

Terri Agnew:Welcome to the extraordinary GNSO Council meeting on Tuesday 12 June 2018 at 12:00 UTC.

Michele Neylon:I'll dial in closer to the time

Rafik Dammak:hi all

Syed Ismail Shah:Hello Everyone

Ayden Férdeline:hi all

Martin Silva Valent:hello

Julf Helsingius:Hi all

Erika Mann:Hi - I might not be able to speak, I'm in a area where people can listen. Searching for a more private space.

Keith Drazek:Hello all

Nathalie Peregrine:Thank you Erika, noted.

Carlos Gutierrez (in transit):I'm trasnit, Not so sure how long I can stay in the adobe room.

Carlos Gutierrez (in transit):PProxy to Michele

Carlos Gutierrez (in transit):Echo

Heather Forrest:Thanks Carlos - your proxy is recorded

Rubens Kuhl:I'm here

Rubens Kuhl:Not so far.

Pam Little, RrSG:No worries

Carlos Gutierrez (in transit):can't hear pam

Julf Helsingius:It is a bit quiet, but I can hear Pam OK

Rubens Kuhl:If it doesn't impact, then we strike it out altogether... ;-)

Marika Konings:I believe the focus of the document is to highlight contractual provisions affected, I don't think it meant to imply that there is no impact of additional requirements in the temp spec.

Heather Forrest:+1 Michele - and it was clearly communicated that this is intended as a starting point

Marika Konings:We will share any feedback with our colleagues who have developed this document. As David noted in his email, this is a working draft as further updates may need to be made.

Michele Neylon:they will be needed :)

Marika Konings:Feel free to send any updates / suggestions you may have to the Council list and we'll make sure it gets conveyed.

Keith Drazek:I have shared the mapping document with the CPH GDPR Sub-Group for further feedback.

Rubens Kuhl:What I feel missing, either in this document or in a different one, is the picket fence analysis.

Philippe Fouquart:Neither have we ,Tony and I (sent it) to the ISPCP. Will do.

Rubens Kuhl:Sure, I mentioned it because the mapping is one of the possible places to make that identification.

Marika Konings:I would suggest Council list so that everyone is aware of the input?

Rubens Kuhl:(Mapping document)

Marika Konings:but if someone is not on the Council list they can also send it to me directly.

Heather Forrest:Rubens -we'll come back to your question, I promise

Heather Forrest:Marika I think that's helpful and I'll say that on audio

Keith Drazek:I see the mapping document as a reference that will help identify the possible scope of the PDP or EPDP. It should provide us guardrails for the chartering.

Michele Neylon:+1 Keith

Pam Little, RrSG:+ 1 Keith

Keith Drazek:And also provide a level of focus necessary to complete our work in a timely manner.

Michele Neylon:+1 Keith

Michele Neylon:I'd see it as a sort of checklist in some ways

Susan Kawaguchi:The RDS wg charter and the Board approved Framework developed by the Board/Council committee would be helpful in guiding our thoughts on the picket fence

Stephanie Perrin:It could form the basis of data analysis, which is long overdue.

Keith Drazek:Agree Heather

Paul McGrady:Thanks all. That is helpful.

Heather Forrest:I would be surprised if the Board hasn't thought about possible challenges to the designation of temporary spec

Erika Mann:I would like to comment on this point. Rubens point are important. Unfortunately I have to join an emergency call right now.

Erika Mann:I will write

Erika Mann:I will listen but have to join a call now

Heather Forrest:Understood, Erika - we'll look out for your comments later

Nathalie Peregrine:thanks Erika, noted

Rubens Kuhl:I said that there is another question that is not written in the list, about what is in the picket fence or not.

Rubens Kuhl:Cool

Stephanie Perrin:Agree that this is important. Picket fence items require rationale, also.

Donna Austin, RySG:The response to 11 is a little surprising.

Heather Forrest:We need notification of potential change

Marika Konings:@Michele - I think that is where the liaison may come in (see question 3)

Darcy Southwell:+1 Michele

Ayden Férdeline:+1 Donna. I find the response to #11 unusual.

Darcy Southwell:And if the Temp Spec is revised in any material way with every 90 day renewal, it'll be extremely difficult for the EPDP to adjust.

Rubens Kuhl:Donna, indeed. (11) is kinda like saying the Board dictates law for ICANN contracted parties.

Susan Kawaguchi:Spec 1, item 1.3.4 references maintenance of and access to accurate and up-to-date information concerning domain name registrations. - This would involve accreditation and access to fulfill

Susan Kawaguchi:we must include an accreditation model in the ePDP

Heather Forrest:I understand Michele's concern not as speculation but as identifying probabilities and not when everything is done and dusted

Donna Austin, RySG:If a court case is taken against a contracted party, the result should definitely be part of the discussion and will likely impact the behaviour of other contracted parties.

Marika Konings:It is something you can ask for in the charter in relation to participation of liaison or information expected from ICANN Org?

Heather Forrest:Donna you speak German?

Terri Agnew:finding the line

Philippe Fouquart::D

Marika Konings:That was Dutch :-)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):::-)

Marika Konings:My guess is that Erika dropped

Heather Forrest:OK Marika - picky picky

Julf Helsingius:No, I got dropped

Marika Konings:ah, I keep forgetting that you are in a Dutch speaking country too!

Julf Helsingius:~)

Julf Helsingius:Back on audio

Nathalie Peregrine: Mindmap also available here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A_gnso.icann.org_sites_default_files_file_field-2Dfile-2Dattach_temporary-2Dspecification-2Dgld-2Dregistration-2Ddata-2Dpdp-2D06jun18-2Den.pdf&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwlI3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpClgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0Algn-H4xR2EBk&m=XYmmzUEE04dqxTMgwQX0ayEneX9UD_qOqXBAQ8V7DQc&s=vHlwSPI-p2g2xBoFc7BqNdj5k1adWwV7SBxKRFxcxgU&e=

Julf Helsingius: Thanks, Nathalie, that is helpful

Donna Austin, RySG: The RySG agrees that the ePDP is the path forward.

Susan Kawaguchi: Agree ePDP is the only way forward

Rafik Dammak: there is no so many alternative, EPDP is the way to go

Rubens Kuhl: 25 May 2019 is the effective date for the policy; we need to go backwards to IRT, Final Report and Initial Report to determine when the PDP needs to end. It's more like September.

Ayden Férdeline: I support the creation of an ePDP as a path forward.

Paul McGrady: For clarity, my concern is only about the ICANN mechanisms, and not GNSO Council Leadership's approach of being careful before we launch the ePDP.

Paul McGrady: Quick Question: what is the deadline to get comments back on the mapping document?

Heather Forrest: Thanks, Paul - understood.

Ayden Férdeline: I might as well ask a question then :) How are we going for time, against the timeline shared some 3 weeks ago?

Marika Konings: @Rubens - a draft timeline based on the one year time period was included in this document: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A_gnso.icann.org_sites_default_files_file_field-2Dfile-2Dattach_adoption-2Dtemporary-2Dspecification-2Dinterim-2Dgdpr-2Dcompliance-2D10may18-2Den.pdf&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwlI3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpClgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0Algn-H4xR2EBk&m=XYmmzUEE04dqxTMgwQX0ayEneX9UD_qOqXBAQ8V7DQc&s=QmJhSG53hynTkHF4UZ1ypjXjSYW39GpOwZ-O8KPIlg&e=

Paul McGrady: Thanks!

Marika Konings: @Ayden - if the Council can consider an EPDP Initiation Request and Charter in Panama, it would still be on time :-)

Rubens Kuhl: A policy approved by the Board in 25 May 2019 is likely to have an effective date in September 2019, which is not what some expect...

Ayden Férdeline: Thanks Heather. Very much agree with your approach there; no need to rush ahead without all the information on the table.

Marika Konings: @Rubens - there could be a transition period for implementation foreseen by the EPDP Team.

Ayden Férdeline: Seems slightly ambitious to get a charter developed in two weeks. I am worried about the team formation too - the timeline says that will be done by 26 June, might need to push that back by a fortnight, perhaps?

Philippe Fouquart: @Marika: Minor point on the "mind map but as I understand it after the box "agree on composition eg" the second ensuing line is probably "other SO/Acs. may appoint [...]. each"

Stephanie Perrin: I agree. Better not to rush.

Rafik Dammak: we can adjust the timeline based on current status

Stephanie Perrin: In particular, I don't think we have clarity yet about picket fence items. Need that prior to drafting charter.

Darcy Southwell: Agree we can't rush, but the ending date isn't moving ... we need to be mindful of how much time we need for certain activities.

Donna Austin, RySG: If we can agree that the process steps are correct I think that would be helpful.

Rubens Kuhl: This timeline also seems to be missing IRT

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): If the other SO / ACs know in Panama about the opportunity to appoint that could be business they deal with there...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): or prepare to do so

Julf Helsingius: Cheryl: good point - we should give SO/ACs a heads-up as soon as we can.

Marika Konings: @Rubens - IRT would follow after Board adoption

Rafik Dammak: ywa Heather

Donna Austin, RySG: Comfortable with that communication Heather

Rafik Dammak: yes

Stephanie Perrin: If they are not already listening to this call, they son't get to appoint....(jooke)

Julf Helsingius: stephanie: :)

Susan Kawaguchi: @ Marika, is it a possibility to develop policy on specifics parts and send to Board for approval so that an IRT could be formed before the final report?

Nathalie Peregrine: Tatiana Tropina has joined the AC room

Tatiana Tropina: hi all sorry joined late just finished another meeting at work

Heather Forrest: Welcome Tatiana

Susan Kawaguchi: +1 Donna

Darcy Southwell: RrSG agrees with Donna.

Keith Drazek: Agree, Councilors are Councilors regardless of appointment process.

Michele Neylon: +1 Keith

Philippe Fouquart: (Seem to be experiencing trouble with adobe connect, and chat....) will have to reconnect...)

Erika Mann: Good idea and timely

Paul McGrady: Council of the Whole may be slower than a smaller team, but presumably, it will cut out "round 2" of the Council deliberating over what the smaller team comes up with. I'm not sure what would ultimately prove more efficient, but either option seems reasonable.

Mary Wong: @Donna, all - yes, two sessions on the Tuesday. They were proposed by the BC and IPC so perhaps their Councilors can weigh in here.

Philippe Fouquart: (back)

Stephanie Perrin: How to deal with issues out of scope for the EPDP is a big question, suitable for Panama discussion. There are several options.

Susan Kawaguchi: agree that we should include other parts of the community in discussion of the charter

Michele Neylon: in order for this ePDP to succeed it has to be as narrow in scope as possible

Stephanie Perrin: I just think it will speed agreement if the path forward for orphan issues is clear.

Mary Wong: @Heather, can you clarify which session(s)?

Donna Austin, RySG: @Heather, to be clear, there are two sessions.

Heather Forrest: Yes, thanks Donna

Stephanie Perrin: ICANN has a rather long history of simply leading its orphans off into the woods and forgetting them, in my view.....

Heather Forrest: I feel like an orphan, Stephanie

Heather Forrest: :)

Rubens Kuhl: Stephanie, you described a good script for a horror movie... "ICANN's Orphans"

Paul McGrady: @Susan - I have the same issue. I will need to go back to the IPC on this.

Heather Forrest: Thanks for clarifying, Donna - I was thinking about the Thursday slot

Stephanie Perrin: We would need Jack Nicholson in that film Rubens.....:-)

Ayden Férdeline: There was time reserved in the schedule for the EPDP, right? Can we use those slots, or would the rooms be too small?

Nathalie Peregrine:Draft schedule: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A_gnso.icann.org_sites_default_files_file_field-2Dfile-2Dattach_icann62-2Ddraft-2Dgnso-2Dschedule-2D06jun18-2Den.pdf&d=DwlFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwl3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpClgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0Algn-H4xR2EBk&m=XYmmzUEE04dqxTMgwQX0ayEneX9UD_qOqXBAQ8V7DQc&s=P6Tlt_LV-aoT7JFKb5MICOYk98-G0w7bcnQgrajREiQ&e=

Heather Forrest: Ayden, we haven't actually got spots in the calendar for "ePDP"

Marika Konings: @Ayden - those meetings are in the GNSO room

Marika Konings: @Heather - there are placeholders on Tuesday morning for the EPDP Team (or related discussions)

Donna Austin, RySG: @ Susan, it was there as a placeholder for RDS and then was to be repurposed once the RDS decided it was not meeting in Panama

Susan Kawaguchi: Thanks for the clarification

Keith Drazek: Poor jellyfish....

Mary Wong: Please note that if the Council wishes to suggest repurposing the two Tuesday cross community sessions, this should be suggested to the session proposers (BC and IPC) and the community leadership planning group consulted.

Donna Austin, RySG: Understood Mary

Susan Kawaguchi: I would agree to the RDS session to be repurposed.

Keith Drazek: Perhaps we could request a portion of the time from the two cross-community sessions, rather than repurposing. Do we have a detailed agenda for those sessions yet? But yes, RDS should be repurposed.

Marika Konings: @Susan - the Tuesday morning sessions are already repurposed for the EPDP discussion. The Council just has to decide on an agenda for those meetings, but note that these are in the GNSO room and SO/ACs will have parallel meetings.

Paul McGrady: And for clarity, we are talking about the sessions scheduled for 15:15 and 1700?

Marika Konings: The time that is currently available for the GNSO is 9.00 - 15.00 followed by two GDPR HIT sessions in the afternoon.

Marika Konings: on Tuesday

Ayden Férdeline: RE: the cancelled HIT on Wednesday - is this room now available potentially?

Nathalie Peregrine: Closed sessions can be made open if requested.

Marika Konings: @Ayden - a number of other meetings have already been scheduled in that slot, and not sure if the planning committee would allow the addition of more HIT sessions.

Mary Wong: Note that for the Tuesday morning, the GAC will be meeting on GDPR in its room followed by a GAC meeting with the BGRI

Susan Kawaguchi: It appears we have plenty of time to repurpose without changing the HIT sessions

Nathalie Peregrine: The GNSO meets with the GAC on Tuesday from 11:30 - 12:30

Ayden Férdeline: it also runs in parallel to the joint NCSG-ALAC session

Ayden Férdeline: so it is not just the IPC who would be disadvantaged here

Marika Konings: @Paul, all, these placeholders were announced from the start of the scheduling process so SG/Cs should have been aware of these placeholders.

Tatiana Tropina: yes NCSG councilors are busy in the morning of Tuesday 26th

Tatiana Tropina: we planned this for months that session

Paul McGrady: @Marika - understood, but they were advertised as Placeholder for RDS and not "GNSO GDPR ePDP Day."

Stephanie Perrin: good idea, we only need the subgroup I guess

Susan Kawaguchi: could we schedule an evening meeting?

Marika Konings: correct Heather

Nathalie Peregrine:Correct that is impossible at this time.
Marika Konings:unless you want to meet at the bar ;-)
Tatiana Tropina:afternoon then..?
Ayden Férdeline:it would be very generous if the IPC or BC could spare one HIT for this topic
Ayden Férdeline:perhaps one could be moved to the HIT on Thursday at 17:00 which is also a placeholder
Marika Konings:the question is also do you want to do that in an open setting or Council only?
Marika Konings:or only observers?
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Open to observers might set a good tone
Paul McGrady:Open setting. The faster this goes, the more vulnerable we are to claims we rammed it through.
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):but work amongst yourselves
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):of course
Keith Drazek:Open to observers is fine.
Darcy Southwell:Open to observers.
Stephanie Perrin:transparency is very important
Mary Wong:Don't forget to invite the Board, let them know these times have been repurposed :)
Nathalie Peregrine:understood
Susan Kawaguchi:agree to open session
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Good point Donna
Marika Konings:I guess it depends on the HIT session repurposing?
Michele Neylon:repurposing a HIT would make sense
Stephanie Perrin:It also depends on whether we have a concept of the charter by then....
Rafik Dammak:agree with Donna
Heather Forrest:tell us how you really feel, Michele :)
Michele Neylon:I generally do :)
Tatiana Tropina:yes Michele you so do :)
Michele Neylon:I'm around Monday + Tuesday next week
Susan Kawaguchi:Helpful
Stephanie Perrin:good idea
Rafik Dammak:yes
Michele Neylon:I fly Wednesday
Stephanie Perrin:the more we prep the better
Philippe Fouquart:+1
Donna Austin, RySG:agree it would be helpful.
Marika Konings:some of that has been overtaken by the discussions to date though, but yes, I can circulate
Marika Konings:Staff can already put together the template for the initiation request as well - some of the required info should be non-controversial.
Marika Konings:Idem for the charter.
Michele Neylon:that would be helpful Marika
Keith Drazek:+1 Marika
Stephanie Perrin:not to be a nag, but clarity about the picket fence prior to the meeting would be great.
Rafik Dammak:the NCSG is fairly ok with the proposed composition
Rubens Kuhl:On the suggested composition, one possible addition would be an EDPB member.
Stephanie Perrin:surely they would be conflicted?

Rafik Dammak:there was also suggestion to have legal counsel that can be used as resources , in similar fashion that CWG has

Heather Forrest:Thanks Rafik- that can be captured in the initiation request/charter

Ayden Férdeline:naturally, i support Martin's suggestion.

Rubens Kuhl:Stephanie, we can invite. If they can't or are unwilling, that's fine.

Susan Kawaguchi:@ Rafik what is the proposed composition you are referring to?

Ayden Férdeline:ccwg light @Susan

Rafik Dammak:in the mindmap

Susan Kawaguchi:I would suggest we refer to the RDS WG charter

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A_community.icann.org_display_gTLDRDS_WG-2BCharter&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3Pjp6wrcrwl3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpClgmkXhfzL7ar9Qfqa0AIn-H4xR2EBk&m=XYmmzUEE04dqxTMgwQX0ayEneX9UD_qOqXBAQ8V7DQc&s=UtzqbOtiHYo2sM-CzAesBWrrEU2opQX_TJzrOqQkovg&e=

Rafik Dammak:which is CCWG minus

Susan Kawaguchi:for guidance on the picket fence issues

Susan Kawaguchi:Board and Council agreed to this

Rubens Kuhl:ICANN Org description of what is in the picket fence or not in the Temp Spec would be a good starting point.

Susan Kawaguchi:I am not sure what the CCWG light is

Marika Konings:@ Susan - please see description in the mind map next to the 'agree on composition' box

Susan Kawaguchi:No

Susan Kawaguchi:we have to address the Accreditation

Susan Kawaguchi:and access

Stephanie Perrin:Yes it is a good starting point, then we can discuss points of contention.

Susan Kawaguchi:I am fine with asking ORG

Julf Helsingius:I am being thrown out of temp office. Will stay on phone but close down adobe connect.

Susan Kawaguchi:just as a starting point

Nathalie Peregrine:Thanks julf

Nathalie Peregrine:Will do!

Donna Austin, RySG:I think this is all good information to assist with the charter drafting. my assumption is that the council drafting team would have to agree what sits within the ePDP and what is outside; and also whether there is a need for an additional effort to consider other issues.

Susan Kawaguchi:When did we agree to the CCWG light I do not remember a thorough discussion of that

Marika Konings:@Susan - nothing has been agreed yet, this was proposed originally and got some support and is here now further fleshed out. Some have expressed support for this approach, but it has not been agreed to yet.

Marika Konings:so any input on composition will be helpful to consider for the drafting team.

Susan Kawaguchi:We would also need a course on registrar operations

Susan Kawaguchi:and 101 on how the internet works

Susan Kawaguchi:+1 Paul

Susan Kawaguchi:@Marika thanks for clarification

Marika Konings:There is already a lot of information available as a result of the RDS WG (several webinars was organised). Similarly, a lot of information is available online on all these topics, so if people want to recommend good materials, staff can start adding these to a resource page for the EPDP.

Rubens Kuhl:Certification could be used to skip training hours, but not to exclude participation.

Martin Silva Valent:I just sent an email to the list

Marika Konings:I believe the RDS PDP WG had a briefing by the Council of Europe on the GDPR and other applicable privacy legislations that might serve that purpose.

Martin Silva Valent:https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__iapp.org_train_gdprready&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwl3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpClgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=XYmmzUEE04dqxTMgwQX0ayEneX9UD_qOqXBAQ8V7DQc&s=20h1PSolmasdPxhLX-aJf6ZfithiXrsM8wqJUv4-210&e=

Stephanie Perrin:Yes, Peter Kimpian and I presented at one session.

Stephanie Perrin:Not sure it was well attended

Donna Austin, RySG:I expect that each SG will appoint their representatives to the ePDP WG based on their own procedures and criteria. I don't think we can dictate or presume anything in that regard. If the WG itself believes that a level set of information would be helpful, that can be for them to decide. I don't think this is something we need to prescribe now.

Marika Konings:@Stephanie - but it was recorded so we can repurpose it :-)

Heather Forrest:In light of time let's cut the queue at Stephanie please and continue discussions next week

Ayden Férdeline:@Susan - Yes, an overview of registrar operations is fine. But GDPR is the law at issue here. It's complicated, good to have a baseline of knowledge.

Terri Agnew:finding the line

Heather Forrest:Tatiana - any chance I can shift your comment to next week?

Tatiana Tropina:yes totally

Tatiana Tropina:)

Tatiana Tropina:oh to the list if continue this discussion

Heather Forrest:very much appreciate it, Tatiana

Ayden Férdeline:I could do it in what I consider to be a neutral way, but I am sure others in the community would discount it because I was the author.

Ayden Férdeline:Similarly, the characterisation here, "A baseline understanding of ***what people believe*** the GDPR says," is evidence alone that neutrality will be an issue.

Michele Neylon:+1 Stephanie

Rubens Kuhl:A smaller group will mitigate some of the issues Stephanie mentioned.

Rubens Kuhl:Not all.

Paul McGrady:@Stephanie - I never said privacy was fuzzy. I said GDPR is. If GDPR was clear, ORG would not have spent \$\$\$\$ tasking lawyers what it says

Michele Neylon:did everyone lose audio?

Donna Austin, RySG:I still have audio Michele

Rubens Kuhl:Michele, I lost bridge audio.

Rubens Kuhl:Had to resort to Adobe.

Michele Neylon:bridge dropped me - using adobe now

Philippe Fouquart:adobe's OK

Nathalie Peregrine:looking into it

Nathalie Peregrine:Audio bridge is still connected.

Rafik Dammak:no

Susan Kawaguchi:Thanks Heather great job

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Bye

Rafik Dammak:thanks all, thanks Heather well done

Paul McGrady:Thanks all!

Tatiana Tropina:bye all thanks

Darcy Southwell:Thanks, all, bye.
Ayden Férdeline:thanks all
Philippe Fouquart:Th. bye all
Rubens Kuhl:Bye all, thanks!
David Olive:Thanks ALL
Syed Ismail Shah:Thank you
Heather Forrest:thanks everyone