it soon to the OSC. So feel free to drop off if you have some other meetings.

Chuck Gomes: Okay.

Olga Cavalli: And regards to our friends there in Russia, and hope you have a good meeting there.

Chuck Gomes: Thank you. We did, so...

Olga Cavalli: By the way, they announced the first Cyrillic IDN today.

Chuck Gomes: Well the first - which one?

Olga Cavalli: IDN in Cyrillic language.

Chuck Gomes: Oh, yes, the .rf. Yes, that was the main celebration in the RIGF. So we spent a lot of time celebrating that.

Olga Cavalli: Great.

Chuck Gomes: They actually gave us that two nights ago. So yes, that was very good. Okay, that was it. (Unintelligible) meeting, guys. Talk to you next week.

Claudio DiGangi: Thanks.

Olga Cavalli: Thanks, Chuck. Have a good flight. Okay, let's start with Task 2. Debbie has sent a very, very good document. Some of us have made some comments. Debbie, is it okay if I give the floor to you, and you share with us what comments - you could share with us what's the document about, which are the parts, and the comments that you have received, and which are the next steps that you could see for us working in the near future?

Debra Hughes: Sure, Olga. This is Debbie. I had a really good conversation with Julie, who was really trying to help me wrap my hands around how to move forward, and just the background behind Task 2, and who the intended audience of this document would be. Because that's what I was wrestling with after our call last week.

We had a lot of good discussion with (Scott), and I tried to take a lot of the comments that (Michael) had suggested and that others on the call had suggested over the past couple of weeks, to try to start moving the process forward and putting it in a format that seemed to coincide with the format for Task 1.

So what I attempted to do with this document was to at least start putting some meat into the document without, you know, understanding of course there's going to be tons of editing. What Julie was really helpful for me was understanding that really the audience, I think, for this document, and you guys can correct me if I'm wrong, is really - it's advice for constituencies and groups within the GNSO related to outreach.

Not just, you know, a big global strategy for ICANN, but more directed recommendations for constituencies related to how they, how constituencies, can become more broad or more diverse and expand within themselves. And then also consider ways in which constituencies and other stakeholder groups and groups within ICANN can also do broader outreach for either consideration of bringing new members to the ICANN community, or to consider the expansion of new groups or constituencies with GNSO.

And so unfortunately I had that conversation with Julie after I created this document, but that's okay. And so the caveat being when I was sitting and creating this document, what I was trying to do was to figure out how could we pull together all the different stakeholders in ICANN that are talking about global outreach. And how will we communicate that to the ICANN community via recommendations.

And so that was the backdrop on how I created this document. Now understanding more, obviously a lot of the ideas that I had -- like creating some committee that would kind of pull together all these people and provide recommendations and provide updates -- seems not appropriate at this point.

But I just wanted to give everybody that backdrop on, you know, why I created the document the way it was. It was my understanding that we were creating recommendations for the entire ICANN community. And I was trying to figure out, well how do you do that? And how do you make sure that, you know, you create a strategy, you create a program for outreach?

And then, how do you make sure that that program first is being effective? And how do you provide ongoing feedback, or the ICANN community anyway - ongoing feedback about the effectiveness of that program and the strategy? And so that was what was inside Debbie's brain when she was creating this document.

And so what I would really love is to hear comments from those of you that are on the phone about what do you think our next step should be. I mean I think it's time for us to start talking about details. And that's kind of where I am.

I think the one thing I did just want to mention is unfortunately I have to jump off the call at 9:45, because I have to walk across over to the White House - a building over by the White House. And it's going to take me about 15 minutes to do that for a 10:00 meeting. But I can stay on the call for the next 15 minutes definitely.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you very much, Debbie. And don't worry. It's okay if you want to leave a little bit early. I think we have a lot of good material to start working with. Any comments to what Debbie has said?

I have a comment. This is Olga. I think it's a very good document. I think that we - as next steps, I would suggest to go maybe (unintelligible) in the document, once some of us have made comments. I encourage the rest of us to make comments as well. My understanding of our task is that we have to develop a global outreach program to broaden participation in constituencies and stakeholder groups.

But at the same time it should be a part of the global strategy of ICANN to do more outreach. And I think it was very interesting, the conversation we had in the last call, because there are some things that are being done. But having more wider participation in constituencies and stakeholder groups in the GNSO will also help the global outreach strategy that ICANN may have as a smaller part of the whole universe of ICANN stakeholders.

I see maybe - and this is my personal impression. It's not that I'm not - just my personal impression is the GNSO is still very much developed countries oriented. It's few participation from developing world. And I think the GNSO could be also more diverse in respect of the countries where people are participating from, and also about regions.

And I think some of the constituencies are very, very low with percentage in some parts of the world. And I'm talking about Latin America. There are very, very few, for example, registrars. Very few people know about the world of registries and registrars. Very few people know that there are constituencies that, if you are not a registrar or registry or an IC, you can also participate in the GNSO building policy for gTLDs.

And this is really not known. I know about this because I have been studying for my PhD the structure of ICANN for many years, but I'm a real person. I'm not the general rule in Latin America. So I think there's a - and it may happen often enough within a nation. So I think there is some opportunity of working with our bridge from the GNSO, but aligned with a general strategy in the

whole ICANN. That's my impression. So we have a nice work to do to produce a document that we can help in doing that.

Debra Hughes: Thank you, Olga. This is Debbie again. That's part of why, in that Background section, when I was trying to wrap my hands around, you know, what are these different potential groups or entities within ICANN, or stakeholders within ICANN, that are talking about this. You know, I know the Public Participation Committee is talking about this. I know that there's the new Vice President of Communications.

I don't know what others are involved in outreach strategy, and one of the things that I wanted to suggest to the group is maybe, as we continue to develop what we think our recommendations are, that perhaps either next week or the following week that we start to ask some of these others to come in and just say, "Hey, this is what we're doing," just to make sure that either we are at least aware of their outreach plans or goals.

And to whatever extent that they inform what we're doing here, I think that might be helpful. So for example, I would especially like to talk to someone from the Public Participation Committee. And that could be a smaller group of us. It could just be me. I mean, I don't care, but I just thought it would be really interesting and important to talk to somebody from that board committee.

And I also think it might be really helpful for a bigger group to speak with Ms. Barbara Clay, since, you know, in her role even though she's new, it might be nice for her to hear that, you know, what some of the things are that we're thinking about and doing. But I don't know what others on the call think about that.

Olga Cavalli: Comments to Debbie's suggestions?

Robert Hoggarth: Olga, this is Rob. I'd like to be in the queue, but I'd reserve my comments until after members of the work team spoke.

Olga Cavalli: I also want to comment, but I don't want to be the only one speaking. Does someone else want to talk? Okay, I'll talk. Debbie, I think it's a very good suggestion. I would suggest you to propose. I would be happy to join you in contacting any of these people that you want to contact about this.

Debra Hughes: Okay.

Olga Cavalli: So maybe you could propose to whom we should contact. And perhaps if we want to join you in this effort, maybe any of us can - so you don't have to do that alone if you're busy, and some of us can jump in in the case that you're not available. So I would suggest - Rafik? You want to comment?

Rafik Dammak: Yes, I was trying to comment just why but, you know, what happened.

Olga Cavalli: Oh, I didn't give you the time. But usually my (unintelligible). Let me finish and you have the floor. So I would suggest that you propose us some strategy for contacting these other parties, and we can join you spontaneously in doing that and maybe helping you. So that's my comment. Rafik, go ahead.

Rafik Dammak: Oh, thank you, Olga. Just wanted to ask Debbie about her discussion with Judy. So my understanding that outreach is only for constituencies?

Debra Hughes: Well remember when I was creating this document, I was thinking, and I guess this is again based on the bigger conversations that we had over the past couple of weeks, that, you know, we were creating a global - this is what my understanding was. And it's probably incorrect. But I was looking at this task as creating a global outreach strategy for ICANN.

And then when I started to read more about this particular task, and what it appears that we were tasked to do, it appears that OSC is really asking us to

take a look at recommendations for constituency groups -- like how do we encourage or what are our recommendations for constituencies in first broadening their membership.

And making sure, you know, that they're global and that they're representative. But also providing recommendations for constituency groups to reach outside of just expanding their own constituencies, to encourage members to either join ICANN and affiliate with ICANN or to create new constituencies.

So that it's really not what I thought it was, which was a big global plan for, you know, how do we communicate? What are our general, you know, strategies for ICANN, capital ICANN? It's more directed to constituencies and recommendations for constituencies and how they expand their membership base.

Rafik Dammak: Sorry, Debbie, but it just - because you were talking about constituencies. And what about the stakeholder, I think, stakeholder groups? Especially now we have four stakeholder groups. So we just focus in constituency outreach? And also, for me, because I am from developing country, I am really more keen towards outreach in developing countries. I don't know what kind of recommendations that you have, but for me it's really important to outreach more developing countries, and also do that within stakeholder groups. So that's my underpinning.

Debra Hughes: Yes, I'm sorry. And my language is not very precise, but I think at the top of the document I have Constituency and Stakeholder Group Operating Work Team. And I think I mentioned in here, too, in the third paragraph, that I borrowed that same language that we have from the Task 1 that we were talking about groups. And that it never (unintelligible) talking about stakeholder groups.

But I will definitely be more precise moving forward, Rafik, and make sure that when I say stakeholder groups and constituencies, instead of just constituencies. But the distinction that I was trying to make so that everybody's clear is that it's really giving recommendations from what I understand. And maybe I'm not reading the task right.

But I'm just trying to wrap my hand around what our remit is, that it's providing recommendations to stakeholder groups and constituencies about broadening their base and encouraging the creation of new stakeholder groups/constituencies, and that we're also encouraging stakeholder groups and constituencies to broaden their base. And that is not our job to provide - or maybe it's something we can consider, as Olga suggested, a more broad global outreach strategy.

And then to your second point about developing countries, certainly I've got that. I think throughout the document that I started to work on, absolutely the focus needs to be on developing countries. And what I said was, in some of this, that - and I'm trying to locate the section where I specifically speak about where that outreach needs to go. But I think I mention non-English speakers and those from developing countries in Section 2.1, which is actually borrowed language from the report, as well as what I understand the task to be.

Rafik Dammak: Just, Debbie, just maybe so that I heard what you said, no English-speaking. But, you know, there are many countries who is English-speaking where they're also developing countries like in Caribbean and (unintelligible). So maybe just we have to promote the developing country, but also to outreach no English-speaking countries. So they're not exclusive, but can include this content, but two, maybe two target.

Debra Hughes: Right, so if you look at the top of Page 3 of my document, I have particularly non-English speakers and those from developing countries and regions. What I really encourage you to do, Rafik, is if you could, propose some

language. That would be great. Again, you know, this is my first crack at this document and trying to, you know, create recommendations.

And really what I would love is for you to dive into this document and give me some specific language, you know, some suggestions. I think that would be fabulous.

Rafik Dammak: Thank you, Debbie, but I think that I made comments to the document. So I'm not sure if they were already included in that document. That's fine. But I can make specific language if it's more helpful.

Debra Hughes: Sure, so what I did with this document, so that everybody's clear, this document is actually a cleaned-up version of the previous document. So I've incorporated your comments into this document. What I'm asking everybody to consider are details, more details. If you provided comments, that's great. But what I think would really be helpful is more details.

And so where your comments were - and I apologize if they have fallen off this document. But what I tried to do was to take the comments that I've received from both Chuck, Olga and from you and incorporated them into this new version, so that it looks less like a bullet list -- you know, my working document was kind of like a bullet list of random thoughts -- and tried to create concepts out of them.

But I think what we need at this point -- and I defer to those of you who are a little bit more experienced at this craft and this process than me -- I think what we really need at this point are some suggested language, suggested strategy points, rather than just broad concepts.

Olga Cavalli: Robert?

Debra Hughes: So for example - oh, I'm sorry. So for example if, you know, to your point, Rafik, it would be great to have some language surrounding, you know, there

are countries that are English-speaking that are developing, and they should not be ignored. And how do we identify those countries?

How do we reach out to them? What are some methods that we can use to reach out to them? How do we identify, you know, the users in those areas? I think that's the kind of detail, perhaps at this point, that we need. I'm sorry, Olga.

Olga Cavalli: No, sorry, I thought that you were done. I interrupted you. Sorry.

Debra Hughes: That's okay.

Olga Cavalli: Just wanted to let Robert -- he was in the queue -- to let Robert speak.

Robert Hoggarth: Thanks. I know, Debbie, you're going to have to take off. So you may want to listen to the recording. No, I'm joking. I think you're right. I think you're right in terms of the approach. At least with this work team, your focus is and the expectation is on the GNSO, and on the organizations and structures that exist within the GNSO.

But I think an important aspect of that is - and you're going about it correctly. How does this strategy that you're hoping to develop, how are these tools going to mesh with the broader ICANN strategy? Remember the vision for the GNSO Council going forward is to be the strategic manager, and to dovetail what's going on in the GNSO with broader ICANN strategic expectations, goals and objectives.

So I think you've got that real focus on the details about, you know, what you think needs to be happening in the GNSO, and then how that combines and relates to the overall organizational efforts. And whether that's leveraging resources or content or other work product, I think that's part of what (Scott) was touching base with last week.

You know, the communications department within ICANN is developing tools that maybe this work can then suggest how they are used, or how they're expanded, or how additional ones are identified and prepared. What I was thinking about in terms in overall approach - and this is really just building off the fact that Chuck just left and he was just in Russia at the IGF there. And, Olga, you just returned from Geneva.

What can this work team do about changing the culture or the attitude within the GNSO -- maybe even the expectations of councilors, members of different groups -- that when you guys are at these meetings, you know, are there specific message points or handouts or other things that you can bring to these meetings that just contribute to promoting ICANN or the GNSO or some of the policy development work that we're working on?

You know, and are there message points that can be included as just part of the regular approach that you guys take to making presentations or otherwise participating in international events? Because, you know, you guys are the true leverage points, I think, in all of this in terms of actually doing the outreach, being the best people to explain why somebody in, you know, Nairobi and Bogotá, should be participating -- why they should join ICANN.

You guys are going to be the best salespeople or ambassadors for doing that. We as staff can help you with the materials, with the resources. But you're ultimately going to be the best salespeople for this. And so as you develop your work on Task 2 here, I think it's really identifying some of the key questions. Who's doing the outreach? Who are you reaching out to?

You know, it's great to say we need to reach out to developing countries, or non-native English speakers. But then what are the specific, you know, tactics or strategies that you can recommend to different constituencies, stakeholder groups, interest groups, if I can use that term as well, would be that really helps them do a lot of the outreach? And so those are just some

general thoughts that I thought would be useful in terms of what you guys are thinking about as you develop this document.

Debra Hughes: Thanks, Rob. And part of what I tried to do was try to organize the document into those types of categories. So, for example, Section 2.1.1 is Identifying Potential Members in Target Populations. How do we specifically do that? Rather than saying it's important for us to reach these populations, what specific recommendations can we provide around that topic?

Are there financial resources that we want to recommend? Are there marketing and other resources and implementation, you know, tools that we want to recommend? And I (unintelligible) that in 2.1.2. I mean I try to set it up that way. I think what I'm needing is some ideas from the group about how we get those details.

(Michael): Yes, hello. (Michael) speaking.

Tony Harris: Can I get in, too?

Olga Cavalli: Yes, sure, Tony. Debbie, you want to - you have to leave now?

Debra Hughes: Yes, I need to dash. But I'll listen to the MP3.

Olga Cavalli: Okay, okay.

Debra Hughes: Next week I will be actually at an airport like right around 9:00, but I will definitely try to call in and join the call.

Olga Cavalli: Oh, maybe I was thinking about maybe we can skip next Friday and work in the document in the list.

Debra Hughes: Okay.

Olga Cavalli: And because if you're busy and you're leaving this airport, and maybe we can find some more information and keep working on the list. And maybe meet the other Friday.

Debra Hughes: And then I think what I'll strive to do, Team, is on the 28th try to see if I can get at least maybe another participant. Maybe from the, you know, somebody from Communications to at least join maybe part of the call if we think that's helpful. And I'll send an email, Olga, as you recommended, to both someone from Communications and perhaps to the Board's Public Participation Committee to see if they think it would be helpful to chat with us.

Olga Cavalli: And I'll be happy to help you in that.

(Michael): Debbie?

Debra Hughes: Yes?

(Michael): Debbie, just on the way out, it's (Michael) speaking. I have a ton of ideas I think I can help flesh out the document with. So I'll work over the next week or two and start helping with that.

Debra Hughes: (Michael), thank you so much. And if anybody wants to talk offline or on the list, please, please. I welcome it all. And thanks for your patience with me as I'm trying to learn all this.

Olga Cavalli: That's okay. You have been doing great.

Debra Hughes: Okay, thanks, everybody. You have a great weekend.

(Michael): Thank you.

Olga Cavalli: Okay, you, too. Bye-bye. Great. Thank you, (Michael), for if you can contribute. I think that we may think about working a little bit more in the list

and in the document, and in that document helping Debbie putting more information and more details as she requested in the document. And perhaps we can skip next Friday and meet in the other Friday, having a more concise document with more information. Tony, you wanted to talk, right?

Tony Harris: Yes. First of all, I wanted to apologize for being so late. But I'm really running around a lot, and I'm leaving for the (LACNIC) meeting next weekend in the Caribbean. So it would be good for me if we do not have a meeting next week. And secondly, I just heard the words that Debbie was saying when I signed on. And I will also take a commitment to contribute to this document, since I think I have done quite a bit of outreach in the last - since ICANN was created, actually. And so perhaps we can help with that, too.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you, Tony. Any other comments? Okay, Rafik?

Rafik Dammak: Yes, just maybe I'm not sure if the Debbie document is in the wiki or not. So and of course I think it's more easy for me to check from the document than to check from Word.

Olga Cavalli: I think that Julie will upload it, if she hasn't done that yet. So maybe we have to wait two or three days. And she will surely - maybe Monday, Tuesday, she will have made it into the wiki so we can review it from there. I'm not sure if the wiki is the best way to add comments.

Rafik Dammak: Just (unintelligible) for checking there when I need. Because sometimes you have many versions of the document in the Word. And I am using Japanese Word, so sometimes it's making big mess. So and maybe another point. So when we are expecting to finish this document? I think that it's the last document that we have in our work team.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you, Rafik. I have not - I should have done, but I didn't provide Philip Sheppard with the date yet. Because I would like to give him a date that we can supply the document on time. Me and Debbie have finished exchanging

ideas, and I think that it could be good to have a document by first of July. I don't know if the group thinks it's a very short time.

I really don't know because we are still starting to develop the document, although I think there's a good spirit of cooperation, and we all want to add our experience, and to do a collaborative work. So I don't foresee a lot of discussions. I see a work that we can all do together to finalize a very good, appropriate document. So that's my expectation and that we have to move forward and see how it evolves.

The idea of submitting Task 1 is by first of July or before. I think that we may do that one week before, if we are okay during this week. And this document could be finished or sent to the OSC by first of July. But I cannot tell yet.

Tony Harris: Olga?

Olga Cavalli: Yes, Tony?

Tony Harris: Just refresh me. When do we have to finish our work completely and move on?

Olga Cavalli: Well we are a little behind our schedule. We should have done this before, but it's okay. We have already talked to Philip Sheppard and they will wait for us. And the last, last, last time we have for the documents to be already done and approved is by the meeting in December in Colombia.

Tony Harris: Oh, that gives us quite a bit of time. Yes. We have some time to really...

Olga Cavalli: Yes, but we have some time. But we took so long to do Task 1, maybe we can improve timing with Task 2. But that's just an idea, although we work for having a quality document and we use the time that we need. I will check with Philip about dates, and I will come back to you and give you the time frame for this.

Tony Harris: Well when you say December, by December it will have to have been sent up and approved by the OSC. Is that correct?

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

((Crosstalk))

Tony Harris: So basically in December it will be up for the Board to approve or something, I guess. Right?

Olga Cavalli: Let me ask Rob. Rob, am I okay with this date? Or I'm saying things that are wrong?

Robert Hoggarth: No, I think you recall things correctly, Olga. When the GNSO Council extended the charters of the steering committees and work teams, I believe the target was Cartagena in completing everything by the next annual general meeting. My recollection is that Philip, as the OSC chair, was much more aggressive in his recommendations and was trying to accomplish as much as possible by Brussels. With you guys finishing Task 1, I think you'll have met the spirit of that effort.

Tony Harris: As far as during the groups go, I don't know if we'll make that from the Commercial - the CSG. Because we are just beginning really to get our teeth into our own charter. I don't think we'll have it finished by Brussels, quite honestly.

Robert Hoggarth: Well that's a different matter, Tony. You know Philip's goals and I think the goals of the Council were really focused on the work team efforts. I don't know if you're referring to more the charter efforts and the constituencies and the stakeholder groups. Obviously those are, you know, are different targets. And we've talked separately in different groups about extending the

reconfirmation date of Brussels to Cartagena. Otherwise, the stakeholder group charter documents aren't due until Cartagena anyway.

Tony Harris: Okay, fine. So we're all on the same page then basically.

Robert Hoggarth: Yes, sir.

Tony Harris: Thank you.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you, Robert for the clarification. Anyway, once we submit Task 1, I will talk to Philip and see which is our deadline for Task 2. Just for reference in the list, (Victoria) and (Unintelligible) have just sent the minority report. Maybe, Claudio, you could check them if they refer to the missing information that she was requesting? And maybe you don't have to send her anything. Or maybe you can check with her if she needs more information. It's a quite long document. I've just opened it. It's about seven pages, if I'm not mistaken. No, that's Debbie's document. Sorry. So try to look at it and see if - it's 16 pages document.

((Crosstalk))

Tony Harris: Olga? It's a major minority report then.

Olga Cavalli: Yes. It's not minority. Majority.

Tony Harris: A major minority report. Okay, I'm looking forward to reading it, yes.

Olga Cavalli: And also, Claudio, just check if you still need to send her some information, or if this is the minority report that she was referring to when asking for more details.

Claudio: Okay, sure.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. Any other comments? So the idea is to skip next Friday and work in the list about Task 2 document. We should have a new version of Task 1. Now we have the minority report from Victoria. It should be included in it. She's requesting some links from Julie, and Julie said that that's okay, that she will provide.

So we should have a complete document for revision. And it could be good if we all commit to, once we have it maybe Monday or Tuesday, to revise it by Friday. And if we all confirm on the list that we're okay with it, I can submit it to Philip. Does it sound reasonable?

(Michael): Yes, it sounds good.

Tony Harris: Yes.

Claudio DiGangi: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: Great. Any other comments? Okay, people. Thank you very much for joining. Have a nice weekend, and we will meet again on the phone in two weeks. And let's keep exchanging ideas for Task 2 in the list. Thank you for joining.

Tony Harris: Thank you.

Olga Cavalli: Bye-bye.

(Michael): Thank you. Bye-bye.

Coordinator: Hello, there.

Gisella Gruber-White: Have a lovely weekend.

Coordinator: You too. Thanks Gisella.

Gisella Gruber-White: Thanks very much.

Coordinator: Thank you, bye bye.

Gisella Gruber-White: Bye.

END