

**ICANN
Transcription ICANN Hyderabad
GNSO Council Wrap-Up Meeting
Monday, 07 November 2016 at 17:00 IST**

Note: Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar>

James Bladel: Okay, if we could have counselors come back to the table, we are now, ooh. We're eating up all the time that we're ahead of schedule, believe it or not. So here's the story, we are, at five o'clock we started our wrap-up session, but if you look at our agenda we really already kind of covered a lot of the topics that we wanted to cover in our wrap-up session except for two. So if we can plow through those two topics, then we can go home early. Or we can come up with new things to talk about, I guess. Let's go home early instead. Okay.

So just a couple of quick notes. Susan had mentioned that the scope of issue, the scope narrowing of Wolf Ulrich-Knoben, just have one quick thing, we're trying to get a date on when they need the feedback, he had asked us for a date. The date was November 9, that's not happening, that's like two days from now. So we're trying, we've already asked for an extension to that, so we're working on that. Okay, Wolf Ulrich-Knoben.

Wolf Ulrich-Knoben: Thanks James. I have the pleasure of a special announcement. So the non-contracted party's house was able to elect a vice chair, and the name is Heather Forrest. Congratulations.

James Bladel: Congratulations, Heather. And I'm very excited about the, being able to continue working with you for another year. Thank you Wolf Ulrich-Knoben, good tidings. I don't know if we are, what the status is on the contracted party house, or who is authorized to make any sort of announcement or when. (Keith) or ((Darcy)).

Keith Drazek: Okay, hi, thank you James, this is Keith Drazek. I am pleased to be able to advise that Donna Austin has been returned by the contracted party house as vice chair, and we're very, very grateful for her willingness to serve again.

James Bladel: Thank you Keith, and congratulations (Donna), it will be a pleasure to work with you for another year.

Donna Austin: Looking forward to it James and Heather.

James Bladel: We're keeping the band together, all right. Okay, great, that's good news, thank you Wolf Ulrich-Knoben and thank you (Keith), and that is, that's going to, the continuity, there's something to be said for that. I mean, it does take, there is a learning curve involved, and it is good that we are well ahead of the game for the upcoming calendar year. Okay. So we covered that, we covered the vice chairs, we talked about the date that we owe Susan, and anyone who wants to provide feedback to the scope of who is too.

The next item that I'd like to cover is item 2.2, we have a raft of liaisons that we need to fill, and these are for, let's see are they for all IRTs, they are for three IRTs and one GNSO review working group. Now Marika Konings, I may have put you on the spot here a little bit, but the new, sorry? The new guidelines, yeah, have a little bit more definition around what a council liaison to an IRT implementation review team does. So we maybe, can you give us just the 30,000-foot view of what potential volunteers would be signing up for?

Marika Konings: Yes, so this is Marika Konings. In the current circumstances like for a working group, the liaison usually has a role of monitoring and following the conversations so the person's in a position to, one of the council has questions, to either answer those or take those back and forth to the working group or if the working group has specific asks or clarification from the council to do that, and usually eventually the liaison also comes in when a motion needs to be submitted and, but usually it's a relatively lightweight responsibility.

But on, for IRTs on the new principles that have been developed by the policy implementation working group, there are specific role that the liaison may need to fulfill at certain times, especially in those circumstances where policy issues are identified as part of the implementation discussion that need to be taken back to the GNSO council, and also in cases where there is disagreement, either between the IRT itself or between IRT and staff, then the liaison is also a role to kind of assess what consensus exist for taking issues back or what can be done to resolve potential disagreements.

So it may potentially be more work than you know, the standard liaison that we've known so far. So just to make sure that people are aware of that, and if there's interest I'm happy to send that document around so people know what it's all about.

James Bladel: Thanks, Marika Konings. So a little bit more is being asked of liaisons to IRTs under the new framework, and if you could send that, that would be great. I just note that we have a volunteer already for the translation/transliteration IRT, and that's (Amer), and I'm presuming there's no objections to (Amer) continuing that role. The IRTPC and IRTPD, IRT is actually winding down, but still has a role that we need to fill, because I believe that (Jennifer) was the liaison for that role. I don't mean to put you on the spot, but (Darcy), I wonder if you would consider, yes, Keith, go ahead.

Keith Drazek: James, I think I saw a note to the list saying, somebody volunteered and I don't remember who it was.

James Bladel: Oh, it was (Rubens), okay. The only reason I mention is because you had also introduced or tabled a letter on IRTPC, but I think we're taking that in a different direction based on this meeting. So all right, (Rubens) volunteered on this list, I apologize, I haven't been checking the list all day, so are there no concerns with (Rubens) assuming that role? Okay.

The next one would be the, let's just skip down to PPSAI, needs an IRT. Wait a minute, no, it was a tie, you both raised your hand at the same time. So we could flip a coin, I haven't seen a coin in India. (Darcy) and Susan have both indicated that they, I mean there's nothing preventing us from having two. Okay. (Darcy)?

Man: One.

James Bladel: Oh, okay.

Darcy Southwell: I'm not going to fight for it, so, but I'm happy to take it.

James Bladel: Okay. Well, we'll check in with you in about a month or so and see if you think that was a good, okay, fantastic. (Darcy) will be the liaison to the IRT, and then a liaison to the GNSO review working group, I note that, help me out on this one. Wolf Ulrich-Knoben, you're the chair of that group, right, or the liaison?

Wolf Ulrich-Knoben: Actually, Wolf Ulrich-Knoben speaking. I'm just committed to function as a vice chair. So, obviously (Jennifer Wolf) is the chair, well I talked to, we have two members of this group here on council, Rafik is also one. So, and he, can I speak for you as well in this regard? So he also would be (unintelligible) work as a liaison here, so I do the work as the vice chair, he is the liaison.

James Bladel: Rafik, is that all good with you?

Rafik Dammak: Yes, sure.

James Bladel: Fantastic, thank you. So we can make a note that Rafik is volunteering for the liaison to the GNSO review working group, thank you Rafik. And thank you Wolf Ulrich-Knoben for continuing to serve as vice chair. Is that the end of our shopping list for liaisons? Wow. Thanks to everyone who stepped up and volunteered for those IRTs and for that group.

There will be more to come in the future, of course, particularly if some of these PDPs start to reach conclusion. Okay and then another, next item is 2.4, this is the SSR review team selection of members for the review team. I'd like to just kind of, did we cover this, kind of a blur here, if we covered the meeting that we had with the SOAC chairs, but I also remember that all the stakeholder group and constituency chairs were present as well earlier this week.

So the SSR review team, Security Stability Review Team, is starting up. It was a call for volunteers, we have a list of volunteers. The volunteers were told that depending on the state of the transition they would either be selected under the old process, which was defined in the affirmation of commitments, or the new process, which is defined in the ICANN revised bylaws.

Because the transition went through, we're now operating under the revised process and the ICANN bylaws, which is great because now it's community-driven and it's a better process, but it is also, means that we're going to have to learn as we go a little bit because this is the first time we've used these processes.

The GNSO has the ability to submit, let me see if I can get this correct. The GNSO can submit three individuals who will definitely be considered, or definitely be included in the SSR review team. But we can also submit up to

seven individuals who may or may not, but then it will be on the three that we would identify. The additional four may or may not be included in the review team.

My, and we're still working out this process. My proposal or idea would be that we would put together our call for volunteers or that we would take a look at our call for volunteers and that we would identify our three primary candidates for the review team and our four alternate or alternate candidates, and that those alternate candidates would be submitted and included if possible but given that they would be considered in terms of balancing for gender, region, skill set and just maintaining the diversity of the, and balance on the review team. I think the next step is that we have a process where we have to submit that around, is that, Marika Konings?

I have some homework I have to do with this one, to send out to the list, but the stakeholder and constituency chairs have all of this information as well, they were present and they should be circulating this as well during your meetings. We do have a deadline we have to hit.

Marika Konings: Yeah, this is Marika Konings. There was a proposed timeline that was included in the e-mail that was originally sent, which I think had as a target 15th of December for confirmation by the SOAC chairs of the review team.

But what I took away from the meeting that was held earlier this week that all the crews indicated basically that they would need first of all a bit more time to consider the candidates and make their nominations, but also for the SOAC chairs to give further thought to whether there was any kind of natural limitation they would already want to put in place for the overall number and also to discuss and consider in consultation with their respective groups how final decisions or selections would be made.

James Bladel: Thanks, Marika Konings. Just a note that we have nine individuals that were identifying themselves as seeking appointment on behalf of the GNSO.

Again, maximum that we can submit is seven, and the maximum that we're guaranteed is three, so we're going to have to work within those numbers. SSR is a fairly technical under-the-hood review team, but whatever we do for this one would apply to who is in HTRT3, so we need to make sure that we get this test case right.

So my thoughts, anyone have any particular thoughts on how we need to do this, I know you're kind of just going by my 30,000-foot description of the process, but I think if we could come up with the ability to narrow our three guarantees, our three primaries and our four alternates, I think that's a good start. Marika Konings, and then Susan.

Marika Konings: It is Marika Konings, one thing I wanted to add as well, as part of the collection of the information all the candidates, staff, our colleagues and the MMSI team have actually gone through all the applications and matched those against the criteria that were identified for the review team members, and basically provided the indication of whether the candidates I think it's met some, met most or met all of the criteria. I think the hope is that may give some assistance to the groups that are reviewing those candidates and assessing whether or not those could be potential candidates for endorsement.

Again, that may also provide some guidance to the council, where you may want to say, indeed if you want to set a priority, maybe that is a sort of priority you want to use in your list of candidates matching them to those, to the criteria that were identified. But again, it's a tool that staff has provided and maybe something that is helpful.

James Bladel: Thanks, Marika Konings. Susan?

Susan Kawaguchi: So at the Helsinki meeting, you asked (Ed) and I to come up with a process. I'm sorry, I do that every time. Susan, for the record. At the Helsinki meeting you asked (Ed) and I to work on a process and we didn't do that.

Something that just, some basic guidelines about how we could easily, you know, sort of, vet candidates and put them up for selection within the, you know, GNSO.

So we were talking about this the last couple of days, and so we were going to try to come up with something next week. I don't see it happening this week, so, but it sounds like the staff has really done a lot of work on the candidates, but we would need to, I just think we should have a process defined that we all understand to get to those three candidates and the other four that we could, back up candidates, whatever you want to call them, so. Do we have until next week, is the question, I guess.

James Bladel: The short answer is yes, and thank you, that was the next thing I was going to raise is that we were talking about the standing, you know, I don't want to call it a non-com, but a standing selection committee. But one second, Marika Konings. If I could just finish this. But it would be used not only for this but also the liaison and for other positions that we have to fill from time to time. In this particular case, I think the new bylaws kind of spell out how each SO and AC contributes but within each SO and AC we're free to develop our own procedures.

I think that the thing that we would have to be mindful of is that this would not necessarily be a solely council operation, that although the council would ratify that, we would work in close coordination with the SGNC chairs, and to go through that list, so Marika Konings go ahead, and then Heather.

Marika Konings: Yeah, just to note that this is Marika Konings, that that specific item of developing a, you know, kind of stand-up process for making those selections was also something that was assigned to the drafting team. So it's also expected that that is part of that further work on implementing the recommendations of the bylaws drafting team that would look further into. But of course if the council already comes up with something, that may already be something that feeds into it, but on principle it was part of the assignment

of that group is indeed, there are few teams but there are also a number of elements related to the new bylaws that also would require members and appointment of members.

James Bladel: Yes, like for example the representative to the empower community, the CSC liaison, I mean there's a whole raft of positions that we're going to end up filling. So I would say if you and (Ed) want to take this up again, we'd be very grateful for you guys to take a look at that. You have some extra time, but please take a look at the, I understand we kicked the can down the road, but if you can take a look at that report and make sure it's compatible. I don't think this was one of the controversial aspects of that report, because it says to work with the SGNCs and coordinate this across the whole community.

So if you can make sure that your ideas are compatible and mesh with that report, I think we'll be two steps ahead of the game. Okay, thanks for that. And thanks Marika Konings, and Heather, go ahead.

Heather Forrest: Thanks, James, Heather Forest. I wonder if this could also be something that, I see there's a meeting of the SGNC leaders tomorrow afternoon. The idea of the standing selection committee might be something they want to kick around as well.

James Bladel: I think if either Susan or (Ed) would be willing to, I mean, they just asked for more time, and we gave them more time, now we're saying tomorrow. Tomorrow you have to present it, or if you could at least let them know you're working on something and maybe solicit some help from that group.

Woman: Do we know what time that meeting is?

James Bladel: Okay, that'd be great. Thanks, Heather, good idea. And if you can fix this by tomorrow, that's all the better.

Heather Forrest: I'll stay up all night.

Greg: The meeting is at 5 PM, so you have as much time as possible.

James Bladel: Awesome, 23 and a half hours, what more could you need. Thanks, Greg. Okay. And thanks for remembering that, I knew we had talked about that but I'd forgotten where we left it, so thanks for stepping up on that. So that is item 2.4, and it's not just SSR. I mean obviously when we nailed down the scope on who is review team, we're going to have to do this again for that, and ATRT is probably going to kick off some time in January, February. So there's more to come, lots in the pipeline. That's the end of our hit list, correct, Marika Konings? Yes.

Marika Konings: Just a question on 2.3, because usually we identify someone as well and in the past there's always been one of the vice chairs to work on scheduling with staff in relation to the GNSO council-related meetings, and we now have two vice chairs in place, you may want to pick on one of them or...

James Bladel: I think we're going to just, all three of us will be involved and we'll all be on point with that. I think the key is to get the conversation started with the other SOAC leaders and with ICANN meeting staff. So, congratulations on your re-election. We're right in the meeting planning. Closing thoughts? Other topics, AOB? Heckling from the audience? Heather?

Heather Forrest: Thanks, James, Heather Forrest. Very quickly, this tends to be the kind of initiative that the GNSO finds out last about, but you may have heard it in your respective, I think you did, in your SGNC meetings this week. One of the initiatives within the broader ICANN academy umbrella is a new set of training, let's say, for working group chairs. And I've been asked to help out with developing that program.

And one of the things that we're doing is we're putting out a call for identification of folks within our community, or the community at large. If you know of someone who is an effective working group chair or workstream

chair or something, someone with excellent chairing skills, could you please pass me their name in an e-mail and I will communicate that to the folks who are setting up this program or meeting tomorrow to discuss it. Thanks.

James Bladel: Thanks, Heather. Yeah, see? Can you handle it? Heather, thanks for that but I have a question because I think this already came through the registrar mailing list and we already submitted some names to somebody, I just don't know who.

Heather Forrest: There was a suggestion that I made yesterday and (unintelligible).

James Bladel: Okay so we don't have to send those names again. Yeah, (Darcy) go ahead.

Darcy Southwell: Just a quick question. We don't have to nominate anybody, do we? Can't they just apply?

Heather Forrest: It's, this is Heather. So there's two things happening. One is you are nominating folks to attend. The other is we're looking for, this is a very informal thing, we're looking for folks who are models of best practice in chairing, and those folks will be incorporated into the training part of the program. So two separate initiatives, thanks, separate but related. Thanks, (Darcy).

James Bladel: Okay, thanks Heather. Any other, okay, if somebody puts in the chat that I need to go to that, then maybe, they're just trying to be funny. Did we have any other topics? Okay. Thanks, everybody, marathon session but it was technically two councils. Appreciate all of your work this week, appreciate all of your work throughout the course of the year. Looking forward to going ahead with the new council.

There is a council development session, let me just see if I've got this right. There's a dinner tomorrow night first, Tuesday night, right? And Glen de Saint Gery, when and where do we meet for that?

Glen de Saint Gery: James, you can leave from here because there's a cocktail at the end of day tomorrow. At half past seven or quarter to eight, I can have a bus, it's a venue that's very near to this one. And, or else you can find your own way there, I'll send out the details, well I have sent out the details on the list, so it's up to you. I think I'll send out a note asking how many people would actually like to leave from here because we can get a bus.

James Bladel: Okay, yeah and if we have enough folks that would be willing to take a bus, then we can set that up, and then dinner is tomorrow and whenever we're done we come back to here or to our hotels or, we're all at the Westin, can't we...

Glen de Saint Gery: No, you go to your hotel, yes.

James Bladel: But we're all at the Westin.

Glen de Saint Gery: You're all at the Westin, so...

James Bladel: So maybe the bust can take us back...

Glen de Saint Gery: I think the bus will probably be able to take you back.

James Bladel: Okay, Marika Konings.

Marika Konings: Yeah, this is Marika Konings. If you can please let Glen de Saint Gery know if you will not be attending if you previously indicated that you would be in attendance, because it is important that we get an accurate head count, both for transport as well as the dinner. And in relation to this session itself, the agenda was circulated earlier by Glen de Saint Gery, there's a little bit of homework in there reviewing the notes from the previous sessions and hopefully people will have a look at the agenda and, you know, give some

thought to the different topics. So we'll have a lively discussion even though I know it's exhausting after a very long week.

James Bladel: Thanks, Marika Konings, and that was my next item is that we do have the council development sessions on Wednesday from about, what is it, from nine until 1, 12:30, something like that, lunch?

Glen de Saint Gery: James, there will be coffee at 8:30, so that we can start promptly at 9. That so, Marika Konings? Then we go to 13:45 and there will be lunch and there will be a coffee break.

James Bladel: Okay, and that's here, and which room is that?

Glen de Saint Gery: And that's in Granite One.

James Bladel: And that's...

Glen de Saint Gery: That's, if you walk down this passage ...

James Bladel: At the Novotel.

Glen de Saint Gery: At the Novotel, yes. You will find a staircase that goes up and says Granites.

James Bladel: Perfect, okay. So that's the schedule for councilors' dinner tomorrow. Bus leaving from here, we need a head count and then bus departing every, and then taking everyone back to the Westin, and then council development session Wednesday 8:30 AM. And I think temporary alternates are invited, yes or no? No, I'm sorry. There, I did want to clarify that. Okay. But we have invited I think both incoming and outgoing councilors. So.

Glen de Saint Gery: And James we've also invited the chairs or their representatives of stakeholder groups and the constituencies.

James Bladel: Okay.

Glen de Saint Gery: And the (Marcus), (Becky) and (Bruce) will be there.

James Bladel: Perfect, okay. Any questions about those sessions? Nope, no objections. Any other items to raise, or we can call it a day. Oh, (Carlos).

(Carlos): Please, Glen de Saint Gery is there a bus Wednesday morning still from the Westin to the Novotel, or we come on our tuk-tuk?

Glen de Saint Gery: There should still be buses running on Wednesday morning, (Carlos), because it's an official day of the meeting. So I think just look at your bus schedule.

James Bladel: And going back as well...

Glen de Saint Gery: And going back as well, yes.

James Bladel: Okay, okay. Thank you for those details. And that's great. Okay, if there are no other items of business, we will close. Thank you very much, again, for your hard work and see most of you at dinner tomorrow.

END