

Marika Konings:Welcome to the GNSO Council meeting of 20 September 2017

Terri Agnew:We would like to introduce Andrea Glandon - SO/AC Collaboration Services Coordinator (she is taking over Chantelle Doerksen's duties while on leave)

Heather Forrest:Welcome, Andrea!

Andrea Glandon:Thank you, Heather!

Rafik:hello all

Ben Fuller:Hi all

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Hi everyone I will only be in AC - Terri can I test my audio now?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:YEAH!

Terri Agnew:Score, dunk

Martin Silva Valent:Hi all!

Julf Helsingius:Hi - I will be AC only too.

Tatiana Tropina:Hi all

Marilia Maciel:hello everyone

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:HI all, now dialed in.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:i Rubens been ages since we talked ;-)

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:Yes, 30 microseconds. ;-)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr::-)

Wolf-Ulrich Knoblen:Greetings to all!

Marilia Maciel:would it be possible to have a phone bridge today? I am on 4G so not very reliable. thanks

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:and I am still on another call but onky a webinar so not to taxing

Marika Konings:@Marilia - if you send your phone number to Terri or Michelle, they can set up a dial out.

Erika Mann:I'm here but can't talk, I'm at the airport

Darcy Southwell:Hi, all. Dialed in now.

Marilia Maciel:thank you maria

Erika Mann:Yes, I'm here

Paul McGrady:Dialing in now

Paul McGrady:I'm on the line!

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:It was Julf

Julf Helsingius:Was me, statement of interest

Julf Helsingius:Have joined NCUC

Philip Corwin:Is there a reason that private chat is disabled by host?

Tatiana Tropina:Private chat works for me...

Marika Konings:@Phil - it shouldn't be disabled. The issue is usually resolved by logging out and in again.

Marika Konings:some kind of bug

Julf Helsingius:No prob, seem to have a delay on the connection

Terri Agnew:@Julf, you may need to upgrade your plug in's I will send you an email

Mary Wong:All, please note that J. Scott Evans, co-chair of the RPM Working Group, is unable to join today's call. However, as you can see, Phil and Kathy are on.

Terri Agnew:minutes from 24 Aug call are posted here:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A_gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar-23sep&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwl13mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSF04VShFqESGe_5iHWG1BLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=kGrWmbCHHomutRhcePIQf7GwxX9fBwsfz8RkCwC76R8&s=ajX6PzLskDxdB7lzuY7J5Wa7YOvzqbGoD6_mNDmm_7w&e=

Julf Helsingius:Thanks, Terri, but won't be able to access email while on AC - don't want AC to go through VPN

Terri Agnew:@Julf, sometimes trying another browser sometimes helps

Terri Agnew:if needed: please download and reinstall the add-in<https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/connect-downloads-updates.html>

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:Julf, Firefox seems to work better these days with Adobe Connect.

Julf Helsingius:Terri, this is probably just an issue with the crappy internet connection from a funky Italian hotel...

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:Mobile Adobe Connect works great with crappy connections.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes even here in AU

Heather Forrest:Understood, thanks James

Mary Wong:I believe it's early October

Marika Konings:Monday 9 October according to the meeting website

Paul McGrady:Did we lose Heather or is it my connection?

James Bladel:she's still speaking

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I hear her

Paul McGrady:Looks like it was me. Dialing back in.

Terri Agnew:@Paul, we can still hear Heather

Mary Wong:@James, that is correct - the Board probably prefers to act on the outstanding items as a package since it was from one PDP, and for IGOs there may be some impact depending on the Curative Rights recommendations.

Paul McGrady:Can't establish a stable phone connection. I'll use the computer microphone, but worry about the quality. Hopefully, I will have nothing to say on the call (ha ha)

Heather Forrest:No second that I know of

Philip Corwin:Thanks James for seconding

Philip Corwin:I will speak to this after Heather tees it up

James Bladel:Ok, thanks Phil.

Mary Wong:DMPM = Data & Metrics for Policy Making (it was a

GNSO Working Group that completed its work in 2015)

Mary Wong:DMPM recommendations, background and final report:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A_gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_inactive_2015_dmpm&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwl13mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xc14I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSF04VShFqESGe_5iHWG1BLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=kGrWmbCHHomutRhcePIQf7GwxX9fBwsfz8RkCwC76R8&s=xmWlnFScEOKI-BNYpDIIBRD0i-MUN2K-AU1Ho5h4EE0&e=

Stephanie Perrin:Sorry to be late, I had an urgent matter come up.

Terri Agnew:Welcome Stephanie Perrin

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Data is essential for data driven decisions of course...

Mary Wong:Do note that the 50K figure is only an estimated minimum.

James Bladel:@Mary - minimum?

James Bladel:What would be a "maximum" or "not to exceed"?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Phil Jeff Newman is listening and he wants you to note there is no current plan for any data requests from his PDP WG

Mary Wong:@James, we will need to work on actual SOW/scope, interview potential contractors and get their sense of what is needed, get ICANN Org indication of how much is available etc. etc.

Terri Agnew:finding the line

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:indeed Paul

stefania milan:Terri, Nathalie ect: I was in thr phonr

Paul McGrady:Thanks Phil!

stefania milan:phone bridge but connection is lost (i am on a train). could you kindly ask the operator to call me back at my norwegian number (+47). they have it. thanks!!

Terri Agnew:@Stefania, the op will dial back out, you are welcome!

stefania milan:thanks much. juggling two phone but audio on adobe reaches me all funny

Stephanie Perrin:Very useful clarification Mary, thanks.

Carlos Gutierrez:I'm on the adobe room now.

James Bladel:@Mary - is there a budget for requests like this, or is this (and other DMPM surveys) unbudgetd?

Donna Austin, RySG:@Darcy, the RySG has discussed similar concerns. I

Darcy Southwell:Question to either or both Phil/staff

Marika Konings:@James - some funding has been set aside for PDP research, but this request would likely eat up all those funds which means that any further requests could not be automatically granted without other funds found.

Heather Forrest:@Marika - do we have a value on that budget set aside?

Paul McGrady:Even if the data does not exist, that is an important fact that will help move the WG forward.

Marika Konings>Note that some additional funding was allocated in response to public comment from the RDS PDP WG Chair, but these funds have been largely used for the legal review that has been undertaken.

James Bladel:We'll close the speaking queue with Rubens.

Marika Konings:@Heather - I would need to check, but I think it is below the 50,000 \$ that is estimated

Donna Austin, RySG:I don't see how questions that are intended to be anecdotal will be valuable data, or reliable data.

Darcy Southwell:@Donna, agree. Also don't know the value of asking for data that we know doesn't exist.

Darcy Southwell:Especially given the cost.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:in my research days anecdotal data lik all non paramentic anaylisis also requires specific treatments in assessment and interpretation

Marika Konings:Staff would try and find the resources needed, but it may have to come out of other activities.

Kathy Kleiman:@Donna: the thinking of the subteam was that it is the Registries, Registrants, Registrants and Trademark owners who know best what happened in the Sunrise Period, TM Claims, what the problems were and what the solutions might be.

Donna Austin, RySG:Agreed Darcy. that being the case is it possible to revisit the scope and focus on the data that will be of most value.

Marika Konings:@Rafik - one of the challenges is that planning for the budget occur way before needs of PDP WGs are known.

Marika Konings:in previous years we had money left in this category as no data was needed/requested

Paul McGrady:@Donna, the problem is that none of us thought of what data we should have been collecting at the beginning of the last Round, so anecdotal data may be the only kind there is since some data is lost if not collected at the time.

Kathy Kleiman:For example, we (WG) in F2F session in Johannesburg heard from some New gTLD registries of some issuess with Limited Registration Periods, Approved Launch Programs, etc. It's hard to go further without more data.

Marika Konings:so it then becomes difficult to argue for keeping it without a concrete request

Mary Wong:One problem is taht the budget is planned for and approved in May/June, for the entire FY - and it is probably not possible to estimate how many research requests we may get during the 12 months that follow.

Marika Konings:but this is probably a good moment to encourage those of you interested in the budget discussions to volunteer for the GNSO Finance Standing Committee when the call for volunteers goes out :-)

Darcy Southwell:Agree with Donna about considering revisiting scope of survey. It's important to get the survey right to produce the data the PDP needs.

Rafik:@Marika I guess with this request we can have any idea at least for how much such DPDM request may need in average, and getting better estimation for future

Marika Konings:@Rafik - agreed!

Donna Austin, RySG:Mary/Marika, do you know how long it will take for ICANN org to consider and decide on this request?

Rafik:@Darcy not sure to understand the issue with the scope?

Marika Konings:and it may also be something where the Council involves PDP leadership teams in budget planning discussions to have a better sense of expected needs for the upcoming fiscal year?

Heather Forrest:@James - I would like to speak to Rubens

Marika Konings:FYI, the proposed amendments by Rubens are now up on the screen.

James Bladel:Carlos - sorry, but we closed the queue. We're way off schedule on this item.

Heather Forrest:sorry - I would like to speak to Rubens' proposed amendments

Mary Wong:@Donna, I'm afraid I don't, as we haven't done this before. That's why the motion includes a resolved clause that asks for speedy decisions.

Tatiana Tropina:Anecdotal evidence are not data but even in serious research they can support the quantitative approaches by providing some qualitative concepts if analysed

Donna Austin, RySG:Thanks Mary, while I appreciate Phil's comment that there is no time limit on PDPs I believe that it is important that the PDPs be undertaken in a timely manner.

Heather Forrest:As a member of the PDP WG, I can say that a great deal of time and effort was put into drafting the request, and hence I can understand if the co-chairs would consider it difficult to accept these amendments

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:It's guided from RySG.

Donna Austin, RySG:correct James

Paul McGrady:@Tatiana, that might be the case, but with no collected "hard" data, and no anecdotal data, we are just left with opinions again. If we end up there, the PDP can wrap up in a week as there will be no consensus on making changes unless there is data showing a need (a merely opposing opinion won't be considered data).

Kathy Kleiman:These questions are important for the WG -- and the subteams have spent a lot of time thinking about them. Much of what we are seeking is simply a professional survey makers neutral wording.

Paul McGrady:@Kathy - agree

Paul McGrady:Delaying this is a mistake.

Donna Austin, RySG:Noting that there are a number of members from the RySG that are active in the RPM PDP WG, so they have context to this request.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:good and effective survey creation is indeed a very specialised skill (as perhaps the analysis - or at least guidance on how to) should be

Paul McGrady:Let's refine the questions on the other side of this vote, working with the survey expert. Let's not hold up the WG's march at the finish line.

Donna Austin, RySG:Is it possible to approve the motion, but undertake some work in parallel to scope the request and develop a timeline.

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:Note that there are no instructions of which ones to choose, just guidance on that to be interpreted by the WG.

Paul McGrady:Is there a consensus on which RPMs "deviate the most from approved policy"? I don't know of any such consensus.

Donna Austin, RySG:@Phil, understand you will make progress on other issues, but if this effort drags on for x number of months, it will likely result in considerable delays.

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:Paul, that would be up to the WG. I can tell you mine, but they are just personal opinions...

Heather Forrest:Kathy is rather hard to hear

Darcy Southwell:If we approve this motion, additional work is needed in developing the questions and scope.

Paul McGrady:+1 Kathy - Yikes!!

Paul McGrady:@Darcy - that is the idea. We will work with the survey experts to refine the questions.

Philip Corwin:deferral = additional delay

Paul McGrady:+1 Phil

Tatiana Tropina:I agree that there is no negative connotation in anecdotal data, normal term for qualitative research to get them as additional data

Susan Kawaguchi:I am concerned that the Council is not supporting the RPM WG. Unfortunately, no data collection surrounding domain name issues is clear but we need to collect data as best we can and not rely on opinion and individual knowledge of those that participate in the PDP.

Paul McGrady:+1 Susan

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:often it is the analysis and use of

anecdotal data that is the key, yes Tatiana
Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Sorry my old research days are coming though here (all multifactorial non parametric analysis work
Marika Konings:Simple majority vote
Marika Konings:correct
Heather Forrest:James - Note Paul and I don't have instructions to vote on the amendments
James Bladel:No one does
stefania milan:I like James' proposal.
Heather Forrest:I would like to see us do something that supports the work of the PDP
Stephanie Perrin:I do too. We need to do something.
Kathy Kleiman:I am now off the phone
Stephanie Perrin:There is nothing wrong with qualitative data.
Stephanie Perrin:In fact, we get too much useless quantitative data here at ICANN
Tatiana Tropina:I am also disagree that anecdotal data are given such a less value but for the sake of moving this forward I might live with this
Kathy Kleiman:+1 Agree wth Phil - tx.
Wolf-Ulrich Knobn:+1 Phil
Tatiana Tropina:+1 Phil
stefania milan:i think the distinction between quali and quanti data is not the most fruitful. what matters is the representativity of the data collected
Stephanie Perrin:Exactly.
Ben Fuller:Anecdotal data is often a very useful adjunct to quantitative data. Many good surveys use both. It is the taks of the researcher to weave them together
Paul McGrady:Would need to see how it actually looks in the text
Marika Konings: Phil, could you repeat your proposed change?
Heather Forrest:For the record, as maker of the motion I consider any amendments from the co-chairs friendly
Wolf-Ulrich Knobn:accepted
Rubens Kuhl - RySG:We just need to change the numbering of resolved clauses.
Kathy Kleiman:I have to drop off for the Jewish New Year. Happy New Year to all celebrating!
Stephanie Perrin:Happy New Year Kathy!
Philip Corwin:L'Shana Tovah Kathy
Rafik:@Kathy it is also Islamic new year starting tomorrow :)
James Bladel:Happy new year!
Martin Silva Valent:L'Shana Tovah to all!
Paul McGrady:Thanks James. Great leadership!
Terri Agnew:finding the line

Philip Corwin:Thank you fellow Councilors!
Philip Corwin:@Rafik - then happy new year as well
Rafik:@Phil happy new year!
James Bladel:Please mute when not speaking. Thanks!
Cheryl Langdon-Orr:it is an equinox, (vernal here) so many
faiths and cultures have significance for this time
Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Huge effort Heather Well Done (even when we
disagreed ;-)
Heather Forrest:With pleasure, James, and many thanks to our
many GNSO participants in the long life of this CWG
Heather Forrest:Likewise Cheryl, thank you for your
longstanding participation
Cheryl Langdon-Orr:More to foollow of course :-)
Cheryl Langdon-Orr::-)
Cheryl Langdon-Orr:correct
Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Excellent
Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes James it was an age ago
James Bladel:Late 2009 when that started? we were just kids
then! :P
Donna Austin, RySG:I think we're running out of candidates,
given the number of efforts currently underway.
James Bladel:Donna = yep. that was predicted in Hyderabad when
we tried to delay/postpone these RTs.
Paul McGrady:Impressive candidates.
Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Yes it will be great to work with Brian
again :-)
Cheryl Langdon-Orr:from my ATRT 1 days with James ;-)
Cheryl Langdon-Orr:he could go for a trifecta
Cheryl Langdon-Orr:he would have my support in that
Donna Austin, RySG:Kudos to Susan for her leadership of the SSC
and the dedication of the SSC members. I believe the SSC has been
successful in providing a predictable process for selections and
removing some of the administrative burden on the Council. Thank
you.
Paul McGrady:@Donna, agree. Well done Susan!
Susan Kawaguchi:Thanks! It is a great expeience and worthwhile
work.
Heather Forrest:The SSC is a significant addition to the
efficiency and transparency.
Cheryl Langdon-Orr:excellent outcome
Marika Konings:once all SO/ACs have provided their endorsements
Susan Kawaguchi:We have 3 candidates for the GAC Liaison so
will provide that recommendation for the next Council meeting
Cheryl Langdon-Orr:and yes a good process
Marika Konings:last time I checked only RSSAC had provided
their endorsements (but this may have changed by now)

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:Minor updates option looks good to me...

Philip Corwin>Welcome Craig

Craig Schwartz - fTLD Registry:Thx PC

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Hi Craig

Craig Schwartz - fTLD Registry:Hi all.

Stephanie Perrin:There is a lot going on at the moment, more time would be great

Marika Konings:Thanks, James. I can circulate the materials from this discussion as a reminder.

James Bladel:Thanks, Marika. Baby steps!

Mary Wong:Some of the other Decisional Participants in the Empowered Community are also trying to finalize their procedures. Some have adopted interim procedures and I believe it may be only the ALAC that has formally adopted new rules.

Mary Wong:Correction - the ccNSO has adopted some Guidelines and is working on the remainder.

Marika Konings:From my GDD colleagues, I understand that in addition to public comment they are looking for formal GNSO confirmation that this is not inconsistent with policy recommendations or requiring policy development. From a GNSO perspective such endorsement could come in the form of a motion or through one of the new processes (for example GGP) although the former is obviously quicker than the latter.

Rafik:I am not sure but I think I saw mention of guidance process?

Marika Konings:@Rafik - yes, there is a GNSO Guidance Process that is intended to provide guidance to the ICANN Board on issues that are not within the remit of a PDP, but do concern new gTLDs

Rafik:I think that was never used before as process?

Marika Konings:sorry, just gTLDs, not only new gTLDs :-)

Marika Konings:@Rafik - correct

Craig Schwartz - fTLD Registry:Expediency is important given the working group has already been at this for a year. GGP would likely add another year to the work.

Rafik:seems we are trying many new things in our toolkit, DPDM, GGP :)

Rafik:can we get an idea who was there in that working group?

Craig Schwartz - fTLD Registry:Thank you Donna.

Paul McGrady:Interesting stuff. Will need to study.

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:Rafik, we need to use all possible acronyms. ;-)

Rafik:I understand that are community TLD but more specifics :

Craig Schwartz - fTLD Registry:i am happy to provide the names of the participants to Donna to share with the Council.

Stephanie Perrin:I think we need more information to make this decision, perhaps we could continue the discussion on email.

Rafik:thanks Craig :)

Paul McGrady:+1 Stephanie. A good item for the list.

Donna Austin, RySG: anyone know when the DGPR roundtable will be?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thanks everyone Bye for now

Donna Austin, RySG: GDPR

Darcy Southwell: Thanks all!

Ben Fuller: Good night all

Heather Forrest: Thanks James, thanks all

Rafik: bye all!

Susan Kawaguchi: Bye all

Tatiana Tropina: Thanks everyone! Bye

James Bladel: @Donna - no date yet.