

**GNSO
Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC) Constituency Operations Work
Team
20 August 2010 at 13:00 UTC**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC) Constituency Operations Work Team teleconference 20 August 2010 at 13:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at: <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-constituency-ops-20100820.mp3>

On page:
<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#aug>

Participants present:
Olga Cavalli – NCA – Work Team Chair
Michael Young – Registries
Rafik Dammak – NCSG
Debra Hughes – NCSG

ICANN Staff
Julie Hedlund
Gisella Gruber-White
Glen de Saint Gery

Apologies:
Tony Harris – ISPCP
Victoria McEvedy - IPC

Gisella Gruber-White: We'll get the recording started here. (Nikki), would you be so kind as to get the recording started. Thank you.

Coordinator: Thank you. The recordings have been started. Please go ahead.

Gisella Gruber-White: We'll do a quick roll call if you'd like to Olga. On today's call, it's Friday August 20. We have Olga Cavalli, Rafik Dammark. From staff we have Glen de Saint Gery, Julie Hedlund, myself Gisella Gruber-White. Debra Hughes has just joined us as well. We have apologies today from Tony Harris. And if I

can please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you. Over to you Olga and Julie.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you very much Gisella. Hi Debbie.

Debra Hughes: Hello.

Olga Cavalli: How are you?

Debra Hughes: I'm doing good.

Olga Cavalli: Great. Thank you.

Okay. My proposal for today's call is the following. I made some additions of text to the document. I read it. I think it's a fairly good document. I don't know Debbie, if you want to add more text or you have some new proposed text? Or Rafik? I think that we should finalize at some point today or maybe up to Monday a document, and then send it to the whole working team so they have the chance to review it perhaps during one week, and then, send it to the OSC.

Maybe it's not a perfect document. Maybe we can add some more text or some more examples. But I think at a point, we have to just decide that it's a version that we want to share with the working team and with the OSC. I don't know - Debbie, you have been leading this, so this is only my suggestion on how to move forward, and I'm happy to hear your comments and Rafik's comments.

Debra Hughes: Yes. I apologize that I had to miss last week, and I'm going to have to jump off here pretty soon. But, I think - I don't know if there are other areas where we need more content. If there are not additional comments from this sub-working group, then I think we should work towards trying to finalize this. I agree. I think it's a good approach.

Olga Cavalli: Great. So Julie, could you take this version and polish it as much as you can? Maybe for example, that there are some additions of text that I included about needing additional details and blah, blah, blah and taking those out. And, I think where we need some wording it's at the end. Maybe we can decide to leave it or take it out, because in the last, last, last point we say 2.2.5 recommended implementation timeline. I think that this is going a little bit far at this point. This is more an implementation issue that come once the Committee is hopefully already decided to be done.

Julie Hedlund: Right.

Olga Cavalli: So, my suggestion would be perhaps to take it out and not make any reference now about recommendation timelines and how many times are we going to review our work and all that, and see the text as it is a little bit more perhaps reviewed.

I don't have the feeling - I read all the document, and I think it's quite good. So, I would take those references that seem have to be completed and prepare a draft version and share it with the working team.

One comment that I would like to add, and I'm not sure if I'm right or not, but just had that feeling when I read the whole document. It said we are going a little bit into communication things - communication issues, and I am not sure -- and I'm not saying that it's yes or no -- but I'm not sure if we should go (unintelligible) into that. Any comments from somebody?

I pointed the text in the - when I was reading, I just included some comments in the text just because I had this feeling that those paragraphs were a little bit more into communication issues. But, maybe we can leave it as it is and see the reactions of the working team.

Rafik Dammark: Olga?

Olga Cavalli: Yes?

Rafik Dammark: Okay. I think that we discussed about that in the last meeting.

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Rafik Dammark: So, outreach is not a - we tried to contact people and to convince them to join and to involve within ICANN, but communication is also part of outreach, because people will try to see materials to see how ICANN communicate about its activities. So, it's somehow related to outreach activities. Maybe, we don't need to go in detail about communication, but we need to see how to make clear ICANN communication with our outreach activities.

Olga Cavalli: I agree. So I agree with you, and I didn't say we should delay this, just making some reflections about it. I just had a feeling that perhaps it's a gray area and we have to talk with other committees and communication participants. So, let's leave the text about those activities as it is.

So, are we okay if Julie can polish this version a little bit and we share it with the working group? Perhaps - I don't know Julie, are you - I know you're listening, but you're mute.

Julie Hedlund: Actually, I'm off mute now, Olga. This is Julie. And, I'd be happy to take the documents and polish it a little and take out the highlighting and so on. And, I would be able to get it out to the full work team today to begin their review.

Olga Cavalli: I think it's a good idea. Debbie, Rafik, are you okay with that too? We move forward. We have enough time for doing this.

Rafik, go ahead.

Rafik Dammark: Yes. Sorry. But just maybe do we need to extend or to edit Executive Summary?

Olga Cavalli: I would suggest the following. Once we send it to the working team - Executive Summary, we could work in the last, last version before sending to the OSC, because maybe some working team members may add some text or may want to delete it. So, my message to the working team would be, "Okay, this is a draft. Executive Summary will be finalized once you agree with the general body of the document. So, we can review it perhaps next week." You think it's a good idea?

Rafik Dammark: Okay.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. Debbie, are you okay with that?

Debra Hughes: Yes. That sounds fine for me.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. So...

Julie Hedlund: And Olga, this is Julie. I think that's a good approach too, because we are getting very close to our deadline and I think the sooner we can get the document out to the work team to review the better.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. So Julie, do you have any idea of when could you - and I'm not putting pressure on you. Just to have an idea how to plan the date. When could you do the next version?

Julie Hedlund: Yes Olga. I can get it out today. In fact, I think I can get it out this morning, because I don't expect that it will take a lot of additional edits. I will read it very closely.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Julie Hedlund: I can definitely get it out today.

Debra Hughes: And so, is...

Olga Cavalli: Okay, so why don't you...

Debra Hughes: Oh, I'm sorry. Go ahead Olga.

Olga Cavalli: Sorry Debbie. I couldn't hear you and I interrupted you.

Debra Hughes: No. I was just going to ask a question. So then, the idea would be that the next meeting that we have on Friday would be a full work group?

Olga Cavalli: Yes. That's the idea. So, if we are able...

Debra Hughes: That sounds good.

Olga Cavalli: ...to send today the document, then I can stress the message from Julie saying, "Okay guys, take a look at this. Read it. Make comments if you can. And, once - and we have full working team meeting on Friday and see where we are." If there are a lot of comments and a lot of additions, then we see what is the strategy? We wouldn't know just during the week if it would - their reactions. And if it's almost there, then we can finalize the wording and send it to the OSC.

Debra Hughes: That sounds good.

Olga Cavalli: Great. So, we have a plan now. So Julie, could you do that for us? That would be great.

Julie Hedlund: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: And, as soon as I receive it I will send it to the group, and I insist a little bit. And if perhaps - Michael, I know that he wanted to make some additions about the workshop, and if he can do that next week also. So, it's not that if we see something that is wrong and we didn't notice, we cannot change it. I mean, it's for...

Julie Hedlund: Right.

Olga Cavalli: ...it's still for revision.

Great. Comments? Any other suggestion?

Rafik Dammark: Let's start to - maybe to comment to your comments.

Olga Cavalli: To comment my comments?

Rafik Dammark: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: You want to comment on my comments? Go ahead.

Rafik Dammark: Yes. That last time what we did, I think that we progressed well like that.

Olga Cavalli: So you want to comment something Rafik?

Rafik Dammark: No. Just if - to see what you added. Really, I didn't read the document, so sorry.

Olga Cavalli: Oh, you want to see what I added. Great. Just very briefly, what I added some comments that I made in some of the meetings I think in Brussels, is that we should select key universities that would be interested in a relationship with - in a kind of permanent relationship with ICANN. And, find some key persons in the university that could help preparing documents and teaching materials available in the documents.

The idea would be to have one university per sub-region. When I mean sub-region, I say for example Latin America is quite big, so maybe one in southern corner of South America, one in Mexico, and one in say Columbia or Venezuela you know, or one in Brazil.

Rafik Dammark: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: And of course, you in Africa would advise which are the sub-regions that are useful for dividing this perspective. And then, have - the Outreach Committee should contact these universities as to be the key point for outreach and teaching. And for example, working with some professorships in including the general coordination of Internet as one of important matters in their - in what they study, or in having materials in different languages for the students, or being invited or being promoted through fellowship to ICANN meetings.

And so, these universities would be like key points of contact for outreach in two ways. To ICANN and for ICANN. That's the main concept of this paragraph in point 2.1.

Rafik Dammark: Olga?

Olga Cavalli: Yes?

Rafik Dammark: Wait. Maybe also in addition to university, we can add the research center, et cetera. For example, if I see in Japan there is that GLACOM which is quite active on Internet governance issues. So, it's research center and then ICANN...

Olga Cavalli: Okay. Okay. Julie could - did you capture that? At universities and research centers.

Julie Hedlund: Yes. I did capture that. This is simple.

Olga Cavalli: If it's very simple we can add it. I think it's a very good suggestion.

Did I hear someone else on the line?

Michael Palage: Michael joined.

Olga Cavalli: Hey Michael. How are you?

Michael Palage: Good. How are you? Sorry to be late.

Olga Cavalli: No problem.

I think it's a good comment Rafik. And, I don't recall now if I did some other addition. I really read it all, and I think it was a very good document.

Michael, we were talking about doing the following, and see if you agree. I don't know if you want to add more text to the document now or maybe today or tomorrow? Did you have a chance to review it and check if you liked the document as it is now?

Michael Palage: I didn't completely go through the document. I did get a quick cursory look. I'm mostly liking. I would like the opportunity to go - to finish a detailed read though.

Olga Cavalli: Okay. Because we were planning to follow it, but now that you have joined, maybe we can change it a little bit. The idea would be at some point early this next week or perhaps during the weekend, to have a version for the whole working team review. So if you want to add some text or give it a last read, could you do that perhaps by Monday or Sunday? I know it's horrible to do that on the weekend, but we are a little bit late with this.

Michael Palage: Yes. It's not a problem. I can do that.

Olga Cavalli: So once you have some comments and additions, Julie could prepare a last polished draft version and we send it to the working team. And next week to next Friday, we would have a full working team meeting for reviewing the whole document. And during the week, we can see the reactions. If there will be a lot of comments, a lot of additions, or if the group just likes it and there is not a lot of changes.

So once we agree in the last version, we can send it to the OSC, hopefully by the end of August. That's is what our original idea. Do you think that sounds fine?

Michael Palage: Yes. I'm perfectly good with that. That makes good sense.

Olga Cavalli: So, if you could be so kind to make those additions or comments to us in the next two days, and then we have - and then Julie, once Michael has sent his comments and/or additions, or whatever, then we have that last draft full list version and we send it to the working team.

One comment that we would make when we send it is that Executive Summary will be finalized once everyone has had a chance to review it. So, we are not just finishing now the Executive Summary for this draft.

Julie Hedlund: So Olga - this is Julie. So, I understand that I will expect to receive Michael's comments to the document that you have commented on Olga, and that I've sent around to the work team by no later than Monday, and I will...

Olga Cavalli: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: ...on Monday to send a cleaned up and final edited version without the Executive Summary to the full work team to review and comment on for next Friday's meeting.

Olga Cavalli: Yes. Exactly. Are we okay with that?

Great.

And Michael, if you think that you are okay with the document as it is and you have no comments, just let us know that.

Michael Palage: Yes. I'll post that to the list for sure.

Olga Cavalli: Maybe really then, you think - okay, I have been adding some text, Rafik has done the same, and so I think - I read it all, and I added some text during the weekend. I think it's a good document. It's something good to present and decide - what I suggested also, just for your knowledge, to delete the last point 2.2.5, which goes into some timeline and review - research, reviewing. I think we are going a little bit into some details which are related with the implementation of the Committee.

So, maybe we can take it out and then (look something) time now in defining how much they have to meet and when it will be reviewed. That's quickly done in the future, if the Committee is decided to be made. Do you think that's a good idea?

Okay.

Michael Palage: Sorry Olga. The last few sentences were breaking up on me. Can you hear me okay?

Olga Cavalli: No. I couldn't hear - I can hear you now, but I couldn't hear you before.

Michael Palage: Okay. Can you just repeat the last thing you said?

Olga Cavalli: Yes. What I suggested a while ago is that if you go to the last part of the document, last section is 2.2.5. Its recommended implementation timeline

and assignment - assessing results. That needs more wording. But in my opinion, we don't lose time now in doing that, because that goes into some details about how many times the Committee will meet, how many times the Committee will be reviewed and all that. And perhaps, that is something that could be done in the future and decided in the future once the Committee has been formed.

And so...

Michael Palage: Yes. I don't think that this is - I don't think we should be doing this part of the work. I agree.

Olga Cavalli: So, if we going to complete it now, we will take a lot of time thinking how many and how far, how often, and it doesn't make any sense now. So, my suggestion was to delete that last two or three paragraphs and leave it as it is. And then Julie would polish on the document and take out some comments from us. And of course if you want to add yours, those are welcome.

Michael Palage: I'm in agreement with removing it.

Olga Cavalli: Great. So, any other comments?

Debra Hughes: I apologize. This is Debbie. I have to jump off.

Olga Cavalli: Don't worry Debbie. We have a plan now, so thank you very much. You have been making a great job leading this sub-working team.

Debra Hughes: Thanks everybody for their help.

Olga Cavalli: So thanks a lot, and we keep in touch during the week, okay?

Debra Hughes: Absolutely. Thanks everybody.

Olga Cavalli: Have a nice weekend, Debbie.

Debra Hughes: Bye-bye. You too. Bye-bye.

Olga Cavalli: Bye.

Okay guys. Any other comments?

Julie Hedlund: Great. Well Olga, this is Julie. I will wait and see - Michael, if you could let me know whether or not you will have changes. And if you do have changes, if you could send them with the document that I sent out late yesterday that has Olga's comments, then I'll plan to polish up the document...

Michael Palage: Yes. That's the version I'm looking at now, so okay.

Julie Hedlund: Great. Thank you.

Anything else Olga?

Olga Cavalli: I think we are done. Any other comments?

Okay. We have a plan. Thank you very much for joining. Let's keep in touch during the week, and I wish you a very nice weekend.

Julie Hedlund: Thank you very much Olga. You have a nice weekend too. Everyone, have a nice weekend.

Olga Cavalli: Bye-bye.

Glen de Saint Gery: Bye.

END