

**GNSO  
Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC)  
Constituency Operations Work Team  
16 July 2010 at 13:00 UTC**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC) Constituency Operations Work Team teleconference 16 July 2010 at 13:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at: <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ops-20100716.mp3>

On page:

<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#jul>

**Participants present:**

Michael Young – Registries  
Debra Hughes – NCSG  
Rafik Dammak – NCSG

**ICANN Staff**

Julie Hedlund  
Glen de Saint Géry  
Gisella Gruber-White

**Apologies:**

Tony Harris – ISPCP  
Olga Cavalli – NCA – Work Team Chair

Coordinator: Thank you, we are now recording.

Debbie Hughes: I'm sorry, I was on mute.

Gisella Gruber-White: Debbie would you like quick roll call? Good morning good afternoon to everyone, on today's call we have Debbie Hughes, Rafik Dammak, Michael Young. From staff we have Glen de Saint Géry , Julie Hedlund, myself Gisella Gruber-White.

And we have apologies from Olga Cavalli. If I could please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes, thank you.

And Tony Harris will be joining us shortly. Thank you, over to you Julie and Debbie.

Julie Hedlund: Go ahead Debbie, I wasn't quite sure how you wanted to structure the call so I'll let you...

Debbie Hughes: Well yeah, no, I just wanted - were there any other items from Task 1 that we needed to address or are we ready just to jump in?

Julie Hedlund: There's nothing from Task 1 right now, this is Julie. What will happen though, I can give all of you an update as you know the recommendations went out for public comment.

The public comment period ends this Sunday the 18th so I will be analyzing and summarizing the comments as of Monday the 19th.

Actually while we're here I'll go ahead and check to see if there are any comments. The last I checked there were not which certainly makes the summary rather simple.

But I'm assuming that there will be some comments that will come in at the last minute because that's usually when they do come in.

So at any rate once those comments are summarized I will share that summary with all of you on the work team and also with the council.

But the council may ask the work team members to respond to the comments. I see again that there are no comments right now received so hopefully that will change.

But if there are no comments then you know it will be I think on the agenda probably for the next GNSO council meeting to decide how to proceed with the recommendations.

Debbie Hughes: Thanks Julie. So this is Debbie. I wanted to find out from those on the call if you had any opportunity to work on the document or some of these sub tasks or related endeavors.

I know Olga mentioned in her email that she has been swamped with work and has not had the opportunity to get on it since we last spoke last week.

I was wondering if Rafik can comment whether or not he or Tony were able to connect. Hello? Can everybody hear me?

Julie Hedlund: Yeah, I hear you fine Debbie.

Michael Young: I can hear you.

Debbie Hughes: Okay I'm sorry, is Rafik on the line? He was. Maybe we lost him.

Rafik Dammak: I'm here.

Debbie Hughes: Oh okay.

Rafik Dammak: So well the - I think it's a recommendation for global outreach strategy, you have - in fact there is no really update because it's my understanding that Olga was going to send email prior to the conf call but I don't - nothing from our side.

Debbie Hughes: Okay, I'm sorry, I'm having some difficulty hearing but I think I heard that there's really no update, is that right? I'm going to pick up my phone, I had it on speaker, this might be better.

Can you guys hear me a little bit better now?

Rafik Dammak: Yes.

Debbie Hughes: Okay great. Okay so presuming that Tony will join a little bit later maybe we can ask him about his thoughts, but we know that Olga needs to work and maybe over the next week the three of you can really try to make some efforts to either work independently and then come and share you know maybe through email some thoughts so that we can have some sort of - hey is that Tony?

Rafik Dammak: No, no, Debbie I think we are supposed to continue to send to the mailing list to share with other members.

Debbie Hughes: But with you Tony and Olga are going to communicate?

Rafik Dammak: I think that's better if we communicate through the mailing list.

Debbie Hughes: Okay, yeah so if the three of you can work you know as like a sub team as we discuss last week to come up with some suggestions it would be really nice next time we get together to have some thoughts around that, okay?

And Julie could you make sure you put that in our summary as well?

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie, absolutely Debbie I'll put it in the summary.

Debbie Hughes: Great. I know going let me see, to the next - following Julie's email from July 9 that she sent, I know we're kind of jumping around here. I'll go back up to the top - to the background section.

Julie I know I haven't sent you any edits on the background but I've been more focused on the substantive stuff but I will do that this weekend.

And just if you don't mind over the next week just taking a look at it to see if I'm doing the right type of cleanup work, is that okay?

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie, that's fine Debbie and actually if I were you I wouldn't worry too much about the draft because you know that really can be filled in at the end.

I mean it's just really the substantive part of the document that I think you know needs the most work at this point, you know the other section.

So - but I'll be happy if you do want to do that, that's fine, I'll be happy to take a look at it.

Debbie Hughes: Okay. I've been more focused on trying to put some meat on the program portion and Michael, I know the two of us haven't been able to connect. But I've been trying to create some details around that section that I would - maybe I'll just email some of my thoughts to you.

And if we can look at our calendars maybe we can find some time early next week to provide some updates so that we'll have something hopefully sooner rather than later.

Does that work for you? What's your schedule like next week? Michael?

Julie Hedlund: Michael? I see he's still on the line, Michael, are you on?

Debbie Hughes: Maybe he's on mute, he said he was in a noisy area.

Julie Hedlund: Might be on mute.

Debbie Hughes: Yeah, okay. I'll just table that for a second. I know that Olga and probably she hasn't had a chance to do this either, that she was going to work with you and (Rob) to try and you know figure out and coordinate with these other organizations.

I'm presuming that that didn't happen right?

Julie Hedlund: Yes, that's right and I don't think it's really just on the part of Olga. I know she hasn't had time but (Rob) and I have been strapped pretty thin this week too so...

Debbie Hughes: I'm sure, I'm sure. I mean...

Julie Hedlund: So we'll set that up as a task for us.

Debbie Hughes: Okay. And I think so the deadline that we provided to (Philip) and the OSC was mid August and I think just for the record I think we should still really, really strive for that.

I'm just becoming increasingly concerned about our ability because of everybody's huge workload. So I would just ask anybody who's on the phone or listening to the MP3 later to really try to do the best we can within the next week to have something that we could at least report on or some thoughts.

So we can make sure that we're keeping the ball rolling, but I don't want to take up more of anybody's time since we don't have much to report. But I mean Julie what do you recommend? Michael is that you?

Michael Young: Yeah, I just (unintelligible). Sorry, I actually have a fair bit of time next week so compared to previously, so I should be able to help out and contribute a fair bit in the next week.

I've been in Europe since basically the ICANN meeting and I'm back now kind of at home now just this past week, so yeah.

Debbie Hughes: Okay, well what I'll do is I'll - we can communicate offline and send some emails and figure out some times and we can chat. Is that good?

Michael Young: Yeah, perfect. Because I can probably pick up a couple of these things, I'm just looking at the action list from the meeting I missed and I can definitely contribute to a couple of those items anyway.

Debbie Hughes: Okay great and then so does everybody agree that it's important for us to meet on the 23rd? I just want to confirm that it's still a good idea to keep meeting weekly, or should we wait to see what kind of steps we've made.

And maybe it doesn't make sense to meet, I don't know, Julie, Mike, what do you think?

Rafik Dammak: Debbie it's Rafik. Yeah, I think it should be weekly but with the most importance to keep working in the meantime maybe on the mailing list. Sometimes people send remind people remember they have to work in the document.

That's why...

Debbie Hughes: Sure, and that's you know something that I probably have been very bad at doing and I can certainly start sending some email reminders as well, maybe around the beginning of the week and then another one like on late Wednesday, early Thursday just to remind folks to continue to work in between our meetings.

So I think just to summarize everybody's going to agree to work very diligently as best we can over the next week so that we can have some substantive reporting next Friday.

And in the meantime I will send some reminders and just to encourage everybody to continue to work and I think that's all that I have.

Julie any suggestions, Michael, Rafik, anything else this group wants to mention today?

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie, I'll go ahead and keep the actions basically from last week and just urge everyone to address them and we'll work towards them having something substantive to discuss by next Friday.

And you know we'll just try to keep things going.

Debbie Hughes: Sounds good. Anything else that anybody would like to mention? Okay well sounds like we all just need to do some work and it's just going to take you know some time for us to actually put some pen to paper.

So unless there's anything else I don't think I have anything else Julie and Michael.

Julie Hedlund: And Debbie this is Julie, I should let you know that the operator did try to reach Tony again but he is not able to join today so we don't have worry about him trying to get on the call now after we've left early.

Debbie Hughes: Okay.

Rafik Dammak: So Debbie? It's Rafik again. So maybe it's just I think that we - if you can do a issue summarize what we need to do for the documents. I understand that we have the outline that's sent by - previously by Julie but if you can summarize precisely what we need to do and if we have already in mind what kind of format for our document.

Debbie Hughes: Okay, so you're saying for your section you want me to give you some details on what the...

Rafik Dammak: Just maybe kind of summary for - as the whole document, what we - I'll say what kind of format we are expecting, so just...



Debbie Hughes: Well I thought - I'm sorry Rafik, I didn't mean to cut you off, I'm sorry, go ahead.

Rafik Dammak: That's okay.

Debbie Hughes: Yeah, no, the format I thought was the format that we've been working off of and what I'd hoped was that we would take the draft that I've - the last version of the draft that we started discussing in Brussels and then that I updated last week.

And that that would be the format of our output. And so that the document and the work that we're asking to do is - so for example Debbie's going to work on a particular section or Rafik, Tony and Olga are going to work on putting the - making sure that section looks fine.

And have the content and the recommendations that we need, is that answering your question or maybe I'm not understanding what your summary - what kind of summary are you looking for?

Rafik Dammak: Maybe just so if you know so we're not wasting time, so for the next conf call we ask to make kind of review so because each sub work team will add its section.

And then in the conf call we can make kind of a preview so we can - so we aren't going to waste time and that the - we can process quickly so we can edit and refine the document for in each conf call.

Debbie Hughes: Okay, so are you suggesting that I ask everybody to send me in advance their language so I can put it into the document? Is that what I'm hearing?

Rafik Dammak: Not necessarily but if we are supposed to that it's a work team working on each section, so and then we will add that to the documents and then in the

conf call if it can be really maybe more efficient that we work more in to review and to edit the document, the whole document.

So and then you know we can sort about the comp systems, etcetera, that document. I'm just not to leave a task to the end because what I see in the preview steps it takes a long time and so...

Debbie Hughes: Okay, so you're suggesting that you want to make sure that we're spending the time on our conference calls to actually edit and review the document.

Rafik Dammak: Yeah, maybe.

Debbie Hughes: Okay, so in order for us to do that we have I think more content. So that's what I've been asking and maybe I can make that more clear in my emails and maybe Julie you can help me make that a little bit more clear in our summary.

But I will certainly send an email to the list that says I think our - you know based on Rafik's advice and I agree that our time would be you know best spent you know talking about substance. But we need more substance Rafik I think.

So I don't know that like for example at this point today it would be very valuable to go line by line through the document because there's a lot of pieces that are still missing. So what I'm hoping is that people are going to spend time between each meeting to fill in and create that detail.

So that we get to the point where we can actually go through and I understand what you're saying, you hate to go at the end and start you know cleaning up each section.

But in order for us to start cleaning up anything I think, this is just my opinion, I'll let others you know chime in. I don't think we have enough substance yet to really look at each section and start picking it apart.

What I was hoping is that we could take each section and divide it amongst ourselves and create that detail. Once we have that detail in the document, I think it's very important, I think it's a great idea sooner rather than later, once a group has a substance in that section to take a look at that section and get it nice and pretty and have language that everybody supports.

But for my opinion and I'll - again I'll stop after I say this, I'm not sure that we have enough to start doing that process. Michael I don't know what your thoughts are?

Michael Young: Oh I agree with what you're saying, absolutely.

Debbie Hughes: Okay.

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie. Debbie, I have something that perhaps I can do that would help this process. I - what I will do to make it clearer in the actions and summary and the Wiki and what I will send around to the list today, I'll make it clear where - which section is assigned to which sub team or which sub team is working on each section.

You know and of course I'll attach the document again but to Rafik's point I think - and Rafik correct me if I'm wrong but I - what I think Debbie - well I think what we're trying to do is we've got a document.

So we're not asking the sub teams to create a separate document but to add content to the existing document that Debbie has created. And if it's not clear where each sub team needs to work in the document then I'll try to make that clearer so that Rafik for instance you will know that you're working on section you know X, Y or Z within the document that Debbie has sent around.

Would that help?

Rafik Dammak: Sorry Julie, I know I think that you sent already in week for each section that the sub work team is supposed to add the content. So if I see Section 2.1 or 2.1.1 so I understand that in which section we need to add.

So it's not the problem, just I was suggesting that all - each work team will add the content to the document to the defined section and then in the conf call we just will go to go through the document and to edit it.

So that's what I was suggesting.

Julie Hedlund: Oh thank you, this is Julie, thank you Rafik, that - I wasn't quite understanding what you were asking. But I'm glad to know that that's clear from what I've sent in the summary where people need to provide their content. Thank you.

Debbie Hughes: Great, so I think what makes great sense is as the sub groups are coming up with their language if they could put their language in a version of the document. And Julie I'm going to ask you to help us with version control.

And so you know - if Michael and I have content that we want to add to the document that we actually put it in the body of the document and then you know when Rafik, Olga and Tony for example come up with their language, we actually put it in the document so that consistent with what Rafik is saying you know on each Friday or before.

We actually have an updated version of the document that has the content from everyone.

Julie Hedlund: Yeah, this is Julie, Debbie I - that would be extremely helpful. What I can do then, ideally if I can have everyone's content sometime on Thursday I can

combine all of that into one document and send that around so that everybody will have it Friday morning for the call to refer to.

Debbie Hughes: Good. All right.

Julie Hedlund: Great, and I'll emphasize that deadline in the message as well just to ask people if they can - if they have content to get it to me by Thursday so I can put it in.

Debbie Hughes: Okay. Well I think we're good to go unless anybody has anything else, I think we should adjourn at this point.

Julie Hedlund: I have nothing to add.

Debbie Hughes: Rafik or Michael, do you have anything else?

Michael Young: No, that's it for me.

Debbie Hughes: Okay, Michael I'll send you an email and we can start working on that.

Michael Young: Perfect. Okay.

Debbie Hughes: Thanks so much Rafik.

Julie Hedlund: Thank you everyone, thanks Debbie.

Michael Young: Bye.

Julie Hedlund: Bye, have a good weekend.

Rafik Dammak: Have a nice weekend. Bye.

END